PDA

View Full Version : The latest Wii system update breaks SD Media Launcher

PeterM
August 8th, 2007, 12:14
Bad news, folks.

I installed the update yesterday and now the SD Media Launcher disc won't boot. Looks like Nintendo are really cracking down, even on legal homebrew.

So whatever you do, if you want homebrew on your Wii via SD Media Launcher, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE!

DIGG THIS NEWS AND STOP PEOPLE UPDATING

http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Wii_System_Update_Breaks_SD_Media_Launcher

UPDATE - PETERM Has released the worlds first port of Quake to the Gamecube and Nintendo Wii, full details Here (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/quake-gamecube-released-quake-ported-to-nintendo-wii-gamecube-70605.html)

-Xandu-
August 8th, 2007, 14:18
There are also some reports on bricked modded Wii systems after the update.

mcdougall57
August 8th, 2007, 15:42
really with which chips ?

acn010
August 8th, 2007, 15:53
oh wow..... that sucks big balls man... i wont update..
hey, does the wii can detect modchips???

mcdougall57
August 8th, 2007, 15:55
i think it depends on whether you have stealth mode on your chip or not and if you run an import right off the bat it goes out of the window so thats why i back up my imports and region patch them first

acn010
August 8th, 2007, 15:58
oh........ it gets so complicated damn

bmemike
August 8th, 2007, 16:09
Well, to Nintendo's credit, they certainly did warn people using hardware mods that craziness may ensue.

PeterM
August 8th, 2007, 16:15
Yeah, but software like SDML?

Auriman1
August 8th, 2007, 17:44
Does the older action replay SDload method still work?

wraggster
August 8th, 2007, 17:48
bastards thats all i can say

ICE
August 8th, 2007, 17:49
yay ninty good for you! i hate piracy and mod chips= no piracy!

micster
August 8th, 2007, 17:58
yay ninty good for you! i hate piracy and mod chips= no piracy!

SD media launcher is not piracy or a modchip. It does not let you run backups [Well, I think] and from what ive read most people with a modchip still has there wii running normally after this update.

So haw.

PeterM
August 8th, 2007, 18:03
I think I read on Eurogamer that Action Replay and Freeloader also fail to boot now.

All Datel products, maybe they will work on a fix?

Wraggy, it may be a good idea to amend the SDML and Action Replay ads so Wii customers don't get burned.

bandit
August 8th, 2007, 18:06
*edit*

nevermind

x999x
August 9th, 2007, 04:17
I've got a WiiKey in my Wii, and I've been using it primarily to play the GC Snes emulator...

Am i safe?

Any other WiiKey users perform the update and survived to tell about it?

DimensionT
August 9th, 2007, 05:17
The only people that've had problems with bricking are the OpenWii users, and even then not all of them have had the problem (taking the chip out while you update hasn't failed)... But roughly the same about of people recieved bricks when they updated to the last firmware. So it's not this firmware specificly that's doing it, but the process of updating (so far).

There haven't been reports of any other mod chips suffering from bricking. So it's just a scare tactic in my view.

I'm personally not updating anyway. Partially in protest (lame), but mainly because of what's been going on with the PSP. No one really knows what's in this firmware. It could possibly add a feature that sends data from your Wii saying that it's modded, the next time you go online... Or make a chainsaw pop out of the back that kills your friends and family, the next time you update your mod chip's firmware. Who can say (other then Nintendo)?

shadowhawk22
August 9th, 2007, 19:20
I agree, people should be waiting to see what this update really does. I highly doubt that the update allows the Wii to detect the mod (or record if you play a foreign game), simply because Nintendo would run into tons of problems if they started to ban people because of this. I doubt they want to lose loyal customers, even if they can take out some pirates in the process. Nintendo is smart. They want to make modding Wii's difficult enough that the normal Joe won't want to worry about it, while not wasting their time trying to fight a losing war.

But yea, if we've learned anything from the PSP it is that updating should be postponed until all information is out.

mr_nick666
August 10th, 2007, 09:05
The "bricking" issues people talk about are the usual mass panic :rolleyes: People dont seem to understand how the modchips work.. Let me indulge you.. The DVD drive on your Wii will first check to see if the DVD is made in a press, or burned in a DVD burner. The current Wii modchips only do one thing, whatever the DVD drive decides (made in a press or burned in a DVD burner) it changes it to think it's made in a press. now different chips do that in different ways some overwrite the decision after the DVD drive has decided, some just decide for the DVD drive, but the main fact is, only the DVD drive is being messed with, not the motherboard or the main firmware (otherwise we'd have Wii homebrew) So it is literally IMPOSSIBLE for Nintendo to detect a modchip. ;)

BlueCrab
August 10th, 2007, 16:21
So it is literally IMPOSSIBLE for Nintendo to detect a modchip. ;)

They could however circumvent the problem by changing the way the drive's firmware returns that data. ;)

In my opinion, hats off to Nintendo for doing something to stop piracy. I'd like to see the Wii succeed, and sadly piracy has already started running rampant on it, due to the "modchips" that exist (they aren't modchips, they're actually drivechips, but that's not for this topic). Piracy spells doom for a console, it always has and always will.

While I don't particularly like the fact that they disabled the Gamecube Action Replay/Freeloader with this update, I can see why they might want to do so. My guess is that there is some way to put the Wii back into Wii mode after booting a Gamecube disc, and Nintendo has one obvious motive for stopping this: If that were to happen, the pirates would have yet another route to boot pirated games on the console.

As I said before, hats off to Nintendo for doing SOMETHING to stop piracy. Long live the Wii.

And just to clarify, I want homebrew on the Wii just as much as any other guy, but if it comes at the cost of piracy becoming prevalent, I'd rather not see it until the Wii has run its lifespan out.

sappo
August 10th, 2007, 17:02
Bad news, folks.

I installed the update yesterday and now the SD Media Launcher disc won't boot. Looks like Nintendo are really cracking down, even on legal homebrew.

So whatever you do, if you want homebrew on your Wii via SD Media Launcher, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE!

Dude, don't freak out. Use GCOS and all it's well.

Gunnex
August 10th, 2007, 20:28
I think I read on Eurogamer that Action Replay and Freeloader also fail to boot now.

All Datel products, maybe they will work on a fix?

Wraggy, it may be a good idea to amend the SDML and Action Replay ads so Wii customers don't get burned.

It be true, no AR for me.

PS: Is GCOS a modchip or what? Is it refferring to running the GC BIOS on their own?

chrisr321
August 11th, 2007, 00:22
i updated my wii a while ago before i knew that it was going to effect the way sdml workd
but somehow 75% of the time it still boots up
i was like wut the hell...???????????????????????????????
yeaaaaaa!!!
haha

xplosideas
August 15th, 2007, 13:49
I have SDML too and the disc won't work anymore. Can sum1 tell me how to use GCOS ? i downloaded it before tehskeen died but i don't know how to use it... and i have a game of Chrono Trigger to finish !!!

calendor1
August 16th, 2007, 00:51
Anybody else experiencing the same issue of "unable to boot the disc that comes with SDML" after this week's update?

Man
August 16th, 2007, 01:19
Everyone that is b***hing about piracy on the wii, your hypocrites, just because theres people using modchips to play burned games, doesnt mean the system will fail, lets just say that computer companies made it so that you couldnt play your downloaded mp3s, then youd be singing a different tune, so to speak, mp3s and movies have been out on the internet to download for years, yet, steven speilberg still owns a multi million dollar mansion, and briteny spears can get away with whatever she wants, why you ask, because she still makes money, Nintendo, will still make money, the wii will not fail, so STFU about god dam piracy! its not like every single wii owner has a modchip and downloads games, i dont see anyway the wii can fail at the rate its going, i still buy games, and i could just as easily rent and burn them, but i dont! but im still not updating my system.

CalcProgrammer1
August 21st, 2007, 22:01
I hate Nintendo for this. Why can't they support homebrew, if they do, they'll keep homebrew hackers from finding out ways into the console, and pirates always just take the things the homebrewers make and use them for piracy. I hate piracy, and it can do serious damage to the industry, but homebrew is something that all consoles should do, after all, we paid for the hardware, we should be able to do what we feel like with it. Datel needs to press a loader DVD for Wii, compatible with current FW, that can load from the SD card, that way we can mod the firmware to allow SD and AR to work again.

Ah well, I'm still going to buy a GCAR and SDML just so I can use them on my Cube, even if they don't work on the Wii, maybe they will after some hacking takes place.