PDA

View Full Version : Disc Won't Spin

3x0dys
June 22nd, 2005, 01:59
I've tried recalibrating the laser, but the disc doesn't spin at all. it makes a rapid clicking noise, and I can hear the laser trying to read. I'm pretty sure the disc motor thing is broken, if anyone could help me out, it'd be great.

Christuserloeser
June 22nd, 2005, 15:32
It's very very easy to replace the disc drive unit with a new one. Open your DC carefully and you'll see how easy it is.
Just buy a DC that's not working from ebay and try it. You may have luck and the disc drive is still working.

ptr.exe
June 22nd, 2005, 17:19
Or just replace the spindle motor at much cheaper cost. If the disc is not spinning but the laser is doing stuff then its definately the spindle motor, you can replace one with a similar one, they are really common and can be found easily.

Test the spindle motor first with a battery just to ensure it is that and not something blown in the DC. If the motor won't work even with batteries then simply find one of similar size, solder wires from DC to it and attach DC spindle and then put in the GD-Rom assembly.

mangakiwi
July 2nd, 2005, 19:47
I just replaced the laser in my PS2 and now instead of getting just the DRE I get the DRE plus CLICK CLICK CLICK CLIK! I went in and cleaned out the arm, bent it down a bit and lubricated everything. Now i'm getting a more muffled clicking. It seems to be coming from inside of the worm drives motor like it doesn't know when to stop. I just replaced the worm drive also and I get the same result. Any Ideas what I can do?

Oh, I have gotton two games to work: Marval VS. Capcom 2 (a purple disk) and Magic Pengel (A silver disk) but magic pengel quit after the first loading point, actually thats when the clicking started in the first place.

Any help would be much appreciated!

ptr.exe
July 2nd, 2005, 21:54
Sounds like the switch will tells the laser that its in as far as it will go is bust, look for a small switch near the spindle motor, if this isnt pressed then the laser will keep trying to get to the centre, might be the problem. Its unlikely to be broken but you may have snapped it when replacing the laser.

Plus lubricating will only make that clicking worse, its caused when the plastic arm is worn down and 'jumps' over the grooves, try replacing the arm as it can be bought for only £4 on eBay.

Also are you sure that the replacement laser is the same as the one you put in? some people make this mistake.

ys2000
November 30th, 2009, 23:48
hi I have a d2e wii. my wii disc drive suddenly stopped spinning. The gears on the side don't spin except the first one. The laser is fine. I think something is jammed because I can hear the motor. can some1 pls help me? I can send hi res pics

cdstrader
December 4th, 2009, 21:52
probably want to replace the motor - there's a few busted Wii's on auctions that you might be able to pull a motor out of

Shrygue
December 4th, 2009, 23:17
.............super old - time for lockdown.