PDA

View Full Version : UK Adress look-up O_o

Wilkomez
August 17th, 2007, 23:56
Hey there. Ive been messin around with map this for a while now but i still can't work out how to get the UK postcode GEOdata to work on it, it says on In7ane's map downloader that you have to...

..."To search in Map This! - enter the post code as the street address with a leading 0 (zero) and a trailing ST (eg. 0 WC1 ST for WC1 or 0 WC1A 1JB ST for WC1A 1JB) keep in mind that you need to be within 300m of the post code for reverse lookup."

Ive tried that and it doesn't work, whenever i search for a postcode it never finds it :S.
anyway any help will be appreciated thx :P :)

masc
August 18th, 2007, 00:04
You need the Geodata. Put them into the same directory as your map.

Wilkomez
August 18th, 2007, 00:36
Yup that's in the map directory, it's a 476kb file called geodata.dat, got all the postcodes which i Downloaded using the map downloader tool. The search still doesn't find any postcodes, just tested it in 5.00 :(

in7ane
August 18th, 2007, 11:42
Wilkomez, the UK geodata was a bit of a test - let me take a look at it again and I'll try and post an update in the next couple of days.

Wilkomez
August 18th, 2007, 12:30
:o thx for the quick response!

Ive just tried your new version 0.5b but it doesn't appear you've added anything to the UK postcode apart from when i compile i click the compile the geodata it appears to be a smaller file =P
Have you got a changelog for this new version? :D
ive had no problems with the rest of the prog though!

I'm thinking wouldn't it be much easier and better for us british if Densika implements UK postcode search into the address lookup?? I know it would be a pain to release a 5.001 version just for this but not everyone is American who enjoys using this program!! :P

Edit: Ohh just read your post in the news forum and seen the changes! it would be fantastic to have the UK postcodes working though don't work on it purely cause I said :P it's not like your getting payed for this amazing work!

in7ane
August 20th, 2007, 11:34
Wilkomez, try http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.5.01a.zip and for now search for 1 post code (eg. 1 EC4Y) as there is a bug affecting subsequent wide searches.

What went wrong: single zip center was falling outside of the map area, it's now split by the first part of the postcode.

Wilkomez
August 20th, 2007, 14:33
Fantastic, that method now works! Although when i tried my post code "1 FY8 5JH" or any other postcode that isn't in the geodata.dat it crashes the program (some cool red block appears above the text input) =P but anyway thx alot for the fix =) btw any methods of getting UK street name GEOdata for this? or is that totally out of the question? :o

yonasz
August 24th, 2007, 19:47
I cant download geodata (postcodes) for uk :
step1 select map ok
step2 combine the data - i have some error
step 3 nothing in the grip
Only refresh working i have wait and then done..

Giskard_Reventlov
August 24th, 2007, 20:38
Wilkomez, try http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.5.01a.zip and for now search for 1 post code (eg. 1 EC4Y) as there is a bug affecting subsequent wide searches.

What went wrong: single zip center was falling outside of the map area, it's now split by the first part of the postcode.
Cheers..that search option works fine, mine does not crash when an invalid postcode is entered it just states that nothing is found. (m33-2)

Q.Is there a way we can use the "Custom .CSV" to input "Long, Lat, Street_Name, Postcode" in any order? as this would give the option to search on both the Street Name and the Postcode. These seem to be the 4 Key fields the UK needs.
The reason being is that I have both the Post Code & Street Name data for my City but can only get the postcode input with Lat/Long via the programme using the uk.pc.ll.csv file.
I do have a method for individuals to get there own data for both the postcodes & then to acquire the Lat/Long for these. I just need to make sure we are ok with the right data in the right format to get the geodata we require.

This would be a Biggie for all UK users so any help would be appreciated.

Wilkomez
August 24th, 2007, 22:57
Strange that im on the same firmware as u but it crashes, have u tried loads of invalid postcodes? try that one i posted. Where did ya get those Street names from? I'd love some street names for the North West =P I have a navman f20 there must be some way of ripping that up? :D

Giskard_Reventlov
August 25th, 2007, 08:33
Hi Wilkomez,
your postcode does crash my system. It appears that some crash & some don`t..strange!.
The street names are relatively easy, just find yourself a nice House Price Comparison Web Site, the one I have gives all the outer postcodes with a list of the inner codes by street names in alphabetical order. Just work your way through grabbing the data.
The data comes in the format "Street Name (HU5 3SS)" so a little jigging with a formula in excel is needed to extract the Streetname & postcode but I have the formula for that also.
I have a Spreadsheet set up with the postcode data I acquired & a VBA script that goes & gets the Lat/Long for each postcode automatically from Streetmap.
Of course these are all copyrighted materials from both sites so I am a bit edgy about posting the sites. If you PM me I will drop you the links,formula & the VBA script.

hope In7ane can help with getting the data into a geodata.dat file in the right order for us to use.

:)