PDA

View Full Version : geodata only in usa and some parts of canada

dj_eddie
July 24th, 2007, 07:58
When i see this in the threads all the time are you referring to the Google Maps only containing geodata from usa and some of canada??

If not, then please explain.

Thanks

Eddie

AlexRoxUrSox
July 24th, 2007, 10:00
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/usgs_tiger.zip
For the US

For canada:
http://www.in7ane.com/psp/maps_toporama_canadian_parks/

Google maps does not contain Geodata.
Get your facts straight.
Geodata is added to the map when downloaded.
and when prompted where to add it , you select the file corresponding to your area.

dj_eddie
July 24th, 2007, 13:32
First of all, don't tell me to get my facts straight. I'm asking question.

Is it US and Canada only because in7ane only has geodata for those countries??

If i get my hands on geodata for australia will it work??

appleappletwo
July 31st, 2007, 21:36
First of all, don't tell me to get my facts straight. I'm asking question.

Is it US and Canada only because in7ane only has geodata for those countries??

If i get my hands on geodata for australia will it work??

Check the GMDL, there is a "geodata" button on the left up corner. click the button will pop a dialog with several tabs (US, CANADA ). not sure Australia is among those tabs. If yes, click the tab. and 1) specify the map 2) specify the geodata source 3) click the save geodata and wait..........

if Austrlia geodata is no included, you should buzz the in7ane and hopefull they can deal with it in the new version of gmdl

hope that helps......

schnab
August 5th, 2007, 16:34
Just a simple question. What is geodata/what is it good for?

deniska
August 5th, 2007, 18:05
currently it's there for matching gps coordinates to street addresses

sneaky101
August 6th, 2007, 14:37
2nd explanation:
it lets the gps know what street you are on, not just the eastings and nothings.

so if the geodata existed, you could click 'address lookup' on mapthis and it would let you search for streets, but since australia still doesnt have third party geodata files, then all you can do is watch where you are on the map.

edit: and i'm VERY despo to get geodata files for australia. if you think about it... Its a big country. it needs geodata files!!

dj_eddie
August 7th, 2007, 13:52
2nd explanation:
it lets the gps know what street you are on, not just the eastings and nothings.

so if the geodata existed, you could click 'address lookup' on mapthis and it would let you search for streets, but since australia still doesnt have third party geodata files, then all you can do is watch where you are on the map.

edit: and i'm VERY despo to get geodata files for australia. if you think about it... Its a big country. it needs geodata files!!

Thanks for the explanation.

I did some googling and found this link
http://www.killetsoft.de/p_igsa_e.htm

Is this what we need to get our hands on?? (But something cheaper than $700)

I have a relative who is an apprentice civil engineer who might be able to get his hands on geodata but not sure if its at street level.

Ill keep you posted

schnab
August 8th, 2007, 11:17
Which format does mapthis need?

AWESOM-O
August 8th, 2007, 17:35
Does maybe someone knows of there are any geodata's for Belgium ?

Pls let me know.. :)

victorcai
August 10th, 2007, 08:07
Hi all,

Does anyone here know where I can get the geodata of Denmark since you said Denmark is a exception in Europe area where most of the countries' geodata are not available.

I really appreciate that you can help me with that.
(And Thanks to deniska for mapthis and in7ane for gmdl and many others....)

inthemix
August 19th, 2007, 15:27
desperate for geodata for Sydney, Australia

i'm curious, is there anyway to extract geodata from the discs that come with commercial GPS units such as a Navman?