PDA

View Full Version : The Spectacular Initial D Arcade Game

JKKDARK
July 31st, 2007, 04:26
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/wowzers/the-spectacular-initial-d-arcade-game-283665.php)

http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/07/initialdcar.jpg

Big-in-Japan anime/manga Initial D gets another arcade game. With real cars! Earlier this month, the new Initial D game set up shop at the SEGA Joypolis in Odaiba. Instead of a standard cabinet, the game features the bodies of actual cars: Subaru Impreza WRX, Toyota GT-APEX and Mazada RX-7 (minus their engines). A ninety-inch monitor is set up in front of the car. For ¥600 (US $5), players can battle it out in one of three in-game courses. Rad, street driving the actual Initial D cars. Shit hot stuff like this lets me forgive SEGA for, I dunno, the last seven years.

kcajblue
July 31st, 2007, 05:58
i know its a little much but i think thats pretty cool.
youd look like a complete idiot driving in that thing but at least you had fun.

Axelius
July 31st, 2007, 08:15
Yeah, you look like an idiot, but I wonder if it's realistic (clutch and all this stuff)

Okay, I got my driving license four months ago, so I could just use my Dad's car to get a realistic feeling, but I'd really like to step on the gas (even though I live in Germany, and have even broken the 200kph barrier on the Autobahn, but it's just not the same...)

JPJunkie
July 31st, 2007, 11:15
Looks fun

But I bet it isnt as good as it looks

robmotty
July 31st, 2007, 11:23
This is nothing new as Namco did this 14 years ago with Ridge Racer (リッジレーサー). Back then they hooked up roadster cars (mx-5's) and you could drive around whats better about this is the fact they are hooking more machines up. However the price is getting steeper. Was only £2gbp ($4usd, ¥485) a go back then.

In fact just did a quick seach on Wiki which confirms all this looking at the wiki site I cant beleive how lucky I was as a kid to live in one of only 9 plces that had the full scale set up. I hope this Inital D comes to a few more places this time around.

cal360
July 31st, 2007, 11:32
:eek: That's an arcade machine?

Adrenalin
July 31st, 2007, 15:47
haha, pretty interesting idea.

Baboon
August 1st, 2007, 13:03
This is nothing new as Namco did this 14 years ago with Ridge Racer (リッジレーサー). Back then they hooked up roadster cars (mx-5's) and you could drive around whats better about this is the fact they are hooking more machines up. However the price is getting steeper. Was only £2gbp ($4usd, ¥485) a go back then.

In fact just did a quick seach on Wiki which confirms all this looking at the wiki site I cant beleive how lucky I was as a kid to live in one of only 9 plces that had the full scale set up. I hope this Inital D comes to a few more places this time around.

Yep I too remember playing ridge racer in a real car in some arcade by the seaside many moons ago. :thumbup: