PDA

View Full Version : PSP To Get Homebrew Support ?

wraggster
July 25th, 2007, 06:33
An interesting comment in the mail bag over at IGN, heres the comment in full detail:

Why not have some homebrew game support?

-- carterman

Hey--

Yeah, why not, Jack?

"I think that is something that is in the works," he said. "We certainly see some of the stuff that has been done via homebrew, and it's incredibly creative. And I think we'd like to try and tap into that a little bit more."

Dave added to Jack's comments by saying that moving to forward with homebrew software has one main hurdle to cross -- figuring out how to support the new content without putting the PSP at risk.

You know some hacker wants to brick your baby for fun.
Greg

Interesting eh ?

xg917
July 25th, 2007, 06:44
i didnt get it. lol

i think im jsut stupid

[Roger]
July 25th, 2007, 07:10
so possible pay for homebrew

Chameleon
July 25th, 2007, 07:13
this doesnt mean shit... rss feeds where derived from homebrew!!!!!

splodger15
July 25th, 2007, 07:21
How are you going to make sure the code is not malisicous and cause PSP's to brick I think I would rather stick to custom firmware

ish420ism
July 25th, 2007, 07:21
I just want to know why is the isoblocker thread closed????? You guys don't like an app so you close down the thread??? that's weak. The next official and custom firmwares should come out with that app preinstalled.

Spotfist
July 25th, 2007, 08:21
Why doesn't Sony just make a UMD for running homebrew surely if they charge 'x' amount of cash for it that could cover most of the piracy costs? I personally would never Pirate games on consoles, Iv always thought that was the job of the PC hehehehe

It does make me wonder though, piracy is clearly an unstoppable force! I don't think any protection will do away with this, there will always be some1 smarter who will work a way around it but what really get's me is that I can't enjoy free games and free programs that would never be released i.e homebrew because Sony think I will pirate games!!!

Personally I would much rather pay for a UMD that allows me to do these things as apposed to being treated like a criminal and paying £100 odd for a system that I don't even get to use propperly!

Chameleon
July 25th, 2007, 08:37
just beacause you have morals doesnt mean everyone else does... thats the problem

The_It
July 25th, 2007, 08:41
They will never allow true homebrew. The most powerful features are also the most dangerous. They would never give the general public such power for free when they can exploit it for profit. Then again, they wouldn't have real homebrew because too many people would ruin their PSPs.

oh, and people would just use it to pirate games and hack stuff.

Chameleon
July 25th, 2007, 08:44
homebrew doesnt ruin systems, downgraders do.

Buddy4point0
July 25th, 2007, 08:56
if sony allows homebrew it will be the best decision theve ever made. EVER. i will run offical firmware if they do.

Zin0099
July 25th, 2007, 09:59
if sony allows homebrew it will be the best decision theve ever made. EVER. i will run offical firmware if they do.

yeah me too and i'm on official firmware cause of Crisis Core ffVII coming soon plus sony might be making this decision cause they put a iso loader in the firmware:thumbup:

JPJunkie
July 25th, 2007, 10:04
Sony ALLOWING Homebrew!

Never heard that one before:rofl:

Zin0099
July 25th, 2007, 10:06
Sony ALLOWING Homebrew!

Never heard that one before:rofl:

yeah though they pretty much banned it with fw updates

Zin0099
July 25th, 2007, 10:07
also the thought of not bricking your psp and using homebrew cool!!!!!

b8a
July 25th, 2007, 11:41
I agree.

There's some neat, incredibly usefull stuff that you can do with full, kernel mode access, but at the end of the day, the PSP's a gaming machine, so the programs that you really want to build for it and use on it don't need full, unfettered device access. Officially sponsered user mode homebrew from Sony could be huge. I could easily convince people to buy PSPs by telling them that they could download and play game(s) that I created from scratch for it. Right now that's too hard because homebrew is just too complicated for most people to give a flying f' about.

JPJunkie:
So, I take it you're too young to remember NetYarouze? Sony was the first major modern console developer to not only encourage, but sponsor homebrew.

animekid4
July 25th, 2007, 12:06
homebrew doesnt ruin systems, downgraders do.

Technically...... viruses, update errors, and BIOS corruptions are also causes.

yoshinatsu
July 25th, 2007, 12:58
Heh. I'm not getting excited. Sony has said that before.
They've said that 3.00 would have limited homebrew support. Though I don't see it:rolleyes:
Really now, the don't earn by disabling unsigned code. They LOSE instead. It's time they understand that user-created content in general IS the future.

Kloe
July 25th, 2007, 14:01
the only reason I use my psp is for homebrew. I rarely play an actual UMD game on it.

Art
July 25th, 2007, 14:03
Allowing homebrew need not mean flash access.
The official SDK doesn't even allow that.

It'll never happen anyway.

JPJunkie
July 25th, 2007, 14:12
JPJunkie:
So, I take it you're too young to remember NetYarouze? Sony was the first major modern console developer to not only encourage, but sponsor homebrew.

Wow I never new that!

blaz3d
July 25th, 2007, 14:54
opening up user mode homebrew would probably make me use an official firmware. its about time sony started respecting the scene and if they do, in time the scene will give back far more.

lets just wait and see. . .

peace

DarthPaul
July 25th, 2007, 15:04
i didnt get it. lol

i think im jsut stupid

Me neither. That means we're both stupid..:confused:

F9zDark
August 1st, 2007, 04:11
Sony has dropped hints of Homebrew on the PSP for quite some time. A while back, when Sony gave TerraSoft the task of creating a homebrew development environment for the PS3 they said that PSP homebrew could be on the way.

Sony simply needs to find a way to lock down ISOs from being played with their method. Locking down access to flash is a good way to keep out malicious users. However ISOs will be harder to lock down, unless the system they derive doesn't allow for the loading of ISOs to begin with.