PDA

View Full Version : ExultPSP Released

wraggster
August 13th, 2007, 06:27
News/release from Phantom Fighter: (http://www.thefoodsucks.com/chuckles/)

Ultima VII. One of the best CRPGs that has inspired or influenced most modern CRPGs. What happens when a golden oldie meets one of the hottest gaming handhelds in modern history? You get to relive a classic in style.

Introducing a port of Exult to the Playstation Portable platform, a framework that allows you to play Ultima VII: The Black Gate / Forge of Virtue as well as Serpent Isle / The Silver Seed.

It took a bit of wrangling and there were bumps along the way, but here it is, playable. We also made some cosmetic updates; I pixeled a few bits of custom graphics for an interface and illustrated a background for the PSP EBOOT and Chemical crafted a swank new logo for us and put together our online home to make the experience that much more enjoyable for you folks out there. ExultPSP isn't perfect, however. It wasn't written with the PSP in mind, so there is one remaining issue, namely memory consumption; I ironed out as many problems as I could, but Exult has quite the appetite for memory which slowly increases and increases as you play. Eventually, the PSP will be able to provide no more, resulting in a crash (it will however let you know that it has run out of memory). So you'll have to save your game occasionally. Despite this, you should be able to get decent stretches of gameplay before this happens. Another issue that snuck up on me is that Serpent Isle isn't playable in this public release. Rest assured this will be remedied in the next release. One final important note, do not suspend your PSP while ExultPSP is playing. I haven't yet accounted for sleep mode, and doing so will wipe out critical memory - I don't want to guess what kind of catastrophe can ensue because of it. Just quit ExultPSP before you shut off or suspend. Make sure you read the included readme text for all the info you need to get this up and running on your Playstation Portable!

And with that, I hope you Ultima fans of old and those new to this game enjoy this offering, as much as we had making it happen. My thanks to Chemical and the testers for their encouragement and support, as well as the Exult Team who deserve the reverence. Ultima VII truly is a remarkable game that has stood the test of time. Enjoy the Adventure that awaits!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

jurkevicz
August 13th, 2007, 06:48
Great news, I believe that you must own the origina Ultima to play this, right?

zheg_pagaza
August 13th, 2007, 07:05
screenshots pls

Buddy4point0
August 13th, 2007, 08:08
screenshots pls

heres the original, this version prolly looks the same.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070411/The-Black-Gate.jpg

siulmagic
August 13th, 2007, 08:55
great port i love ultima series this rmeinds me of there Ultima online mmorpg man i loved that game

grantlionheart
August 13th, 2007, 09:52
Thank you but i think i will wait for a more stable release and if i feel the urge i will just boot up my ultima collections cd :P
But seriously Keep on with the good work i will be sure to download when it is more stable, also would i need to convert my cd to somthing else and move it to some folder on the psp or does this have the whole game with it? o.O

O-bake
August 13th, 2007, 11:00
Wow, thank you very very much for this port :)

Balthasar00
August 13th, 2007, 15:30
omg! thanks!! I'll try that right away

DarthPaul
August 13th, 2007, 16:19
Sounds awesome!
I'll download as soon as I get home![first time I use my brand-new laptop on the university:cool:]

werpu
August 13th, 2007, 20:54
For all of you who only have played console rpgs, I can highly recommend it (although probably wait for a bugfixed version of the exult port)

this is one example of how a rpg could be and nowadays never is. Ultima 7 is arguably one of the best if not the best rpg ever released.

If any rpg comes close to a real rpg experience this is it.

gamefreak199101
August 13th, 2007, 22:02
i dont really like that

murgo
August 14th, 2007, 00:07
Oh man. I've googled and searched everywhere for Exult for PSP, and finally someone has ported it!

I've played the game through like a million times but still I clearly need to do it once again, on my PSP. The games (Black Gate & Serpent Isle) are just amazing. They're so vast and huge, and best of all, so alive. Almost none of the other video game worlds truly feel so alive, despite the old-school graphics the game has (which I personally like, though). And the storyline, it's wonderful, lots of twists without hitting too much clichés.

Anyway, if you've never heard of Ultima-series (or even if you have, the seventh installment is easily the best of the series), try these games out. If you're like me, you'll really much like them.

sappo
August 14th, 2007, 16:50
Oh my Horse!

THIS UBER-RULES! Now let's go with Nuvie :D

This is going on my PSP, NOW!

PlantationBoss
August 16th, 2007, 05:49
Ok, I have given this a good test, and it is magnificent. It plays well, with only momentary pauses as one travels from one area to another. Hopefully this will be fixed soon, along with support for Serpent Isle. For me this is one of the very best things to ever happen on the PSP, Ultima 7 being my all time favourite game. No longer does the GP2X hold this over us (tThey still have avi playback though). I will make a donation to the author as soon as I dig up my paypal password, and hope everyone else who likes this does too.

I really really hope Phantom Fighter sees this project all the way through.