PDA

View Full Version : The death wand...

MyNameIsLily
August 6th, 2007, 11:38
I'm a little bit confused about the whole situation in the last couple of chapters.

Can somebody explain a few things in a simple way ...

1] the whole ownership of the death wand

2] and why this caused harry not to die

3]how voldemort died

Thanks muchly:)

SeanJ13
August 8th, 2007, 02:37
1) No ansewr to this one

2) harry dident die because when voldomort fired the killing curse he killed part of his own soul and not harrys, because when Voldimort tried to kill harry back when harry was like 1 or 2 or 3 or what ever he made harry a horkrux some how

3)dunno

wai
August 8th, 2007, 16:21
1] the whole ownership of the death wand

2] and why this caused harry not to die

3]how voldemort died

"True" ownership of the death wand, that is, for a wand to choose a wizard/witch and 'bond' with him/her, can only occur if the wizard or witch defeats the previous "true" owner in a magical duel. Otherwise the wand remains quite ordinary and not truly powerful.

Harry defeated the previous true owner of the death wand - Draco Malfoy, when he was escaping from the Malfoy mansion. Voldemort thought that the true owner was Snape, but it was actually Draco who killed Albus and Snape took 'credit' for it. Voldemort thought that by killing Snape, he'd be the next true owner.

Therefore, when Voldemort tried to use the death wand to kill Harry, it didn't work - he only managed to kill the part of Voldemort's soul still in Harry, like Sean says.

The second time Voldemort tried to use the wand to kill Harry, the wand flat out refused to cast the spell on him and instead it rebounded onto Voldemort, who, having no more Horcruxes left, was finally killed.

iamharrypotter
August 13th, 2007, 10:38
Actually Snape did kill Dumbledore, there is no question of that. But Malfoy did disarm Dumbledore. So in theory he did defeat Dumbledore making him the Elder Wand's rightful owner.

But Harry didn't actually defeat Malfoy to gain the Elder Wand. He just snatched it out of his hand as they were escaping from the Malfoy Mansion. I'm not sure of the actual criteria needed for conquering the Elder Wand but I can't imagine the Elder Wand bonding with a new owner if that is the way it was won.

Anyway, Voldermort never had the Elder Wand when he was dualling with Harry. Harry had this. However JK does refer to it as the Elder Wand when Voldermort casts the killing curse which rebounds. This is quite confusing.

But it still doesn't explain why Ollivander didn't realise he was looking at the Elder Wand when Harry asked him to inspect it. I would've he might've realised he had an amazing wand in his hand.

Swimkid
August 13th, 2007, 19:44
What??? Didn't Voldemort take the Elder wand from Dumbledores gave? Harry just disarmed Draco and took his wand NOT the elder wand.
So Ollivander wasn't looking at the Elder Wand.

SnesR0X
August 14th, 2007, 07:04
What??? Didn't Voldemort take the Elder wand from Dumbledores gave? Harry just disarmed Draco and took his wand NOT the elder wand.
So Ollivander wasn't looking at the Elder Wand.

The wand "knew" that Harry had disarmed Draco therefore ownership of the wand belonged to Harry. It doesn't matter if Draco had the wand on him at the time or not.

Yes, Ollivander was not looking at the Elder Wand, don't listen to "iamharrypotter". Harry never touched the wand untill the very end of the book to fix his own. Seriously, "iamharrypotter", learn to read.

iamharrypotter
August 14th, 2007, 09:39
You are right, Draco didn't have the Elder Wand on him at any point.

Took me a while to figure it all out hence my other confused posting.

Also, Harry said at the end that if he doesn't have the wand and manages to die undefeated the wand will lose all it's powers. How come this didn't happen to the invisibility cloak? If the 3rd Peverall brother managed to die of natural causes and passed it down through his family, shouldn't this have happened to it also?

And my last point on the matter...why does he want the wand to lose these magical powers. If it's such an incredible wand it must have some use. This is the 21st century, they can try and stop it from falling into the wrong hands. There's so much good it can do.

Also, bit of a shame about the Resurrection Stone. All very well that Harry managed to use it to see his dead friends and family but is now going to deny this chance to other people. How selfish can you get?

Swimkid
August 14th, 2007, 16:49
The wand "knew" that Harry had disarmed Draco therefore ownership of the wand belonged to Harry. It doesn't matter if Draco had the wand on him at the time or not.

Yes, Ollivander was not looking at the Elder Wand, don't listen to "iamharrypotter". Harry never touched the wand untill the very end of the book to fix his own. Seriously, "iamharrypotter", learn to read.

Yeah. People were confusing me with all the wands... :mad:

Swimkid
August 14th, 2007, 16:51
You are right, Draco didn't have the Elder Wand on him at any point.

Took me a while to figure it all out hence my other confused posting.

Also, Harry said at the end that if he doesn't have the wand and manages to die undefeated the wand will lose all it's powers. How come this didn't happen to the invisibility cloak? If the 3rd Peverall brother managed to die of natural causes and passed it down through his family, shouldn't this have happened to it also?

And my last point on the matter...why does he want the wand to lose these magical powers. If it's such an incredible wand it must have some use. This is the 21st century, they can try and stop it from falling into the wrong hands. There's so much good it can do.

Also, bit of a shame about the Resurrection Stone. All very well that Harry managed to use it to see his dead friends and family but is now going to deny this chance to other people. How selfish can you get?

The invisibility cloak DOES NOT choose it's master but can be useful to pretty much anyone.
The ressurection stone seemed useless and pointless until the momonet where Harry needed help going to die.

Sh*t I double posted. Sorry guys.

SnesR0X
August 15th, 2007, 02:07
Dead on Swimkid, wand form a strong bond with their owner, the Invisibility cloak is completely different. The reason the wand would lose it's powers is because if Harry dies never defeated, then nobody can claim ownership over it.

Cloudhunter
August 15th, 2007, 03:17
Make sure you put "Spoiler:" in the topic ;)

Cloudy

SnesR0X
August 15th, 2007, 08:07
Yes, well the first couple of lines say, "In the last couple of chapters in the book", so unless there is some disorder where you can't stop reading, there should be no problem.