PDA

View Full Version : Modo - ultra simple mod player (& Updated)

wraggster
July 31st, 2007, 11:59
Nice new Mod Player from WBB:

http://www.illogical.de/psp/pics/modo_screenshot2.png

Heres the release details:

Hello

I've created a small mod player.

Modo - ultra simple mod player
========================= =====
powered by libmikmod

Plays 669, IT, MED, MOD, MTM, S3M, STM and XM module format.

The player has two modes:

1. Browsing folders
-------------------

Select a folder and the player loops through all modules found in the selected
directory. You can not select individual files here, only directories are shown.

Keymapping in this mode:

D-Pad left - Navigate through directories
D-Pad right - Navigate through directories
Cross - Navigate through directories
Square - Play all modules in marked directory
Circle - Play all modules in current directory
Triangle - Exit player

If you press Square or Circle and nothing happens, then the player could not find
any modules in the choosen directory. Otherwise the player starts playback.

2. Playback
-----------

Before the player loads the file, it shows for about two second the mod title,
press now L or R to switch to next mod file. This way you can browse faster.
If you do nothing, the player starts loading & playing.

Keymapping in this mode:

L - Load and play previous module in directory
R - Load and play next module in directory
D-Pad left - Seek backward
D-Pad right - Seek forward
Cross - Cycle through instruments / samples and comment section
Up / Down - Scroll messages
Triangle - Add five minutes to sleep timer
Circle - Abort sleep timer
Square - Switch through speed / power saving
Start - Abort playback and go back to directory browser
Select - Abort playback and go back to directory browser

If a mod file supports instruments / samples / comment section and the author put
messages in more than one section, then you can press the cross button to cycle
through. In the right bottom corner you can see what section is currently displayed:
- "INS" - Instruments
- "SMPL" - Samples
- "CMT" - Comment

INS, SMPL, CMT are only displayed if you can use the cross button. If none is displayed
you already view the only available section.

The player shows little arrows in the right bottom corner if there are more messages
in a section than the PSP can display. Use the up / down button to scroll in that
case.

If the sleep timer reaches zero, the PSP will go in suspend mode.

The player knows three speed settings (power saving):

1 - Normal (CPU ~ 166 MHz), everything is rendered
This should be enough reserve for even the biggest module files out there.

2 - Reduced (CPU ~ 80 MHz), songname and position is rendered
This should be enough for almost every module file, but there are a
files which will not play to well.

3 - Extreme (CPU ~ 25 MHz), nothing rendered on screen
Still enough for most module files, but it is not for sure that the module
play well. You have to test.
My PSP played for 8h nonstop in this mode (Screen off, 50% speaker volume),
battery was full when started, after 8h it was a 56%.

Known limits:
* You can not select / play indiviual files directly. You have to go through all
files in the directory during playback.
* If you have a mod file which does not play well in 166Mhz mode, please contact me.

Enjoy some great mod files!

[[Update - 29 July]]

I have updated the player, the following has changed:
* Directory browser improved. Shows how many modules are in a directory and the button description is much better.
* If a mod author put messages in instruments / samples / comment section you can cycle through via cross button.
* You can now scroll these messages if they don't fit on the PSP display, use up and down button.
* Before the module starts playing there is short delay now, so you can cycle to previous / next song without actually loading the current module. Use L and R button here. This allows faster file browsing.
* One mod file is included (jingle bells) to get you started.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments
via wbb (http://forums.qj.net/showpost.php?p=1695263&postcount=1)

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 12:05
Nice, time to break out the Amiga MOD files, ;)

Buddy4point0
July 31st, 2007, 12:12
not bad, only defult lua music files are playalbe. i wanna see someone get some midis running

Robert de Clair
July 31st, 2007, 15:33
Awesome

Light MP3 player, Light MOD player... simply longlife for PSP battery.

i think there should be light SID, MID, KAR player too :) and everything compiled to one homebrew aplication.... but it's only a wish.

240-185
July 31st, 2007, 17:19
Here I come, I did some tests and here are the results ^^

Glitchy songs with this player:

http://gilou82.free.fr/Musique/Cobra.xm <- A volume command is not executed correctly so there's an instrument which remains. Listening with this player is quite painful.

http://gilou82.free.fr/Musique/ft.it <- As there are 64 tracks who must be played together, this music makes the PSP crawling. 166Mhz aren't enough here...

Great surprises:

http://gilou82.free.fr/Musique/Soviet%20Hymn.it <- At this moment, this player is the ONLY one who plays this russian hymn correctly. In fact, this is the only player who can execute correctly the "Break pattern" command for .XM *OR* .IT files :]

http://gilou82.free.fr/Musique/LastWeirdness.xm <- Arpeggios at the end of the song don't sound weird :D

However, why making a fadeout at the last pattern? Some songs have been composed with a loop...

But this module player can replace MilkyPlayer, and definitely crushes the Mikmod Player.

alienator
August 1st, 2007, 14:10
Nice, but no MilkyPlayer

Robert de Clair
August 1st, 2007, 19:27
imo milkyplayer have too strange keysettings, i need just player, and MODO it's just a player.

only SID is missing for me, and with light mp3 player this is best homebrew for music :)

thanks for this HB :) it's great

Hungry Horace
August 1st, 2007, 22:23
SID and AY3 are both still missing for me... but they are not mods as such, being as they are based on the sound chips of the C64 and ZX Spectrum, so cant really be expected to be supported for some time.

however, this is the -only- player on the PSP which supports MEDs, which i write all my amiga tunes in... and so i shall be enjoying trying this out! (with milkyplayer i didnt beother because of no med, or ay3 - the main ones i wanted!)

Hungry Horace
August 1st, 2007, 23:16
there are some fairly sizable bugs in the MED playback...

i think tempo changes (cmds F and er.. 9? on octamed) and definatley sample-offset trigers (cmd 19) definately arent working right, as the time-strected William Shatner sample in one of my songs is all wrong and causes havoc!

also, when the MED format is used, the sample trigger frequencies should still be restricted to only 3 octaves, with triggers for higher-octaves only playing back at the top of the 3.

this bug causes some MEDs to play back with samples pitched too high (beyond what the original hardware would have done)

only MMD2 (later MED) "mix mode" modules support a larger octave range.... although even MMD2 can be used without mix-mode, and still impose the 3 octave limit.

hope this info is of use ;) the player is good mostly, and nice and light.

a few cosmetic additions might be nice, but perfect the playback routines alone and you have got a really useful proggie here. thanks for the work. (assuming the author bothers to check these pages of course!)

wbb
August 2nd, 2007, 22:32
Hello, I am the author of the mod player. The player uses libmikmod as playback routines. Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the problems:

"fly.it" >> I added a 222Mhz mode with sample rendering and a 166Mhz mode without sample rendering, In both mode the file plays well.

"cobra.xml" >> I have modified libmikmod so that the song plays right (hope it breaks no other mods...).

Regarding MED playback, can you send me ([email protected]) your MED files and I look into it, but I have a feeling that is not that easy as it was with cobra.xm.

wbb
August 12th, 2007, 11:51
I have updated the player, the new version and changelog can be found at:

http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-release-modo-ultra-simple-mod-player-115671.html

Cobra.xm and ft.it (go to 222Mhz or 166Mhz B mode for this one) should be played okay in this version. MED support improved (thx to horace).