PDA

View Full Version : fake users

quzar
June 24th, 2005, 22:57
Idling about I decided to take a look at the userlist and i found an interesting discrepancy. About half of the forum members (somewhere between 1000 and 1200 of them) seem to be botted fakes. It's not unusual for a forum to have quite a few 0 post users, but here there are over 1000 0 post users, who all are registered as having an ICQ account, the forums as their homepage, november 30th as their birthday, and last posted on January 1st 1970. On top of that, most of their usernames are complete gibberish.

Same thing happened at DCemulation, with about half the users being fake (15000 users all joined on the same day), and I thought I would bring this to peoples attentions to get some sort of explaination or maybe an admin to delete the accounts. Oh, and it may be partially related to the forums moving, but there are more that happened after the forums moved.

Zherae
June 24th, 2005, 23:53
Strange but I think its just a bug.

curt_grymala
June 26th, 2005, 03:41
Same thing happened at DCemulation, with about half the users being fake (15000 users all joined on the same day)

Actually, I believe the admins decided that those were all accounts from the old forums, as their join date was the day that the forums were apparently converted from the old format to phpBB.

I have a feeling something similar may have happened here.

FrierTuck
June 26th, 2005, 17:51
oh i miss the old forum format, the one from befor christmas, and then it changed and i was like WHAT, but ya that is weird, where did all those people come from, and if they are botted, whats the point

Saoshyant
June 26th, 2005, 18:13
vBulletin does not offer the same kind of protection against bots as latest phpBB systems do. I think if the admin had some spare time, he could try deleting all or part of those accounts as they are just making the data base bigger, which may cause performance problems in the future.

quzar
June 26th, 2005, 20:15
Actually, I believe the admins decided that those were all accounts from the old forums, as their join date was the day that the forums were apparently converted from the old format to phpBB.

I have a feeling something similar may have happened here.

all the 15000 joined on the same day in (i think) march of 04. They had garbage names too, I assumed it was some sort of spam attack/mass register.