PDA

View Full Version : Extreme PS3 "stress test" garners praise from Sony

wraggster
August 15th, 2007, 20:30
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/15/extreme-ps3-stress-test-garners-praise-from-sony/)

Clearly due to the current heat on Microsoft concerning the Xbox 360 RROD, disk scratching, and overheating scandals, Sony's Dave Karraker is mooning on the company's official blog over a recent PS3 Vault "stress test" called "How to kill a PS3 console" which showed the company's game system to be surprisingly resilient in the face of extreme conditions. "A lot of noise has been made recently about the reliability issues of one of our competitor's systems," Karraker said, then went on to kick some sand in Redmond's eye by adding "Did it fail? Nope. Like the Energizer Bunny, it kept going and going and going." Admittedly, the tests -- which included running games and Blu-ray movies for 108 hours in a typical "living room" environment, placing the console in a freezer van then lowering the temperature from 50 degrees to zero, and powering the PS3 in a sauna where heat increased from 100 degrees to 120 degrees over a nearly three-day session -- were quite extreme. In the end, however, the testers say besides being "extremely hot" after coming out of the sauna, the system is running fine and back in regular use. Microsoft, the ball's in your court.

Tree
August 15th, 2007, 21:56
build 4 a life time not just a year or 2

VexnadFett
August 15th, 2007, 22:49
haha doesn't even have lights to show a red ring o' death! bam! take that microjerks! just kidding, but it should get a medal in a star wars montage...

PLZKLLME0080
August 15th, 2007, 23:07
Man, that's pretty good. Another reason to get a PS3 now.

Basil Zero
August 15th, 2007, 23:34
Another positive reason to get a PS3 i suppose xD

F9zDark
August 15th, 2007, 23:41
Glad to know the PS3 is resilient. I just hope the stupid people out there don't get any stupid ideas. Like, "Hey, lets see how the PS3 does in the bath tub, while I am in it! Gaming and bathing, the greatest idea since sliced bread!"

Yeah you can see where this is headed.

DPyro
August 16th, 2007, 01:14
Glad to know the PS3 is resilient. I just hope the stupid people out there don't get any stupid ideas. Like, "Hey, lets see how the PS3 does in the bath tub, while I am in it! Gaming and bathing, the greatest idea since sliced bread!"

Yeah you can see where this is headed.

They'd certainly win the Darwin award.

rokobungi
August 16th, 2007, 01:54
0 degrees the 360 would love that! but the 120 for one of the ones without the extra heatpipe and sink the 360 would probably fail. the extra heatsink version would probably have no problem though.

F9zDark
August 16th, 2007, 07:02
120 degrees is damn near (if not spot on) with the failure point of a PC CPU. The fact that the PS3 handled this unphased....

Since 360s fail at room temperature I cannot imagine that any amount of extra heatsinks or fans would make it last in a room at 120 degrees. Mind you, room temperature plays a crucial role in the operation of electronics.

Gnopix
August 20th, 2007, 16:14
Since 360s fail at room temperature I cannot imagine that any amount of extra heatsinks or fans would make it last in a room at 120 degrees. Mind you, room temperature plays a crucial role in the operation of electronics.

Just put it into the fridge... really helps!