PDA

View Full Version : Sony sued over Cell processor

Shrygue
July 31st, 2007, 19:33
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27180)

Sony Computer Entertainment America is being taken to court by California-based Parallel Processing Corporation over the Cell chip in the PlayStation 3.

The company alleges that Sony products infringe on a patent approved in 1991 for "synchronised parallel processing with shared memory," according to a report on GameSpot.

The complaint states that the infringement is "causing irreparable harm and monetary damage," to the company.

Parallel Processing Corporation is seeking damages and fees, as well as the impounding and destruction of all Sony products infringing on the patent.

ElRazur
July 31st, 2007, 19:39
Is this just another case of someone wanting to make quick money, or just plain rumour? The chip was developed with combination of resources from big companies alongside sony, there is no way they wouldnt know of this if it was there in the first place.

Why do they want to destroy sony's products? Surely it should be a case against all systems using the cell processor?

DimensionT
July 31st, 2007, 20:08
All I can do is laugh... It's not going to happen.

Someone needs to stop companies from doing this (patenting a product with no plans for producing it, then sueing a company that actually does produce it).

zevende
July 31st, 2007, 21:00
What idiots! IBM is the creator and manufacturer of the cell, so why the hell are they suing Sony?!

Cloudhunter
July 31st, 2007, 21:06
Can anyone smell money diggers?

Cloudy

Tree
July 31st, 2007, 22:31
dis is like fkin micheal jackson everyone is tryin 2 sue him 4 him coz der got loads of money nd its easy

ElRazur
July 31st, 2007, 23:01
All I can do is laugh... It's not going to happen.

Someone needs to stop companies from doing this (patenting a product with no plans for producing it, then sueing a company that actually does produce it).

Take a look at their "patents"

http://www.acaciatechnologies.com/pa...lio.htm#comdev

Xiaopang
August 1st, 2007, 00:43
that is exactly why software patents must be stopped...allowing to patent techniques is just plain ignorant...thank god I live in europe...

-Xandu-
August 1st, 2007, 00:52
First the rumble, now this? I can't agree with the processor part though.

F9zDark
August 1st, 2007, 03:49
Wow. I took a look at that company's patents. And that is all I can say. Seems to me like this company is a god-damn think-tank to make patents on shit before their time, just for this purpose.

Check out Laptop Connectivity for example. That same idea is used on almost all laptops that use docking stations... Have I ever heard of this company before? No, so that means the ideas they patent they do not bring to market.

I highly doubt this company has any legitimate patents on any of the shit they say on their site. For christ's sake how can one company that no one has ever heard of before claim to hold a patent on Peer to Peer Communication?

In fact, I know they do not. A quick WHOIS on the site, states the site's meta keywords:

"Patent sale, patent acquisition, buy patent, acquire patent, purchase patent, sell patent"

It seems that they do not develop any of this technology, rather, they probably see whats the most popular technology, seek the original patent holders and purchase the patents from them.

Its all so clear now. A business based completely upon fraud.

ElRazur
August 1st, 2007, 08:40
Like someone said if the court decides to go with this company, they would have to pry my ps3 from my cold bloody hands.