PDA

View Full Version : Metareview -- BioShock (Xbox 360, PC)

wraggster
August 19th, 2007, 11:13
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/18/metareview-bioshock-xbox-360-pc/)

It would be an understatement to suggest interest in BioShock is hitting critical mass. We've personally lost a few writers on staff who took advantage of the Toys R Us deal earlier this week to the city of Rapture. Furthermore, we'd have lost our own editor Mr. Grant if his Xbox 360 hadn't gone belly-up ... he's seething. The reviews for BioShock are flowing in and they've been overwhelmingly positive. It's going to be an early holiday season for Irrational Games 2K Boston. Now the game just needs to sell well.

Game Informer (100/100): "Even if you play games strictly for the difficulty that they bring, BioShock is a title that needs to be played, simply because you will never look at an FPS the same way again. Of the 15 to 20 hours of gameplay that it delivers, there isn't a second wasted. Once you finish the game, there's little chance that you'll take it out before playing it again to see the second ending."
IGN (97/100): "To call this game simply a first-person shooter, a game that successfully fuses gameplay and narrative, is really doing it a disservice. This game is a beacon. It's one of those monumental experiences you'll never forget, and the benchmark against which games for years to come will, and indeed must, be measured."
1UP (100/100): "The sounds of the vending machines, the demented rants of a housewife who has long lost her sanity, the ability to craft your own ammunition, the level design based on some beloved touchstones of horror (medical experimentation, a garden of evil, the performing arts), the optional photography research, the color palette, the scratchy rendition of "Beyond the Sea," the fire and lighting and water effects...everything is in its right place."
And just for something numerically different...

Xbox World 360 Magazine UK (94/100): "Criticisms? There are a few. The non-replenishable nature of Bioshock's many resources mean that poor players are often punished by the game becoming even harder. And the weird way that enemy health doesn't reset after you die means that if you're blessed with the kind of robo-endurance usually required for Boxing Day family get-togethers, you could hypothetically kill a Big Daddy with your wrench, if you had the time."

gdf
August 19th, 2007, 20:46
wow, can't wait for this game.

BrooksyX
August 19th, 2007, 23:36
I played the demo and I must say it was pretty sick. I can't wait to get my hands on the full version.

benn
August 22nd, 2007, 20:00
i been playing it for about a week and this game is friggin unbelievably awesome.
i was not major excited and then i played the demo. then i played the retail US version before launch.
there are times that you consciously have to remeber to breath. the fighting is intense (way more than Condemned even) and the graphics are soooooo lush.
and the soundtrack.
and... oh i could go on. just buy it when it comes out!

Shadowblind
August 23rd, 2007, 13:35
I managed to kill a Big Daddy with a wrench :P (he was actually stuck on top of another big daddy, a 2-fer-1; didnt have the little sister with him though...)

Sonicboy 101
August 23rd, 2007, 13:44
Awww man this game sounds sooo good. Too bad I don't have a 360

gdf
August 23rd, 2007, 16:10
get a 360 then!

save up your pennies.