PDA

View Full Version : Mandelbrot Fractal Generator

wraggster
August 16th, 2007, 18:28
gambiting (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,4548.0.html) has posted an entry in the Neoflash Coding Comp:

http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07333/zoom2.PNG

This is my attempt to make a fast mandelbrot fractal rendering program with zoom feature.It's using fastest bruteforce rendering method,so unless someone use asembler programming or Xaos algorithm it's the fastest rendering possible for psp.This actual version has three fractal sizes: Fullscreen(480x272),medium(250x200),small(120x100) .Bigger fractal means longer rendering time.Also,you can set number of orbit checks per loop - more checks means more details and longer rendering time.Default is 100 and with this setting you can reach 60-70x zoom,with ~30sec rendering time.With 300 checks per loop you can reach as far as 500x zoom,but rendering of single zoom can take even up to 5 minutes.And yes,the zoom here is finite.With very good pc software you can reach even 10000x magnification,but this would require setting a 2000checks per loop,and then one frame would render ~2h,so I limited possible number of checks to 300. This application isn't really practical in any way,but it's really fun to watch zooming of the fractal,and seeing as it replicates itself.Also,you can impress your math teacher that your psp can do that

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Axelius
August 16th, 2007, 20:05
Oh Yeah, I like things like that. Call me a math geek, but things like that are just cool.

I wonder how many people here on the board actually know what this mandelbrot-thing is?

Hayden
August 16th, 2007, 20:19
so what does it actually do?

RunawayPrisoner
August 16th, 2007, 21:16
Generate mandelbrot fractal? <p This is not for kids under 17 years old... really... unless you are a genius. :)

gambiting
August 16th, 2007, 21:45
so what does it actually do?
Well,it does perfectly nothing,but it's just fun to watch,and is very complicated mathematically to do.According to wikipedia : In colloquial usage, a fractal is "a rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be subdivided in parts, each of which is (at least approximately) a reduced-size copy of the whole".In other words,fractal replicates itself when zoomed,to the level of infinity,but only few programs allow you to really zoom infinietly :D

Axelius
August 16th, 2007, 23:19
Yes, a fractal is as if you were pointing a camera to a TV that shows the signal from the camera, or two mirrors facing each other.

danknugz
August 16th, 2007, 23:42
hippies know what fractals are....... we see them with our eyes closed! muahahHAHAHAHAHAH

The_It
August 18th, 2007, 07:09
can you view other fractals with it? of just this one?

Art
August 18th, 2007, 08:18
Don't think so, which sort of sux.
It wouldn't have taken much more effort to make
the seed optional, cycle the colours, etc.

You'd better zoom into some detail for many
frames to prove it's not fake.

kjetil1991
August 18th, 2007, 14:22
boooring lol i hate match
but i have syndrom for it infact dyscalculi it sucks =(