PDA

View Full Version : New air safety rules require console inspection

wraggster
August 7th, 2007, 18:43
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/07/new-air-safety-rules-require-console-inspection/)

Man, going through the airport security process is such a hassle these days. Remove all the metal from your pockets ... take off your shoes ... present your game consoles for inspection. Wait, what was that last one?

Yes, as of Saturday new TSA rules require travelers carrying "full-size electronics," including game consoles, to remove them from carry-on bags for a separate X-ray screening. Portable game systems and other small electronics can stay inside your luggage.

TSA spokesperson Jennifer Peppin told The Seattle Times that consoles were being given the same treatment as laptops and video cameras because "these types of devices can resemble components that could be used in explosives." What, and smaller electronics can't? Peppin also told ShackNews that the consoles would not be subject to explosive swab testing or other security measures besides the separate X-ray screening. So don't worry about the residue from that firecracker tying up your flight plans, we suppose.

ojdon
August 7th, 2007, 19:43
Wait... I have I misread or are they now saying that you can not have a PSP on you? As in, not on the plane but in your suitcase/luggage bag.

Sterist
August 7th, 2007, 19:59
i just got back yesterday (sunday) from a flight and i can confirm this fake or not in effect

they have ALWAYS required that it be sent through the x-ray, as well as any other electronics including cellphones, but no word about inspection

devdj
August 7th, 2007, 21:04
well i think those rules should only apply to certain airports like the us and uk

Ichijoe
August 8th, 2007, 01:26
Before anyone starts to get carried away here, nobody mentioned anything about a "PSP" here.
The News Story ~in question~ is about the further scanning of Carry-On Electrical Devices.
Apart from the Bog-Standard X-Ray Machine (i.e. an explosive's residue scan ~IIRC *See below~)

And the TSA (e.g. Homeland Security), only just now managed to come to this line of thought?!
I don't suppose they'll be looking for those nasty Modchips now will they?!

*On a more solemn note, we've been enduring such controls here in Germany for YEARS!
Ever since the Pan-Am bombing way back in '88!
I can Certainly attest to that much having lugged my old PC-Engine (Turbo-Duo), System back and fourth back in the day.

So yes I'm veryy happy to here that the USA is finally starting to play catch-up in the field of Air-Safety!!

Sterist
August 8th, 2007, 01:38
thats...mostly the only stuff this site focuses on ;)

John Vattic
August 8th, 2007, 11:28
Anyone else think this is terrifying. The fact that the people we pay to protect us are really just descriminating on intelligent people is unforgivable.

It's not about safety, freedom, or any other ficticous excuse for removal of liberties. It's about protecting the corporate interests.

Good to see now they're x-raying for modchips and therefore overlooking the real dangers in favor of corporate "stabillity".

Random baggage screener, "I was too busy checking individual electronics for inconsistencies to notice the bomb in that government employees lunch bag."

Ichijoe
August 8th, 2007, 11:53
Oh-gee-dear Oh-my, how I sometimes forget how sarcasm fails to fly over the Interweb. :(

Look NOBODY IS SCANING YOUR DEVICES FOR MODCHIPS PEOPLE!

If I understand what was implied in the above story the only thing you will lose is an additional Ten to Fifteen Minutes at the Security Screening Checkpoint as they (presumably the TSA), will Swab your "Devices" and use a Vacuum Machine (It looked like a Carbuffer to me at the time), to "check for explosive residues" on said "Devices".

Although this could be for example a Games Machine, it could just as well be your favorite Camcorder they want to check out.
For the "TSA" to actually know what to test for, you will have probably most like have moved on a bit form those X-Ray Machines by then.
Albeit atleast here in Frankfurt not by much as the "Lab" is just behind the "Checkpoint" for convince.

Like I've said theve been doing this Sh*t here in Germany FOR YEARS NOW!!
Assuming thit is what the TSA are just now getting 'round to implementing, then I say it's about Fecking TIME FOR IT! :mad:

John Vattic
August 8th, 2007, 14:58
Lol.

Still, I'm just sayin' the government employees need to be checked too. After all, they're the ones who blow up buildings and other countries.

You CAN'T stop the government or corporate terrorists.

I'm not worried about backards-arsed religous extremists.

Dull Blade
August 8th, 2007, 16:23
i just got back yesterday (sunday) from a flight and i can confirm this fake or not in effect

they have ALWAYS required that it be sent through the x-ray, as well as any other electronics including cellphones, but no word about inspection

As can I too. Just got back from a trip to the UK, and there was no such inspections taking place. However the shoe thing was true. All this terrorism crap is soo damn annoying now, you cant bring more than 100ml of liquid on the plane, shoes must be inspected amoung other stuff. Its just a damn hastle.

acn010
August 8th, 2007, 17:39
to be honest.....
itsbeen around on U.S being inspected on electronics (in new york)... i had to put my psp and my phone to be scanned... thats all.. funny thing they asked me on what the hell ar the two dots on the psp... i said those are vibraters forgames. XP

Sinnamon
August 9th, 2007, 20:15
what dots on psp?

acn010
August 9th, 2007, 22:51
i modded my psp.... it vibrates, those two dots were the vibrators' there small flat and round... i took them out from 2 samsung phones and put them in my psp with some tweaks i made

R4mbo
August 13th, 2007, 09:17
Haha, the world goes crazy and so, the crazy terrorists have won. LOL. Stupid world.

razorak
August 13th, 2007, 13:51
considering that they managed to etch a fear for them deep inside the minds of people,countries that resort to constant high alertness as a form of prevention, you're quite right.