PDA

View Full Version : PSP 1seg TV Tuner Compatible Only With PSP Slim

wraggster
August 3rd, 2007, 02:36
http://image1.play-asia.com/170/5l/pa.100556.1.jpg

Just noticed on Play Asia a preorder for the PSP TV Tuner and the sad news is that original PSP Owners have been dealt a blow with the news that the TV Tuner only works on the Upcoming PSP Slim.

Heres the details posted at Play Asia: (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-12z-49-en-84-j-70-25l8.html)

features
Official PSP PlayStation Portable 1seg TV Tuner
Suitable only for the new Slim Lime Series (PSP-2000)

Is this why the new PSP has the 32MB Upgrade?, why the original PSP cant run it is a mystery but its sad news for those of us who dont want to upgrade to a newer version of the PSP.

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/PSP_TV_Tuner_For_PSP_Slim_Only)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/PSP_TV_Tuner_For_PSP_Slim_Only

Heres a photo of the TV Tuner on the PSP:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pa.100556.2.jpg

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 02:42
Hopefully one will be made for us with regular PSP's, cause that's not fair if we're missing out on portable T.V! :(

Uberman
August 3rd, 2007, 03:04
I wouldn't hold your breath. Sony wants to kill the original PSP, so they aren't going to come out with this kind of support anymore. The best we'll see from this point forward will be new firmware versions, but they won't really add anything.

:(

Buddy4point0
August 3rd, 2007, 03:09
im gonna buy a slim, so even if it is slim only i could still get it. but too bad they didnt add a built in camera in the slim, i woulda loved that so much

cypressice
August 3rd, 2007, 03:48
This is bullshit, i can't afford a new psp and in my opinion this is sony stickin it to us

so i say...
F@#% you sony that was a low blow towards a community that is the only reason your system is worth a shit.

Now lets go back to our devs and see if maybe we can lose a Location Free Player and replace it with the a TV tuner.

It must be software

CaptainMorgan4
August 3rd, 2007, 03:54
I wouldn't be surprised if they could hack it to work on our PSP's, but really I wouldn't mind picking up a Slim PSP but only if it gets the homebrew support like we have now one day. Think about it though imagine how much emulation would improve if we could do homebrew on this Slim PSP, Daedalus would be so much better and Snes9xTYL would be full speed!

Gene
August 3rd, 2007, 04:04
That tv tuner is HUGE! I would never stick something so gigantic on my psp. It wouldn't fit anywhere if i slapped that thing on.

I'm probably going to get myself a slim, but I can guarantee that tv tuner has around 5 channels.

Brucem
August 3rd, 2007, 04:27
Does this pick up ATSC channels?

jinqui242
August 3rd, 2007, 04:27
OMG, I want a TV tuner so I can view kitten videos. Wheeee!

Tesseract
August 3rd, 2007, 04:46
I wouldn't be surprised if they could hack it to work on our PSP's, but really I wouldn't mind picking up a Slim PSP but only if it gets the homebrew support like we have now one day. Think about it though imagine how much emulation would improve if we could do homebrew on this Slim PSP, Daedalus would be so much better and Snes9xTYL would be full speed!

This thought worries me, too. What if homebrew coders start relying on that extra memory? Then they'd be joining SONY in alienating those of us who already own the consoles. It's unfortunate, but it's a likely reality.

Maybe we'll luck out and get a good trade-in offer when the new PSPs come out. :P

ICE
August 3rd, 2007, 04:51
wait isnt 1seg only in japan? why should i care?

unstoppable_96
August 3rd, 2007, 05:47
I bet some one will modify one of these to fit the original

PSP hackers are legendary

uranidiot
August 3rd, 2007, 06:01
wow this is REALLY OLD NEWS! the tv was announced over three weeks ago at e3..(gamespot) and even then they said it would only work in jp. if u by this outside of jp ur buying a paperweight...like my ps3.

CaptainMorgan4
August 3rd, 2007, 06:13
Hold on there isn't an expected release for USA for the TV tuner at all?

Veskgar
August 3rd, 2007, 06:52
Even though I may never find use for one of these, if SONY starts releasing accessories, games, etc. that are exclusive to the "SLIM" PSP, it is a big slap in the face insult to the millions of current PSP owners.

Seriously, if SONY wanted to release a new generation of PSP's, they should have made a PSP2 or something. However, when they release a PSP with minor changes and then expect everyone with the current PSP to run out and spend more money on essentially the same thing, its not really looking too good in the eyes of the consumer.

I'm getting a PSP Slim but only to keep it and save it for use with homebrew if it is ever cracked/exploited.

osgeld
August 3rd, 2007, 07:09
wow this is REALLY OLD NEWS! the tv was announced over three weeks ago at e3..(gamespot) and even then they said it would only work in jp. if u by this outside of jp ur buying a paperweight...like my ps3.

agreed, it was posted here thereabout 3 weeks ago too
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68874

btw guys, the allies won WWII too, just in case you didnt know
:eek:

Art
August 3rd, 2007, 08:17
It'll get worse if there's more memory in it then it will be used,
so more and more games will require that memory.
Otherwise there's no reason for imporiving it.

Aryn
August 3rd, 2007, 08:34
"Seriously, if SONY wanted to release a new generation of PSP's, they should have made a PSP2 or something. However, when they release a PSP with minor changes and then expect everyone with the current PSP to run out and spend more money on essentially the same thing, its not really looking too good in the eyes of the consumer."

Nintendo released the Gameboy Pocket after the Gameboy, the Gameboy Advance SP after the Gameboy Advance, and the DS Lite after the DS. And how many accesories from earlier versions of these game systems fit newer versions? Seriously, there are plenty of consumers who happen to love Nintendo even after making these boneheaded moves, while SONY gets a bit more bad publicity for doing once what Nintendo has been doing just once. That does not seem fair to me at all.

And I say that as a Nintendo fan boy, for crissakes.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, I still do not agree with the practice of phasing out older versions of a game system and forcing people to purchase a newer version with only a few differences for full price. I mean, the game system manufacturers are supposed to be entertaining us, not attaching strings to us and pulling them to make us dance for them (pardon the silly metaphor).

And yes, it would be a total insult to everybody if SONY did release games that are exclusive to the slim PSP.

"I'm getting a PSP Slim but only to keep it and save it for use with homebrew if it is ever cracked/exploited."

Er...isn't that just playing into SONY's hands? I mean, if you do not desire to purchase a slim PSP for the few added features it carries then there is no need to rush out there and do so right away until it is cracked.

At the moment the slim PSP is cracked people can go to the store and pick it up before SONY flashes an updated firmware onto it. it would take quite awhile for SONY to visit every single store around the world, recall every single PSP, and flash the latest firmware onto them.

You are better off setting aside the money for your slim PSP and keeping it in your bank account until the system is cracked. Who knows, by then the price might have gone down a little bit and there would be some added features and accessories that would make the system worth purchasing.

Joe88
August 3rd, 2007, 09:13
well
there not forcing anyone to buy the new one

this is more for people who havent gotten one yet, to maybe make them finally want to purchase one

not for current PSP owners

just the the 360 elite, for people who havent bought one yet

Axelius
August 3rd, 2007, 10:13
I love this sentence!!

PSP hackers are legendary
I hope our hackers will still release their programs with support for the old PSP. Some kind of resistance to show Sony that the old PSP is far from being outdated!

cypressice
August 3rd, 2007, 10:39
well
there not forcing anyone to buy the new one

this is more for people who havent gotten one yet, to maybe make them finally want to purchase one

not for current PSP owners

just the the 360 elite, for people who havent bought one yet

Hey...........Heres a thought.

I don't give a shit about anyone who hasn't gotten a PSP because they need more convincing. If there too stupid to realize just how badass this little black piece of equipment is......F@#% EM'.

I already paid my dues and i think its bullshit that they release the same thing as before, only with a small modification that could limit the usability of the people that invested there hard earned money from the start (when everyone else needed more "convincing"). I can't wait for the day when my friend is like "You gotta check out this new game/add-on,..........Oh wait that right you have the old fat one that doesn't do the new stuff". Ill be sure and thank Sony then.

And you know what it is just like the 360 Elite in the fact that they are dickin' there fans also.

So I hope everyone is good and lubed up for the PS3, Cause it won't be gentle

Our only hope here is what PSP devs will do to help keep us Original Hoop-D users in the race. Without you guys my PSP would have died long ago (So you better give em props too.....SONY).

And so I ask the DEVs, Please get us through this dark time.

Airwave
August 3rd, 2007, 10:46
Lol,but i think thats only for japan TV standard my interesting is DVB-T in Europe.I will wait for the gameconvention in germany.Sony says they have news for europe on the GC.So i reportet

greats from germany.

mcdougall57
August 3rd, 2007, 14:04
we buy your console and your games and you still kick us in the teeth

gr42178
August 3rd, 2007, 14:38

How will the new PSP make these faster? Sorry I havent been around in a while, dont know too much info on the new PSP.....

geise69
August 3rd, 2007, 14:54
The ONLY thing that would help emulation/homebrew on the psp lite is the extra 32 megs of ram they are throwing in on it. The benefit would be a more compatible MAME emu and the cps2/neogeo emulator not needing to cache as many games.

tomwaller
August 3rd, 2007, 16:12
This is absolutly disgusting of Sony. We the loyal PSP owners who have stuck by them since day one are being forced into an upgrade. Seriously foul play.

JPJunkie
August 3rd, 2007, 16:30
I hope they release one for the old type of psp but I doubt they will

brunobelo
August 3rd, 2007, 19:01
I bet this works on the PSP-Phat, Sony is telling us that it won't work because she wants us to buy the new one. I don't see why this wouldn't work, 32mb of RAM is more than enough.

CaptainMorgan4
August 3rd, 2007, 22:25
Ok hold on even if this did release for the old PSP and worked, what kind of use could the USA users get out of this tool? What kind of channels would we get 3,6,and 10 like bunny ears on a tv set? What kind of channels does it get, and if we had it working on our PSP's could we hack it to like get DirectTV channels?

mfz64
August 4th, 2007, 00:58
three words.....BS

acn010
August 4th, 2007, 01:08
i dont mind it cause im buying the slim XD

cawley1
August 4th, 2007, 07:45
Why is everyone moaning - look at it from the other side, I had to disk swap with my ST just because a tiny percentage of the userbase still had 512K drives, unlike the more common 1-Meg ones!

My second PSP sold on eBay last week for £116, and the money is in the bank for a slim, can't wait for it to come out!

PlagueMusic
August 4th, 2007, 14:46
its worth upgrading if cracked for the extra 32mb ram especially if games like god of war f*** us up and require all 64mb leaving us old users behind :/

jerrt
August 4th, 2007, 16:09
wait isnt 1seg only in japan? why should i care?

i was wondering why anyone would really care considering this. [unless you are in japan, then you should care.]

kjetil1991
August 5th, 2007, 14:06
we dont need the shity tv tuner from sony we have remotejoy=P

blackrave
August 5th, 2007, 14:54
kjetil1991, the TV tuner is for getting digital television signals (that's right, such as NRK1 & TV2 (though I doubt the tuner will work here)). But you're right as for the video output the Slim version has. It's needless when we have Remotejoy. :)

acn010
August 5th, 2007, 15:12
do you think its gonna be like a tivo (recordind and stuff? i wish it can be so i can view my shows on the memstick XD

kjetil1991
August 7th, 2007, 13:42
i saw video demo of psp slim i had 3.50 version maybe homebrew hope slim too?

ashleyriot
October 10th, 2007, 04:31
been searching over the net if anyone is interested to take a crack at the tv tuner...i read from psp-hacks that it was also compatible with the phat so i checked out the site which led me to a japanese blog demonstrating how to modify the phat to recieve 1seg broadcast...i tried it out and it did work but the signal is way lower compared to the slim still, it goes to show that it does work for the phat. i know 1seg only works in japan but what im after now is if someone knowledgeable about broadcasting be kind enough to check if we can alter the system inside the tuner to receive other frequencies aside from what 1seg is broadcasting....

2 things i need to start with,
1. can the tv tuner system be dumped to the memory stick?
2. can the system be tweaked to receive local frequencies?

hope someone is interested and help me search if dumping and tweaking the system is possible.

heres a sample of my phat using the tv tuner :

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff245/s0ush1/tvtuneronphat01.jpg

ICE
October 10th, 2007, 05:05
i will start caring when this thing starts doing something in the us.

ashleyriot
October 10th, 2007, 05:13
well, if someone can alter the system to receive broadcast from local channels then maybe the units would reach your place... :) (not officially though)

ICE
October 10th, 2007, 05:21
if someone manages that i'll import one like i did chotto.

ashleyriot
October 10th, 2007, 05:38
ill search around more perhaps we can base the extraction of the system like what dax did to extract the umd content and dump it to the ms... :)

from there maybe someone can read the system....

kryst abegnalie
October 10th, 2007, 07:41
I hope some one can see the codes for the tv tuner cause i like to watch tv on my phat PSP, if we can know what the tuner has, can we modify other tv tuner so that we dont need to but the 1seg tv tuner from japan.

Wow, While im searching the net, there exist a tv tuner in GBA made by Phillips, but it almost the same size as the GBA. Well, it can store up to 99 channels, not unlike the 1seg for PSP-for-japan-only. and it has an external antenna. PSP is more powerful than the GBA so there's a possibility in the phat psp to view portable tv.

to view the specs and the tv tuner, click on this Link (http://www.gameboyroms.net/accessories/gba_tv_tuner.htm)