PDA

View Full Version : Sony PlayStation Portable: 333MHz comes with restrictions

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 10th, 2007, 19:09
A website is claiming that the new 333MHz clock mode on the PSP is only available when WiFi is disabled, so therefore during network play the CPU clock is limited to a lowly 222MHz. They claim that this has some slightly worrying consequences for games developers.

quote:

With the release of the Firmware 3.5 a new clock control function was added and now the technical requirements checklist allows software to run at the full 333MHz clock with the bus clock also reaching its maximum frequency of 166MHz. However, as Beyond3D is able to confirm, the full clock is only available with WiFi being disabled, i.e. during network play the CPU clock is limited to 222MHz.

This has in fact some consequences for PSP game development. Game titles with network play could effectively be either limited to using 222MHz only during single player mode, or to using a downgraded engine and assets for multiplayer mode, which could complicate the development process. Meanwhile single player-only titles like God of War can take full advantage of the speed boost.

News Source: Beyond3d.com

Buddy4point0
August 10th, 2007, 19:16
thats dumb. homebrew users have been able to use 333 with wifi for a while. gay sony

xg917
August 10th, 2007, 19:18
hmm. i did notice that when using PSPTUBE my psp wouldnt charge but it does charge when i play socom online or medal of honor. weird... im sure M33 would hack this as its been hacked before.

Safari Al
August 10th, 2007, 19:24
That's Sony for ya

Triv1um
August 10th, 2007, 19:33
So what if network play is 222? I guess it makes it fair.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 10th, 2007, 19:40
Trouble is with wifi enabled the wifi chip runs very hot when the unit is overclocked..

yoshinatsu
August 10th, 2007, 19:52
Duh... Homebrew anyone? >_>

blackrave
August 10th, 2007, 19:54
Not hot enough for it to be dangerous, unless you're playing out in the sun or at another very hot place. Besides, it's not overclocking as the PSP's CPU is designed to be able to run fine at 333 Mhz. xg917, it is already hacked. It won't change in a new firmware or anything. This article just says that from firmware 3.50, the full CPU capacity can be used by developers for their games.

While it's a great thing that developers can finally take full advantage of the power, giving us better-looking and faster games, it's very stupid of Sony to limit network play to 222 Mhz. And it's probably just because the battery time is lowered even more when using WiFi at 333 Mhz.

acn010
August 10th, 2007, 19:56
this is just plain retarded, F.U sony!!!!

Accordion
August 10th, 2007, 20:42
because all previous multiplayer games are awful?

acn010
August 10th, 2007, 20:46
i dont know but it is just a useless thing for me... and a waste of internal memory too

blackrave
August 10th, 2007, 20:50
because all previous multiplayer games are awful?

That's a lie. There are many good multiplayer games, such as Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Socom 1, Socom 2, Need For Speed games, and more.

i dont know but it is just a useless thing for me... and a waste of internal memory too

What are you talking about?

Accordion
August 10th, 2007, 21:00
That's a lie. There are many good multiplayer games, such as Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Socom 1, Socom 2, Need For Speed games, and more.

that was my point.

IM back!
August 10th, 2007, 21:20
its just normal sony stupidity

blackrave
August 10th, 2007, 21:21
that was my point.

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

acn010
August 10th, 2007, 21:34
its just normal sony stupidity

of course:rofl:

Accordion
August 10th, 2007, 21:43
no problem.

we have games as impressive as Metal Gear, Ratchet, Daxter, Brave Story, Monster Hunter, wipeout,etc etc

why complain?

Sonicboy 101
August 10th, 2007, 21:51
No loss to me I suppose, I don't play online anyway

DarthPaul
August 10th, 2007, 21:51
Wow what a shame.

acn010
August 10th, 2007, 21:59
what can be an excuse for such function???

xg917
August 10th, 2007, 22:06
xg917, it is already hacked. It won't change in a new firmware or anything. This article just says that from firmware 3.50, the full CPU capacity can be used by developers for their games.

when i ran PSPTUBE i was not able to charge my psp. but when i play games like socom and medal of honor online play it is able to charge. psptube is running on 3.5X kernel for me in the GAME35X folder and i think the problem is that sony implemented that thing.

or wait im not even talking about clock speed. im going to look into that asap..

Gizmo356
August 10th, 2007, 23:36
Typical sony to give it only half the effort like always.

logicbomb.de
August 10th, 2007, 23:42
Hey guys, this may sound contradictory to this news item, but I was playing an adhoc wifi match of Burnout Dominator with BOTH psps set to 333mhz, and the game ran at 1.5x faster than the "normal" speed.

I'm talking cars going way faster than they do in Single player mode, and I was playing the world tour mode all afternoon so I am absolutely positive that about the speed difference.

Both PSPs had 3.52 M33-2.

When they were both set to 222, they game ran fine (normal speed).

It could be that this CPU cap would only apply to offical FW only, because it was damn sure running at 333 (1.5x 222) when linked in adhoc

tanukikun
August 11th, 2007, 04:04
This will prove to be a new reason for Sony to push the Slim PSP onto current owners, since the new hardware eliminates the separate wifi card.

Hmmm... I'm wondering how this will play out...

Iceman^2
August 11th, 2007, 05:35
Every time I hear a new thing about the Slim PSP it has something else that makes me not want to buy it.... This is another one of those things.

pkmaximum
August 11th, 2007, 07:29
Oh wow this sucks, and just when i was wicked psyched for the new syphon filter logan's shadow multiplayer online. =(

Avenyet
August 12th, 2007, 00:12
well sony good thing online play on the PSP is next to well what online play? yea...

well i can't see this making much of a difference just another glitch in sonys plan which won't be sorted until atleast firmware 4.0 but look how long it took them to get the 333 mhz out of the gate i know it all about battery life but they should of unlocked it sooner and released a more powerful battery pack simple really they would of probably made more money as well from people buying the new batteries

burrito
August 12th, 2007, 00:13
Not hot enough for it to be dangerous, unless you're playing out in the sun or at another very hot place. Besides, it's not overclocking as the PSP's CPU is designed to be able to run fine at 333 Mhz. xg917, it is already hacked. It won't change in a new firmware or anything. This article just says that from firmware 3.50, the full CPU capacity can be used by developers for their games.

While it's a great thing that developers can finally take full advantage of the power, giving us better-looking and faster games, it's very stupid of Sony to limit network play to 222 Mhz. And it's probably just because the battery time is lowered even more when using WiFi at 333 Mhz.
The psp's readme actually says that it can cause burns. :eek:

xg917
August 12th, 2007, 01:04
burns in the system? or on your skin?