PDA

View Full Version : DeSmuME PSP Unofficial Useless Edition - Nintendo DS Emulator for the PSP

Sektor
August 13th, 2007, 20:46
This is a painfully slow Nintendo DS emulator for Sony PSP. It's completely useless for playing games and unless you are a coder or just want to show off a DS game running on PSP at a few frames per second, don't even bother.

I made some minor changes to SofiyaCat's release:

Made sound optional
Added controls
Enabled FPS counter
Forced PSP CPU to 333Mhz
Added exit callback

It would require a major rewrite to get over 20 FPS and someone with much more skill, knowledge and time than I have.

Controls:

CIRCLE = A
CROSS = B
SELECT = Select
START = Start
DOWN = Right
UP = Left
RIGHT = Up
LEFT = Down
RTRIGGER = R / toggle touch
LTRIGGER = L
TRIANGLE = X
SQUARE = Y

Analog nub for moving touch position but I didn't bother to add a cursor. The Table Hockey Tech Demo has a cursor built in, so you can "play" it at around 3 FPS.

1.5 firmware:
Copy __SCE__DeSmuME_Useless and %__SCE__DeSmuME_Useless to ms0:/psp/game

3.x M33 firmware:
Copy DesmuME_Useless folder to ms0:/psp/game

NDS file must be named test.nds and in the same folder as eboot.pbp
You don't need any bios files.

Credits:
YopYop156, evilynux and DeSmuME team for creating this DS emulator
SofiyaCat/NekoMiMi for porting DeSmuME to Sony PSP
Everyone who contributed to the PSP toolchain/libs and anyone else I forgot
Sektor for creating the Useless Edition fork (modified main.c and ctrlssdl.c)

Links:
SofiyaCat's site has been removed
Sektor's site: http://GTAMP.com/PSP

Compatibility listing here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70849). Many games won't even start and the ones that do start take minutes to load. It's too slow to be any fun.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

kharaboudjan
August 13th, 2007, 20:52
yeah! thats cool, if this is possible why not try sega saturn and atari jaguar? :D

wraggster
August 13th, 2007, 20:53
jaguar is already ported

and saturn could be ported as a tech demo but will never ever be playable

Nice release sektor :)

kharaboudjan
August 13th, 2007, 20:54
ahh, sorry wraggster.. i must have missed it. hope someone will continue the jaguar work!

Exophase
August 13th, 2007, 21:02
Well you did give slightly more effort than the original porter, and you make it clear that it's not going to ever be any good so props for that. But I still have to ask just why you bothered.

Shyvnal
August 13th, 2007, 21:09
Expect whines

hounddog
August 13th, 2007, 21:11
if this will never be full speed then why is someone working on it

mike03$$$
August 13th, 2007, 21:12
got the title right

PSmonkey
August 13th, 2007, 21:16
You... You... attention seaking whore!!!

Na just kidding. :P

acn010
August 13th, 2007, 21:17
lmao!!!!!
oh well... atleast buttons are now functional... lmao!!!

jak66
August 13th, 2007, 21:21
i might just use this...

...if my ds breaks, lol

DimensionT
August 13th, 2007, 21:24
Yey! Now we can mash the buttons for half an hour in the hopes of it getting through!!!

Or does it remember what button you pushed, and enters it the next time it loads a frame?

moose_pete
August 13th, 2007, 22:00
what the hell is wrong with everyone? Does everyone feel important and wise if they point out that it will omgz never work? Worst case of playground chatter ever around this emu.

yoshinatsu
August 13th, 2007, 22:25
and will never be full speed.
O RLY?
That's what they were saying for the custom firmware, that it won't fit in the PSP's flash and shit like that.
And that GBA emulation will never be fullspeed on the PSP. And here they are all of them.
It's just that super-genius that will come out some day to prove you all wrong.:p
Barriers are made to be broken.
And just you wait for the slim PSP, which will feature more RAM, and it will give new HIGHWAYS for homebrew to evolve. Just you wait...

goliath182
August 13th, 2007, 22:34
Well The title is right

emuking
August 13th, 2007, 22:37
it will be fullspeed........just...........believe
(watches sunset in hope)

Exophase
August 13th, 2007, 22:40
O RLY?
That's what they were saying for the custom firmware, that it won't fit in the PSP's flash and shit like that.
And that GBA emulation will never be fullspeed on the PSP. And here they are all of them.
It's just that super-genius that will come out some day to prove you all wrong.:p
Barriers are made to be broken.
And just you wait for the slim PSP, which will feature more RAM, and it will give new HIGHWAYS for homebrew to evolve. Just you wait...

Please hold your breath.

ab88
August 13th, 2007, 22:49
Expect whines

You can see the future lol
:mad: why: if this will never be full speed then why is someone working on it

O RLY?

YA RLY:cool:

Shadowblind
August 13th, 2007, 23:00
Well you did give slightly more effort than the original porter, and you make it clear that it's not going to ever be any good so props for that. But I still have to ask just why you bothered.

Why...why,why,why....

Why did the 300 fight the Persians, although knowing they would die?

Why did the French Rebel, just to have the revolution crushed?

Why did Braveheart fight full to the death?

Heck, who knows. But I believe there may be some future to this project. Maybe(well....obviously, I guess.) not full speed, but maybe even playable. Didn't at one point we believed a GBA emu was impossible? :)

xg917
August 13th, 2007, 23:02
LMAO i read everyones posts. all haters back off. i obviously know it wont be full speed but its kool enough for me to know there is at least a ds emulator even though its useless :p

acn010
August 13th, 2007, 23:10
meh... i still believe this type of emu will go on yet not at full speed, but in a playable state

xg917
August 13th, 2007, 23:11
we will see..

Shadowblind
August 13th, 2007, 23:13
meh... i still believe this type of emu will go on yet not at full speed, but in a playable state

Thats howta think! We can't just keep whining about why it was even made.

Is it not obvious? Why is any emulator made?

To bring enjoyment, as all video games are made for. Is there another reason? To prove it can be done?

acn010
August 13th, 2007, 23:16
ha ha ha... yeah...
i want to see this emui go all the way

xg917
August 13th, 2007, 23:17
i just hate when people point out the obvious in a negative way :(

DanTheManMS
August 13th, 2007, 23:22
I just love how everyone keeps saying "didn't we used to think GBA emulation was impossible?" when the author of said GBA emulator himself states it's impossible to emulate the DS fully. In any case, it's a flawed argument, as just because you can emulate one machine doesn't mean you can emulate the other. Just because you can emulate the NES at full speed doesn't mean you can get Gamecube ISOs to run at all.

That said though, glad to see that controls are at least added. It makes it slightly more usable.

yoshinatsu
August 14th, 2007, 00:22
Just because you can emulate the NES at full speed doesn't mean you can get Gamecube ISOs to run at all.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
OF COURSE, ANALOGICALLY GBA vs DS is THE SAME thing with NES vs GAMECUBE, DIDN'T YOU KNOW?!?!?!??!????:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sektor
August 14th, 2007, 00:28

I'm certain SofiyaCat spent more time and effort on this than I did.

I was curious and it gave me an excuse to learn something. I like reading other people's code. I also love the novelty factor (seeing DS emulated on PSP was amusing). I don't actually want to play DS games on a PSP, I have a DS for that. Adding controls was easy, so why not?

Auriman1
August 14th, 2007, 00:44
I think these were some nice improvements to the initial release, mainly the input. You know what they say: a slow emulator is better than a completely useless emulator :P

Cokemusic
August 14th, 2007, 00:51
I'm not gonna knock the possibility of a Full Speed DS emulator for the PSP ( or at very least a playable one).

At least the DS fanboys can't say that they can emulate their rival handheld to some extent.

If the PSP could emulate the DS that that would be a critical hit for the console , however it's saving grace is the fact that we'll never be able to imitate the touch screen without warranty voiding mods.

Classic80s
August 14th, 2007, 00:51
day run ps1 emu ful speeds y dont some1 port ps2 emu?

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 01:19
cause it needs 700mhz of speed and the psp only runs 333mhz

PSmonkey
August 14th, 2007, 02:00
Ok, time for me to give my two cents.

Discussion on NDS emulation is getting a little retarded so I though my two cents might be of some use.

I get what Exophase is saying and where he is going with things but I don't think it's worth hampering the hopese of NDS emulation being posible on the PSP. Sure for quite a few games it wont be fun or worth doing but trutfuly alot of DS games don't require you to view both screens or use touch screen at all to play. Thies games could posibly be targetd for emulation and made to a playable state (Games like Mario 3v3, Mario 64 DS, etc...).

Anyways for a dirty port of a badly optimised emulator, the results I would say are rather hopeful. I think if someone took the time to start from scrach ans build a solid Arm-Mips recompiler, some games could very well run at a playable framerate above 30fps.

The DS is not some powerhouse, hell it's actualy pretty week. Even more so, the arm7 is not used by developers directly (its all used by the dev API which does alot of sub task on it) so most of it could probably be HLE with just the Arm9 needing emulation. Second yes there are 2 screens which means 2 2D processors but truthfuly quite a few games (mostly ones that would be playable on the psp in the first place) dont really need both screens displayed a once. So one can easly just swap between screens or emulate the 2nd display at a much lower framerate (maybe 15fps) and resize it so it's just a small window in the corner. That just leaves 1 main 2D processor (which is identical to the GBA 2D processor with very minor improvements mostly in palettes) and a 3D processor. The 3D processor also is not very complex and is rather limited in what it does. For 2D only titles you pretty much can just ignore the 3D processor. For 3D games, you will find limited use of the 2D processor for simple hud stuff, So there wont be a whole lot of intensive processing there either (with the exception to games like new super mario bros wich uses 3D for mario and the rest is 2D).

Either way, for the games that could be playable on the psp in the first place (limited to no touch screen use), you could posibly get an acceptable framerate to play them a bit (sure maybe not 60fps but 30-45fps might still be enough to play some of them).

Anyways thats just my take from my experience working on the PSP & DS comercialy.

RunawayPrisoner
August 14th, 2007, 03:15
Please hold your breath.

... *die* ...I will come back and haunt you tonight...

Anyways, I give up on telling... and now I'm just here to observe... O_x Let the rant go on!

andwhyisit
August 14th, 2007, 04:56
Ok, time for me to give my two cents.

Discussion on NDS emulation is getting a little retarded so I though my two cents might be of some use.

I get what Exophase is saying and where he is going with things but I don't think it's worth hampering the hopese of NDS emulation being posible on the PSP. Sure for quite a few games it wont be fun or worth doing but trutfuly alot of DS games don't require you to view both screens or use touch screen at all to play. Thies games could posibly be targetd for emulation and made to a playable state (Games like Mario 3v3, Mario 64 DS, etc...).

Anyways for a dirty port of a badly optimised emulator, the results I would say are rather hopeful. I think if someone took the time to start from scrach ans build a solid Arm-Mips recompiler, some games could very well run at a playable framerate above 30fps.

The DS is not some powerhouse, hell it's actualy pretty week. Even more so, the arm7 is not used by developers directly (its all used by the dev API which does alot of sub task on it) so most of it could probably be HLE with just the Arm9 needing emulation. Second yes there are 2 screens which means 2 2D processors but truthfuly quite a few games (mostly ones that would be playable on the psp in the first place) dont really need both screens displayed a once. So one can easly just swap between screens or emulate the 2nd display at a much lower framerate (maybe 15fps) and resize it so it's just a small window in the corner. That just leaves 1 main 2D processor (which is identical to the GBA 2D processor with very minor improvements mostly in palettes) and a 3D processor. The 3D processor also is not very complex and is rather limited in what it does. For 2D only titles you pretty much can just ignore the 3D processor. For 3D games, you will find limited use of the 2D processor for simple hud stuff, So there wont be a whole lot of intensive processing there either (with the exception to games like new super mario bros wich uses 3D for mario and the rest is 2D).

Either way, for the games that could be playable on the psp in the first place (limited to no touch screen use), you could posibly get an acceptable framerate to play them a bit (sure maybe not 60fps but 30-45fps might still be enough to play some of them).

Anyways thats just my take from my experience working on the PSP & DS comercialy.

Finally someone supports the idea.

Maybe a Single-Screen option with the option to switch between screens may turn up in future releases.

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 05:25
that idea you mentioned i already summed up. ill quote my post on my compat thread

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/phantasum/Concept%20Art/DeSmu-Concept.png

well as you can see, there are panels at the top and bottom. now what we can do is use your idea to get to the menu of the emulator (holding L and R for a quick 5 seconds) and the pannels will show up and the screen sizes of the game will be alittle smaller as you see in the picture. then you can navigate through the options using the dpad and select with O (or X.. how ever the coder designs the input). saves would be a list of all your saved games and 2 other options: save state and load state. Game would get you back in the game. pictochat wouldnt be there.. lol, controls should be integrated into the preferences so i would change one of the panels to Cheats at the top you see 2 panels, one would say the name of the game that is currently running and i would say that the other one would be selected to restart rom, load new rom, or exit emulator. and lastly. you see the 2 DS screens. you can select one of those screens to set it full screen or what ever other scale available so you only see which ever screen you choose (for games that require only one main screen like mario 64 ds and pokemon diamond/pearl for example). if you select the game panel it shows both screens again on your psp.

i kno its a long read but what do you think? kinda sloppy huh..
it most likely wont happen but we can always fantasize

PSmonkey
August 14th, 2007, 05:54
Actualy I just now played a go of Zoo Keeper and was plesently suprised how well the game ran and play at 3fps. Actualy alot more enjoyable then in the old days where I played NGPC games on my n-gage at 3-9 fps. :p

Zoo Keeper also proves a point for me. The game plays fine with zero use of the touch screen (game still works via d-pad, hey Puzzle Quest worked fine on psp and it's a simular concept). Second the top screen barely changes at all. There is no need for it to render every vsync interupt. Sure in a simple sense atm this probably wont improve the framerate of this emu (the thing needs to be done from scrach), yet it does mean you can inch out some processing time if doing a DS emu.

xg917,
Thats more gui sudgestions with little/zero technical substance. My post wins :P

Just messing with you.

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 06:00
lol, just seeing how you would like the idea for gui even though thats not the main problem :p also i was basicly directing that to the single screen idea

would u like to step up to the challenge for an NDS emu?
u better do it. ur the only one that seems to support it really

IM jus playin :D

PSmonkey
August 14th, 2007, 06:11
lol, just seeing how you would like the idea for gui even though thats not the main problem :p also i was basicly directing that to the single screen idea

would u like to step up to the challenge for an NDS emu?
u better do it. ur the only one that seems to support it really

IM jus playin :D

A tantilising prospect but sadly one I wont do due to conficts (work & a puzzle game i'm developing on the side).

Something i've always wanted to see tackled on the PSP. DS & Saturn emulation.

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 06:23
unfortunately no coder is willing to make them :( DS is already here but its ported and painfully slow... and may never be faster.

wolfpack
August 14th, 2007, 06:34
sega saturn emulation for the psp would be awesome, along with sega cd, id be a happy camper

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 06:41
sega cd!! :D i would love that

andwhyisit
August 14th, 2007, 06:43
unfortunately no coder is willing to make them :( DS is already here but its ported and painfully slow... and may never be faster.

There have been two releases within a very short period of each other. That proof-of-concept may start a chain reaction of DS emulators.:D

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 06:56
There have been two releases within a very short period of each other. That proof-of-concept may start a chain reaction of DS emulators.:D

let the coding competition begin!!! :D

Gizmo356
August 14th, 2007, 07:58
It would be cool if someone tried one from scratch but I understand if they don't since it's not easy and very time consuming.

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 08:03
the outcome would be worth it..

goliath182
August 14th, 2007, 08:16
Yes an Enhanced DS Emu for the PSP sounds like some sort of Fantasy.
But it would be awesome and should stop DS sales a bit.

ab88
August 14th, 2007, 09:49
It would be cool if someone tried one from scratch but I understand if they don't since it's not easy and very time consuming.

You are right. Look at strmnnrmn, he has spent more than a year on Daedalus and a lot of games are still not "full-speed". It would take a very dedicated coder and him/her knowing that the emulator would be useless for most games that requires the second screen(As they require fast input in order to keep the game going) It's not an easy task and frankly I don't think anyone is going to take it in the life of the PSP.

kjetil1991
August 14th, 2007, 11:38
have about making a emulator with ds bios like gpsp? then i think we would have got the speed =)

razorak
August 14th, 2007, 12:14
Whatever it is, i'm thankful for what we have. No matter what, something is better than nothing.

geise69
August 14th, 2007, 12:49
I understand the novelty of seeing the DS being emulated on the PSP, but it's like running Windows 95 in Bochs on the PSP. It's cool to see it running but that's as far as it goes. Nothing useful can come out of it, except maybe finishing a game of solitaire. By the time DS emulation possibly reaches 15fps someone could've saved their money to actually buy a DS and a couple games...or flash cart. I'm not knocking any effort from the coders, it's just once something like this comes out all of a sudden people come out of the woodwork and are like "Yes finally!...wtf...this runs like crap. Why won't my game run? Why is it so slow? When will we reach full speed?" It hasn't been that bad...yet.

Sektor
August 14th, 2007, 13:27
Stupid questions are inevitable but personally I find them amusing and they really don't hurt anyone. Watching people come out of the woodwork is part of the fun. I tried to make it obvious that it's slow and not get anyone's hopes up. You are supposed to own the console that you are running an emulator for, so even if a DS emulator was eventually created that could run some games at a playable speed, it's not going to replace your DS, it would just be an alternative and a novelty.

This is mostly something for developers to experiment with and with all the attention it brings, it may spark some coders interest and motivate them to do a total rewrite (doubtful it will happen any time soon but I can't see the future). I expect someone to do some minor optimizations within a few months but getting a commercial demo running at over 15 FPS would require more effort than most people would be willing to put into it.

Gold Line
August 14th, 2007, 13:34
This is great! yes it properly will never be full speed but its nice to have :)

maxipower90
August 14th, 2007, 13:52
if some one coded this from scratch it would work, i dont see a concrete reason why its not possible, look at deadaelus its great and the N64 is a better looking machine than the DS. (the reason the DS looks sharper is simply it has a smaller screen) however i feel that if Sternnen took a look into this he would be able to build it up, however as hes working on deadaelus i doubt that he would want to as it would be to much to ask for any coder

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 19:49
have about making a emulator with ds bios like gpsp? then i think we would have got the speed =)

the BIOS are built into the emulator..

BurningRage
August 14th, 2007, 20:59
the BIOS are built into the emulator..

are they? i'm a noob but didn't we have to download the bios for gpsp? don't know how it's with this one though as i won't bother downloading it (and don't have a ds -.-)

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 21:06
for gpsp yes we needed to get the bios in order to use the emulator but for desmume the bios is built in with the eboot

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 21:26
it should be better the bios outside like gpsp

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 21:43
i dont think it would make a difference. an emulator made from scratch would make the difference and a dedicated coder would too..

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 21:44
meh... i can be wrong...

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 21:49
i would love to hear strmnnrmn's opinion over the idea though.

Sektor
August 14th, 2007, 22:46
Emulating the CPU and video hardware is the slowest part. I doubt the BIOS routines are much of a bottleneck.

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 23:14
CPU is the problem

RunawayPrisoner
August 14th, 2007, 23:21
Actually, HLE BIOS (which also means... built-in BIOS) would boost things up a bit more than reading the BIOS from a dumped file. Exophase said it himself that gpsp would benefit a bit from that, too... but since it's not that drastic a difference... and it's too much hassle, he doesn't want to try that yet.

maxipower90
August 15th, 2007, 04:33
btw when i load this thing up it goes into some sound test mode or something, what is that? to tell the truth i couldnt be bothered downloading roms as my internet has been screwing me about the last few days, i cant seem to download big files or small files like pics but i can download download meduilm filesizes like songs, WTF haha

xg917
August 15th, 2007, 05:14
hey i dont understand how to use the touch screen on this thing. lol. r trigger? is R and the touch? how do you toggle to touch

Sektor
August 15th, 2007, 06:36
I didn't add a cursor and I did something wrong since it doesn't move the ball in the touchtest demo included with devkitpro. It's just for skipping a title screen that can't be skipped with start button (tap R a few times) and controlling the Table Hockey game (use analog nub to drag the arrow over the paddle/puck/thing).

The sound test is a homebrew example for playing sound. I included it to add to the novelty and show that it can play some sounds fairly well (even better if I disable the drawing routine completely).

Exophase
August 15th, 2007, 15:59
Emulating the CPU and video hardware is the slowest part. I doubt the BIOS routines are much of a bottleneck.

Non-HLE BIOS routines = CPU, whether or not HLE emulation benefits depends on how much the routines are used (and of course, how well the HLE is written). For an emulator WITHOUT dynarec the HLE routines always be much faster (unless you reeeally botched them), but without dynarec the thing is uselessly slow anyway.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this emulator is already using HLE BIOS (there goes anything QJ.net was rumbling about it being illegal)

bobbob123
August 15th, 2007, 19:43
nds emulator for psp awesome slow though

CaptainMorgan4
August 16th, 2007, 02:00
DKR boot?

RunawayPrisoner
August 16th, 2007, 02:26
It does use HLE BIOS. And I find it weird that QJ wouldn't host it for "legal" reason... :p Mmm... guessing that they learned their lesson from last time? Oh wait a min... when was last time?

jbleongyo
January 5th, 2008, 18:37
can someone explain to me how the emulator works? like where to put the useless file and stuff?

Sektor
January 6th, 2008, 08:51
The instructions are in the first post. You put the folders on your memory stick in PSP\GAME.

The Hombrew Hunter
January 6th, 2008, 09:06
Yes an Enhanced DS Emu for the PSP sounds like some sort of Fantasy.
But it would be awesome and should stop DS sales a bit.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!

Oh, you're serious about that last part?

I should laugh harder.

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAH!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay, enough trolling.

This is cool but is completely impractical. For the price a PSP Slim which would probably be required for a decent speed you could easily get a DS Lite, R4DS, and a memory card and /still/ save a bit, but instead you get a fullspeed great way to play.

And about PSP on NDS, I'm sure that someone would work on one if there was anything on the PSP worth doing it for ;)

That last part, I'm kidding about, of course. Katamari Damacy kicks the ass.

Probably gonna download this later.

sly123
January 7th, 2008, 14:39
1. A NDS could never emulate a PSP (much too weak)

2. The sales thing is also totally unrealistic... :). The NDS has Touch Screen/2 Displays which the PSP will never ever have. :D

If there will be a PSP2 with touch screen it will look whole different but not now.

Eviltaco64
January 7th, 2008, 16:26
Nintendo DS could probably be emulated if there was a LOT of work done with the emulator. We already have coders like Strmnnrmn working hard (then dissapearing for 2 months) on Daedalus R14 which R13 runs a few games at fullspeed. I dont know much about DS tech specs but I think it's got something like a 66MHz CPU. If N64 could be emulated this well on something with a 333 MHz CPU, then DS could at least be emulated at 45 FPS

EDIT: They said Sega CD and GBA emulation were impossible, as well xD

Tinnus
January 7th, 2008, 17:11
No.

The DS is far more complicated than the N64, although Nintendo manages to create games with as crappy graphics as with the N64 (which was also very underused).

Just for starting, it has an entire GBA + more stuff. That means at least 2 ARM CPUs. And that means gpSP + something 2 or 3 times more powerful + 3D stuff which can't be completely abstracted to the PSP's HW.

andwhyisit
January 8th, 2008, 02:00
No.

The DS is far more complicated than the N64, although Nintendo manages to create games with as crappy graphics as with the N64 (which was also very underused).

Just for starting, it has an entire GBA + more stuff. That means at least 2 ARM CPUs. And that means gpSP + something 2 or 3 times more powerful + 3D stuff which can't be completely abstracted to the PSP's HW.
PSMonkey said it was possible to get it at decent speeds for some games with some work and I believe him considering what he said on the matter:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=493131

zxxxy18
January 25th, 2008, 19:54
what is casino money?:confused:

No_one_in_particular
January 26th, 2008, 01:30
Have a word ffs. You're bumping a relatively old NDS emu thread to ask about the forums casino cash? If you'd bothered searching, you would of came across this thread:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86989

boumboum
January 26th, 2008, 03:04
Well even if the NDS is impossible to emulate, I think that the work of these guys is important. By releasing the source code, they increase the knowledge about the running of the ARM and the engine that would made a future emulator on a next console (maybe PSP2 will be 1 GHZ, 256 Mo ram, who know?)

The great majority of people were thinking that N64 emulation was impossible on PSP, how many people is actually waiting for the release of R14, why ? N64 is playable on PSP due to hard working of strmnnrmn.

Of course, there is differrent issue foe the NDS, the two ARM processor is probably hard to emulate, the tactiles screens that the PSP don't have, the mic, etc... but I still thinking that this work is not a losse of time.

andwhyisit
January 26th, 2008, 15:34
Well even if the NDS is impossible to emulate, I think that the work of these guys is important. By releasing the source code, they increase the knowledge about the running of the ARM and the engine that would made a future emulator on a next console (maybe PSP2 will be 1 GHZ, 256 Mo ram, who know?)

The great majority of people were thinking that N64 emulation was impossible on PSP, how many people is actually waiting for the release of R14, why ? N64 is playable on PSP due to hard working of strmnnrmn.

Of course, there is differrent issue foe the NDS, the two ARM processor is probably hard to emulate, the tactiles screens that the PSP don't have, the mic, etc... but I still thinking that this work is not a losse of time.
Its not that the DS is impossible to emulate, its just that it will never reach fullspeed, and fullspeed is all that matters to everyone aparently. Personally I would love to see a from-scratch playable DS emulator for PSP, even if it never reaches fullspeed. It would be nice to only had to carry 1 handheld at a time. But this emulator is just a Proof-of-Concept.

darkness angel 777
January 26th, 2008, 16:43
at least theres sound.

gixxelz
January 29th, 2008, 01:48
what about a port of no$gba, considering that it runs some ds games at full speed, and with the incorporation of nds2xgl you can rotate the screen to where the touch screen is next to the actual game and in order to utilize the touch screen, now how logical would that be?

Sektor
January 29th, 2008, 03:10
no$gba is closed source, so porting it is not an option.

andwhyisit
January 29th, 2008, 23:28
Emulating both screens at once wouldn't work, you would need to show only one screen at a time and switch between them.

PSPdemon
January 30th, 2008, 00:44
Okay, ive seen that this thread is being revived way to much....

there is a reason this is called Useless Edition.... as in its completely useless

no offence.... even though it shows DS emulation is possible... it will never amount to anything.

im not saying DS emulation on PSP is in anyways impossible ( or atleast to attain a speed worth noting ) its just that the amount of work to optimize the emu is insane... and since it brings little to no improvments or results to getting to a playable speed... it would just be a waste of time

Also.... to anyone out there ( and ive seen these posts so many times it makes me sick ) NO... N64 and DS are not the same.... in any way shape or form... ( as Tinnus and others mentioned before me )

Please, i do not mean to hurt, flame, or bash anyone in anyway... just that i hate seeing this thread get revived and revived again for either stupid questions... ( no offence )

Sorry if it may seem like im rambling ( which i may ) just a little tired from to many revived ( 4 months + old ) threads.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

shakil
February 24th, 2008, 09:12
just 1 question but might be stupid how can i play pokemon diamond i renamed it as test.nds but it don't come up. can any1 help?

ps.(sorry bout all da readin lol)

Sektor
February 24th, 2008, 09:33
If you look at "compatibility" (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70849) list linked in the first post, you will that Pokemon doesn't work , I don't think it even works in the PC version of DeSmuME.

jurkevicz
February 24th, 2008, 13:06
Just let it go, it doesn't work

andwhyisit
February 25th, 2008, 02:43
Okay, ive seen that this thread is being revived way to much....

there is a reason this is called Useless Edition.... as in its completely useless

no offence.... even though it shows DS emulation is possible... it will never amount to anything.

im not saying DS emulation on PSP is in anyways impossible ( or atleast to attain a speed worth noting ) its just that the amount of work to optimize the emu is insane... and since it brings little to no improvments or results to getting to a playable speed... it would just be a waste of time

Also.... to anyone out there ( and ive seen these posts so many times it makes me sick ) NO... N64 and DS are not the same.... in any way shape or form... ( as Tinnus and others mentioned before me )

Please, i do not mean to hurt, flame, or bash anyone in anyway... just that i hate seeing this thread get revived and revived again for either stupid questions... ( no offence )

Sorry if it may seem like im rambling ( which i may ) just a little tired from to many revived ( 4 months + old ) threads.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon
Well I don't know about you guys but I have mostly been talking about the idea of DS emulation on PSP in general. I still like the idea of a DS emulator for PSP in a playable state, regardless of whether or not it will reach fullspeed. You have a point about the stupid comments though.

gradle2grave
March 4th, 2008, 08:31
Ermm...Guys...Why, It Says That The Game Cannot Be Started?

gradle2grave
March 4th, 2008, 08:33
Btw...I'm Using Version 3.90 m33-2

djbrotherson
March 4th, 2008, 13:24
Man I have a DS with an R4 chip, im already bored with that sh!t

Get a DS lite, its better than going through all this trouble and no stylus support or dual screen... c'mon

acn010
March 4th, 2008, 16:40
Man I have a DS with an R4 chip, im already bored with that sh!t

Get a DS lite, its better than going through all this trouble and no stylus support or dual screen... c'mon

stylus and dual screen is supported on this version....

too slow though

djbrotherson
March 4th, 2008, 17:40
Dual screen how? That's pointless.... the analog as a stylus? Pointless

Get A DS with an R4 chip people, don't be silly

No_one_in_particular
March 4th, 2008, 18:09
What do you mean how ? By showing both screens, surely ? And why is having the analog as a stylus pointless? If this thing could work, I'd try it. But alas, the unsurprising consensus is it won't.

I don't really understand why people are desperately clinging to it, though. I mean, it doesn't work, so why the **** people are bumping this thread every week, I do not understand.

acn010
March 4th, 2008, 18:15
you guys dont get it?

DeSmuME PSP Unofficial Useless Edition
thank you

No_one_in_particular
March 4th, 2008, 18:23
No, I get it perfectly. What I don't understand, however, is your post. Explain.

acn010
March 4th, 2008, 18:50
proofof the emu:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/pika1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/piika3.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/yoshi.jpg

unfinished project ds idea thingy:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/pspemu.jpg
happy???

No_one_in_particular
March 4th, 2008, 18:55
Well no, as I've seen the last image already and having the ability to read, I knew it was a proof of concept. What part of my post made you think otherwise ?

acn010
March 4th, 2008, 19:11
it was last year man... get over it... it is useless... that is all

No_one_in_particular
March 4th, 2008, 19:15
Didn't I just say that, to which you replied by saying I didn't get it ?

acn010
March 4th, 2008, 19:23
theres a difference between not working and useless, thats all...
It does work BUT, it is way to slow to be played

No_one_in_particular
March 4th, 2008, 19:29
Let's be honest here, it isn't being bumped weekly so people can marvel at how it emulates the title screen, is it ? In the sense in which they want it to work, it doesn't.

I think if you really tried, you could have worked out what I meant, instead of trying to make out I didn't get it, and helping oh-so-usefully by bolding the thread title. But yeh, I know fine well that it works at an appalling speed.

djbrotherson
March 4th, 2008, 19:33
Totally useless, maybe if they perfect it. Seen as how N64 emulation is far from perfect I highly doubt NDS emulation will ever be (PC or PSP). There will most likely be another PSP variation or another superior handheld system that can do twice as much by the time this is completed... but I can respect the proof on concept

gamerdood
April 13th, 2008, 13:10
I think these were some nice improvements to the initial release, mainly the input. You know what they say: a slow emulator is better than a completely useless emulator :P

Thats what my mother used to say to me :D

No_one_in_particular
April 13th, 2008, 15:28
You an emulator like ?

andwhyisit
April 14th, 2008, 00:27
Totally useless, maybe if they perfect it. Seen as how N64 emulation is far from perfect I highly doubt NDS emulation will ever be (PC or PSP). There will most likely be another PSP variation or another superior handheld system that can do twice as much by the time this is completed... but I can respect the proof on concept
PSMonkey said that it is possible to get NDS to a playable state on PSP, not fullspeed but close enough. Unfortunately no-one gives a crap about an emulator that will never reach fullspeed, or a DS emulator that can only emulate one screen at a time. Shame really.

acidspunk
April 14th, 2008, 12:14

Actually, DS emulation on the PC is pretty good right now. Try the no$gba emulator.

Tyr
April 14th, 2008, 12:28
no$gba is amazing , just a major pity its not open source and its a commercial emu that you have to buy unless you use a cracked version ;)

AdamRav
April 14th, 2008, 20:38
why would you want to emulate ds without the touch screen???

although, this proof of ceoncept is pretty good, but if you really wanted to play DS games just buy one

not that expensive these days anyway

DanTheManMS
April 14th, 2008, 23:23
no$gba is amazing , just a major pity its not open source and its a commercial emu that you have to buy unless you use a cracked version ;)

2.6 is free. You only need to pay if you want the absolute latest version, 2.6a.

andwhyisit
April 16th, 2008, 01:08
why would you want to emulate ds without the touch screen???

although, this proof of ceoncept is pretty good, but if you really wanted to play DS games just buy one

not that expensive these days anyway

There is a difference between only emulating one screen at a time to only emulating one screen. You would most likely be able to switch between screens. Besides, from what I recall hearing most DS games do not need the touch screen to play, but it will still be there if you need it. That is if anyone puts the effort in to make a real DS emulator.

shintaho
April 16th, 2008, 11:13
why cant I download this ????

shintaho
April 16th, 2008, 11:18
mooooaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!
Im getting crazy!!!!!
I want this desmume thing....
but it dont let me download...
*is crying*
heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Please!!!!!!!!

Sektor
April 16th, 2008, 16:03
It's not really worth downloading. Zoo Keeper is probably the only "playable" game but it still runs at less than 4 FPS.

I just downloaded it again from this forum and both files were fine. You can also download it from http://gtamp.com/PSP

Koves2K8
April 17th, 2008, 20:42
Omg you know what I really hate (apart from people that say omg). And it IS an issue.

When whiny arse bitches leave comments that go something like this. 'Why would you want an Emulator? Why not buy one?'.

I''ll admit it's the first thing that comes to my mind but these people are forgetting not all of us have bountiful resources of money to buy every console we've ever loved for a start. It really gets on my wick. I mean I get to play all my old PS1 games, Megadrive, SNES, spectrum etc etc on my HD telly in surround sound! It's all wired up in my front room in one little PC box.

FFS. I've had to go buy a Gamecube just for Resident Evil 0. More cables, more discs, more power sockets...generally more annoying.

Of course I want new emulators for my PSP and PC...everybody downloads free games for them. THATS WHY EVERYONE WANTS THEM. Not only that but games consoles eventually get beyond repair (and the discs) and as far as I know they don't make Gamecubes, PS2's or Xbox's anymore. I'm quite surprised at the slow rate of this current emulation scene. The 8bit,16bit, 32bit and 64bit emulation almost appeared overnight for PC's (in playable terms) when they died off and I think it's where a lot of disapointment lies. I'm not blaming the coders. It's obviously due to the fact Consoles have a got a hell of lot more complicated and the company's that own the rights have become multi national super conglematory powers that have killed innovation and protected their copyrights with an ironfist. Or they release the source code for working emulation veeeerrryyy slllowwwwlllly to maximise profit. I mean who really wants to buy an xbox, ps2 or gamecube now anyway when we all have PS3's, 360's, Wii's and Quad-Cores? That does not mean I don't want to occasionally remind myself of the games. You only know where your going if you know where you've been and all that.

People that say shit like 'what's the point' are ironically missing the whole point. Even more so on my PSP. Who the hell doesn't want to play Mario Kart 64 on PSP over Wifi....eeesh. Never mind DS emulation (most of the games are crap anyway). My old Pentium 2 (lol) could handle a freaking n64 just about.

The EX
April 17th, 2008, 22:06
Most of the time, as you said, their comments are unjustified. But in general, this specific emulator is useless. Feel free to [attempt] to play Pokemon on this when you later need reminding of what the game is like. Because I can tell you now, it won't be nearly as good as playing the game on the console it was built for.

When whiny arse bitches leave comments that go something like this. 'Why would you want an Emulator? Why not buy one?'.
You know what I hate? People who reply thinking they are smarter and more informed than the original poster, when in fact they are not.

I''ll admit it's the first thing that comes to my mind but these people are forgetting not all of us have bountiful resources of money to buy every console we've ever loved for a start.
Don't buy them then, just don't expect people to forgive you for blatant piracy, and please, oh please, do not reply with the lame (and very common) excuse of 'I don't have the money'.

It really gets on my wick. I mean I get to play all my old PS1 games, Megadrive, SNES, spectrum etc etc on my HD telly in surround sound! It's all wired up in my front room in one little PC box.

FFS. I've had to go buy a Gamecube just for Resident Evil 0. More cables, more discs, more power sockets...generally more annoying.

Do you, or do you not have the money to buy a DS? Because a HD telly, a gamecube, and all the various other consoles that you have tell me otherwise.

Of course I want new emulators for my PSP and PC...everybody downloads free games for them. THATS WHY EVERYONE WANTS THEM. Not only that but games consoles eventually get beyond repair (and the discs) and as far as I know they don't make Gamecubes, PS2's or Xbox's anymore. I'm quite surprised at the slow rate of this current emulation scene. The 8bit,16bit, 32bit and 64bit emulation almost appeared overnight for PC's (in playable terms) when they died off and I think it's where a lot of disapointment lies.

Yup, unfortunately the DS nor the PSP use 64bit architecture.

I'm not blaming the coders. It's obviously due to the fact Consoles have a got a hell of lot more complicated and the company's that own the rights have become multi national super conglematory powers that have killed innovation and protected their copyrights with an ironfist.
You don't mind if I steal your Gamecube and HD telly do you? You seem pro-piracy, so I figured you'd be fine with it.

Never mind DS emulation (most of the games are crap anyway). My old Pentium 2 (lol) could handle a freaking n64 just about.
You just said it yourself. This emulator is useless if there are no good games to play on it.

Koves2K8
April 18th, 2008, 00:55
Wow a decent reply...don't know about the intelligence bit mind. Maybe in your chosen field. And anyway I didn't say I was smarter than you. You probably are when it comes to the emulation scene. But there you go assuming your genius of the world. I didn't say I didn't have the money neither. And I didn't say this emulator was useless (even if it is). And as for picking up on the hand held 64 bit architecture I wasn't talking about that at the time. Not a people person are you? Picking my thread to pieces and reaching the wrong conclusions about me. Eeeesh. I'm saying to buy every console you ever loved would cost an arm and a leg. Pointless when you can get it all in one box. I'm not saying I'm pro piracy either but when certain units become defunct it is a shame to let them die and to emulate them all properly you'd have to buy every next gen console (and even then some games don't work) or buy EVERY console/computer. Which is excessive...Imagine if I still had to buy a Spectrum ZX81, 48k, +2, +3, Vic 20, BBC Micro, Dragon, Snes, Megadrive, NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Atari Jaguar, Sam Coupe', Amiga 500, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC464,...blah blah blah. I wouldn't be able to breathe for a start let alone afford it. Why does it seem so impossible for the last generation of consoles to be fully emulated? (on other platforms). With the relevant company's permission I hasten to add. It seems like a natural progression to me. Why can't they cash in on an obvious market by SELLING emulators instead of hindering them. Oh I can imagine the legal problems allready...but surely that should be the fault of the big 3. Not the consumer. And people will go ahead and do it anyway...illegally.

Perhaps not the NDS. That's obviously too soon when people are still buying them...and they are fresh (?). lol. See. It does drive hardware sales. I even donated a £10 to no$gba. So my previous point stands. I'm willing to buy an Emulator and games for another system. If people sold them for my PC or my PSP. It's not my fault they don't. lol. That's the whole argument for me...not I can't afford it.

And as for stealing my gamecube or my HD telly...I really couldn't care less when I have home insurance....and a Claymore.

I'm Scottish so it's allowed :D

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=155404143&albumID=1644198&imageID=19582779

elvandar
May 31st, 2008, 15:18
This is a really slow Nintendo DS emulator for Sony PSP.

I made some minor changes to SofiyaCat's release:

Made sound optional
Added controls
Enabled FPS counter
Set CPU to 333Mhz
Added exit callback

It's still painfully slow (usually under 3.5 FPS). I don't have the knowledge to speed it up. It would require a major rewrite to get over 20 FPS.

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/DesMuME_PSP_DS_Emulator_for_the_PSP)
http://digg.com/gaming_news/DesMuME_PSP_DS_Emulator_for_the_PSP

Controls:

PSP_CTRL_CIRCLE = A
PSP_CTRL_CROSS = B
PSP_CTRL_SELECT = Select
PSP_CTRL_START = Start
PSP_CTRL_DOWN = Right
PSP_CTRL_UP = Left
PSP_CTRL_RIGHT = Up
PSP_CTRL_LEFT = Down
PSP_CTRL_RTRIGGER = R / toggle touch
PSP_CTRL_LTRIGGER = L
PSP_CTRL_TRIANGLE = X
PSP_CTRL_SQUARE = Y

Analog nub for moving touch position (I didn't bother to add a cursor)
Table Hockey Tech Demo has a cursor built in, so you can "play" it at around 3 FPS

1.5 firmware:
Copy __SCE__DeSmuME_Useless and %__SCE__DeSmuME_Useless to ms0:/psp/game

3.x M33 firmware:
Copy DesmuME_Useless folder to ms0:/psp/game

Credits:
YopYop156, evilynux and DeSmuME team for creating this DS emulator
SofiyaCat/NekoMiMi for porting DeSmuME to Sony PSP
Everyone who contributed to the PSP toolchain/libs and anyone else I forgot
Sektor for creating the Useless Edition fork (modified main.c and ctrlssdl.c)

Links:
SofiyaCat's site: http://nekomimi.cafe.coocan.jp/wiki/?%CA%AA%C3%D6#a24210f3
Sektor's site: http://GTAMP.com/PSP

Compatibility listing here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70849). Many games won't even start and the ones that do start take minutes to load. It's too slow to be any fun.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments
how to put on games ????

KillerDodds
June 2nd, 2008, 02:32
If someone could just get a full version of that to play on the PSP, it would be awsome, its simple game, just needs someone who knows that hacking stuff, i don't. i want to tho, anyways, someone try that, it would be awsome.!

fook123
June 3rd, 2008, 11:14
how to put on games ????

spannernick
June 4th, 2008, 17:49
Anyone else working on this.?

What do you need the compile the source to a eboot file.

I have devkitpro with devkitPSP..?

May be a broswer could be added so you can pick what nds file to run..?

Oh and a cross as the pen on the touchscreen.

dodoX
June 28th, 2008, 09:36
what is psp_control_circle

Sektor
June 28th, 2008, 10:03
The circle button :)

Spannernick, you can compile it with devkitPSP. You don't have to compile SDL since the SDL binaries are included with DeSmuME PSP.

dodoX
June 28th, 2008, 14:07
what is control_psp_circle, can you translate for me

dodoX
June 28th, 2008, 14:08
i dont understand

Sektor
June 28th, 2008, 14:38
The PSP has buttons with shapes printed on them (Square, triangle, circle and cross). The circle is the round object that looks like an O.

PSP_CTRL_CIRCLE is just what the buttons are named in the PSP devkit. I was lazy and just copy and pasted the controls from my code. All you need to know is that to push the A button in the emulator you push O (circle) on the PSP.

pspd
June 28th, 2008, 14:40
i dont understand
Maybe you shouldn't bother...

dodoX
June 30th, 2008, 09:12
what should i press to get A

dodoX
June 30th, 2008, 09:12
on the psp

dodoX
June 30th, 2008, 09:14
but i tried press o nothing happens and other pads

dodoX
July 1st, 2008, 13:43
how to make the buttons functional

Sektor
July 1st, 2008, 16:59
What are you trying to play? Maybe the game isn't compatible and the emulator just froze up. The buttons work but the emulator is really slow and has bad compatibility, so don't waste your time.

dodoX
July 2nd, 2008, 14:12
but the buttons would not work

dodoX
July 2nd, 2008, 14:14
I Tried Playing Geowars

Zack
July 2nd, 2008, 14:19
I Tried Playing Geowars

Well learn how to code , make the emulator faster, and make the buttons work better.

Otherwise, there is no point complaining.

Sorry for sounding harsh but that's your only option.

The skill level involved in making this emulator run at a playable speed is immense. The psp would really have to be pushed to its very limit with every possible optimisation done, (and in asm more than likely) to even get anywhere near playable speeds.

Good luck:p

dodoX
July 2nd, 2008, 14:22
how to do it acn you teach me

Zack
July 2nd, 2008, 15:07
how to do it acn you teach me

Lol, I could but I am not skilled enough for this task. I can program in c but I'm far too inexperienced for a project of this scale and complexity.

Start here : http://www.cprograming.com

Those tutorials are great.

spannernick
July 2nd, 2008, 15:30
The circle button :)

Spannernick, you can compile it with devkitPSP. You don't have to compile SDL since the SDL binaries are included with DeSmuME PSP.

Thanks..:)

Its great what you have done with it so far..:)

I have tried Game and Watch Collection,It works but its slow..:(

andwhyisit
July 3rd, 2008, 04:19
If someone could just get a full version of that to play on the PSP, it would be awsome, its simple game, just needs someone who knows that hacking stuff, i don't. i want to tho, anyways, someone try that, it would be awsome.!
A Pokemon D/P interpreter? Yeah I wouldn't mind that either but I don't think you understand the level of involvement required to create it.

Anyone else working on this.?
You are by the sounds. Anyone else? Nope. Go for it.

May be a broswer could be added so you can pick what nds file to run..?

Oh and a cross as the pen on the touchscreen.
Are you planning to add navigation to this emulator? Any improvement to this emulator is good. Then again a DS emulator started from scratch would be a better solution.

Well learn how to code , make the emulator faster, and make the buttons work better.

The skill level involved in making this emulator run at a playable speed is immense. The psp would really have to be pushed to its very limit with every possible optimisation done, (and in asm more than likely) to even get anywhere near playable speeds.

Still hoping that PSMonkey could take up this task but I seriously doubt anyone will.

spannernick
July 3rd, 2008, 10:00
You are by the sounds. Anyone else? Nope. Go for it.

Are you planning to add navigation to this emulator? Any improvement to this emulator is good. Then again a DS emulator started from scratch would be a better solution.

They were just suggestions i was making.Never programed the psp before..

dodoX
July 3rd, 2008, 14:04
can give me links for ds commercial roms instead and thanks for the help.

Exophase
July 3rd, 2008, 14:10

What do you consider playable speeds?

Zack
July 3rd, 2008, 17:02
What do you consider playable speeds?

I should have been more clear. I meant to say only 2d games.

And around 20-30fps.

Probably never going to happen though

Exophase
July 3rd, 2008, 17:14
I should have been more clear. I meant to say only 2d games.

And around 20-30fps.

Probably never going to happen though

Some 2D only games at that speed is probably possible. I personally would never work on it because I don't consider 33-50% to be playable speed though.

andwhyisit
July 4th, 2008, 02:01
can give me links for ds commercial roms instead and thanks for the help.
No. Go away you stupid pirate. It is against the rules of this forum to ask for commercial roms/isos.

Some 2D only games at that speed is probably possible. I personally would never work on it because I don't consider 33-50% to be playable speed though.
I would consider it to be a playable speed. Though if only one screen was emulated at a time that would speed it up. After that, specific titles (Pokemon, Phantom Hourglass, etc.) could have individual interpreters built on top of the emulator for speed boosts, and frameskip never hurts.

Of course this would take a long time but I would be happy just to see someone actually working on it.

Zack
July 4th, 2008, 02:59
No. Go away you stupid pirate. It is against the rules of this forum to ask for commercial roms/isos.

I would consider it to be a playable speed. Though if only one screen was emulated at a time that would speed it up. After that, specific titles (Pokemon, Phantom Hourglass, etc.) could have individual interpreters built on top of the emulator for speed boosts, and frameskip never hurts.

Of course this would take a long time but I would be happy just to see someone actually working on it.

I had a little mess around with it today. In my opinion it needs to be stripped down a lot. I'm talking about taking 3d, wifi & sound (for now) out completely and purely focusing this emulator on 2d DS games.

I will probably keep messing around with it, it is a lot of work though. Even after it's stripped down there is a hell of a lot of optimization that needs to be done.

Which would more than likely include :

-Full re-write of the 2d core.
-Making a dynarec.

More chance of this happening with a team in my opinion. Problem is, anyone that has the skill to join the team are usually busy or have barley any free time to contribute.

dodoX
July 5th, 2008, 14:31
can u give me the link to download geowars

spannernick
July 6th, 2008, 10:35
can u give me the link to download geowars

Can we keep this post just about the emulator please..

Google is your friend..

Strongbadunit2
July 8th, 2008, 04:40
The psp is going to have a ten year life cycle before moving on to the psp2...so I hope that the a ds emu is at least attempted. :)

acn010
July 8th, 2008, 09:57
The psp is going to have a ten year life cycle before moving on to the psp2...so I hope that the a ds emu is at least attempted. :)

thank you for reviving this thread.........dude...stop posting on old threads:mad:

Eviltaco64
July 8th, 2008, 10:55
thank you for reviving this thread.........dude...stop posting on old threads:mad:

he didnt revive it

tahboobi
July 25th, 2008, 17:39
kivk ds asses :P

SleepyTim
October 8th, 2008, 01:58
way too slow... sure buttons work... but still way too slow.

Sektor
November 18th, 2008, 13:55
I just received this email:

Dear Author,

I am an editor of a Japanese magazine called "WindowsMobile100%",a
magazine for Windows users with original CD-ROMs tooffer data/software.

I would like to introduce your "DeSmuME PSP Unofficial Useless Edition "
to Japanese Windows users.And I am glad that you would give me kind
permission to put your soft into our CD-ROM.
If OK,I would like to introduce your software continuously from now on.

Please let me know when you have any questions or find any problems for
introducing your soft.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

animekid4
November 19th, 2008, 02:27
....please stop downing this people. You never know....this MAY just become the next big thing. They said "THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE" when it came to an unbricker and when trying to downgrade the 2.71 firmware, but look where we are now...

andwhyisit
November 19th, 2008, 05:24
I had a little mess around with it today. In my opinion it needs to be stripped down a lot. I'm talking about taking 3d, wifi & sound (for now) out completely and purely focusing this emulator on 2d DS games.

I will probably keep messing around with it, it is a lot of work though. Even after it's stripped down there is a hell of a lot of optimization that needs to be done.

-Making a dynarec.

More chance of this happening with a team in my opinion. Problem is, anyone that has the skill to join the team are usually busy or have barley any free time to contribute.
I am glad that somebody finally wants to take this on. Good luck!

Probably a good idea to emulate only one screen at a time though.

Sektor
November 19th, 2008, 05:39
I am glad that somebody finally wants to take this on. Good luck!

Probably a good idea to emulate only one screen at a time though.

Zack wrote that more than 5 months ago.

I noticed SofiyaCat has removed the emulator from her site.

tamj
November 27th, 2008, 08:05

-Making a dynarec.

The PA Dev Team will be glad to have you on the team. One of their projects include porting DeSmuME to the psp. They are a very active team so you will see some results soon.

The PA Dev Team is the same team that ported Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP, and Team Fortress to the psp.

If you want to work with the team, feel free to let us know over here at http://psp.wijou.com/forum I'm sure the team will be glad to have you on board. :)

carlitx
November 27th, 2008, 18:34
god damned ****ing noobtacular idiots! stop trying to revive old ****ing useless topics like this one!

tamj
November 27th, 2008, 23:19
Take it easy man. It was just a few days old from the last post.

I don't think it is ever too late for development projects to continue.

andwhyisit
December 8th, 2008, 10:46
The PA Dev Team will be glad to have you on the team. One of their projects include porting DeSmuME to the psp. They are a very active team so you will see some results soon.

The PA Dev Team is the same team that ported Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP, and Team Fortress to the psp.

If you want to work with the team, feel free to let us know over here at http://psp.wijou.com/forum I'm sure the team will be glad to have you on board. :)
Any progress?

ray13j
December 8th, 2008, 13:39
god damned ****ing noobtacular idiots! stop trying to revive old ****ing useless topics like this one!

Stfu dont be angry cuz u cant do sh|t

pkmaximum
December 8th, 2008, 14:33
The only use i can see out of this project, is getting the emulator to a point where it can run DS homebrew well =/

tamj
December 9th, 2008, 01:30
It is going pretty well. The team will implement several features that were never available in other emulators. Some are a bit obvious that have never been implemented. That's all I can say. If you want to know more, you can join the team for the rest of the info or wait until a beta comes out. ;)

Zack
December 9th, 2008, 15:08

Thanks for the offer. At the moment I simply don't have the time to get involved in any other projects. When this changes I will be glad to help

andwhyisit
December 10th, 2008, 01:05
It is going pretty well. The team will implement several features that were never available in other emulators. Some are a bit obvious that have never been implemented. That's all I can say. If you want to know more, you can join the team for the rest of the info or wait until a beta comes out. ;)
Where should I look for updates then?

rraayy
December 10th, 2008, 12:46
i hope it will work and hello bonjour

sean583740
April 18th, 2009, 16:55
How come it stays at the simple sound demo?

Sektor
April 18th, 2009, 17:24
That's because there is no file browser. You have to delete test.nds and put you own test.nds there instead.

sean583740
April 18th, 2009, 18:32
How do I do that?

Nokiaman
April 18th, 2009, 19:40
DS emulation could be perfect, but noone is interested

sean583740
April 18th, 2009, 21:18
That's because there is no file browser. You have to delete test.nds and put you own test.nds there instead.

What do you mean by I have to put my own test.nds there? How do I put my own?

Sektor
April 19th, 2009, 08:05
If you think you are going to be able to play a game on this then stop wasting your time, it's too slow for that.

If it runs the simple sound demo on startup then go into DeSmuME_Useless and delete test.nds, copy the .nds file you want to run into that folder and then rename it to test.nds.

sean583740
April 19th, 2009, 16:20
That worked but now when it loads the test.nds, it stays at a white screen.

Kelani
June 20th, 2009, 12:36
Can anyone answer the question above me?

Kelani
June 20th, 2009, 12:36
please

Sektor
June 20th, 2009, 13:07
Either you didn't wait long enough or the game isn't compatible with this poorly optimized emulator.

Kelani
June 20th, 2009, 21:13
I left it on for about 3 hours while I was out and it didn't budge