PDA

View Full Version : World's Most Pimpt PSP!

Art
July 31st, 2007, 16:49
Hi Guys,
I claim to have the world's most Pimpt out PSP unit! :D
The reason for this thread? To see if anyone in the world
has done better with real world hardware mods (excluding non functional LED lighting mods, etc).

The world's most Pimpt PSP Challenge! Art 2007.

Ok folks, here it is! This equipment purpose is to be mounted in an aluminium frame one day
to form a docking station to turn the PSP into a better equipped computer for my purposes
while it is docked in the frame, while still being an ordinary PSP when removed from it,
and therefore able to be replaced if it fails.

From there, simply swapping a single XLR connector allows the use of different serialy connected
devices from GPS units to barcode scanners, PC terminal clients, etc.

The photo above shows two entirely different operational scenarios, the only difference being
the connection of one different connected device, and the running of a different PSP application
that makes use of the connected device.

Common Hardware To Both Operational Scenarios:

Custom Multi I/O harness (sockets for audio out, microphone in, serial transmit and recieve),
Custom 0.5 Watt RMS x 2 Channel class D stereo amplifier wired to seperate Communications speakers.
Tie clasp microphone clamped to mini tripod.
Custom Pseudo RS232 interface biult into female XLR connector.
2x 4x AA battery packs for amplifier and serialy connected device (can both run on single 4xAA pack).

Operational Scenario A Hardware/Software:
Garmin GPS18PC serial GPS mouse.
MapThis 0499 beta (Deniska) running under iR Shell 3.6 (Ahman) so the PSP multitasks the MP3 playlist
and GPS navigation.

Operational Scenario B Hardware/Software:

Symbol LS3408ER Rugged Long Range Handheld Barcode scanner for data capture in harsh environments.
Reads barcodes from as far away as 45 feet, and as close as 4 inches giving it the longest range
out of any rugged handheld barcode scanner to date.

Rapid Data V1.4 (Art) Price checking station simulator feature.

Top that!
Cheers, Art.

Screens Via Comments

HumanIce
July 31st, 2007, 16:55
doesn't look so pimped.. rather just many junk around it.

Art
July 31st, 2007, 16:57
Some of the "Junk" around it is worth much more than the PSP itself!
As I said, it's all to be built into an aluminium frame when I'm sure it's complete.
Art.

HumanIce
July 31st, 2007, 17:03
Some of the "Junk" around it is worth much more than the PSP itself!
I'm sorry..
but who actually needs this all? I would rather use all that money on Wii or new hard drive for my PC or something..

Art
July 31st, 2007, 17:08
We're not all 15.
I'd rather continue making enough money out of this to buy many wii (or whatevers) :D
I'm not suggesting everyone else do it.,
Just showing what would be rarely ever seen for interest sake.

EDIT,,, what if you could make a $6000 mobile retail device for much cheaper?
There's a few wii units worth of saving right there.

mike_jmg
July 31st, 2007, 17:15

LOL :rofl:

This is mostly full of accesories wich are quite impressive, but pimped should be like the ones F00 f00 makes at acidmods

Or a faceplate modified by you like GOW theme psp, with the second analog stick, the umd door jewel, custom theme, etc.

Art
July 31st, 2007, 17:24
second analog stick, the umd door jewel, custom theme, etc.
I would argue that is all junk :D

(admittedly, I wrote an app that themes PSPs...)

ian h
July 31st, 2007, 17:40
i agree with mike jmg. think of a pimped car, it wouldnt have foot pumps hanging off every tyre or something its about design.

in other words pimped is suposed to look cool, this does not, sorry dude.

Art
July 31st, 2007, 17:43
So when it's all neatly biult in an aluminuim frame it'll be different?
It's pretty much the same electronics right now.

Tetris999
July 31st, 2007, 17:51
this is tooooo crazy art, i think you would use one thing at a time correct?

like the psp is compatible with all the hardware there

crazy, your psp is such a multi tasking device

might i suggest a pocket pc? ;)

anyway pretty crazy but its kind of whacked out to see a psp able to do all those things XD

but dont you think some things are down right useless? like the store scanner? :p

and it will be AMAZING if you get all that stuff cramped into an aluminum case and still be able to carry it around

wraggster
July 31st, 2007, 18:07
a PSP witha 5 inch screen attachement would be one awesome mod

Art
July 31st, 2007, 18:09
Not quite useless when it makes you money.

Most of the point is that a lot of this is in use at one time with the right program, or combination of them.

In scenario B, all hardware is in use at once.
Even the mic is used to take short memos within the
stocktaking application.

Tetris999
July 31st, 2007, 18:11
Not quite useless when it makes you money.

Most of the point is that a lot of this is in use at one time with the right program, or combination of them.

In scenario B, all hardware is in use at once.
Even the mic is used to take short memos within the
stocktaking application.

soooooo what do you use the barcode scanner for?

VampDude
July 31st, 2007, 18:21
lol, you turned your PSP into a oversized Barcode Battler

http://img.gkblogger.com/blog/imgdb/000/000/027/753_1.jpg

Art
July 31st, 2007, 18:37
soooooo what do you use the barcode scanner for?

It's for a retail stocktaking application used to maintain
inventory levels in a company back office system.

It's never for public release, but I did YouTube a proof
of the scanner operation in a price checking kiosk simulator
for the PSP some time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7HENwIvPs

Art.

CaptainMorgan4
July 31st, 2007, 18:42
Yeah I'm pretty sure my PSP is alot better than yours, one of the top features is that it can fit in my pocket (specs of PSP in sig.).

Tetris999
July 31st, 2007, 19:05
anyway very cool art, this would come in handy one day lol

your psp isnt just for entertainment but for work too!

XD

JPJunkie
July 31st, 2007, 19:10
Your psp isnt pimpt its Punk'd

DarthPaul
July 31st, 2007, 19:40
a PSP witha 5 inch screen attachement would be one awesome mod

Use RemoteJoy!! :thumbup: Haha,that will be a 17" screen for me.

Hahahaha:rofl: :rofl: that was my first impression!

It's not useless,it's damn cool,but it looks ugly,that's all. Let's give him time and let's see if he takes all in the aluminium case.

Raekwik11
July 31st, 2007, 19:55
What do you need a barcode scanner for? its not like your working on inventory. I guess if someone made a port of that little handheldgame skannerz.

burrito
July 31st, 2007, 21:06
lol it looks like junk

Gizmo356
July 31st, 2007, 23:12
Why so many negative comments its actually pretty impressive and has a-lot more functionality than a stock psp, regardless of the bulk.

carlitx
July 31st, 2007, 23:15
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow thats all i have to say

Buddy4point0
July 31st, 2007, 23:32
i thinnk its kinda cool, a barcode scanner. nice. all i got is some acidmods stuff. press lit led buttons and a second analog stick

sonofsamus
July 31st, 2007, 23:33
What do you need a barcode scanner for? its not like your working on inventory.
Please read the following:

It's for a retail stocktaking application used to maintain
inventory levels in a company back office system.
Thank you.

-Xandu-
July 31st, 2007, 23:49
No offense but, you just made a "portable" Playstation unportable...

You can barcode scan using a camera phone btw, I have that on my N3250.

NoQuarter
July 31st, 2007, 23:52
Art, I really love your work!!
My psp has a wifi mod on it already,but I'm gonna make it removable.When it's all done it's gonna have a black cantenna(I already have), a slot to replace wifi cards :P ,targus keyboard and an awesome memory mod!!.
Art I actually thought about you today when I was walking down at the river doing sil nim tao and playing didjeridu,the reason being that the sound of water reminded me of your audio mechanica,lol.I too am a multiple psp and device toting man.I usually have three in my backpack of my own and assorted other psp's to hack for friends.

What is the XLR cable for,only reason I'm even familiar with this type of cable is from work?
We see alot of XLR doing stagehand work.

You guy's should not knock any of this!!!!!!!!!!
HE DID IT HIMSELF!!!!
CAN ANY ONE OF YOU CLAIM ANYTHING OF A SIMILAR CALIBER?!?!?

the_eternal_dark
August 1st, 2007, 01:05
Damn Art! That's a crazy amount of stuff for one psp.

Art
August 1st, 2007, 01:48
What is the XLR cable for,only reason I'm even familiar with this type of cable is from work?
We see alot of XLR doing stagehand work.

XLR connectors are usualy for professional audio,
chosen because I can hide a little interface circuit
in there,
and due to the cable thickness of some devices that
may be attached.

You can barcode scan using a camera phone btw, I have that on my N3250.
Lol @ that. The app that scans barcodes does nothing else, and you couldn't actually use it
for 8 hours scanning stock in a store without getting fed up and smashing the phone.

Psyberjock
August 1st, 2007, 01:51
What do you need a barcode scanner for? its not like your working on inventory. I guess if someone made a port of that little handheldgame skannerz.

I think the whole point of this post is that YES, HE NEEDS A BARCODE SCANNER because HE WORKS WITH INVENTORY.

He has been quite inventive by taking things that he already has (PSP) and turning it into something he needs for much less than buying the "real deal" (portable scanner).

I applaud you Art. Good job. I do understand where some people were expecting neon lights and spinning rims, since you said pimped PSP. Perhaps a better word would be liberated.

Unfortunately 15 year olds don't see use beyond games and playing. That's just what it is to be a kid. Personally, I've never done anything non-gaming with my PSP either beyond my ring of light. Soon I hope to release a language learning tool, but that's probably as far as Ill go from the gaming center.

Keep going. I hope to see the aluminum case soon. BTW, does your program interface with a PC to cross-check the stored inventory data with the actual inventory data and provide difference reports? Just curious. I used to do inventory reports when I worked at a music store. I had to deal with paper and pen. Would have been nice to just scan every damn CD in the store and be done with it. :p

Art
August 1st, 2007, 02:07
Hi, yes nevermind, criticism has come to be expected
when showing adult applications to forums of school kids that have a PSP only for gaming.

Yes, we call the "difference report" a variance report.
Many retail operations do use mobile computers. Paper based stock control is quite old fashioned now.
The mobile terminal usualy biulds a stock on hand file and transmits that to the back office PC at the end of day,
then it is the back office PC that compares that to expected quantities and produces the variance report.

On a good day the variance report is small ;)

Some modern units operate over wifi, and update the stores PC in real time. I haven't emulated that yet,
but my PSP mobile unit does have features that others don't (speaking for example), or there would be little point
since companies provide their own hardware to do the job.
In my current job, one of those mobile terminals is worth $6000, where as my Symbol scanner was only $750.

NoQuarter
August 1st, 2007, 02:10
lol,hey I'm 30.Admittedly I care more about functionality than flash...

Real psp pimpin' ain't easy!!
woah, are you emulating the the speech with software other than audio playback ?
I do remember you talking about voice recognition software as well...

Art
August 1st, 2007, 03:00
The speech engine is exactly the same as in my Time Baby talking clock program.
The individual digits are recorded samples, but played
in sequence to form larger numbers,
like the bank robots that tell you account details on the phone.

NoQuarter
August 1st, 2007, 03:38
nice,I haven't had chance to check out time baby but I will now.

jamotto
August 1st, 2007, 05:05
Now if only you could get it to read RFID tags, it be in hot demand. It is very nice work though Art.

Art
August 1st, 2007, 05:22
That could probably be done.
Why would it be in hot demand?

I still think it would be deemed useless by school kids who cream their pants over wallpapers :D

NoQuarter
August 1st, 2007, 05:56
Holy smokes, RFID reader would be friggin sweet!
You could like sniff for bugs in your room,lol, just kidding, I think.That would be great for us, the more paranoid of the homosapiens.Then I could figure out where that damn chip they put in me is.

F9zDark
August 1st, 2007, 06:07
Interesting to say the least. I rigged up a GPS device to work on my PSP thanks to the work of Deniska. So I applaud your efforts. If I may make a suggestion for a future Pimpt project, maybe try rigging up a serial keyboard?

Art
August 1st, 2007, 06:24
That's done a while back.
with this Symbol mobile terminal.

I had to write a program for it as well as the PSP,
so that it would serialy send the key presses you make
(and any barcodes you scan too).
Art.

jamotto
August 1st, 2007, 06:32
That could probably be done.
Why would it be in hot demand?

Well I was reaching just a bit but I have done some inventory in a warehouse setting. It seems lately that RFID is the preferred way to go.

Then I could figure out where that damn chip they put in me is. You have already got your chip? I was under the impression that the neck barcode was not going to be phased out out for a good five years.

NoQuarter
August 1st, 2007, 07:52
the chip is the new black..

I just gave that same logitech case to a friend who just got a psp.As far as I understand the pharmaceutical companies are "cough" leading the way in RFID .
I too would love a DIY keyboard that I didn't have to order but I know not the arcane ways of the code.It appears Art has the SIO skeleton key so to speak.Guess I'm stuck trying to make a lua 5 button keyboard.

F9zDark
August 1st, 2007, 08:01
Well PiKey is out there, but it supports only a few models of keyboards perfectly and the latest version doesn't even say what keyboards are supported, so now ordering one isn't easy.

Guess I'll have to find the site, but an IR keyboard has its pros and cons. Having to use a stand to reflect the signal sucks, but I suppose Sony didn't place the IR port where they did to actually use it because hmm, they haven't used it.

Joe88
August 1st, 2007, 08:03
this aint "pimped"
go look the word up before claiming that yours is

it is however the most accessories on a psp ive seen...

NoQuarter
August 1st, 2007, 08:03
Yeah, I'd much rather have something I could plug in either to the serial port or usb.

razorak
August 1st, 2007, 10:48
This is interesting in the sense that it is better able to portray what the psp can actually do with the right soft and hardware though i think that a mod that allows you to use multiple memory sticks would be nice...lol or is there one already and i'm seriously backtracked?

JPJunkie
August 1st, 2007, 10:49
The whole thing is kinda growing on me!

How much time do you spend pimping your psp??

kiore
August 3rd, 2007, 10:48
the accessories look like they are from another time. kind of like putting a vacuum tube valve in a stopwatch

Art
August 3rd, 2007, 16:02
well not really,
The barcode scanner was manufactured Jan 2007 and is tate of the art.
Longest range in the world.
The amp & things I made myself will have that look,
ABS project boxes don't have much personallity unfortunately.

Glynnder
August 3rd, 2007, 16:15
Very nice art, I am liking everything

cal360
August 3rd, 2007, 16:41
I think it's amazing what you've managed to acomplish with that PSP and can be useful and save you or get you a lot of cash :)

Rawrz
August 13th, 2007, 08:12
Superior to that. This will cause many heads to turn.

(Note: This is not my PSP, it is from a member from the llama forum)

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3521/pspfront8psbi0.jpg

And check out the back UMD door.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5537/pspback9rlsk2.jpg