PDA

View Full Version : Route calculation

Jubei
August 3rd, 2007, 03:25
Hello,
I've been following this amazing project since long time and it still is a very promising tool that you guys are working on.
I know there are some thread about that, and I like the Google Map style gps, but what do you think about vector maps? The reason I ask is because I am wondering about route calculation, how this is going to work. I guess it needs lots of complicated algorithms for a vector map based gps, but wouldn't it be even more complex for an image maps based gps?

Deniska spoke about roadnav, which look promising too, but as I understand not really reliable for now.

Do you think it is even possible to do some (offline) route calculation with the image map system we have? Or do programmers here have any idea how to implement this?

deniska
August 3rd, 2007, 04:57
in theory, it's possible, since you can distingush roads from anything else on the map by looking at color of pixels on the image... but I doubt it will be very intelligent...
perhaps someone is willing to give it a try..?

Codaz
August 3rd, 2007, 12:25
Vmap PSP has vector imaging.

But no updates lately, maybe the coder is on vacation OR he lost interest.

Jubei
August 4th, 2007, 03:13
in theory, it's possible, since you can distingush roads from anything else on the map by looking at color of pixels on the image... but I doubt it will be very intelligent...
perhaps someone is willing to give it a try..?

wow, that's an idea I coudn't even think of. After some thought, it looks doable for example while downloading the map with in7ane's tool. Then that process would just create something like a vector map from the image map.
And what do you think about using vector maps? Could this be used to skip the process of analyzing the map for routes? And use this as a new layer with the image map (something like the google map system)