PDA

View Full Version : REminiscence PSP v0.1.9

Sektor
July 31st, 2007, 15:41
REminiscence is a re-implementation of the engine used in the game "Flashback: The Quest for Identity" made by Delphine Software and released in 1992. REminiscence was created by Gregory Montoir. This update to the PSP version was created by Sektor (gtamp.com/PSP) (http://gtamp.com/PSP).

added support for SegaCD speech files (voice.vce)
added level/language selector (copied from rlyeh's GP2X version with some minor changes)
select now toggles fast mode and mirror mode
added key recording/playback, immunity, power/credit cheat and other debug options to the in game menu
choice of full screen or small screen at startup

edit: Don't use the POWER & CREDIT cheat. It will make level 2 freeze when you receive a mission.
Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

This version is old and requires a PSP with 1.5 firmware. For a version that works on 3.x custom firmware go to gtamp.com/PSP) (http://gtamp.com/PSP).

O-bake
July 31st, 2007, 15:52
Very nice, thank you.

I love to play these old classics on my PSP. =)

Sektor
July 31st, 2007, 16:10
To run REminiscence, you'll need a copy of the data files from the DOS version of Flashback. For music, you need the Amiga mod files and for speech, you need the SegaCD voice.vce.

flashback_data_files.7z (http://gtamp.com/dl/file.php?id=33) 9MB (compressed with 7-Zip, includes DOS data files, Amiga music and SegaCD speech). Extract to REminiscence\data folder.

Credits:
--------
Original 0.1.6 PSP port by lantus (http://www.lantus-x.com/PSP/) - site is down
Additional work by Marcus R. Brown
Merging into REminiscence 0.1.8 by Crust/Amnesty (http://michalskorupka.blogspot.com)
Merging into REminiscence 0.1.9 by Sektor (http://gtamp.com/PSP)
GP2X level/language selection code by rlyeh (http://www.retrodev.info)
Minor improvements to level/language selection code by Sektor
REminiscence is the work of Gregory Montoir (http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence)
---------
To install:

1.0 users:
Copy EBOOT.PBP to ms0:/PSP/GAME/REminiscence/

1.5 users:
Copy the REminiscence and REminiscence% directories to ms0:/PSP/GAME/

3.40 OE and most other custom firmware users:
Copy the REminiscence and REminiscence% directories to ms0:/PSP/GAME150/

Everyone:
Copy the Flashback data files to ms0:/PSP/GAME/REminiscence/data/
Create an empty directory called ms0:/PSP/GAME/REminiscence/save/

Controls:

D-Pad - Move left, right, up, or down
Cross - Enter (Use object)
Circle - Backspace (Inventory / exit from a cinematic scene)
Triangle - Space (Take out / put back gun)
Square - Shift (Operate / run / take)
Start - Esc (Game options)
L1 - Save
R1 - Load
Select - Toggle fast mode and mirror mode
Long jump - Hold Square + left/right and then push up
High jump - Hold Square + left/right, release left/right when before edge (he only jumps if ledge is within reach, required on 2nd level)

Known issues:

Italian text order is wrong (waiting for Cyx to extract the string order from the Italian fb.exe)
You can't load a level 2 save from level 1. You have to choose level 2 in the level select screen and then load your save.
Sometimes enabling immunity will make Conrad invisibile. Just turn it back on to see Conrad.
Immunity only stops bullets/robots from knocking you down (traps and falling will still kill you). It only takes effect after first hit.

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 16:58
I cant get speech to work, i have taken the rs.voc and put it in the data folder, have also tried renaming it to voice.vce and it still wont work.

Anyone else having this problem?

Also, 1 thing that is missing is, the movement isnt mapped to the analogue stick. I hate using the D-PAD, as mine wont go diaganals, :(.

EDIT:- ment to add, awesome update. This game is great, and the way it uses the Amiga tracks, is great.

Sektor
July 31st, 2007, 17:00
It has to be named voice.vce. How are you testing it? The guy who wants a transporter speaks and there's speech when you try to use the cartridge to enable the bridge. I got voice.vce directly from the SegaCD ISO.

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 17:05
It has to be named voice.vce. How are you testing it? The guy who wants a transporter speaks and there's speech when you try to use the cartridge to enable the bridge. I did get my voice.vce directly from the SegaCD ISO though. I haven't actually downloaded the GP2X version.

Ah, i see, never played the CD version. So there isnt speech on ever cutscene?

Also, do you know why the music mod's cut out on the ingame sequences?

Sektor
July 31st, 2007, 17:12
I don't think any cutscene has speech, just in game when someone talks to you or Conrad talks. The music plays during the whole cutscenes for me, there isn't normally music during the game (sometimes in action parts). I've tested the PC REminiscence and it seems to be the same. It does sound like the music ends abruptly but it's always at the end of a scene in my tests.

Mr.Denny
July 31st, 2007, 17:15
I keep getting an error that says "unable to find date files, check that all required files are present!"

:(

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 17:16
I don't think any cutscene has speech, just in game when someone talks to you or Conrad talks. The music played during the whole cutscene for me, there isn't normally music during the game (sometimes in action parts). I've tested the PC version and it seems to be the same.

Sorry, my fault didnt explain to well. k, ill play abit, as you clarified the speech.

But on all ingame sequences, the Amiga mods play, but they never repeat, its like the mod player is missing the mod repeat command. This problem was in the older REminiscence PSP. Maybe its because its using a mod player to play the mods? as you said it is a PC DOS game.

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 17:18
I keep getting an error that says "unable to find date files, check that all required files are present!"

:(

Check the read me, you need the DOS version data folder, which he has given all urls for said files.

Sektor
July 31st, 2007, 17:21
Are they supposed to repeat? They don't on the PC version but I haven't tried the Amiga version for a long time.

"unable to find data files, check that all required files are present!" means you don't have the data files in your REminiscence\data folder.

Sorry, the GP2X version has the data files in some compressed format, so you can't just copy them to the PSP version. Check first page for data files.

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 17:29
Are they supposed to repeat? They don't on the PC version but I haven't tried the Amiga version for a long time.

"unable to find data files, check that all required files are present!" means you don't have the data files in your REminiscence\data folder.

edit: Oops, the GP2X version has the data files compressed. I probably should checked it first

I'm uploading the data files. I'll post a link when it's done. They are still copyright but the game is no longer for sale.

I wouldnt post the data files, could land you in trouble, I set it up just by reading your readme, thats more than enough.

Sektor
July 31st, 2007, 17:35
If the game is ever released on a modern system, I will remove them. Unfortunately Delphine Software went bankrupt long ago and no one seems interested in officially releasing the game on a modern system.

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 17:38
If the game is ever released on a modern system, I will remove them. Unfortunately Delphine Software went bankrupt long ago and no one seems interested in officially releasing the game.

Fair enough, ;). Also just been looking, maybe a problem with;

_patternLoopPos;
_patternLoopCount;

Could be wrong, cause im still new to C.

EDIT:- maybe its this, as im guessing this would tell it not to repeat,

_patternLoopCount = -1;

EDIT2:- Its deffo not repeating any mod, like the original does. The title music stops too, it should repeat until you start game, same with cut scenes, they should repeat until cut scene is finished. As I said though, this happened in older release.

Sektor
July 31st, 2007, 17:54
I could easily make them repeat, I just didn't know they were supposed to and they usually last the right amount of time anyway.

Also, one thing that is missing, the movement isn't mapped to the analogue stick. I hate using the D-PAD, as mine wont go diagonals :(

I'll work on adding analog but the default analog controls don't work well and the game even used keyboard on Amiga, so it's made for digital controls.

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 17:59
I could easily make them repeat, I just didn't know they were supposed to and they usually last the right amount of time anyway.

I'll work on adding analog but the default analog controls don't work well and the game even used keyboard on Amiga, so it's made for digital controls.

Must just be me, the music cuts out, 10 secs into cut scene. I think they were ment to repeat as you could leave it as you read, then pressed fire when ready to continue.

Aye, i understand, we have Analogue mappings in PSPUAE and its a sod when playing Test Drive 2, keeps over steering, lol.

Sektor
July 31st, 2007, 18:06
On my PSP, the music plays during the entire intro cutscene. What memory card are you using? Perhaps it can't keep up or something. I guess it should really loop the title/menu screen mod but most other mods are suppose to go the length of the cutscene. During test, I get so sick of the sounds, I'm happy when they stop or I turn off sound completely.

FOL
July 31st, 2007, 18:23
On my PSP, the music plays during the entire intro cutscene. What memory card are you using? Perhaps it can't keep up or something. I guess it should really loop the title screen mod but most other mods are suppose to go the length of the cutscene. During test, I get so sick of the sounds, I'm happy when they stop or I turn off sound completely.

Sorry, had a complete blond moment and forgot about the intro cutscene, that will never be right, as the PC version has 2 extra scenes. Thats not supposed to repeat but all other cutscenes are. By title music, i ment menu music.

Its no biggy, :)

My MS is a genuine Sandisk 4GB. So thats not a problem at all.

Yodajr
August 1st, 2007, 10:54
Hi Sektor, first thank you for this, I love it :)

But even if I choose French in the language selector, the texts in game or in the cutscenes are in english... I did something wrong ?

And it is possible to add a "wide" mode zoom ? (~410x272) like snes9xTYL, its less deformed that the full screen mode ;)

Again, thank you :thumbup:

FOL
August 1st, 2007, 18:16

But even if I choose French in the language selector, the texts in game or in the cutscenes are in english... I did something wrong ?

And it is possible to add a "wide" mode zoom ? (~410x272) like snes9xTYL, its less deformed that the full screen mode ;)

Wide? It is in wide, if you press X at screen size prompt. If you mean a none stretched wide, then no it cant be done, as the original dos game was ment for 4:3.

hatman101
August 2nd, 2007, 01:13
This was a great fing game! thanks for this!

Sektor
August 2nd, 2007, 13:56

If you choose French, the menus are in French (apart from the debug options), the text when you speak to someone is in French but the item/object names are in English. The cutscenes were supposed to be in French but it seems there's a bug. I will fix it in the next version.

A slightly larger 4:3 resolution with correct aspect ratio would be nice but it's difficult to do.

Codaz
August 2nd, 2007, 21:31
Could you add screen size switcher ingame ?

I don't like the trigger buttons functions. I accidentally pressed left and then died. I was warped a LONG way back. I hated that.

But it works VERY good at 3.10OE-A !

Yodajr
August 2nd, 2007, 21:56
(edit: I installed them but they aren't being used, I'll have to fix it).
I had them, because I use data files from my original game in french ;)

in my opinion it doesn't look too bad stretched
Yes, but it will be better :p (ok ok, I'll stop bothering you :D )

@FOL :
I didn't know the real name, I put in "" ;)
I used the name I saw in various emulators, for example in snes emu :

4:3 fit :
http://hothmoon.free.fr/fbfit.png

wide :
http://hothmoon.free.fr/fbwide.png

full screen :
http://hothmoon.free.fr/fbfull.png

quozzerx
August 3rd, 2007, 03:34
I don't know if it's just me and my psp but when I am in New Washington and I goto the work computer I can view the mission I get and then it just freezes. The music still plays but I can't exit the cut scene.
I downloaded all the data files and installed it right.
Anyone else have this problem?

Firmware 3.52 M33-2

FOL
August 3rd, 2007, 12:07
I don't know if it's just me and my psp but when I am in New Washington and I goto the work computer I can view the mission I get and then it just freezes. The music still plays but I can't exit the cut scene.
I downloaded all the data files and installed it right.
Anyone else have this problem?

Firmware 3.52 M33-2

This happened to me on last but 1 level, cutscene started then I could exit it. :(

FOL
August 3rd, 2007, 12:09
I had them, because I use data files from my original game in french ;)

Yes, but it will be better :p (ok ok, I'll stop bothering you :D )

@FOL :
I didn't know the real name, I put in "" ;)
I used the name I saw in various emulators, for example in snes emu :

To be honest, I rather it stretched, nothing wrong with it. Full screen is fine in my opinion.

Sektor
August 3rd, 2007, 12:52
Could you add screen size switcher ingame ?

I don't like the trigger buttons functions. I accidentally pressed left and then died. I was warped a LONG way back. I hated that.

But it works VERY good at 3.10OE-A !

I tried to use the ingame scaling functions but I couldn't get them working without crashing, so I just put the screen size selector at the start.

I thought some people would have problems with the shoulder button functions, I only left them that way since all previous versions for PSP had the same controls. It is useful to be able to save/load quickly sometimes but it would be annoying to push accidentally, so I will make it optional. You can push start and then use left and right to change the save slot, so you don't accidentally save over a certain game slot.

The credits cheat will cause the 2nd level (2nd Job agency mission cutscene) to crash. You don't need to push square on that computer terminal and view the whole mission, you can just insert your work permit and do the mission without knowing what it is (obviously not a good solution, just a work around). I tried making the cheat give 1500 credits instead of 32K and it stopped the crash. It's really a useless cheat since most of the time, you have to do all the story events anyway to continue the game and they give you all the money you need.

The immunity cheat should be ok (apart from making you go invisible sometimes) but the power & credit cheat could have some strange effects, some items will only work with a certain amount of power but the cheat gives all items a power of 32K (I added an exception for the cartridge on first level since it only works with power of 50) but I didn't check all items on each level. On level 2, Ian says a trip to Earth would cost 50K and well that really is impossible to get even with cheats since the max credits possible is 32K. Of course you have to win a ticket to Earth and not buy one.

Yodajr
August 3rd, 2007, 17:58
To be honest, I rather it stretched, nothing wrong with it. Full screen is fine in my opinion.

Fine, I didn't ask to remove full screen ;)

Mr.Denny
August 3rd, 2007, 22:39
Wow

Fantastic work!

Brings back memories :)

sukhi-2006
November 12th, 2007, 16:36
The psp screen is horrible the games looks really blurrish it's not good as the ds lite screen flashback looks better on nintendo console it's bright and crystal clear.

FOL
November 23rd, 2007, 16:41
The psp screen is horrible the games looks really blurrish it's not good as the ds lite screen flashback looks better on nintendo console it's bright and crystal clear.

Hmmm, please explain how you came to this conclusion, as your completely wrong. You cant compare something ported from a 10 year old computer WHICH has to be stretched to fill the screen. DS and PSP have different size screens for starters. Plus your changing the subject of the post, if you rather play the DS version, go ahead.

Raziel-chan
November 23rd, 2007, 20:16

The only thing that is better about the DS screen is the refresh rate, but even that's only on a part of the units. I've seen DS screens with worse refresh rate, but there weren't many of them.

In everything else PSP's screen kicks DS one's @ss without breaking the sweet. It even has a higher resolution that BOTH DS screens summed up.

cya
Raziel-chan

RlndPerry
March 19th, 2008, 20:05
Sorry how do I load this on my PSP?

Sektor
March 20th, 2008, 01:34
This version is old and won't work on a slim PSP. There is a newer version here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86072

It won't work on official PSP firmware. It requires a custom firmware like 3.80 M33 or newer.