PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim: Not that slim

Shrygue
August 9th, 2007, 20:35
Famitsu and CVG give us the lowdown on the shape and size of the New PSP Slim, heres the vedict from them.

via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=169783)

Those worshipped writers at Japanese Famitsu magazine have got their hands on one of Sony's new slim PSP's, and the resulting comparison shots haven't left us very impressed.

Alright, so the longer battery life and the excellent ability to display your games on the telly might be worth the purchase, but it's hardly 'slim', is it? Is it just us or have they just shaved the plastic grips off the back? That's worth at least a few millimetres, we suppose.

According to recent reports the redesigned handheld, which we're now referring to as 'PSP Works-On-Your-Telly', will be out in September for 169 euros (about 113 quid).

Digg This News

http://digg.com/gaming_news/PSP_Slim_Not_that_slim

http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_183622.jpg

http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_183621.jpg

Comparison images here (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=183622)

Uberman
August 9th, 2007, 20:43
****!!! I hate sites that change my browser window size without my permission. How about a warning next time? :mad:

As for the "new" PSP, they had to change something to justify the new SKU. They couldn't just say "Here's a new PSP that prevents homebrew. Buy it!". :rolleyes:

jurkevicz
August 9th, 2007, 20:54
I'm not getting it no mattar how "slim" it is... I'll wait for a 3.60 M33 with all the features and homebrew.

PLZKLLME0080
August 9th, 2007, 20:58
****!!! I hate sites that change my browser window size without my permission. How about a warning next time? :mad:

same here :mad:

they should call it a PSP Shaved instead of Slim.

Ultima Chocochu
August 9th, 2007, 21:00
Piano Black?
Kinda lame name for a color
The "slim" PSP is nice and all, but some differences I just don't like compared to the original

Hugest turn off is the lame battery power >.<
BUT OTHERWISE
I want one.

F9zDark
August 9th, 2007, 21:03
I said this day one when Sony announced it at E3 and people had the actual dimensions, all in all its only a few millimeters smaller than the standard PSP (I don't think the difference measures anymore than 20 mm smaller).

TV out is nice though, but since UMD movies died and Sony seems to refuse to allow people to burn UMDs, thus making Sony much bigger profits and keeping UMD around, if not permanently...

Really, MP3s are nice, but I'd much rather keep a few games and some MapThis! maps on my memstick and have UMD music mixes than have to forgo the use MapThis!.

drock82
August 9th, 2007, 21:04
the only thing that they did was slim down the battery location and the memory stick location,i dont really see this worth buying,and the feature to watch stuff from your psp to tv have already been out by third part developers-cmon sony catch up.now if they was going to introduce a new psp with more powerful specs and a ps2 emulator then ill definitely get it:rolleyes:

Accordion
August 9th, 2007, 21:06
even more stupidity.

this is not a new psp as such, it will be the only PSP from release.

Sony creates a console revision which doesnt leave the previous user base out in the cold, and still there are complaints. people are actually complaining that they will not need to spend more money and be left with useless hardware. makes sense.

acn010
August 9th, 2007, 21:14
ill still buy it
yet the turn off is that the psp with the tv thing wont work in the us... sucks bi balls X[

Buddy4point0
August 9th, 2007, 21:19
wow. mabey i wont be buying this psp slim. :( what was sony thinking making such a terrible remake. but it is alot lighter. but doesnt have ir. man whatever who am i kidding of coarse ill get this this man this shit is tight. im getting the final fantasy one, my friend nick moved to okanowa japan a few months ago and i asked him and he gonna get it for me and im paying him $250. cant wait man

steve520
August 9th, 2007, 21:35
Im gonna get one anyways because i need a new psp so might as well get a slim.

xg917
August 9th, 2007, 21:42
ill still buy it
yet the turn off is that the psp with the tv thing wont work in the us... sucks bi balls X[

TV OUT DOESNT WORK ON U.S.A TVS!!!??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WTF iS THE POINT OF GETTING A PSP SLIM IF U LIVE IN THE US THEN!

mikebeaver
August 9th, 2007, 22:09
TV OUT DOESNT WORK ON U.S.A TVS!!!??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WTF iS THE POINT OF GETTING A PSP SLIM IF U LIVE IN THE US THEN!

I think you will find he means the TV Tuner, so that you can get TV on PSP not the other way around.
It is being released in Japan around the same time as the "PSP with TV out"(oh sorry I meant "Slim" Lol) but there is no confirmation of a European or American release date so far.

xg917
August 9th, 2007, 22:16
lol i get u, i got mixed up then cuz i dont care about the portable tv tuner thing. but wtf i got an infraction for typing capital letters.

shadowprophet
August 9th, 2007, 22:43
If someone has a prefectly good original psp, Why would they go back out and buy a psp slim.
cause the little rounded edges are gone from the back now?
Is anyone interested in some swamp land in florida :rofl:

I know its the fashionable thing, To have the newest version of everything..
But seriously, This is the weakest redesign of "anything". I've ever seen....

acn010
August 9th, 2007, 22:52
shadowprophet, where were you man???? i missed you -.- *sniff*

-Xandu-
August 9th, 2007, 22:57
That's what I thought when I first saw it. There aren't any major differences between the two.

F9zDark
August 9th, 2007, 23:14
If someone has a prefectly good original psp, Why would they go back out and buy a psp slim.
cause the little rounded edges are gone from the back now?
Is anyone interested in some swamp land in florida :rofl:

I know its the fashionable thing, To have the newest version of everything..
But seriously, This is the weakest redesign of "anything". I've ever seen....

They couldn't even throw in another analog. Like I said when PSP slim was first announced, even if the second analog wasn't independent (ie it works the same as the left one, but is simply there for ease of play for righties or lefties) that'd be fine. But no. Sony had to further gimp the PSP's FPS potential.

If it had another analog I'd buy it for 2 reasons,

1) My current PSP wouldn't have to serve as both the homebrew and official game player (which is a good reason since DAX left the scene and I haven't the will to upgrade to M33's firmwares just yet)

2)My new PSP could be for official Sony crap. Updates to Remote Play, better media functionality, etc.

xg917
August 9th, 2007, 23:24
if the psp slim gets around for homebrew then i would definately buy it.

tophead420
August 9th, 2007, 23:38
I'm not getting it no mattar how "slim" it is... I'll wait for a 3.60 M33 with all the features and homebrew.

Lol you can wait for that but it still won't have the features the PSP Slim has. PSP Slim has some exclusive only features first gen psps won't have. SO no matter how long you wait for it, it still won't be the same.

mike_jmg
August 9th, 2007, 23:59
meh...
you convinced me, I'm sticking to my beloved fatty psp
Cause is not that much slim

I'll only buy it if it gets Homebrew enabled, and if I have enough spare money. any other way i wont get it

doverkiller
August 10th, 2007, 00:03
if you have a look, they made the photo of the old PSP in an angle, to make it look thicker..
nice marketing trick.. :P

ALTIMITHacker
August 10th, 2007, 00:06
I thought that the PSP Slim had twice the RAM as the original PSP. If that were true, then when(if) homebrew was enabled on the PSP slim, it could be more useful. Though, I could be recalling some rumor than was unconfirmed.

xg917
August 10th, 2007, 00:19
its true

fattt psp = 32mb RAM
slim psp = 64mb RAM

really useful once homebrew makes the breakthrough..

ab88
August 10th, 2007, 00:23
if you have a look, they made the photo of the old PSP in an angle, to make it look thicker..
nice marketing trick.. :P

I noticed that too :mad:
Real image of how it should have looked.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j297/lopezab88/slim-comparison.png
Of course the necessary slim over phat. Green being the newer model.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j297/lopezab88/slim-over-phat.png

whitey75
August 10th, 2007, 00:33
I could be wrong, but they haven't increased the ram at all....wasn't it just the flash memory?

Why didn't they fix up the dodgy digital pad in the redesign? Seems they could have easily done that by just making it one solid piece, or at a minimum moving the 4 pieces closer together!

shadowprophet
August 10th, 2007, 00:34
shadowprophet, where were you man???? i missed you -.- *sniff*

ehh, Ive been about bro.
Just in the shadows :cool:

xg917
August 10th, 2007, 00:38
I could be wrong, but they haven't increased the ram at all....wasn't it just the flash memory?

Why didn't they fix up the dodgy digital pad in the redesign? Seems they could have easily done that by just making it one solid piece, or at a minimum moving the 4 pieces closer together!

flash memory is still 32mb

its true

fattt psp = 32mb RAM
slim psp = 64mb RAM

really useful once homebrew makes the breakthrough..

i hope they fixed the retarded square button..

Video_freak
August 10th, 2007, 00:59
I agree with the people that say they are thankful that Sony isn't ditching all of the old PSP users.

Also, the DS Lite isn't THAT much slimmer than the original, yet no DS fanboys complained.

Are people who own PSPs just more used to complaining? What has the world come too.... XD

ish420ism
August 10th, 2007, 01:10
Blah Blah complain this, Blah Blah complain that. Take that cock out of your ass
If you want a second analogue. Go to Acidmods, order the stuff yourself and do it yourself. If you're too lazy to do that, then do what the sig says. PLEASE DO IT.

P.S. If you hate sony that much, I'd be happy to take all their products you own, off your hands. Anytime

shadowprophet
August 10th, 2007, 01:39
What makes the ds lite kick so much ass over its predecessor are its superior screens.
I havent been keeping up like i should, But is this new psp supposed to have a much better screen?

ish420ism
August 10th, 2007, 01:52
What makes the ds lite kick so much ass over its predecessor are its superior screens.
I havent been keeping up like i should, But is this new psp supposed to have a much better screen?

No. Same Screen. I wonder if it's the same screen as the creative player. It's the same size and rez.
What's up Shadow. Blaze it

acn010
August 10th, 2007, 01:58
ehh, Ive been about bro.
Just in the shadows :cool:

as alwas :rofl:
nice to see you back:D at least for a moment

Video_freak
August 10th, 2007, 02:17
No. Same Screen. I wonder if it's the same screen as the creative player. It's the same size and rez.
What's up Shadow. Blaze it

I'm pretty sure Creative orders their screens from a different manufacturer for their Zen Vision W. I could open it up and check one day. Sounds like a fun way to kill it. :rolleyes:

maxipower90
August 10th, 2007, 03:38
this is an abomination to mankind

Broadus
August 10th, 2007, 04:08
That's like the same damn thing! They didn't even add a second analog stick to act as the second joystick in FPSs that require the use of the face buttons to look around.
It'll probably be super-homebrew-proof, too.

xg917
August 10th, 2007, 04:12
my hand sucks.. even if they added a 2nd analog i wouldnt be able to use it. my thumb doesnt want to bend when i have my index on the R trigger.

F9zDark
August 10th, 2007, 04:58
Blah Blah complain this, Blah Blah complain that. Take that cock out of your ass
If you want a second analogue. Go to Acidmods, order the stuff yourself and do it yourself. If you're too lazy to do that, then do what the sig says. PLEASE DO IT.

P.S. If you hate sony that much, I'd be happy to take all their products you own, off your hands. Anytime

Why should I have to mod my PSP to have another analog stick when Sony should have designed it properly from the ****ing get go?

Why on earth would they put the 2 most commonly used controls (D-Pad and Analog) for movement or aiming ON THE SAME ****ING SIDE?

Why alienate an entire genre of games because of their apparent engineering oversight?

I never said I hated Sony you dumb f|_|cking noob, and if you have to resort to flaming because people don't agree with your ass pal Sony, then you have a serious problem with half the people on these forums.

And just when I was starting to think that 360 and Wii fantards were bad...

mnuhaily22
August 10th, 2007, 05:13
Why should I have to mod my PSP to have another analog stick when Sony should have designed it properly from the ****ing get go?

Why on earth would they put the 2 most commonly used controls (D-Pad and Analog) for movement or aiming ON THE SAME ****ING SIDE?

Why alienate an entire genre of games because of their apparent engineering oversight?

I never said I hated Sony you dumb f|_|cking noob, and if you have to resort to flaming because people don't agree with your ass pal Sony, then you have a serious problem with half the people on these forums.

Score 1-0
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1992/stfunoobox8.th.jpg (http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stfunoobox8.jpg)

ALTIMITHacker
August 10th, 2007, 05:30
This does seem lighter and it is a -little- slimmer, which is good. But by looking at the fact it has twice the RAM, I think any good homebrew user could find it useful. Why complain about how much slimmer it is when it has higher specs? Think of some improved homebrew we might get. Just giving out some Food For Thought.

xg917
August 10th, 2007, 05:38
agreed ^_^

ALTIMITHacker
August 10th, 2007, 07:08
I really would like to have a TV Tuner but no, We (U.S.A) dont bother broadcasting television through the air. Japan is always ahead of us by like 10x. Everyone in Japan is walking around with TV on all their portable devices, Cell Phones included.:mad:

We have DVB-T which can use Freeview, and thats nice and all, but the PSP doesnt have a tuner for that. I would like to see somebody find a way to make a DVB-T receiver work on a PSP, that would be sweet. Because honestly, TV on a psp would be really nice, I dont like locationfree player because being by a hotspot is such a hassle. And the price for DVB-T portable devices is around $300, why not just find a way to get it working on a PSP, the tuners cost $20. And yes, some of them will actually connect to a PSP USB Port, its just a matter of getting it running.

Video_freak
August 10th, 2007, 08:25
my hand sucks.. even if they added a 2nd analog i wouldnt be able to use it. my thumb doesnt want to bend when i have my index on the R trigger.

Sorry to be off topic, but does that mean that you can't beat it? lol

I would like to see somebody find a way to make a DVB-T receiver work on a PSP, that would be sweet.

It's not a matter of not being able ot recieve it on USA PSPs, it's just we don't broadcast it over here...

So in theory you'd have to buy big ass antennas to put all over the country if you really wanted that. :rolleyes:

kjetil1991
August 10th, 2007, 08:30
psp slim is stupid i dident want to be smaller and of course with homebrew

ALTIMITHacker
August 10th, 2007, 10:04
Sorry to be off topic, but does that mean that you can't beat it? lol

It's not a matter of not being able ot recieve it on USA PSPs, it's just we don't broadcast it over here...

So in theory you'd have to buy big ass antennas to put all over the country if you really wanted that. :rolleyes:

...Do you know what DVB-T transmissions are? I specifically said those because WE DO have them here in this country, like I said, its Freeview. We have many gadgets that use it , its just, we dont have one for the PSP. You gotta Google before refusing what I say, lol.

Welshboy
August 10th, 2007, 10:12
This is a joke. I'll say no more.

DragonPimpsta
August 10th, 2007, 18:03
that picture is misleading, they were both actual size, the the camera view is at a diff angle on each one... STILLL THO thats not very slim, with the illusion behind u..... The color looks the same too. i like the name piano black tho

Veskgar
August 10th, 2007, 19:40
To be honest, I'm still not sure I like the look of it. At least not the black. I don't really like how the speakers are moved to the top, shaving off the slight bulge on the back may make it awkward to play for long periods on end, and it sort of looks like a cheap toy.

Now I know pictures on the internet are not the best way to view it. I'll have to see and hold one in person before my mind is totally mad up.

And the TV out thing I doubt many people will use for that long. The cable would have to be VERY long as I don't want to be right in front of my TV to try and play PSP. It just takes away from the wireless, handheld appeal.

I'll probably get a silver one just to have one.

wind_mill
August 10th, 2007, 21:07
Hmm... Theres very little "redesigning" going on in my opinion.....

Also No IR port? i hope thats not true ..... Only because im not sure if sony would concentrate implementing ir features on the old psp if the new psp does not have an ir port? (unless they make two seperate FW updates, Or just a message on the new psp saying "only works on older models of psp" or sumthing)

As far as the ram goes, Isnt it just for improving loading times by dumping umd data onto it temporarily? Could this be used for homebrew when the newer psp's firmware is eventually cracked?

The psp slim looks almost exactly the same! Other than the whole slimmer thing i.e........

cawley1
August 10th, 2007, 21:47
Blimey, lots of moaning in here, and it looks like I can halp put a few things straight.

From numerous sources, the D-Pad has been much improved and the feel of it is far superior, I think they have also done a better job on the buttons, too (apparently it is like a PS3 pad!).

The colour on the 'Piano Black' one is not matt like our old PSP Phats, it is a glossy, shiny finish (nicked straight from the black DS Lite) although how easy it is to hold with the raised back grips removed is another matter.

The increase in memory will load UMD games faster, another added bonus over the current machine.

TV out looks awesome, I thought it would be in a small-ish box centre of the screen, but the widescreen pic I saw is fullscreen at 16:9 with no blockyness! This is nothing like the crappy TV-out adapters that appeared back in 2005! You need Component to play games, Composite is only for UMD films.

I bet it will be hacked for homebrew within weeks, it is only a new FW after all, I can't see how it can be that difficult.

While I would have liked to see a better case re-design (clamshell, better analogue stick) my non-homebrew white PSP sold on eBay last week for £116 (with Lumines!), and the money is in the bank waiting for this - TV out for me is a good enough reason :-)

sourced
August 11th, 2007, 03:44
i dowanna be mean but. DUH, anyone whose seen both couldve told that it aint that slim :O

Shadowblind
August 11th, 2007, 04:04
Geez....Sony stealing yet another invention from Nintendo:

The fun-sized handheld downgrade.

xg917
August 11th, 2007, 04:57
not really. they were the first to start slim sized consoles i think. well.. i remember the sega genesis was a console then made into a handheld named the sega nomad, then next slimed up console i remember was the ps1 which was kinda bulky then made really thin, as well as the ps2 which ended up being the same size as the slimmed ps1 which is pretty cool. then nintendo started doing this with the gameboy (big gameboy, then pocket, then color, then advance, then SP, and now micro) then the DS came out then the DS lite, now the psp moves on to the slim edition with more colors that actually come to america. i dont really care who is copying who. as long as its nice and even more portably advanced its great! :)

-XG

Joe88
August 11th, 2007, 08:14
Geez....Sony stealing yet another invention from Nintendo:

The fun-sized handheld downgrade.

they did it before with the PS1 (PSOne slim) and PS2 (PSTwo slim)

:p

Abobora
August 11th, 2007, 11:48
the slim PSP has double the RAM, wich if it were to be homebrew enabled, would come in quite handy.

Avenyet
August 11th, 2007, 22:50
Its not slim and it not that much lighter but it an improvement which should have been done a long time ago i can see they have finally sorted the problem with the disc drive it looks like like the ps2 silm design and is probably stronger than the current one.

and did anyone else notice that the so called improved battery life battery is actually weaker... or were the images backwards or have i just got confused if its improved then why not stick a more powerful one in there instead of a weaker one?...

and i hope they improved the nub (doesn't look like it) looks like they improved the other buttons though like the D pad... oh well just have to wait an see what the real reviews bring might be worth trading in my current one with a game or 2 (and pay the excess) and get this just for the small improvements.

its just like sony to try and shrink something for quick sales the PSone didn't because it was the same the PS2 slim worked because A it as tiny and B it came with the network adapter oh and almost silent. with this it a PSP with the wrinkles ironed out not much else.

sangwria
August 12th, 2007, 15:55
seems the umd reader still doesn't close correctly roflmaofloodlol:rolleyes:

DrNicket
August 12th, 2007, 21:10
Blimey, lots of moaning in here, and it looks like I can halp put a few things straight.

From numerous sources, the D-Pad has been much improved and the feel of it is far superior, I think they have also done a better job on the buttons, too (apparently it is like a PS3 pad!).

The D-Pad looks like it sticks way out compared to the original (even accounting for the slight tilt). This may improve feel and thumb pain by giving more range of motion (or not).
EDIT: They also look more flat/level and slightly further apart. The original D-Pad slopes inward to the centre. I rather like it that way. The thumb rests in it nicely.

The colour on the 'Piano Black' one is not matt like our old PSP Phats, it is a glossy, shiny finish (nicked straight from the black DS Lite) although how easy it is to hold with the raised back grips removed is another matter.

The original PSP does not have a matte finish. It is shiny/glossy. Did I not hear that the 'slim' has the matte finish?
EDIT: Actually they both look glossy to me. Not necessarily the same though.

TV out looks awesome, I thought it would be in a small-ish box centre of the screen, but the widescreen pic I saw is fullscreen at 16:9 with no blockyness! This is nothing like the crappy TV-out adapters that appeared back in 2005! You need Component to play games, Composite is only for UMD films.

Considering that the PSP has better resolution than oldschool TVs you're pretty much guaranteed to put out a better image than an old TV can display... just like when DVDs first came out.

While I would have liked to see a better case re-design (clamshell, better analogue stick)

I have rather large hands, and while remaining deft, the smaller handhelds (especially the old game boy) are very uncomfortable to play. I'm hoping that by shaving off the rear contours does not contribute to handling fatigue.

Despite it's apparent lack of official use, I disagree with the removal of the iR port. As soon as you remove a hardware feature, you begin to alienate the original owner base. Remember when the PS2 Slim came out and SquareSoft got pissed off with regard to no HDD for FFXI? Did Sony not learn from this mistake? Granted, it's only an iR port, but if they're seriously interested in Homebrew, WTH did they get rid of it? Bye-bye iRShell??
EDIT: Also with the doubled memory, will developers make use of it for more than just UMD caching/load times? If any new features are exploited by game makers, it will anger original owners as they may not will not be able to experience it fully or play it at all.

Also, I don't like the UMD switch being moved to the left without being reversed. It's generally easier to pull a switch at that angle than to push it. This will possibly strain the fingers of time.

Moving the audio holes up may or may not be a good thing. I think it may be good as I often have to hold the PSP in such a way as to cup those bottom holes to deflect the sound to my ears. Granted I get kickin' bass that way. With the new position there is a high risk of blockage by the player's fingers... not smart IMHO.
EDIT: I was mistaking the upper holes as the same as those on the bottom of the current unit. Duh. I think the original position is less likely to be thumb blocked than that of the new position.

The L & R buttons look thinner also.

What are the new top holes between the mount points and the USB power points?

I'm glad they've done away with the top stippling. Dust, dirt and dandruff always gets in mine.

The new face/screen looks recessed. Hmm. Might be okay, but I prefer the flush style.

The LEDs (WiFi, MS, Power) are recessed/open also. Eew! More places for grime to get stuck! Not smart!

What does the bottom look like? Re: Power/audio/remote ports. Are they compatible with the existing headset remote, 3rd party docks, etc?
EDIT: Not sure I like the new position of the Headphone ports. It's seems less supported. WHERE's the bottom audio ports???

Back to you...

EDIT: Addendum -

I'm concerned for the new memory stick compartment. more prominence makes it more vulnerable to damage/removal.

The UMD tray opens way too far in my opinion. Again, more susceptible to damage.

Hopefully the new battery cover works out better than mine (sometimes too hard or too easy to remove depending on whether I'm using the 1800mAH or the 2200mAH battery.

ish420ism
August 13th, 2007, 13:39

I wasn't talking to you. but if the shoe fits...and also I see your following my post on other threads, get a fukn life guy. The fact that you got heated over this is funny to me. You calling me a noob. Hah.
Only stupid fuks call someone a noob. A noob. Your a funny guy:rofl: