PDA

View Full Version : PSP download store held up by DRM

wraggster
August 15th, 2007, 21:22
via cnet (http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759715-7.html)

Fans of the PlayStation Portable (PSP) media device must continue to wait for a download store, a feature that experts have said is a must if the player is ever to launch a significant challenge to the iPod.

Sony representatives, which have been holding press gatherings in major cities in preparation for the September launch of the upgraded PSP, refused on Tuesday to set a launch date for the download store.

They did reveal that the store will launch with "short-form" games. Whether music and movies will be available at rollout is "still unclear," said John Koller, a spokesman for the PSP.

What's the holdup?

Koller said that concerns about Digital Rights Management (DRM) are part of the problem. The company is trying to find the best way to protect movies from being pirated. Sony has always been big on DRM.

British business publication The Financial Times sparked expectations about the store when it reported late last year, citing unnamed sources, that a download service would arrive by spring. Sony refused to confirm that a store was on the way until recently.

Back in 2005, when the PSP debuted, some PSP fans clamored for a download store. Many rejected Universal Movie Discs (UMD), a miniature version of the DVD created for the PSP. The format has yet to catch on with the public.

Sony's delay at offering downloads has held the PSP back, say analysts like James McQuivey, with Forrester Research. The PSP, with its high-resolution 4.3-inch screen, ability to play videogames, movies and music, should already be challenging the iPod, McQuivey told me in April.

McQuivey assessed the PSP this way: "The Sony PSP is one of the best portable entertainment media devices that anyone has come up with in years. It has a relatively big screen, plays video beautifully, has good storage and audio. It could have been the first big mobile carrier for TV shows and movies."

Instead, iPod, and not the PSP, is one of the world's most popular multi-media devices. Still, Sony is at least headed in the right direction. Another smart addition to the new PSP is a video-out cable. One of the biggest complaints among PSP fans was that they couldn't watch PSP movies or games on their TVs.

A demonstration of the video-out feature was impressive. Watching the film House of Flying Daggers, there was little resolution loss. Koller promised that downloadable movies would offer the same high quality--just as soon as they arrive.

Veskgar
August 15th, 2007, 22:07
Yeah, its been excuses, excuses, reason after reason. I'm sick of hearing it. Lets call it what it is. SONY blew it.

The PSP was released almost a year prior to the 5G iPods that play video, download TV shows, etc. etc. Sony had 10 months to take the initiative and get a head start on Apple before they released an anticipated "Video iPod".

Sure, the PSP is a remarkable portable multimedia WiFi device, but what has utilized all that? Even still today, its mostly homebrew that has utilized the PSP's full potential. There are still no commercial alternatives for a lot of the stuff people love to do with their PSP.

Furthermore, the fact that the new "PSP Slim" does'nt come with any built-in storage (iPod 5.5g now is 80GB) is example of SONY doesn't really want to expand upon the PSP's multimedia capabilities.

However, I will give SONY credit for one thing. They have always said and stood by their plan to focus mostly on GAMING when it comes to the PSP. No matter what else it can do, GAMING comes first. And now we are seeing some REALLY great games being released for the PSP.

In closing, I think there is plenty potential for the PSP brand in the future but SONY definitely failed numerous times to capitalize on some of the things that make the PSP so exciting.

- Veskgar

jak66
August 15th, 2007, 22:30
How is tv-out a smart addition? The name, PlayStation PORTABLE, says it all surely. I mean walking onto a bus with your PSP is one thing, but walking onto a bus with a PSP, portable tv and portable generator is rediculous.

(Yes, I know that tv-out is for when your not out, but don't you have consoles like the PS3 for when your at home?)

acn010
August 15th, 2007, 22:44
How is tv-out a smart addition? The name, PlayStation PORTABLE, says it all surely. I mean walking onto a bus with your PSP is one thing, but walking onto a bus with a PSP, portable tv and portable generator is rediculous.

(Yes, I know that tv-out is for when your not out, but don't you have consoles like the PS3 for when your at home?)

do you use it at home???? i do.... i want to use it on my 50" plasma tv:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

jak66
August 15th, 2007, 23:15
do you use it at home?

Not as often as now as I did when I first got it.

And yeah, I get what your saying, loads of people use their PSPs at home. I've got nothing against that, but since it's a portable device, shouldn't they focus on that aspect, rather than try to save a dying format.

Buddy4point0
August 16th, 2007, 00:36
video out is great. n a download store is good for people who pay for music n movies... because i pay for everything. *cough*

burrito
August 16th, 2007, 02:25
PSP can't compete with ipod. Ipod has 30gb or more, and the psp only supports 8gb for an extra $130.

Joe88
August 16th, 2007, 06:48
you cant compare to PSP and iPod
there 2 devices meant for different things

goliath182
August 16th, 2007, 08:28
Well make a 30 to 100gb hard drive for PSP and you will get a competitor to the iPod.

jonezybaby
August 16th, 2007, 11:47
video out is great. n a download store is good for people who pay for music n movies... because i pay for everything. *cough*

yes!! *cough*buyin movies, music etc etc is good *cough* lol