PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus blog update - 1 August 07 - CPU speed of Daedalus

blackrave
August 1st, 2007, 00:31
Via StrmnNrmn's blog. (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/2007/08/333-mhz.html)

A newly posted blog update from StrmnNrmn talks about the CPU speed of Daedalus, which he gets a lot of questions about.

On startup Daedalus increases the default clock frequency of the PSP's cpu from 222MHz to 333MHz for a 'free' 50% speedup. I use 'free' in quotes because this comes at the expense of drawing more power so the battery runs out of charge faster.

I've been asked if I'm going to support 333MHz many times, so I wanted to put this question to rest for once and for all. The answer is yes - I believe this has been the case since R1 :)

-StrmnNrmn

Let's hope people stop nagging him about it, right?

Trekster
August 1st, 2007, 00:42
I agree, leave then man alone and be grateful for his work!

Buddy4point0
August 1st, 2007, 00:52
lol, how do people not know its running at 333. noobs these days.

mike03$$$
August 1st, 2007, 01:04
Stupid noobs if you wanted freakin 333mhz and you have custom firmware set the clock to 333mhz for umd/game

carlitx
August 1st, 2007, 01:05
wow nice job man.

Stupid noobs if you wanted freakin 333mhz and you have custom firmware set the clock to 333mhz for umd/game

and your the rookie lol(sorry but i wanna go by dcemu ranks for once), people dont always want to go at 333MHz for games, including me unless im running ratchet and clank size matters that is, i have found certin games dont work right under the constent clock speed of 333 so dont go calling people names!

ian h
August 1st, 2007, 01:37
wow people are FIK. they think daedalus runs at that speed with default clock speed lol

ICE
August 1st, 2007, 02:23
lol, how do people not know its running at 333. noobs these days.

lol
do your research noobs!

Buddy4point0
August 1st, 2007, 02:33
i saw somehing a while ago (like a year or 2) where domeone managed to overclock there psp to 466. any1 know how stable that was? cause i remember him saying he got to 366 stable, but i never really heard from him after that exept the anouncement that he managed to get 466 and then while playing his psp crashed from heat and will no longer boot. but i would play in a freezer if i could run at 466.

royvedas
August 1st, 2007, 07:01
People who find it funny to bash what they call "Noobs" are in the no life/no job/no pussy-category. These "noobs" are probably living the sweet life - that's why they need you - the no-pussy geeks to do research on how to run emulators - they simply don't have the time themselves because of pussy 'n stuff. So shut the f*** up and respect the "noobs".

CaptainMorgan4
August 1st, 2007, 07:25
Hey 366 sound stable enough to get a nice little speedup, I'm sure it could be a desperation attempt to get speed that could be used later. I'm confident StrmnNrmn over time can get this emulator at full speed and sound for almost every title. These ME changes and the speed work he is going to do for R13 is going to probably bring a revolution to Daedalus PSP, this emulator deserves every bit of hype it gets.

xg917
August 1st, 2007, 07:29
i wouldnt risk forcing psps to clock speed run at a higher than the limit which is 333MHz

CaptainMorgan4
August 1st, 2007, 07:35
I'm just saying if someone were to test this and overtime and get the results and if it didn't hurt the PSP it could be a nice little boost, something that should be looked into I think.

Buddy4point0
August 1st, 2007, 08:08
Hey 366 sound stable enough to get a nice little speedup, I'm sure it could be a desperation attempt to get speed that could be used later. I'm confident StrmnNrmn over time can get this emulator at full speed and sound for almost every title. These ME changes and the speed work he is going to do for R13 is going to probably bring a revolution to Daedalus PSP, this emulator deserves every bit of hype it gets.

yea i would much rather if he got it working perfectly at 333. i know he can. i was just asking because i would do the 466 or 366 for myself. but scince its overclocking it would not be wise to realise a program that uses anything higher than the sony approved stable 333.

blackrave
August 1st, 2007, 08:30
I agree, 366 Mhz is not that much over the official limit, but would still help much. 466 sounds too much, really, unfortunately. But is it theoretically possible to do such a thing? One would need to have a temparature "watch" (I forgot the real word (I blame the fact that I haven't slept all night)) to make sure it didn't overheat, though, and experiment a lot before releasing it.

Mr. Shizzy
August 1st, 2007, 08:45
It always good to hear from strmnnrmn :D

`The0n3
August 1st, 2007, 16:49
366 mhz would be quite a decent speedup but it would be a battery killer.

CaptainMorgan4
August 1st, 2007, 19:13
I wouldn't care I have a great long lasting battery and my backup is the 2200mah STAMINA battery so I'm covered (check sig for battery).

xg917
August 1st, 2007, 20:04
but not all of us have that battery.. i have 2 normal sony ones though :D

maxi_jac
August 1st, 2007, 22:36
Mathieulh or DAX ( someone of this kind ^^ ) said it was impossible to overclock more than 333 mhz.
lol @ 466 mhz

++ B.

xg917
August 1st, 2007, 23:17
yea i would love to fry my psp!

Emeriastone
August 2nd, 2007, 03:32
Considering that he has held off clocking up the CPU since the beginning, this means that certainly better things will come of it

xg917
August 2nd, 2007, 03:43
what do you mean? he has made daedalus run at 333 since R1, thats what he is trying to say in his blog.

CaptainMorgan4
August 2nd, 2007, 03:58
Yeah you got that in reverse ther Stone, Xg what's good man holla.

xg917
August 2nd, 2007, 04:07
it seems like strmnnrmn is spending more of his time updating his blog than working on daedalus :p i know thats now how it is though.

@CaptainMorgan4: nun yo. just trying to install psptoolchain so that i can look into coding daedalus... no i dont know how to code, lol but im just going to fool around with the source and see if i can fix anything ..somehow.. :P

CaptainMorgan4
August 2nd, 2007, 04:15
Yeah good shit man, try to get that DKR fixed lol, na but yeah I'm about to spark a blunt so yeah.

edit: Question does anybody use the software manuals for the PSX games for custom Walkthroughs for each game, I mean I don't think I'm the only one but if anyone needs walkthroughs (software manuals) for the PSX games I have just ask (check PSX games in sig).

Gold Line
August 2nd, 2007, 05:27
I dont realy take my psp out with me (because i might lose it or it might get stolen) so i dont mind if my battery dies quick.

Anyway 50% speed up!? i cant wait!

Buddy4point0
August 2nd, 2007, 05:36
I dont realy take my psp out with me (because i might lose it or it might get stolen) so i dont mind if my battery dies quick.

Anyway 50% speed up!? i cant wait!

the 50% speedup is from clocking to 333. which has been done since r1

Gold Line
August 2nd, 2007, 06:00
the 50% speedup is from clocking to 333. which has been done since r1

Yeah i know that now, i only read the first part before posting :rofl:

Buddy4point0
August 2nd, 2007, 06:36
lol nice one and great new sig man.

Gold Line
August 2nd, 2007, 06:41
Thanks its my first sig useing GIMP :D

By the way how long do ya think the next update will be its been quite some time since R12

CaptainMorgan4
August 2nd, 2007, 07:39
You mean when will R13 release, I'd say probably by the quickest would be like the 18th of this month and the 30th being probably the latest. You have to factor in the time he took to just relax, so he hasn't spent much time on Daedalus but I'm sure these changes he's making probably as we speak are going to be very beneificial to the speed of Daedalus PSP.

paco1984
August 3rd, 2007, 03:27
i agree completely. theres people who doubted snes running at full speed with adhoc play.just like everything else it all takes effort and a little bit of patience. i was playing zelda on r12 and it was fairly playable. and ive personaly downgraded a total of 9 psp's with no brick. booh yah.

ICE
August 3rd, 2007, 03:31
i agree completely. theres people who doubted snes running at full speed with adhoc play.just like everything else it all takes effort and a little bit of patience. i was playing zelda on r12 and it was fairly playable. and ive personaly downgraded a total of 9 psp's with no brick. booh yah.

downgraders are no more dangerous than sony updaters... not really impressive.. lol