PDA

View Full Version : Name the Best of Handheld WiFi Games

wraggster
August 14th, 2007, 20:52
The Nintendo DS and Playstation Portable are excellent examples of why todays gaming industry is now back in the mainstream eye, even though they are 2 very different handhelds they share the delight of WiFi Gaming which for those of you who dont know what that means its the ability to play a a game online against other people from all over the world.

Its a concept that until this handheld generation didnt exist but it has transformed gaming to major new levels of enjoyment.

But enough of me rabbling, which are your favourite DS/PSP WiFi games since the birth of both the handhelds, let us know via comments.

Digg This (http://digg.com/gaming_news/What_Are_The_Best_WiFi_Games)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/What_Are_The_Best_WiFi_Games

stevo11185
August 14th, 2007, 21:04
Hmm.. hard choice. As a result i will list my top 3 (not in any order)

1) Metroid Prime - (DS) this is the closest thing to halo on the DS and the wide selection of characters and locations to play is good. the weapons are also very diverse giving the players choice.

2) Socom FireTeam Bravo 2 - (PSP) The graphics are unbelievable for a handheld. The gameplay is also as rewarding, with alot of modes available. the fact that this game is capable of have a 12 or 16 player match (not sure which one) is a great achievement. there are also many types of types of game .

3) Diddy Kong Racing DS - This could use a helping hand with the flaky wi-fi but when you do actually get into a game it is fun. it just goes to show that graphics do no always = good game. The tracks are well designed and the weapons are limited but fun.

Airdevil
August 14th, 2007, 21:15
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops..... no question there. :)

maxipower90
August 14th, 2007, 21:17
Metroid Prime Hunters - great controls, however some pricks ruin online via hacking

Mario Kart, great for a laugh but as i mentioned spoiled by the odd hacker

medal of honor (PSP) 32 player huge maps great laugh, haha the joy of taking off someones head is awsome, other than that MOH games suck

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops..... no question there. :)

i dont see how, Metal gear games are about sneaking, however its hard to sneak when the maps are two foot long

pkmaximum
August 14th, 2007, 21:20
I'm a huge huge fan of syphon filter for the PSP and I'm really looking forward to the new Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow coming out this fall.

Also I enjoy playing Metroid Prime hunters online every one in a while for the DS.

Chameleon
August 14th, 2007, 21:23
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops all the way!!!

Accordion
August 14th, 2007, 21:25
Monster Hunter
Metal Gear Solid: P.O.
Socom

yoshinatsu
August 14th, 2007, 21:25
Are we talking about Infrastructure or Ad-Hoc?
Haven't played online, I don't have a wireless router :(
But for Ad-Hoc I'd definitely say Monster Hunter Freedom, and Grand Theft Auto Liberty/Vice City Stories :p :p :p

BrooksyX
August 14th, 2007, 21:27
Im gonna have to go with Socom Fireteam Bravo 1 and 2. I am also gonna have to say Twisted Metal: Head On, For a while I would just play that game online (only psp game I had and homebrew didn't work on 1.5 yet)

PoorKingz
August 14th, 2007, 21:36
Socom series and Syphon Filter.

Great games that also support the PSP headset.

burrito
August 14th, 2007, 21:43
Socom FTB2 for PSP
Mario Kart for DS
Metroid Prime Hunters for DS

These are all great online multiplayer games.

Nnemo
August 14th, 2007, 22:00
Killzone Liberation (PSP)

Gene
August 14th, 2007, 22:05
1. Socom Fireteam Bravo *Really fun online play. every once in a while someone cheats, but it's manageable.

2. Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters *Great idea and fun online, But maximum 4 players and no headset support puts it at second place

3. Mario Kart: DS *Fun online and worldwide servers, but racing games get repetitive after a while.

fatcat04912
August 14th, 2007, 22:09
medal of honor heros

acn010
August 14th, 2007, 22:16
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is one of the greatest games i play online

yoshinatsu
August 14th, 2007, 22:31
Im gonna have to go with Socom Fireteam Bravo 1 and 2. I am also gonna have to say Twisted Metal: Head On, For a while I would just play that game online (only psp game I had and homebrew didn't work on 1.5 yet)

Oh yeah, I forgot Twisted Metal!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: SO FREAKING FUN!!!

Triv1um
August 14th, 2007, 22:38
MOH-heroes.

Don't play it anymore though.

ian h
August 14th, 2007, 22:56
mario kart ds, fight night round 3 psp, twisted metal head on. i brought socom ftb with headset just to play online but needed some code that came with psp that i threw away :-(

SpooForBrains
August 14th, 2007, 22:58
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror

However, I shall use this as a place to have a good old RANTITY-RANT-RANT.

I can't play Syphon Filter any more (the one commercial PSP game I enjoyed enough to play regularly) because ... well, let me lay it down, for anyone who hasn't had to go through this ridiculous dance.

To play any PSP game online, you have to go to www.yourgamingname.com and create an alias with which to play your games. To do this, you need to use your PSP's networking code (I forget exactly what it's called) which would have been in the box when you bought your PSP. So, at this early point, people who bought their PSP used may be s*** out of luck.

Then, Sony send out a confirmation code BY POST. You have 30 days to enter this code, or you alias gets suspended and you can't play.

I got my code, put it aside as something important I had to do (hey, I was busy playing Syphon Filter at the time) and then promptly lost it. I visited the site, requested another code be sent out. It never arrived. I have requested it again, and it still hasn't arrived. You only get three tries, and that's it.

So, I can't use my existing alias (which I spent a bunch of time levelling up). Maybe I can create another? Oh, no, you can't. One alias per network code, and that's it.

This is bloody ridiculous. There is NO NEED for this stupid dance. It's just another example of Sony's incessant need to control control control every little aspect of their product.

So, yeah. That would be my favourite game, if I could play it any more.

ian h
August 14th, 2007, 23:17
why is there any need for a network code?i have a few EA games an i must say i think they have a very good online service

cloud.x
August 14th, 2007, 23:18
mario kart ds, fight night round 3 psp, twisted metal head on. i brought socom ftb with headset just to play online but needed some code that came with psp that i threw away :-(

you need to contact sony they can give the code!
ive done that too!:)

Broadus
August 14th, 2007, 23:42
Killzone: Liberation wins in my book.
Fireteam Bravo 1 & 2 are the runner-ups because you can play matches that either have respawns or no respawns, and you can join in the middle of a game, which is a huge bonus in comparison to Syphon Filter, which is great, but requires everyone to join the game in the very beginning before it can start, which is really annoying. I can never quit a game in good conscience.
Test Drive Unlimited is really cool because it's like an MMO racing game. A lot of players can join online and drive around hawaii. Players can do single player stuff by themselves, or they can race eachother, but they don't actually have to interact, even though they're all in the same game. They take the cops out of the online mode, though.
Medal of Honor: Heroes would be awesome because it allows for 32 players online with great graphics and sound (no headset some reason), but it's so full of bugs and glitches that it's impossible to play fairly since everyone cheats. Everyone only plays the same crappy levels over and over- The bridge level, or the three capture-the-flag levels- completely ignoring all of the other well-made levels. Hopefully the sequel will fix the messed-up multiplayer (by adding team deathmatch!) and make a better single player like the other Medal of Honor games.

The only online game I ever played on the DS was Mario Kart DS, which is a great game, though the four-player online didn't really grab me, probably because I was so terrible. I'd rather just play with my friends since DSs are cheap enough for lots of people to have and you can play off of one cartridge with eight players.

Are there any PSP homebrew games that go online?

Airdevil
August 14th, 2007, 23:50
i dont see how, Metal gear games are about sneaking, however its hard to sneak when the maps are two foot long

It is possible to sneak around, youve just got to be REALLY good at it online because obviously theres no cone vision and such.

A true pro at the game doesnt go round mindlessly blasting people with guns everywhere, A pro at the game like myself plans my moves accordingly and efficiently, using stealth and quick kills (ie headshots). Which is what i believe metal gear games are about.

Cokemusic
August 15th, 2007, 00:13
I woulda said socom but hackers raped that game.

mike_jmg
August 15th, 2007, 01:15
don't take me wrong but, I don't like most of the games that can be played online.

Now, If $ony could just make an official network to play tekken DR...... (I would be able to kick so many asses, LOL)

Mostly cause I didn't understand the xlink kai thing

NeoXCS
August 15th, 2007, 01:51
I know I'm probably the only one, but I really liked playing Untold Legends with my friends. :p It was pretty entertaining.

Bigboi
August 15th, 2007, 01:56
The PSP has WiFi games?

:/

xg917
August 15th, 2007, 02:01
The PSP has WiFi games?

:/

is that a hypethetic question?

steve520
August 15th, 2007, 02:41
definantly socom fire team bravo 2 okay graphics but the booters suck. Fun to hack in the game though. But i dont like mohh its to slow and hacking is so fun in socom and also another fun game is killzone liberation very nice game its chaos

xg917
August 15th, 2007, 02:44
socom ftb2? the graphics suck for that game.. socom ftb1 had better graphics. but online play was good though.

medal of honor too. shooting 31 players is tough though :p

Iceman^2
August 15th, 2007, 03:59
The only online game that got me hooked on it was Mario Kart DS. I couldn't stop playing it! Then I just sorta stopped. Metroid Prime Hunters was exciting, but I sucked at it. I really haven't even gone online much with any of my PSP games partially because I don't own any that go online.

Broadus
August 15th, 2007, 04:04
definantly socom fire team bravo 2 okay graphics but the booters suck. Fun to hack in the game though. But i dont like mohh its to slow and hacking is so fun in socom and also another fun game is killzone liberation very nice game its chaos
It's nice to know that you like hacking on SOCOM.

It is possible to sneak around, youve just got to be REALLY good at it online because obviously theres no cone vision and such. A true pro at the game doesnt go round mindlessly blasting people with guns everywhere, A pro at the game like myself plans my moves accordingly and efficiently, using stealth and quick kills (ie headshots). Which is what i believe metal gear games are about.
Someone certainly thinks highly of themselves.

socom ftb2? the graphics suck for that game.. socom ftb1 had better graphics. but online play was good though.
medal of honor too. shooting 31 players is tough though :p
SOCOM has always been pretty ugly. The crappy control system doesn't help. The thing I like about Fireteam Bravo 2 is the character customization where you can get all kinds of gear and camo and whatnot. Also, SEALs are ninjas but Terrorists are pirates.

Apoklepz
August 15th, 2007, 04:11
MGS:PO & Monster Hunter for me....Haven't really played Socom yet, but I heard the controls suck a bit.

Mario Kart would probably be awesome if I had a DS.

Emuwise....CPS2PSP & SNES9xTYL anyday!!!

AvengedSevenfold Fan
August 15th, 2007, 05:23
i dont like any, since theres no voice. i liked mariokart DS before I gave my DS away. my little cousins house burnt to the ground and theyve always wanted a DS, and I never used it.

xg917
August 15th, 2007, 05:36
thats a sad story.. how did his house burn down?

kjetil1991
August 15th, 2007, 07:10
psp need for most wanted ds metroid prime hunters

Gizmo356
August 15th, 2007, 07:14

I can't play Syphon Filter any more (the one commercial PSP game I enjoyed enough to play regularly) because ... well, let me lay it down, for anyone who hasn't had to go through this ridiculous dance.

To play any PSP game online, you have to go to www.yourgamingname.com and create an alias with which to play your games. To do this, you need to use your PSP's networking code (I forget exactly what it's called) which would have been in the box when you bought your PSP. So, at this early point, people who bought their PSP used may be s*** out of luck.

Then, Sony send out a confirmation code BY POST. You have 30 days to enter this code, or you alias gets suspended and you can't play.

I got my code, put it aside as something important I had to do (hey, I was busy playing Syphon Filter at the time) and then promptly lost it. I visited the site, requested another code be sent out. It never arrived. I have requested it again, and it still hasn't arrived. You only get three tries, and that's it.

So, I can't use my existing alias (which I spent a bunch of time levelling up). Maybe I can create another? Oh, no, you can't. One alias per network code, and that's it.

This is bloody ridiculous. There is NO NEED for this stupid dance. It's just another example of Sony's incessant need to control control control every little aspect of their product.

So, yeah. That would be my favourite game, if I could play it any more.

Good thing its not like that in the US

jamotto
August 15th, 2007, 07:22
I would say Need for Speed Carbon.

Well, I started playing Syphon Filter again here in the last week, and I did not have to go through all that. Started infrastructure, it asked for a new username and password after that it asked for a nickname and your done.

xg917
August 15th, 2007, 07:23
lol, we r so fortunate :p

mcdougall57
August 15th, 2007, 07:35
mario kart and metrooid all the way i cant really think of any decent ones for the psp :s

zheg_pagaza
August 15th, 2007, 08:03
monster hunter freedom
killzone liberation
ratchet clank
socom ftb
medal of honor
metal gear OPS
etc.....

blakey87_1
August 15th, 2007, 09:40
Guilty Gear
Metal slug Anthology

Fun on wifi

mnuhaily22
August 15th, 2007, 09:41
Mario Kart for DS
Twisted metal for PSP
Fifa 06 for PSP (lame but fun as hell)

sourced
August 15th, 2007, 11:31
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and syphon filter.

Gold Line
August 15th, 2007, 11:45
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are the most popular wifi games as of now

Waqs
August 15th, 2007, 11:56
for psp, the best online game for me is no doubt Killzone Liberation.

xg917
August 15th, 2007, 15:34
killzone on psp sucks

Waqs
August 15th, 2007, 17:01
thats good mate.

Gold Line
August 15th, 2007, 17:07
killzone on psp sucks

Every Killzone game sucks

psychadelicious
August 15th, 2007, 21:09
tiger woods

paladinja
August 15th, 2007, 22:21
NJ's emulators RULE over ALL!!! NOW HOOK THE CPS3 YOU BRILLIANT SONOFABIATCH! (respectfully)