PDA

View Full Version : Hacking without Flashing?

Brophy
August 2nd, 2007, 22:31
I've been working on getting a dumped game (in the form of "EBOOT.PBP" ) to work on a PSP with official firmware (3.50).

My goal is to try and find a way for poor kids that are afraid of flashing they're PSP to be able to play PSX games via MS ProDuo... -_-... yeah... i know... anyway...

After about 2 hours, this is the closest I've gotten:
in the folder "GAME" you place two folders:

nnnnLLLLL
nnnnLLLLL%

(where "n" is a number and "L" is a letter- although i tried using the original UMD serials, it actually doesn't make a difference what numbers and letters are used (so far...) just as long as both folders are identical, with one having a percent sign immediately after it)

In the file "nnnnLLLLL%" is a (small) EBOOT.PBP file - I used the Xianide demo -

In the file "nnnnLLLLL" is the EBOOT.PBP file of the game you actually want to play

both files WILL show up in the Game folder on the PSP (no corrupted icons because an EBOOT.PBP is being used, not a PARAM.SFO) but on the PSP you must select the file created via the "nnnnLLLLL%" folder (the Xianide demo)

The game actually starts and I THINK that the PSP does actually try to read the EBOOT.PBP in the "nnnnLLLLL" folder (but who the heck knows?:confused: )

then just after the white start screen a message pops up saying:

The game couldn't be started.
(8002014C)

I realise that I'm just trying a variation of the KXploit, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this and got any further than I have...

Am I just wasting my time? Or could it theoretically be done?

I know I'm a bit of an idiot- but this is all i can think to do... and after all... It's a noble cause :)

gannon730
August 2nd, 2007, 22:43
kl if you made this then maybe just maybe you can use it as a help for homebrew have you or anyone actually tried signing the code instead of workin your way round it i know it might sound a bit newbish but i was just wonderin any way good luck with that mate i hope you get it done

Tesseract
August 2nd, 2007, 23:42
kl if u made ths thn mayb jus mayb u cn use it as a help for homebrew have you or any1 actually tried signing tht code instead of workin ur wy round it i knw it might sound a bit newbish bt i ws jus wonderin any wy gd luck with tht mate i hope u get it dun

gannon730: That....was an eyesore. I don't know what you expected to accomplish by abbreviating 'you', but spelling 'instead' and 'homebrew' fully. Please be a bit more kind to the readers' eyes in the future. Not everyone that reads this site speaks English as their first language, and stuff like that makes it even harder for them to get along.

Brophy: Good luck with your endeavour. I know people have been chipping away at PSP software for a long time now, but sometimes the biggest breakthroughs happen with a fresh point of view.

Your best bet might be to get in contact with folks such as Team NOOBZ to see if they have any knowledge that might help you.

After about 2 hours, this is the closest I've gotten:
in the folder "GAME" you place two folders:

nnnnLLLLL
nnnnLLLLL%

I was just looking at this part again.... Official SONY firmware hasn't used this format since.... I think it was just 1.50. All 'official' executables come in just a single folder with a single EBOOT now, so if you're working with current firmware (which would really be the only thing worth doing since we already know 1.50's ability to run unsigned code) then you might want to start with just a single EBOOT. I know the PSPToolchain from PSPDev compiles things by default into a single file....

splodger15
August 3rd, 2007, 09:55
Sorry to kill your hopes but this wont work

Brophy
August 3rd, 2007, 12:41
Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate the advice.
Like I say, am really just a newbie trying something new.
I realise that the KXploit only works with v1.5 firmware, but was trying to see if a variation might work... am very grateful for any criticism-

maybe splodger15 could explain why and give some advice on how else i could get a bite on this project...

Am going to ask further questions at team NOOBZ, I'm sure they've had loads of experience in this area.

But if anyone has any further advice, please don't hesitate to let me know...

I guess I'm really looking for someone to say, "been there, done that... it doesn't work- and this is why... ______ ... but you could try this... _______"

Thanks again,

Brophy

sourced
August 9th, 2007, 08:06
first thing you should do is use one folder instead of two. the current official firmwares of sony use One folder when they put eboot files inside and not 2.

and second, i wish you the best of luck but i highly doubt this will work.