PDA

View Full Version : Certain downloadable Revolution titles to receive “a slight graphical upgrade”

wraggster
June 25th, 2005, 02:19
According to Satoru Iwata, Nintendo is currently working with a new technology that would bestow their classic games with an updated look in time for their next-gen debut. However, he did not divulge the nature of the enhancement, nor did he hint at whether the technology would be integrated into the Revolution’s hardware or be a part of the downloaded game itself. Theorists speculate that it may entail reskinning some or all of the classic games in Nintendo’s lineup, as was done for the compilation Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES (shown at bottom right). Then again, Nintendo may choose the simpler route of merely incorporating a filtering or anti-aliasing method to improve the quality of the existing graphics. Certain N64 and SNES titles could benefit greatly from a method such as this.

Moving on, Iwata also promises that the classic gameplay of each title will remain absolutely unchanged, which, after all, is what these games are really remembered for. Right?.

What’s your take on all of this? Should Nintendo not be allowed to tamper with the timeless look of their own creations, or are some classic games in dire need of a graphical overhaul in this era of dynamic shadows and spiffy particle effects? After all, was Mode 7 what really made Star Fox and F-Zero great?

CORRECTION: As Thomas was quick to point out, Star Fox’s 3D animation was provided courtesy of the in-cartridge Super FX 3D accelerator chip, not mode 7 as I insinuated. I should have said Super Mario Kart, but the fact that I was late for work dictated that this post a bit rushed. Alas, ‘tis a cruel world where blogging does not pay the bills.

Cross
July 8th, 2005, 07:54
So is it what u do thats considered blogging or all we all blogging?