PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft: PS3 Can't Do A.I.!

Elven6
August 14th, 2007, 16:12
So, Conviction is confirmed for PC and Xbox 360. But what about the other consoles? Double Agent was a 360 exclusive for a whole week. On this issue, Danny could give us a firm answer. “It’s NEVER gonna come out on the PS3 or the Wii.” It’s a logical decision. Nintendo’s console simply doesn’t have the graphical horsepower, and he candidly told us how the PS3 can’t handle AI nearly as well as the 360.

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/PREVIEWS/PREVIEWGAME/tabid/1484/Default.aspx?CID=bb1443ed-30f8-4eb2-b212-8926111caf49&v7Pager=3

Im guessing they say this because they are crippled by only 256MB of ram on both.

end3rbr0
August 14th, 2007, 17:24
Bologna! Ubi Soft are just a bunch of cheap bastards like EA. They don't bother to spend the extra cash on learning how to develop for PS3 properly. Thats why we get second rate games from Ubi and EA on PS3.
The 512 mb of ram in the xbox 360 is not dedicated. It is shared with the graphics processor. In total it has the same amount of ram as PS3, accept PS3 has it in 2 dedicated segments, 256 mb for system ram, 256 mb for video ram. Ubi and EA have not learned how to code for the cell processor properly and so, have had to rely on only the power of RSX chip. Maybe someday us PS3 owners will stop getting shafted by companies trying to save a buck.

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 20:53
wtf?!?!?!?!
but me likey the ps3.... tell me it can handle a.i good!!!!!

jdnation
August 14th, 2007, 21:47
More likely the PS3 can do it, they've concentrated their game on taking full advantage of the 360 hardware, but porting it to PS3 will be too much of a pain in the ass. It what happens when you do an exclusive game and COnviction will be all the better because of it.

But it's alright, MGS4 is exclusively making use of the PS3 and the split RAM on RSX and CELL and it will never be on the 360. And MGS is the game Splinter Cell wishes it could be.

jerrt
August 14th, 2007, 22:05
someone asked about this in the playstation blog and it was actually commented on

Dave Karraker | August 13th, 2007 at 9:52 pm

@Free — PS3 can more than handle AI, as you will see with Heavenly Sword, which has hundreds of on-screen enemies with different AI routines at one time thanks to the power of CELL.

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 22:09
someone asked about this in the playstation blog and it was actually commented on

Dave Karraker | August 13th, 2007 at 9:52 pm

@Free — PS3 can more than handle AI, as you will see with Heavenly Sword, which has hundreds of on-screen enemies with different AI routines at one time thanks to the power of CELL.

:D great.... im glad.... if it wasnt....it would be a waist of money

JKKDARK
August 14th, 2007, 23:28
Yeah the PS3 shouldn't get these good games :D

RunawayPrisoner
August 15th, 2007, 00:35
Ubisoft and EA are more lazy... than cheap. :p Oh, and you may also add Activision to the list. There are some companies who don't want to spend their time on new things... and they just want to get as much money as possible.

mcdougall57
August 15th, 2007, 01:07
Yeah the PS3 shouldn't get these good games :D

i second that

end3rbr0
August 15th, 2007, 02:49
Wrong....the Ps3 should get all the great games....
more power, more disk space(the game medium, not the hdd)more features, not to mention the hardware itself is going to outlive the 360. In 2 years the Ps3 is going to be in full swing, with games so amazing the 360 community will crumble to the point that Microsoft will have to release another shitty console that breaks down all the time. I give 360 a 5 year life cycle from start to finish, where as the Ps3 will be around 10 years from start to finish. That means the Ps3 will still be king 6 years after the 360 is dead and burried. Watch for Ubi Soft and EA losing alot of fan support for not releasing quality titles to it's loyal Playstation fans who have been there to support them through the years. Only to get shit on because these companies like EA, Ubi, Activision, 2K Games and Epic to name a few.-(although, Epic are at least cleaning up their act and making an effort to optimize their development for Ps3)-Care more about a dollar, then they do about the people who buy their products.

10shu
August 15th, 2007, 13:46
Jeezzz ...how old are u guys???
get real...the cell is a mathematic processor. it s very powerfull for physic and thing of this nature... but less efficiant on stuf like IA that use variable<instead of math>...

That do not mean the ps3 cannot do IA, just less efficiant than the 360 at it.
like the 360 can handle physic in game but probably not as good as the ps3 can...

And If company like EA or Ubi do not spend more money on ps3 devellopement it s because ps3 game do not sell enough yet...just look at the sell number for rainbow6, darkness, fightnight, etc... they sold a lot more on the 360. too few peoples own a ps3.

RicardoG
August 15th, 2007, 14:18
Who needs Splinter Cell anyway?
Anytime they do a Splinter Cell game it comes REALLY BAD for the PS2 or PS3, its like we Playstation users always get something bad and guys know WHY!?
I can almost bet that the reason for this is because WE GET A PORT OF A XBOX GAME THATS WHY!!!
So don't go saying that the PS3 can't handle A.I., try to do a Splinter Cell from the root up for the PS3.

end3rbr0
August 15th, 2007, 19:45
the cell is a mathematic processor. its very powerfull for physic and thing of this nature... but less efficiant on stuf like IA that use variable<instead of math>...

That do not mean the ps3 cannot do IA, just less efficiant than the 360 at it.
like the 360 can handle physic in game but probably not as good as the ps3 can...

Yo man, you can't even abbreviate Artificial Intelligence properly. The fact that you call the Cell BE a mathematic processor means you don't know what the f*** you are talking about. The simple fact of the matter, is that these lazy developers don't care enough about their products or their customers to make games properly for the Ps3, which is much more powerful and capable. It's easy for those bastards to say it isn't capable of AI instead of admitting they are to lazy and or stupid to figure out how to code for it properly. Go check out what Infinity Ward is doing with COD4 for Ps3. Those guys are real developers, that care about their games and it shows in all their past products. They aren't porting the 360 version, they are coding from the ground up for Ps3. They actually took time out of their schedule to fully port COD2 to Ps3(which we will never see)just so they could understand the system a little better. So when COD4 comes out in full HD at 60 FPS on Ps3, try telling anyone that it's a hardware limitation instead of developer laziness then.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=19765

Elven6
August 16th, 2007, 16:14
Wrong....the Ps3 should get all the great games....
more power, more disk space(the game medium, not the hdd)more features, not to mention the hardware itself is going to outlive the 360. In 2 years the Ps3 is going to be in full swing, with games so amazing the 360 community will crumble to the point that Microsoft will have to release another shitty console that breaks down all the time. I give 360 a 5 year life cycle from start to finish, where as the Ps3 will be around 10 years from start to finish. That means the Ps3 will still be king 6 years after the 360 is dead and burried. Watch for Ubi Soft and EA losing alot of fan support for not releasing quality titles to it's loyal Playstation fans who have been there to support them through the years. Only to get shit on because these companies like EA, Ubi, Activision, 2K Games and Epic to name a few.-(although, Epic are at least cleaning up their act and making an effort to optimize their development for Ps3)-Care more about a dollar, then they do about the people who buy their products.

Who would they rather upset? 3 million PS3 owners? Or 12 million 360 owners? Their is a huge fan base over at the 360s side, and from what Ive heard from podcasts, Microsoft works closely with their devs making the environment a bit better.

F9zDark
August 16th, 2007, 20:04
Who would they rather upset? 3 million PS3 owners? Or 12 million 360 owners? Their is a huge fan base over at the 360s side, and from what Ive heard from podcasts, Microsoft works closely with their devs making the environment a bit better.

Those numbers are inaccurate. The PS3 has sold a confirmed 4.4 million units. The 360 has sold 11 million units. As well, I'd like to point out that 360 sales are entirely bloated. With a 30% failure rate, many 360 owners have probably purchased the console twice or three times due to failing units and shitty support from Microsoft.

A 30% failure rate, at 10 million consoles means thats 3 million have failed. So in actuality the 360's sales in terms of original purchasers probably sits at about 7 - 6 million, considering that of the 3 million that have failed, users bought 1 to 2 more units as replacement.

Shadowblind
August 16th, 2007, 23:07
Its more the engine then the system. Sadly, the system cant handle the engine well. At all, apparently. Seems 360 can. Easily. Whoot.

F9zDark
August 16th, 2007, 23:39
Hmm, lets see, an engine made for PC and 360 not working properly on the PS3... Wow, never thought I'd see that day.

All your point proves is that Ubisoft doesn't want to do the extra work involved on making the engine function properly on the PS3. Had the tables been turned, anyone could give your same dumbass response about the 360 and then of course your common sense would yield the same response I came up with.

Next time, think before you act.

JKKDARK
August 17th, 2007, 00:07
Those numbers are inaccurate. The PS3 has sold a confirmed 4.4 million units. The 360 has sold 11 million units. As well, I'd like to point out that 360 sales are entirely bloated. With a 30% failure rate, many 360 owners have probably purchased the console twice or three times due to failing units and shitty support from Microsoft.

A 30% failure rate, at 10 million consoles means thats 3 million have failed. So in actuality the 360's sales in terms of original purchasers probably sits at about 7 - 6 million, considering that of the 3 million that have failed, users bought 1 to 2 more units as replacement.

Sorry but you can't prove it. I don't know any person who bought a second 360 console because the first one didn't work anymore. A normal person would send it to Microsoft and then it will be replaced, it means you are not buying another console.

Shadowblind
August 17th, 2007, 00:22
Hmm, lets see, an engine made for PC and 360 not working properly on the PS3... Wow, never thought I'd see that day.

All your point proves is that Ubisoft doesn't want to do the extra work involved on making the engine function properly on the PS3. Had the tables been turned, anyone could give your same dumbass response about the 360 and then of course your common sense would yield the same response I came up with.

Next time, think before you act.

Somehow I doubt Ubisoft's playing favorites. If that was true, then why is EA having a hard time as well? And please, no need to use obscene words. the 360 no doubt has some weakness. before it was the RROD, but since that has been long resolved, it has to have another weakness. We just haven't found one yet. Regardless, the PS3 is durable as he**. But its games, among many other things, are the problem with it.

So I doubt it. The Unreal 3 engine works fine on computer and perfect on Xbox. But like SEGA (was it Sega?) said on Final Inertia, the PS3 just has problems with it.

pibs
August 17th, 2007, 00:49
I hardly doubt it is the laziness of the developers, fanboys just have nothing better to do than to argue.

Darksaviour69
August 17th, 2007, 01:07
Just a warning guys, no fanboy fighting. The staff are watching you.

F9zDark
August 17th, 2007, 02:04
Sorry but you can't prove it. I don't know any person who bought a second 360 console because the first one didn't work anymore. A normal person would send it to Microsoft and then it will be replaced, it means you are not buying another console.

First off, my brother did buy a second Xbox360 because his wasn't covered under warranty and MShaft was charging 160 dollars to fix RROD issues... Spend half the money of a new 360 and get your unit fixed, which might break down in the same amount of time or buy a new one that has a year warranty on it...

And yes, you don't know anyone who bought a second 360 because EU mandates a 2 year warranty on all high end electronics (from what I read), unlike the US which is only 1 year (used to be 90 days...)

So I doubt it. The Unreal 3 engine works fine on computer and perfect on Xbox. But like SEGA (was it Sega?) said on Final Inertia, the PS3 just has problems with it.

From all the interviews I have read from Epic, the devs have averted the 360 entirely. So I am not even sure they began development of it yet (maybe they have, I don't know) but I imagine the 360 version will be no different in terms of engine and AI.

I will concede the PS3 is difficult to develop for because its new technology. The Cell, while having some similarities to existing chips (namely Power PC CPUs) still requires some learning of new tricks.

The fact that 1st party developers have made pretty damn good games for the PS3 and that 3rd parties keep complaining about it, means that 3rd parties just aren't as interested in spending the time necessary to develop these games.

With development costs ever rising, its no surprise that developers want to cut costs where-ever possible, coupled with a low install base (which means less profit) I can see where they are coming from.

But if they want to admit defeat so soon, and not even try to make the game work on the PS3, thats their problem.

Assassin's Creed developers had no problem making the AI work on all formats, as will Epic with UT3. So I don't truly believe that the makers of Splinter Cell even tried to make it work. They probably ported the engine over, using some quick conversion from PC/Xbox360 CPU programming to Cell programming, and when the game took a dump they said to hell with it.

Anyone on these boards could have told them that about porting.

Added:

And another thing, Rainbow Six: Vegas has no problems on the PS3. And that game is out for PC and 360 as well. And it was also developed and published by Ubisoft...

Darksaviour69
August 17th, 2007, 13:06
First off, my brother did buy a second Xbox360 because his wasn't covered under warranty and MShaft was charging 160 dollars to fix RROD issues... Spend half the money of a new 360 and get your unit fixed, which might break down in the same amount of time or buy a new one that has a year warranty on it...

And yes, you don't know anyone who bought a second 360 because EU mandates a 2 year warranty on all high end electronics (from what I read), unlike the US which is only 1 year (used to be 90 days...)

should should tell your brother about this Xbox 360 warranty extended to three years (http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/05/xbox-360-warranty-extended-to-three-years/). If you did pay for it to be fixed you can get it refunded.

also the law in the EU is 1 year (while its 90 days in the US)

Shadowblind
August 17th, 2007, 13:42
And another thing, Rainbow Six: Vegas has no problems on the PS3. And that game is out for PC and 360 as well. And it was also developed and published by Ubisoft...

Well there must be some reason as to why Rainbow six Vegas got a 8.7 on IGN and then a 9.3 for 360 on IGN. Glitches for the PS3 may be small, but still present.

F9zDark
August 17th, 2007, 18:02
should should tell your brother about this Xbox 360 warranty extended to three years (http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/05/xbox-360-warranty-extended-to-three-years/). If you did pay for it to be fixed you can get it refunded.

also the law in the EU is 1 year (while its 90 days in the US)

He got the new one a few months ago (around March I believe). I have no idea what he did with the old one, maybe he had an extended warranty from Gamestop or EB Games.

Kinda like the Disc Read Errors of the PS2. Had I known Sony would have had to replace or refund the money for fixing those PS2s, I'd have kept the unit...

Well there must be some reason as to why Rainbow six Vegas got a 8.7 on IGN and then a 9.3 for 360 on IGN. Glitches for the PS3 may be small, but still present.

I never read the IGN reviews, but from my experiencethe game was pretty solid. Granted I wasn't playing with the mindset of looking for bugs, but on the whole the gameplay wasn't affected that I can tell. *Added* Actually now that I think about it there was a bug when going into cover behind a small wall in the first level, right at the beginning. I had to restart the level, but I wasn't even a few minutes into the game at that point, so it wasn't anything major. Didn't happen the second time around though.

Mind you, the PS3 isn't even a year old yet. It will be some time before the 3rd party devs really get the hang of developing for the PS3. And Sony is trying to help them where they can (at least from what an Epic dev said in an interview).

Zin0099
August 17th, 2007, 18:59

who the hell wants to wait for their system to be repaired at microsoft which takes two weeks

take it to a game console repair have it done in 1 to 2 days

if you have one

acn010
August 17th, 2007, 19:27
who the hell wants to wait for their system to be repaired at microsoft which takes two weeks

take it to a game console repair have it done in 1 to 2 days

if you have one

me and others who are cheap and take such advantage to save up money