PDA

View Full Version : DVD Wii Player Released

wraggster
August 19th, 2007, 17:49
Team Symbiote (http://symbiote.org/) have released a DVD player for the Wii.

First off you are going to have to have a Modchipped Wii, heres the release details:

Sorry to all the people that we had no real chance to credit, there were heaps more that worked on this but i really dont want to keep this on my computer much longer in case it goes missing forever, everyone will be correctly credited on the
next release.

...please help us make this better, if you want to help us and have skills to offer then please contact us through www.symbiote. org. Linux, C, and ASM all welcome.

LJ

P.S Tested for 10 min on single layer and dual layer with
YOASM 1.8

Instructions:

Burn with clone CD, Boot in modded wii with homebrew based mod programmed with YOASM 1.8 (I used a wii-boss). When menu comes up then the hit "z" to unmount, change disc to DVD movie and hit "start" to play.

To quote WAB yet again "code should be free!"

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Wii_Media_Player_DVD_Edition_MFE)
http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Wii_Media_Player_DVD_Edition_MFE

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments - Bring on More Homebrew for Wii :)

bandit
August 19th, 2007, 18:06
DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Wii_Media_Player_DVD_Edition_MFE)
http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Wii_Media_Player_DVD_Edition_MFE

JKKDARK
August 19th, 2007, 18:42
Nice, it's another reason to get a Wii. You will not miss your DVD movies now :)

xzero001
August 19th, 2007, 21:13
just tryed this.. it doesnt work.. the wii doesnt recognize the disc.

yes i ha ve a modded wii and yes i did everything like the instructions say.. so im gonna be the first one to say: FAKE

Harshboy
August 19th, 2007, 21:44
I find it amazing that a Wii Firmware update still hasn't included a DVD Playback function yet.

xzero001
August 19th, 2007, 22:28
well after some experimenting i managed to make it work.

what i did:

1.- Load GCOS as you would for a normal Game Cube multi disc game (i even used one of my multigames disc).

2.- When the GCOS menu shows up dont select Boot DVD, first swap out the gcos multidisc for the one with the burned symbiot files.

3.- Now select Boot DVD and it should ask you to select one of 5 files. Select the one that ends in .dol

4.-The player will run, now swap the disc with the player for the dvd you wish to see and press and hold Z with the gamecube controller.

5.- Select your movie and press A. You're ready to go.

A lot of steps just to see a damn movie.. but hey it works and its free..

Accordion
August 19th, 2007, 22:43
absolutely pointless.

ICE
August 19th, 2007, 22:43
yeah i'll just keep waiting for dvd playback to show up in wiiware..

missingnoo
August 19th, 2007, 23:14
Thanks for the file. This should be good.

DPyro
August 19th, 2007, 23:18
Nice, it's another reason to get a Wii. You will not miss your DVD movies now :)

Or I could just upscale the DVDs on my PS3...

Accordion
August 19th, 2007, 23:51
Or I could just upscale the DVDs on my PS3...

if you have DVDs then you most likely have a player?

or you could buy a new one for around £10 and save loads of money.

really what is the point of this. even if you needed to have a console which could play DVD movies, a PS2 would be cheaper and more functional… optical out dam it!

Man
August 20th, 2007, 00:40
absolutely pointless.

How do you figure ? this is pretty good that homebrewers have made a DVD player capabilitie before nintendo has put one out so shove your negativity, at least some one is trying.

if you have DVDs then you most likely have a player?

or you could buy a new one for around £10 and save loads of money.

really what is the point of this. even if you needed to have a console which could play DVD movies, a PS2 would be cheaper and more functional… optical out dam it!

it works for people who dont have DVD players, we only have one, and its in our living room, iv been looking for a player for my room for a while because i destroyed my cheap 20$ one.

ICE
August 20th, 2007, 01:20
accordion, its only pointless to people who already have a dvd player on the tv their wii is on. like me. to me its pointless.

pubjoe
August 20th, 2007, 01:28
Doesn't this make the wii just about the smallest DVD player in existence. plus it's got component out too. ...And xvid/divx via the gamecube!

Great mod. :thumbup:

...And I've lost the remote for my DVD player so I'd get use out of it. If they can write it straight to a firmware chip and avoid the need for all the disc swapping, then I'd happily throw the standalone DVD player away, for this cool slimline little dvd-playing box with a nice remote!

tanukikun
August 20th, 2007, 04:11
It'll be worth trying. I'd like to have the portability of the Wii with the option of playing DVD's too. I'm moving overseas next year and will be taking my Wii. This just means that I can leave my DVD player in the states.

Panini
August 20th, 2007, 11:28
absolutely pointless.

Yet another positive Wii comment from Accordion. lol

Out of interest what reasons do you actually still own a Wii for as your constantly bashing the system??

Accordion
August 20th, 2007, 13:24
of course i still have the Wii

my unrelenting admiration for the company wont let me sell it. im just disappointed with the current situation.

Dont take my comments as one big opinion, each post reflects the topic at hand, and having a to go to so much trouble to play a DVD on the Wii is completely pointless, no surround sound, and the cost is absurd.

Panini
August 20th, 2007, 14:24
of course i still have the Wii

my unrelenting admiration for the company wont let me sell it. im just disappointed with the current situation.

Dont take my comments as one big opinion, each post reflects the topic at hand, and having a to go to so much trouble to play a DVD on the Wii is completely pointless, no surround sound, and the cost is absurd.

I thought the idea of hackers sorting out DVD playback before (if?) Nintendo implement it on the Wii was quite good though, all be it quite long winded.

The current situation with Nintendo isn’t great but I’m going to be optimistic and hope they’ll eventually pull their finger out and sort out all of the current probs (lack of DVD playback, lack of class A games, poor pal emulation on VC games etc etc).

I apologise if I’ve taking your posts the wrong way.

Accordion
August 20th, 2007, 14:40
I apologise if I’ve taking your posts the wrong way.

no need for apologies, its all good.

Gold Line
August 20th, 2007, 14:56
DVD Player + Game Console = Stupid

A dvd player is a nice add on but nothing more, theres no need to fight about it

jak66
August 20th, 2007, 20:07
i just find it funny how this can be made when nintendo said (at one point) they need extra built-in hardware for DVD-playback

triplehelix
August 21st, 2007, 22:05
good to see one that actually works, now if someone could get it down to just one disk to preload before the actual dvd I'll use this daily.

Oh and to all the people bashing and saying how pointless this is and that they'd rather use their dvd players and ps3's... **** off.

I love how retarded people come into the homebrew community and bash everything that doesn't perfectly fit their needs. This is homebrew, made by users for users that find their software useful. DON'T bash because you don't find it useful for your personal use.

all my input ports on my tv are used up and I don't want to use a splitter which can and most likely will filter the quality. So I find this very useful and will enjoy it further when new advancements and releases are out.

So to all you ***gots out there who want to find every piece of homebrew on the net and tell everyone how useless it is to them... STFU and spare us your paragraph of stupidity, because bashing homebrew that expands the use of the console to those who want/need it is ****ing retarded.

Have a nice day, and keep the homebrew coming. I look forward to the next release!