PDA

View Full Version : Iris advertisments

britishemo15
August 4th, 2007, 14:48
hey, i havent been on here for ages anyway i wanted to stop by and say howdy... sorry not had long to read previous threads

but hey.... why dont we try and promote iris.... it would get more people helping out on making characters and maps....

anyway... me and my mate wanna help out already started to create people mostly from other games like killzone and sonic the hedgehog

any requests for characters and maps... i have exactly 1 month of free time and am willing to spend hours a night doing this

britishemo15
August 25th, 2007, 16:01
no one interested? fine...

DPyro
August 25th, 2007, 17:23
Iris is a discontinued project, so there wouldn't be any point in continuing to make characters for it unless someone else picks up the project.

britishemo15
August 28th, 2007, 00:03
so its official unless some one picks up the project... hmm well what is it written in? C++? C?

i can code in both fluently and i have experiance in working with game engines,

britishemo15
August 29th, 2007, 19:24
hey, noobtaculus can you code?

or do you just make maps and characters we could create a new iris team, what ya say we could get other coders and designers working on the project,

this would be great if start it off again:D

we may have to talk to whoever officially owns it, like produkt and mgfox (maybe PSmonkey)

but i think we could start a new begining

Noobtaculus
August 29th, 2007, 20:38
I can code in JAVA but not C++. I can make maps but models, I can only skin. If you've got anything for me to do on a new Iris build, Id be happy to do whtever I can :)
I can also design ison ghraphics and some other menu graphics if needed.
I know that Buddy4point0 was doing some lua coding so try to get in touch with him too if u want. He wants to revive iris as much as all of us.

Some thing I want in IRIS:
-crosshairs
-proper gui (menu)
-wifi multiplayer

britishemo15
August 31st, 2007, 16:02
this is awesome... yeh, i think we could crack a real GUI
and maybe even sound by the next build but we may need to ask produkt and PSmonkey for permission

XD iris is coming back!!

starfox5194
September 1st, 2007, 00:36
well that seems cool wish i could help =[

btw whrer did you get the sourcecode i couldn't find it anywhere

britishemo15
September 1st, 2007, 11:03
im going to ask for the source code so i could send it ya

but we might not be able to do it as im waiting for produkt to answer my email

PSmonkey
September 4th, 2007, 17:41
If you can prove to me that you can actualy code and wont be wasting my time, you're more then welcome to the source (it's a messy pos, iris was more an experiment for me to learn 3d). I can also offer any assistance you need in getting the thing back on track but I wont join up to code (work contract bars me from it).

britishemo15
September 9th, 2007, 17:45
yeh, i can code fluently, ask me to code something and i will.... im now starting sixth form in school so i should get some practice from my programming lessons and such...

Buddy4point0
September 19th, 2007, 22:29
OMG!
thank you britishemo15.
if you can truely code and prove it and get the source and continue iris i would deffinantly pick up mapping agian. i was pretty good and iris was def my favorate homebrew ever. i cant wait

Jalechah
September 23rd, 2007, 13:30
maybe i could be of some help also. not as much with the coding. but im pretty confident in my 3D modeling skills and texturing, aswell as rigging and animating. I use 3DS max.

Noobtaculus
September 23rd, 2007, 17:54
does 3ds max work for iris models? (i use it 2)

britishemo15
October 2nd, 2007, 19:50
hmm, sorry guys i havent been on in a while
@PSmonkey pm me please, i cant add you to msn as my computer is extremely ill at the moment lol

give me a program to code and i shall try my hardest

we should get the source when PSmonkey gives me summat to program then we should be away

wow its christmas soon yay!!

Campin_Carl
October 3rd, 2007, 02:09
well
if u actualy make this game not suck, ill make stuff for it
this game was never realy fun, i just was hopin somone would make it cooler
if u guys realy do pick this up, here are my suggestions
move with arrow keys, look around with joystik, first person ( i REALY REALY REALY REALY want it first person) and make it so bots can move up and down, and make it so u shoot sprites instead of those damn squares. grenades would be nice too, but that might be a lil much

if u guys make that, this game wouldnt suck that much ;)
ill make halo models if u guys do manage to make everythin i said up there, cause then it would be worth my time... i got ALOT of hw now that im in high school....

PSmonkey
October 3rd, 2007, 17:12
Guys, I keep PM britishemo15 but i've yet to get replies from him.

I won't just randomly throw up a link to my code on the forums here. If britishemo15 is serious he would work better to get in contact with me. I actualy atm have tons of free time to help him get better situated with the old code.

Actualy personaly I am now in favor of iris dying. The thing needs to be redone from scrach. I am at the moment helping a friend with planning out a new engine as well as feeding him any knollage I have on q3 maps (i'm not doing any coding).

well
if u actualy make this game not suck, ill make stuff for it
this game was never realy fun, i just was hopin somone would make it cooler
if u guys realy do pick this up, here are my suggestions
move with arrow keys, look around with joystik, first person ( i REALY REALY REALY REALY want it first person) and make it so bots can move up and down, and make it so u shoot sprites instead of those damn squares. grenades would be nice too, but that might be a lil much

if u guys make that, this game wouldnt suck that much ;)
ill make halo models if u guys do manage to make everythin i said up there, cause then it would be worth my time... i got ALOT of hw now that im in high school....

Heh, I must admit that iris does suck when it tries to run on real maps. The AI was never ment to be something more then just temporary for the first version of iris. Actualy if I was not under such deadlines for the compo I would have had a bit more decent ai (they have a bug resulting in them turning around till they visualy find you, that or randomly bounce off walls till they're in range.

:P

Noobtaculus
October 3rd, 2007, 19:59
ok ya i was thinking that we should try to redo iris from scratch however we shud keep the map and player model formats bsp and md2 s. I'm not coding now so ill just be making sum more maps...heres a sample of one
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5710/64346403ro7.jpg
its a soccer (football) field with satnds and a spectator box thing, still working on it...

and for the AIs in iris, we should get the gravity to work so theyre not stuck in mid air shooting at you when ur like 2 stories below them lol

PSmonkey
October 3rd, 2007, 21:19
ok ya i was thinking that we should try to redo iris from scratch however we shud keep the map and player model formats bsp and md2 s. I'm not coding now so ill just be making sum more maps...heres a sample of one
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5710/64346403ro7.jpg
its a soccer (football) field with satnds and a spectator box thing, still working on it...

and for the AIs in iris, we should get the gravity to work so theyre not stuck in mid air shooting at you when ur like 2 stories below them lol

Not a bad looking map. Do you have any screenshots from a more complex map? Also how long did it take you to do that map? I have a friend who might need someone to make some maps for him.

As for the AI in iris, They have no notion of up & down. The code was quickly writen back when iris was still flat. So AI really does not understand gravity.

Campin_Carl
October 4th, 2007, 00:24
wew, i thought someone was gonna get mad at me for sayin iris is lame
ill be at me mums tomorow, and then i might finish the battle rifle and post it so someone can skin it (i can skin, but it reealy sucks, cause i cant draw for shit)
its not too great, but i whipped it up in like 20 minutes
i might edit it to make it look like not ass
i havent turned on my psp since the last tim ei posted from the account max_hempfling, and i have yet to find the charger
is it possible to make it so skins can be more than just 256 colors? if it is then i got a bunch of nice zombie models i can stick into iris to have a nice resident evil mod ;)

PSmonkey
October 4th, 2007, 18:14
wew, i thought someone was gonna get mad at me for sayin iris is lame

Others might but I won't.

Iris was originaly nothing more then me learning how to do 3D coding (originaly started as a bsp render on pc). Along came dcemu coding compo so I desided to push on the psp port I made of my bsp render code, threw in a few game mechanics and that was it. I was actualy blown away people cought on to the idea of moding iris.

At the same time I'm disapointed the only thing simular to iris was pspdungon. I hope more stuff like this comes out where people can mod it into new game much like quake/hl/unreal is on the pc. There is definantly a mod scene with in the psp scene that is hungry for something to mod.

PSmonkey
October 4th, 2007, 22:26
Ya iris should be "refurbished" to be more like a shooter rather than what it is with those crappy AIs (no offense to whoever made them) and low framerates. Optimizing the engine wshould be a priority because we have like an unlimited bank of maps and models. But if they have no great engine to play on, its not worth it. It needs crosshairs, health bars and a start and pause menu etc etc.

I'm the bastard that wrote the AI. :rofl:

Framerate is poor because nothing was optimised for the psp. The main issue is I am trying to force raw Q3 maps to run on the psp. The PSP can handle the space needed for textures. Even the simple quake 2 maps I used were way too much (12-14 256x256 textures was overkill). This was one reason why I forced textures to try turning them selfs in 8bit images (but my code was not great, it did not actualy try to fix the palettes, it just took the first 256 colors).

Rest of the stuff was just stuff I never got around to doing. :P

Noobtaculus
October 10th, 2007, 20:27
The AIs are good but they need gravity effects and a few other improvements. We can definitely use what we have already. When will we start on some new code? (britishemo?)

britishemo15
October 13th, 2007, 15:50
bad news guys, as you could probably tell, ive been talking to psmonkey and well he's decided not to hand out the source as he is advising a friend on a game engine, so iris is no more, ever

BUT..... i may start working on a game myself from scratch in the near future, ill start to draw some plans up, im dealy serious and need to do something as coursework will kill my brain otherwise

ill start some plans then ill show you guys them maybe we could still work on something

any ideas

HaloBro35
February 20th, 2008, 02:17
this sucks.. I was really looking forward to iris... That's what I hate about all mods... 90% of them never pull through.

shiveringblade
March 8th, 2008, 21:56
um i can also make maps and all, nvr did textures or model but no point anymore. i started to learn to code but if anyone wanna start to team up to make a new game such as this ill be glad to help out how ever i can. and im trying to make my own game too at the moment so yeah give ideas. if help needed ask, chk my maps i made previously.

Also theres no point to make maps unless iris is picked up again or similar game is bieng developed.

britishemo15
May 16th, 2008, 11:20
hey, good news.... been writing a game engine like i said i was going to, been able to load everything, but i need some maps doing preferably just like iris maps but with a bit more detail.... i can render a version of halo 2's masterchief model but bit blurry...... but i can only run this on the dev kit i have access to... so answer on here if u could help....