PDA

View Full Version : Sony: "PS3 can more than handle AI"

Shrygue
August 15th, 2007, 20:17
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170153)

Sony has responded to reports earlier this week that claimed PS3 is not able to process AI as well as 360.

The PS3-shunning statement supposedly came from a Splinter Cell: Conviction producer, who cited PS3's inferior AI processing as a reason Conviction will never be released on Sony's console.

Naturally, Sony's Dave Karraker disagrees, and has come out to rubbish these claims. "PS3 can more than handle AI," he said, "as you will see with Heavenly Sword, which has hundreds of on-screen enemies with different AI routines at one time thanks to the power of CELL."

A chaotic brawler may not have been the best example, but we find it hard to believe the PS3 has any problems with AI. But then, we don't make games.

mike03$$$
August 15th, 2007, 20:33
You Tell Em Sony! Heavenly Sword Is One Of Best A.i. Playing Games On Ps3

Microcock (NO HOMO) probably paid ubisoft to say that

DimensionT
August 15th, 2007, 20:51
You Tell Em Sony! Heavenly Sword Is One Of Best A.i. Playing Games On Ps3

Microcock (NO HOMO) probably paid ubisoft to say that

I think Assassin's Creed (ironicly a Ubisoft title) has way better A.I. then Heavenly Sword does... And it's comming out for the 360 as well.

Why would Microsoft pay Ubisoft to say that? It's common knowledge that the CELL processor takes alot more time to code for efficiently.

The complex A.I. in Splinter Cell is probably far harder to do then the hack and slash A.I. in Heavenly Sword. So it's natural for Ubi' to think it's not possible on the PS3 (though it's only due to the fact that they're not taking the time to learn how).

mcdougall57
August 15th, 2007, 20:58
who actually cares

DimensionT
August 15th, 2007, 21:21
I know I don't... I think the PS3 is crap personally. All the games that come out on the 360 and the PS3, are better on the 360. And all the games that've only come out for the PS3 suck (so far).

"Ooooh, ahhhh... The PS3 games are on blue-ray and can be 50GB big!"... With multi disk games like Blue Dragon comming out for the same price, there's not really any reason this would matter.

Sony does have a point though. Ubisoft shouldn't have said such things, as the problem is on their end (not the PS3's).

Accordion
August 15th, 2007, 21:50
I know I don't... I think the PS3 is crap personally. All the games that come out on the 360 and the PS3, are better on the 360. And all the games that've only come out for the PS3 suck (so far).

"Ooooh, ahhhh... The PS3 games are on blue-ray and can be 50GB big!"... With multi disk games like Blue Dragon comming out for the same price, there's not really any reason this would matter.

Sony does have a point though. Ubisoft shouldn't have said such things, as the problem is on their end (not the PS3's).

of course you care, why else did you post.

but your comment on all ps3 games being bad is foolish. have you actually played resistance or motorstorm? not system sellers, but great games for a solid system.

i do agree with blu-ray not being necessary for current gen gaming, but having a blu-ray movie player for my new full HD tv is great. not to mention how amazing full surround soundtracks with games is.

acn010
August 15th, 2007, 22:00
Assassin's Creed is one of another games that uses a.i and looks great...another game that uses a.i is the upcoming game MGS4

Shadowblind
August 15th, 2007, 22:08

:rofl:

Ive been wondering the blue ray thing for while now. Paying $20 extra for each game and $450 extra bucks for a blu-ray player LOL!

And um, Sony? Hate to tell you, but almost all the AI's capabilities rests on the games itself. Almost, anyway, but there is Nothing you can do better then 360, except maybe suck. Yeah, I guess you win that one. Dang....

I just finished watching an ingame video of it on IGN called "Dicing". The AI looks almost identical to Dynasty Warriors 5 in the way they move. They ARE identical in movements to Dynasty Warriors Gundam and POTC 3. For this game, I dont thing its wise to pride yourself on your AI, Sony. Especially not when 360 owners have Too Human, Postal 3 and Fable 2 on their way.

Restsitance: Why buy that when youve got--
Gears of War
BioShock
Quake 4
Lost Planet

@acn: MGS4 looks great. Truely it does. not great enough to get a PS3, but if it were out on Wii or 360 I'd havei it preordered already :D

mike03$$$
August 15th, 2007, 22:21
and did anyone see mgs4 or acutely played ressistance or motorstorm, Ps3 doesnt suck at all hardware wise ps3 is a better system than 360, 360 is a good system but as soon as these developers take lessons from sony on how make games for the cell processor then lets see what games look better on the consles

Basil Zero
August 15th, 2007, 23:33
who actually cares

thats what I was thinking as well, I just want the games xD

irongiant
August 16th, 2007, 12:09

Ive been wondering the blue ray thing for while now. Paying $20 extra for each game and $450 extra bucks for a blu-ray player LOL!

And um, Sony? Hate to tell you, but almost all the AI's capabilities rests on the games itself. Almost, anyway, but there is Nothing you can do better then 360, except maybe suck. Yeah, I guess you win that one. Dang....

I just finished watching an ingame video of it on IGN called "Dicing". The AI looks almost identical to Dynasty Warriors 5 in the way they move. They ARE identical in movements to Dynasty Warriors Gundam and POTC 3. For this game, I dont thing its wise to pride yourself on your AI, Sony. Especially not when 360 owners have Too Human, Postal 3 and Fable 2 on their way.

Restsitance: Why buy that when youve got--
Gears of War
BioShock
Quake 4
Lost Planet

@acn: MGS4 looks great. Truely it does. not great enough to get a PS3, but if it were out on Wii or 360 I'd havei it preordered already :D

Wow.. you must be at least 15 years old.

F9zDark
August 16th, 2007, 17:23

The price of a 360 and PS3 game are exactly the same... Both sell for 60 dollars. The blu-ray player was a smart move. IF you weren't such a retarded fanasshole you'd see that. PGR4 maxed out DVD. I assure you, more games will follow.

Nothing the PS3 can do better? Hmm ok, lets see:

PS3 failure rate of 0.2% from Sony.

Xbox360 failure rate of 30% from PC Gamer, NPD, Gamestop... (Need I go on?)

PS3's online service is free and isn't riddled with advertisements (Free always = better)

PS3's computing power has earned it a place in Stanford University's Folding@Home. Xbox360 was said to be negligible in the difference it would make, and that Stanford wouldn't want to be responsible for killing 360s.

Regardless of how the AI moves or acts, that was not the point of Sony's statement. Sony's point was that the Cell can handle THOUSANDS of AI routines at a time without even a stutter.

lmtlmt
August 18th, 2007, 02:37
Owned

ElRazur
August 19th, 2007, 13:02
Lol, I like F9zDark.

Yo man, i have you on my ps3 list. I hope we get to kick some arse together. I currently have TC Rainbow 6 LV, RR7, Ninja Gaiden and Tekken (on HD).

F9zDark
August 20th, 2007, 02:58
Lol, I like F9zDark.

Yo man, i have you on my ps3 list. I hope we get to kick some arse together. I currently have TC Rainbow 6 LV, RR7, Ninja Gaiden and Tekken (on HD).

I got Rainbow Six: Vegas, Resistance and COD3. I finally got a headset too. Once my internet gets all sorted out (once the second cable modem arrives and I get off wireless) I'll be able to play games online again.