PDA

View Full Version : DeSmuME PSP Unofficial Useless Edition - Nintendo DS Emulator for the PSP

Sektor
August 13th, 2007, 20:46
This is a really slow Nintendo DS emulator for Sony PSP.

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/desmumepsp_tablehockey.png

I made some minor changes to SofiyaCat's release:

Made sound optional
Added controls
Enabled FPS counter
Set CPU to 333Mhz

It's still painfully slow (usually under 3 FPS) and will never be full speed.

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/DesMuME_PSP_DS_Emulator_for_the_PSP)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/DesMuME_PSP_DS_Emulator_for_the_PSP

Controls:

PSP_CTRL_CIRCLE = A
PSP_CTRL_CROSS = B
PSP_CTRL_SELECT = Select
PSP_CTRL_START = Start
PSP_CTRL_DOWN = Right
PSP_CTRL_UP = Left
PSP_CTRL_RIGHT = Up
PSP_CTRL_LEFT = Down
PSP_CTRL_RTRIGGER = R / toggle touch
PSP_CTRL_LTRIGGER = L
PSP_CTRL_TRIANGLE = X
PSP_CTRL_SQUARE = Y

Analog nub for moving touch position (I didn't bother to add a cursor)
Table Hockey Tech Demo has a cursor built in, so you can "play" it at around 3 FPS

1.5 firmware:
Copy __SCE__DeSmuME_Useless and %__SCE__DeSmuME_Useless to ms0:/psp/game

3.52 M33 firmware:
Copy DesmuME_Useless folder to ms0:/psp/game

NDS file must be named test.nds and in the same folder as eboot.pbp
You don't need any bios files.

Credits:
YopYop156, evilynux and DeSmuME team for creating this DS emulator
SofiyaCat/NekoMiMi for porting DeSmuME to Sony PSP
Everyone who contributed to the PSP toolchain/libs and anyone else I forgot
Sektor for creating the Useless Edition fork (modified main.c and ctrlssdl.c)

Links:
SofiyaCat's site: http://nekomimi.cafe.coocan.jp/wiki/?%CA%AA%C3%D6#a24210f3
Sektor's site: http://GTAMP.com/PSP

Check out the Compatibility Listings Here for this Emulator (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70849)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

kharaboudjan
August 13th, 2007, 20:52
yeah! thats cool, if this is possible why not try sega saturn and atari jaguar? :D

wraggster
August 13th, 2007, 20:53
jaguar is already ported

and saturn could be ported as a tech demo but will never ever be playable

Nice release sektor :)

kharaboudjan
August 13th, 2007, 20:54
ahh, sorry wraggster.. i must have missed it. hope someone will continue the jaguar work!

Exophase
August 13th, 2007, 21:02
Well you did give slightly more effort than the original porter, and you make it clear that it's not going to ever be any good so props for that. But I still have to ask just why you bothered.

Shyvnal
August 13th, 2007, 21:09
Expect whines

hounddog
August 13th, 2007, 21:11
if this will never be full speed then why is someone working on it

mike03$$$
August 13th, 2007, 21:12
got the title right

PSmonkey
August 13th, 2007, 21:16
You... You... attention seaking whore!!!

Na just kidding. :P

acn010
August 13th, 2007, 21:17
lmao!!!!!
oh well... atleast buttons are now functional... lmao!!!

jak66
August 13th, 2007, 21:21
i might just use this...

...if my ds breaks, lol

DimensionT
August 13th, 2007, 21:24
Yey! Now we can mash the buttons for half an hour in the hopes of it getting through!!!

Or does it remember what button you pushed, and enters it the next time it loads a frame?

moose_pete
August 13th, 2007, 22:00
what the hell is wrong with everyone? Does everyone feel important and wise if they point out that it will omgz never work? Worst case of playground chatter ever around this emu.

yoshinatsu
August 13th, 2007, 22:25
and will never be full speed.
O RLY?
That's what they were saying for the custom firmware, that it won't fit in the PSP's flash and shit like that.
And that GBA emulation will never be fullspeed on the PSP. And here they are all of them.
It's just that super-genius that will come out some day to prove you all wrong.:p
Barriers are made to be broken.
And just you wait for the slim PSP, which will feature more RAM, and it will give new HIGHWAYS for homebrew to evolve. Just you wait...

goliath182
August 13th, 2007, 22:34
Well The title is right

emuking
August 13th, 2007, 22:37
it will be fullspeed........just...........believe
(watches sunset in hope)

Exophase
August 13th, 2007, 22:40
O RLY?
That's what they were saying for the custom firmware, that it won't fit in the PSP's flash and shit like that.
And that GBA emulation will never be fullspeed on the PSP. And here they are all of them.
It's just that super-genius that will come out some day to prove you all wrong.:p
Barriers are made to be broken.
And just you wait for the slim PSP, which will feature more RAM, and it will give new HIGHWAYS for homebrew to evolve. Just you wait...

Please hold your breath.

ab88
August 13th, 2007, 22:49
Expect whines

You can see the future lol
:mad: why: if this will never be full speed then why is someone working on it

O RLY?

YA RLY:cool:

Shadowblind
August 13th, 2007, 23:00
Well you did give slightly more effort than the original porter, and you make it clear that it's not going to ever be any good so props for that. But I still have to ask just why you bothered.

Why...why,why,why....

Why did the 300 fight the Persians, although knowing they would die?

Why did the French Rebel, just to have the revolution crushed?

Why did Braveheart fight full to the death?

Heck, who knows. But I believe there may be some future to this project. Maybe(well....obviously, I guess.) not full speed, but maybe even playable. Didn't at one point we believed a GBA emu was impossible? :)

xg917
August 13th, 2007, 23:02
LMAO i read everyones posts. all haters back off. i obviously know it wont be full speed but its kool enough for me to know there is at least a ds emulator even though its useless :p

acn010
August 13th, 2007, 23:10
meh... i still believe this type of emu will go on yet not at full speed, but in a playable state

xg917
August 13th, 2007, 23:11
we will see..

Shadowblind
August 13th, 2007, 23:13
meh... i still believe this type of emu will go on yet not at full speed, but in a playable state

Thats howta think! We can't just keep whining about why it was even made.

Is it not obvious? Why is any emulator made?

To bring enjoyment, as all video games are made for. Is there another reason? To prove it can be done?

acn010
August 13th, 2007, 23:16
ha ha ha... yeah...
i want to see this emui go all the way

xg917
August 13th, 2007, 23:17
i just hate when people point out the obvious in a negative way :(

DanTheManMS
August 13th, 2007, 23:22
I just love how everyone keeps saying "didn't we used to think GBA emulation was impossible?" when the author of said GBA emulator himself states it's impossible to emulate the DS fully. In any case, it's a flawed argument, as just because you can emulate one machine doesn't mean you can emulate the other. Just because you can emulate the NES at full speed doesn't mean you can get Gamecube ISOs to run at all.

That said though, glad to see that controls are at least added. It makes it slightly more usable.

cloud_952
August 14th, 2007, 00:32
=D I'd just love to know why all these people keep saying "<_< it WILL be full speed. KTHXBYE!!!"

Assuming it could run fullspeed (I'm betting on 'no').. it doesn't have a touch screen, and it's awkward to hold. o_O Why would you even WANT to play DS games on this?

Sir_Voe
August 14th, 2007, 00:43
I demand someone make a worthless PSP emu for the DS now. Just something to get us to the title screen so we can say "see, someday we might be playin God Of War on the DS":rofl:

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 01:12
I demand someone make a worthless PSP emu for the DS now. Just something to get us to the title screen so we can say "see, someday we might be playin God Of War on the DS":rofl:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/funny_owl_07.jpg

in your dreams lmao!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mikeb
August 14th, 2007, 01:15
you never know loco roco doesnt look so hard to port to ds....

Gizmo356
August 14th, 2007, 01:28
you never know loco roco doesnt look so hard to port to ds....

You can't port loco roco with ought the source code.

And to the people who said that GBA emu's were thought to be impossible the reason people thought that was because everyone was porting emu's until Exophase came in and did one from scratch.

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 01:45
loco roco wouldve been a better game on the DS

DPyro
August 14th, 2007, 02:04
Now just flip the screen and maybe it might be worth looking at.

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 02:20
u should read what psmonkey said on this thread in the psp news forum

DanTheManMS
August 14th, 2007, 02:21
Wait, why did this get copied to the DS section? The first several posts are in both threads, with subsequent replies split between the two threads. Kinda confusing really.

kcajblue
August 14th, 2007, 02:37
Wait, why did this get copied to the DS section? The first several posts are in both threads, with subsequent replies split between the two threads. Kinda confusing really.i was wondering why this was in the ds section too.
but i guess it deals with ds stuff but its not really for the ds.

Kulawend
August 14th, 2007, 02:41
Full speed or not, all of these coders deserve mad props for their hard work. Be a little more thankful that these guys put in all this time and energy. There would be none of this if it wasn't thanks for them.

Kulawend
August 14th, 2007, 02:45
Wait, why did this get copied to the DS section? The first several posts are in both threads, with subsequent replies split between the two threads. Kinda confusing really.

I assume that at times, DCEmu staff feel news is important enough to post in multiple places.

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 02:52
words from: PSMonkey :)

Ok, time for me to give my two cents.

Discussion on NDS emulation is getting a little retarded so I though my two cents might be of some use.

I get what Exophase is saying and where he is going with things but I don't think it's worth hampering the hopese of NDS emulation being posible on the PSP. Sure for quite a few games it wont be fun or worth doing but trutfuly alot of DS games don't require you to view both screens or use touch screen at all to play. Thies games could posibly be targetd for emulation and made to a playable state (Games like Mario 3v3, Mario 64 DS, etc...).

Anyways for a dirty port of a badly optimised emulator, the results I would say are rather hopeful. I think if someone took the time to start from scrach ans build a solid Arm-Mips recompiler, some games could very well run at a playable framerate above 30fps.

The DS is not some powerhouse, hell it's actualy pretty week. Even more so, the arm7 is not used by developers directly (its all used by the dev API which does alot of sub task on it) so most of it could probably be HLE with just the Arm9 needing emulation. Second yes there are 2 screens which means 2 2D processors but truthfuly quite a few games (mostly ones that would be playable on the psp in the first place) dont really need both screens displayed a once. So one can easly just swap between screens or emulate the 2nd display at a much lower framerate (maybe 15fps) and resize it so it's just a small window in the corner. That just leaves 1 main 2D processor (which is identical to the GBA 2D processor with very minor improvements mostly in palettes) and a 3D processor. The 3D processor also is not very complex and is rather limited in what it does. For 2D only titles you pretty much can just ignore the 3D processor. For 3D games, you will find limited use of the 2D processor for simple hud stuff, So there wont be a whole lot of intensive processing there either (with the exception to games like new super mario bros wich uses 3D for mario and the rest is 2D).

Either way, for the games that could be playable on the psp in the first place (limited to no touch screen use), you could posibly get an acceptable framerate to play them a bit (sure maybe not 60fps but 30-45fps might still be enough to play some of them).

Anyways thats just my take from my experience working on the PSP & DS comercialy.

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 03:09
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/funny_owl_07.jpg
it is possible... as i said

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 03:14
it would take a coder like psmonkey to build such an emulator ;) lol

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 03:16
if he accepts to do it.. i would be his slave for a week XD

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 03:21
i would be his slave for a year..

i was planning on getting a ds though and get one of those cards so i can play homebrew and bakups lol. and buy games that are worth buying.

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 03:25
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/funny_owl_13.jpg
lol
i have both systems, but i dont want to carry both systems on my pockets

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 03:29
its bad enough that my pants sagg but with a psp in my poket its worse. i would never carry 2 portables at once.

wiggy fuzz
August 14th, 2007, 11:49
i suppose it'd be good for people who want to see the detail in sonic rush without it flashing past too fast

Sir_Voe
August 14th, 2007, 17:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwusQ6Msnno

Seems appropriate for this topic.

Sektor
August 14th, 2007, 17:19
Why didn't my copy of Mario include an angry midget!?

koiulpoi
August 14th, 2007, 18:31
Thats howta think! We can't just keep whining about why it was even made.

Is it not obvious? Why is any emulator made?

To bring enjoyment, as all video games are made for. Is there another reason? To prove it can be done?

You must not be familiar with the MAME group at all, are you? Or familiar with emulator authors in general?

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 22:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwusQ6Msnno

Seems appropriate for this topic.

lmao... taht was good:rofl:

thefanaticgamer
August 14th, 2007, 22:31
its bad enough that my pants sagg but with a psp in my poket its worse. i would never carry 2 portables at once.

you could always do what I do and just carry around a fashionable "man-bag"....

xg917
August 14th, 2007, 22:39
man bag? lol

iceman100
August 15th, 2007, 05:25
This is funny why would anyone that has a psp want to boast about playing nintendo games on it? are they that desperate to play something, and i though the said nintendo games suck?

xg917
August 15th, 2007, 05:33
i dont remember saying nintendo games suck. no im not desperate. im thinking on getting a DS actually.
and im sure you would go crazy if you found out that you could play psp games on your DS.

Thanatos 2.0
August 15th, 2007, 16:02
lol I'm thinking that most of the games carry around Touchscreen features at some point (and won't start unless you can touch it)

Pokemon is one of them, take of Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow(requires some trivial touching)

so all in all many many games will be unable to play if it ever gets to be full speed.

iceman100
August 18th, 2007, 05:47
im sure you would go crazy if you found out that you could play psp games on your DS.

ummm no that's what my psx emulator is for.

bigleak2
August 18th, 2007, 13:07
i would go crazy if i could play psp games on ds, I dont care how slow it is :D .