PDA

View Full Version : MapThis in the plane :)

Nieko
August 2nd, 2007, 13:21
On my trip from Germany to Russia I've made the picture as in the attachment, showing we're flying above Belarus at ~840km/h :D

Also, I've made a trail (using the GPS recording I've changed/added) of the flight from Moscow to St. Petersburg, showing exactly how we flew. For those who didn't know yet, planes do not fly straight :P

troy1229
August 2nd, 2007, 14:24
I didn't know there were singls in the plane, interesting, I'll have a try. haha~~~

nikkinguyen
August 2nd, 2007, 15:13
is this a good thing? I thought that signals like the gps and cell phone interfer with flight deck? Be careful.

troy1229
August 2nd, 2007, 15:51
cell phone may interfer the plane, but not the Gps, it is a receiver, only receives singals, doesn't send them. so it is ok to use on plane.

AlexRoxUrSox
August 2nd, 2007, 16:07
dude, you couldave gone down and never posted this O_O

Codaz
August 2nd, 2007, 19:53
How does it come you have reception with the PSP-290
:O Is that possible in the plane, wow !

Nieko
August 2nd, 2007, 20:19
troy1229: my line of reasoning exactly, it only receives. I know airline staff is not too happy about stuff like that, so I turned the screen off and sat in front of it :P

Codaz: well, it took a few minutes (5-10 somewhere even I think), but I just let it lie near the window on a pile of clothes. After a while I got 8 satellites fixed even :D

spo
August 2nd, 2007, 20:57
There should be some sort of contest, - send in your pics of the highest speed recorded by mapthis!!

deniska
August 3rd, 2007, 05:41
Nieko,
It's a bit of topic, but I figured i'd write it here..

Can you do some enhancements to your routing page? (I am adding /PSP/COMMON folder to the list)
http://getroute.nieko.net/
I like it alot, but it's killing me to type with sony's OSK. can you add some javascript keyboard?
There are many examples on the web on how to do it...

And we need to discuss the sound support for the next mapthis release...
Basically, your script must look for key phrases in the waypoint descriptions and add integers to each waypoint line, based on the comparison. For example if you find the word "left" you append "10," to the end of the line.

Here is a sample dictionary, currently supported in gmdl:
1,$$$THE FIRST ENTRY IS THE DEFAULT WAYPOINT SOUND$$$
10,left
2,right
3,slight left
4,slight right
5,exit
6,arrive
6,arriving
6,destination
7,keep left
8,keep right
9,merge

If you have questions, PM me or in7ane

Nieko
August 3rd, 2007, 13:00
spo: hmm, at some speed that very plane did go 950km/h, shame I didn't capture it then :P

Nieko
August 3rd, 2007, 13:02
Deniska: I'm glad you like it :) But as for updates, right now I'm still on holidays, and only on the 19th will I have time to work on it.

Though I personally love Sony's OSK, I'll try and find some Javascript keyboard somewhere. Do you happen to have a link to a good one already? (GPL would be the nicest I think.)

About directions, I like the approach (having those numbers keeps MapThis itself simpler), and I don't see any problems putting it into my script. Do you already have a complete list of all the directives used in Google Maps/future MapThis for directions?

deniska
August 3rd, 2007, 15:48
http://testing.onlytherightanswers.com/pspkey2.htm - here is the first one that poped up on my google search. It could look much better if some styles were applied to it...

As far as the list goes, it's configurable in gmdl. (This way, people can extend mapThis's dictionary w/o changes to any of the programs - just add new mp3 promts to the mapViewer and change assignment in gmdl configuration.)
Hopefully you could do the same in your script:
have a textarea or a bunch of input fields with all number to word correspondences. The program then would read them from the form and process...
Take a look at in7ane's src code - he is doing this already in latest gmdl (although he reads it from a config file)
Anyway, there is no rush, since the new versions will be backwards compatible with older formats...

Nieko
August 3rd, 2007, 19:09
Oh, I just remembered, I thought the idea was to have an extra screen in MapThis which connects to my server and downloads the POI file. Reading POI files from /PSP/COMMON is then not necessary anymore, because MapThis can save it wherever it wants. (Although I still would really like support for it, because I use it a lot myself :P Will there btw. be an icon indicating in which directory the POI is stored? That would be rather handy.)

Also, you would not lose your fix on the satellites, because you don't have to exit MapThis anymore. Lastly, the javascript keyboard is not needed.

On the other hand, MapThis would become more chunky, and I can imagine you want to split the responsibilities a bit. (I.e., you'd need a screen for address lookup like in my script, those checkboxes I have, an extra screen for settings, etc.)

Well, you decide :) I'd like to extend the script, so that's no problem at all.

deniska
August 3rd, 2007, 19:14
Nieko,
I was playing with your script and noticed a slight problem.
All lines with "go XX mi" seem to have a control character between the number and "mi".
It's not displayed in wordpad, but "VI" pics it up and displays it as a pipe in different color.
See if you can remove it..
It's not a huge problem, but it may throw of internationalization packs a bit...

40.704700,-74.014120,go 0.1| mi,Turn right at Battery Pl,
!IMAGE:waypoint.png,
40.704720,-74.014490, ,MIDPOINT,
40.704940,-74.015670, ,MIDPOINT,
!IMAGE:circle.png,
40.704910,-74.016490,go 0.2| mi,Turn right at West St,
!IMAGE:waypoint.png,
40.705480,-74.016330, ,MIDPOINT,
40.706030,-74.016100, ,MIDPOINT,
40.706470,-74.016010, ,MIDPOINT,
!IMAGE:circle.png,
40.707210,-74.015720,go 0.1| mi,Turn right onto the Battery Tun ramp to I-278/Brooklyn,

Nieko
August 4th, 2007, 16:40
deniska: the \240 character (pipe) has been fixed, it's replaced by a space now.

Concerning the javascript keyboard, when internationalization becomes a part of MapThis, then all those characters will have to be added too. (Think e.g. of German, Swedish or Russian.) I don't think having all those different letters on the screen would be too handy.

On the other hand, Sony's OSK doesn't support Cyrillic. It would thus be nicer to call the script in MapThis itself, where you can use Danzeff's keyboard. This would make it a bit more like a TomTom ;), and you can decide yourself which characters you want to be able to use. But having such a screen in MapThis itself would also mean you would need the user settings (like the route dictionary in gmdl) either in MapThis itself, or using a login on my site per user. I don't think either is a really good idea.

Buh, so many pros and cons... Well, just my two cents :)

AlexRoxUrSox
August 4th, 2007, 17:03
Does anyone here have any ideas about trying to implement a PS/2 keyboard for a psp? I've been playing with the idea.

Codaz
August 4th, 2007, 19:32
Nieko,

You can use this keyboard, was released a few days ago. Made by poison:

http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-release-poisons-keyboard-116478.html

MIB.42
August 4th, 2007, 23:34
spo: hmm, at some speed that very plane did go 950km/h, shame I didn't capture it then :P

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52863

... is only 815km/h, but might have been the first MapThis! in the air... (?!)

and yes, I did talk with the Pilot about it... ;-)

Sinistar
August 8th, 2007, 02:45
I was gonna try this on my flight to Reno, but i didnt think it would work.. haha I might try it the next time I fly :)