PDA

View Full Version : Review: 55-in-1 Bluetooth Card Reader + Hub

bandit
August 10th, 2007, 01:06
55-in-1 Bluetooth Card Reader + Hub
Manufacturer: DTECH
Site: Buy from Brando (http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00280)
Price: $29.00

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_img/thumb/UCARD003000_01_M.jpg (http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_img/zoom/UCARD003000_01_L.jpg) http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_img/thumb/UCARD003000_04_M.jpg (http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_img/zoom/UCARD003000_04_L.jpg)

Overview : It is not only a common card reader, but also a Bluetooth dongle and USB 2.0 hub at the same time. You can interact with Bluetooth devices by its Bluetooth function and its 7 memory card slots which can read and write different memory cards. You can connect any other USB devices with the 2-port hub. You may wonder there are obviously built-in 3 ports in the hub, how come call it 2-port hub? Actually, there are 2 ports for connecting devices with the computer for data transfer, the remaining port provides power for devices. It is good for connecting USB lamps, USB fans, USB Ionizers, etc.

Features :

55 in 1 Card Reader/Writer
Bluetooth dongle
USB 2.0 Hub
2 ports for data transfer
1 port for providing power
USB 2.0 transfer rate up to 480 Mbps, backward compatible with USB 1.1 transfer rate up to 12 Mbps
Multi moody colours indicate power ON
Plug and play, hot swapping
Low power consumption
Convert Non-Bluetooth PC into Bluetooth enabled
Wireless connect to Bluetooth devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, etc. for data transfer
Enable wireless connection to Bluetooth headset
Bluetooth specification V1.6 compliant
Interface: USB compliance
Operation temperature: 0 degree ~ 70 degree
Receiving/Sending range: 20m
Support Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP
Size: 70x85x17mm
Weight: 73g

Supported Memory Cards :

CF I
CF II
CF I WA
CF I ELITE PRO
CF PRO
CF PRO II
CF Ultra II
HS CF
CF Extreme
CF Extreme III
CF Extreme IV
IBM MD
Hitachi MD
MAGICSTOR
MS
MS MG
MS PRO
MS PRO EXTREME
MS PRO MG
MS DUO
MS DUO MG
MS PRO DUO
MS PRO DUO ULTRA
MS PRO DUO MG
MS PRO ULTRA II
MS ROM
MS MEMORY SELECT FUNCTION
MS DUO HS
MS PRO EXTREME III
MS PRO HS
MS PRO DUO MG HS
M2
XD
XD H Type
XD M TYPE
SD
SD PRO
SD ELITE PRO
SD ULTRA
SD ULTRA II
SD EXTREME
SD EXTEREME III
SD HS 150X
SDHC 2.0
MINI SD
T-Flash
Micro SD
MMC
MMC 4.0
HS MMC
RS MMC
RS MMC 4.0
HS RS A15MMC
MMC MOBILE
MMC PLUS 200X

Package Contents :

55 in 1 Bluetooth Card Reader + Hub
USB Cable
Driver CD

Quality/Usability : After reviewing the Brando 55-in-1 Card Reader/Writer (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-brando-55-in-1-card-reader-writer-50683.html), we were impressed by the quality as well as how well the device worked. But thought we wanted to review how well this new 55-in-1 card reader/writer is. Not to mention, it is also a USB 2.0 hub and a Bluetooth dongle.

Whats great about the 55-in-1 is that not only does it eliminate all those devices, adapters and cables but its works with any Windows and MAC operating systems. Not to mention, NO drivers needed (except for bluetooth)! The reader/writer is powered by your USB port with no additional power supply and uses USB 2.0. It is also backwards compatible with USB 1.1. When the reader is plugged in, I noticed that under MY COMPUTERS, there were three REMOVABLE DRIVES. When you insert a storage card, a green LED is lit up to let you know it is in use.

I tried various cards from a 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive, to a 256MB SD card, to a 1GB Memory Stick/Pro Duo cards and even the new smaller micro cards, microSD and Sony's M2. All work without any problems and all showed up perfectly and without any adapters! I no longer have to mess with cables or adapters in order to transfer data.

Normally, I connect my digital camera to my computer via USB cable. I tried my 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive with the card reader. The 55 in 1 had no problem reading it. Transferring pictures was just as easy and fast. It only took less than a minute to transfer my pictures to my computer. Mind you, these pictures were taken at 10.1MP and the files size are huge.

So I decided to try my 1GB that I use for my Nintendo Wii. Transferring VGA quality images were fast as well. It didnt take long before it was finished. Usually I would use the MobileMate SD+ adapter to transfer files. Transferring files to the Memory Stick and Pro Duo were the same. With the Pro Duo cards, I no longer had to use the adapter in order for me to transfer data. I just slipped it in and the reader had no problem recognizing the card.

My next test was my microSD and M2 that I used for my cellphones. The two newest memory cards to hit the market for the latest devices. I transferred not only pictures but also music. Transferring data was flawless and no adapter was needed at all unlike my other readers.

No matter what sized storage card I threw at the 55-in-1, it had no problem recognizing the card. You must say to yourself, there are other card readers out there that does the same. Yes, you're right BUT they are usually limited to how big in size it will read your card. My Toshiba laptop has a card reader built-in. Reading small sized memory cards up to 2GB memory cards were not a problem. But when I inserted my 4GB Pro Duo, it didnt read it at all.

Before getting the 55-in-1, I had contacted companies regarding the limitations of how big the storage card it will read and all said 1GB to 2GB at most. That would do me no good since I have 4GB storage cards.

There are three USB ports on the side. Two are used as hubs while the other is used to power a USB device.

Not only is the 55-in-1 a card reader and a USB hub, it also acted as a bluetooth dongle. Pairing bluetooth devices to the card reader was not a problem. My Sony Ericsson w810i did not have a problem finding the reader and neither did the card reader have problems pairing with the phone. Transfer of files were easy and quick.

Conclusion : Overall, the 55-in-1 Bluetooth Card Reader + Hub is a great all-in-one device. Not only is it compatible with the latest operating systems but it accepts 55 different memory cards. It eliminates the use of USB cables for your devices and adapters. You can also transfer files via bluetooth if you have a bluetooth device. When connecting the card reader to a USB port, make sure it is directly to the computer as connecting it to a USB hub would not supply enough power to the card reader.

Images via comments

ninja9393
August 10th, 2007, 02:08
that is pretty cheap for what it is

might get one of those

thanks bandit!

ICE
August 10th, 2007, 03:35
yeah $30 is crazy.

VampDude
September 3rd, 2007, 01:59
That's a cool device, I actually have a Bluetooth dongle and a multi-card reader as 2 separate attachments on my PC... This would free up a much needed USB socket rather than using 2 for both devices! :p