PDA

View Full Version : NES.app v0.58 - Nes Emulator for iPhone

wraggster
August 19th, 2007, 11:23
Nervegas (http://iphone.natetrue.com/nesapp/) has released a new version of his Nes Emulator for the iPhone:

NES.app uses the popular InfoNES emulation core to mimic the 6502 processor in a Nintendo Entertainment System, allowing you to play ROM dumps of games designed for the NES console. ROM dumps are files containing the dumped instruction code from a physical cartridge. In many cases, you are legally entitled to posess a ROM dump of any game that you presently own. ROM images for NES are widely available online, or with the appropriate hardware, you can dump them yourself directly from the cartridge.

NES.app started as a fork based on the same original code as iPhoneNES, but has been completely rewritten to run very fast, and with many additional features such as sound, game genie, saved games, and full screen support.

0.55 [nervegas] Minor speedups for game genie
[nervegas] Fixed bugs related to preferences being reset
(Occured if the preference had not been drawn when exited)
0.56 [nervegas] Replaced "All Games / Saved Games" button with disclosure
[nervegas] Sped up preferences scrolling by precaching values
0.57 [nervegas] Refresh "Saved Games" browser when new game is saved
0.58 [nervegas] Implemented "true" multitouch using gesture API, fixed issues
[nervegas] Removed diagonl direction hotspots, made controls harder

Download Here (http://iphone.natetrue.com/nesapp/files/NESapp-0.58.tar.gz)

JKKDARK
August 19th, 2007, 19:02
the iPhone is getting a lot of homebrew. This handheld is being big with all these emulators. I'¡m sure we will see full speed on these 8-16 bit emulators:)

x999x
August 20th, 2007, 02:39
Well, the NES emulator is already full speed on most games already. You only really need to enable a frameskip on Punchout or when you have Game Genie codes enabled. Maybe NervGas will sort that out and it will just "always" run full speed, which would be cool.

This new controller update really makes the control method work a lot better. It feels good, even without tactile feedback. I've moved quite a few games back onto my iPhone now, because Multi-touch is really working well.

:thumbup:

gr42178
August 20th, 2007, 17:00
I dont have an I phone yet, will be gettign one soon. Is it easy to install this emulator? Is the firmware of the Iphone an issue like on the PSP?

x999x
August 21st, 2007, 00:19
I dont have an I phone yet, will be gettign one soon. Is it easy to install this emulator? Is the firmware of the Iphone an issue like on the PSP?

The Mod process is pretty quick, about 10 minutes from stock phone to one that is playing NES games.

The terminology for this process is "Jailbreak"-ing your iPhone. You are getting it out of "Jail" by enabling it to interface through a DOS prompt.

From there you install an SSH server onto the iPhone. I'm on a PC, and this was as simple as double clicking a BAT file. It sounds hard, but it wasn't at all, I just wanted to point that out since SSH sounds like pretty heavy stuff.

After you install the SSH server on it, you can log in via WinSCP and copy files to your applications folder. It's structure is similar to a Unix box, with /var/root etc.

What I recommend is installing the "Installer" application and "Launcher" applications first. Installer will allow you to download and install applications right on the iPhone, without ever needing to touch WinSCP again. Installer can install, update and delete applications.

Launcher will allow you to access the extra programs that extend beyond the iPhones default springboard view.

Lastly, install the Community sources from Installer, find NES, install it and you're good to go. FYI you will need to WinSCP in your Roms, but once that's done you're all set.

You can get the latest install files for your favorite iPhone applications right through Installer as the are updated. It's very awesome.

-------

Last thing to mention, about the whole 'Jailbreaking". As of now, there has been only 1 firmware update, and like the PSPs, they always change stuff up, and remove any of your mods you had installed.

Basically if you had your iPhone modded and then updated t o the current firmware, it set you back to factory defaults. From this point, you just extract the firmware files to your jailbreak folder and rejailbreak your phone. This applies to all iPhones, premodded and unmodded 1.0.1. They can all be jailbroken.

Now here's the most interesting part about the modding aspect of the iPhone, the Jailbreak exe has never been updated to address the 1.0.1 update... It's the same as it was when it was released, Apple did not remove the hooks Jailbreak uses to do it's magic.

Imagine if Dark_Alex could just patch a PSP firmware update using his existing code from the last update without updating his code at all. That's what Apple basically did for the iPhone modders.

This is highly speculative, but it is inferred that Apple's current blind eye is simply to see which direction the community is heading, and head that off with their own branded solutions on the mainstream front.

Whatever the case may be, I'm pleased that the community has grown so quickly and that Apple has not taken a hard line approach at stopping it.

gr42178
August 21st, 2007, 14:01
The Mod process is pretty quick, about 10 minutes from stock phone to one that is playing NES games.

The terminology for this process is "Jailbreak"-ing your iPhone. You are getting it out of "Jail" by enabling it to interface through a DOS prompt.

From there you install an SSH server onto the iPhone. I'm on a PC, and this was as simple as double clicking a BAT file. It sounds hard, but it wasn't at all, I just wanted to point that out since SSH sounds like pretty heavy stuff.

After you install the SSH server on it, you can log in via WinSCP and copy files to your applications folder. It's structure is similar to a Unix box, with /var/root etc.

What I recommend is installing the "Installer" application and "Launcher" applications first. Installer will allow you to download and install applications right on the iPhone, without ever needing to touch WinSCP again. Installer can install, update and delete applications.

Launcher will allow you to access the extra programs that extend beyond the iPhones default springboard view.

Lastly, install the Community sources from Installer, find NES, install it and you're good to go. FYI you will need to WinSCP in your Roms, but once that's done you're all set.

You can get the latest install files for your favorite iPhone applications right through Installer as the are updated. It's very awesome.

-------

Last thing to mention, about the whole 'Jailbreaking". As of now, there has been only 1 firmware update, and like the PSPs, they always change stuff up, and remove any of your mods you had installed.

Basically if you had your iPhone modded and then updated t o the current firmware, it set you back to factory defaults. From this point, you just extract the firmware files to your jailbreak folder and rejailbreak your phone. This applies to all iPhones, premodded and unmodded 1.0.1. They can all be jailbroken.

Now here's the most interesting part about the modding aspect of the iPhone, the Jailbreak exe has never been updated to address the 1.0.1 update... It's the same as it was when it was released, Apple did not remove the hooks Jailbreak uses to do it's magic.

Imagine if Dark_Alex could just patch a PSP firmware update using his existing code from the last update without updating his code at all. That's what Apple basically did for the iPhone modders.

This is highly speculative, but it is inferred that Apple's current blind eye is simply to see which direction the community is heading, and head that off with their own branded solutions on the mainstream front.

Whatever the case may be, I'm pleased that the community has grown so quickly and that Apple has not taken a hard line approach at stopping it.

Thank you for your thorough explanation, its a big help!

Jac1225
August 30th, 2007, 18:32
Hi, I need some help with my iphone.
I have downloaded/installed everything that is need to run the nes.app on my iphone (at least i think I have). But when I open the ness on my phone there is nothing there. I need to know what else I need to do. I have downloaded and installed the Installer, Launcher, BSD, and the SSH. Can someone help me out. I really want to get to play those great classic games!!!

LAMPRO
August 31st, 2007, 22:50
you need roms...

gr42178
September 8th, 2007, 05:46
I just got my iphone tonight. Its a V 1.0. If I jailbreak it and install the nes emulator, will i be able to upgrade it to 1.0.2? Or do they block homebrew in the new version? I dont know where to find this info so any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)