PDA

View Full Version : psp-290 user opinion and comments?

yenracer
August 19th, 2007, 21:44
hi all,

i recently purchased the psp 290 and was wondering if other users had this problem. this has happened to me twice already and it is irritating. when i use mapthis v.5 and it locks on fine but sometimes it crashes and the psp turns off by itself? is this a bug or is my map way to big for the psp to handle. also i was considering buying the holux gpslim 240 and i was wondering do those crash and restart like the gps 290?

thanks everyone for your input and have a nice day. :D

using cfw 3.52-m33-3

nikkinguyen
August 20th, 2007, 15:44
yenracer...I have been using the psp-290 and have not had it crash much. Most of my experiences were with the 3.40oe firmware. I have upgrade t0 using the M33 releases. Do be careful when grabbing the lastest and great firmware release. It might do funny things with your application setup.

To me, the psp-290 is the best form factor setup. It is probably slower to connect than others, but I would rather have that than wires hanging everywhere (just my opinion).

hiddensphinx
August 20th, 2007, 16:19
3.40OE is working really well with Mapthis v.5 and PSP-290 (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-sc4-71-bh-49-en-84-j-70-1mij.html)

I have ran it for 80 minutes on a trip a it did not crash once!! I never lost connection to satellite and was zooming in and out many times too

AND IT WAS RAINING TOO :thumbup:
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4053/dsc00283th4.th.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00283th4.jpg)

harryohh
August 20th, 2007, 18:34
Yes mine has crashed a couple of times.When I zoom out sometimes it goes off

yenracer
August 21st, 2007, 02:20
alright cool, thanks for everyone's time and input. the psp 290 looks cool but it takes quite a while for it to lock on a satellite so i'm thinking on getting a holux gpslim 240.

Ninja_NZ
August 21st, 2007, 08:30
I've used 0.5 for 2 days now, going to and from work, so that's 4 trips all up with directions made with GMDL.

So far, 2 times out of the 4, the PSP has automatically turned itself off for no reason during the trip. I don't know if it's my PSP, bug's in the app or me using 3.40 OE-A.

Also sometimes still get the odd freeze and turn off when I first start MapThis! and attempt to load a map.

PDG
August 21st, 2007, 09:05
hi all,

i recently purchased the psp 290 and was wondering if other users had this problem. this has happened to me twice already and it is irritating. when i use mapthis v.5 and it locks on fine but sometimes it crashes and the psp turns off by itself? is this a bug or is my map way to big for the psp to handle. also i was considering buying the holux gpslim 240 and i was wondering do those crash and restart like the gps 290?

thanks everyone for your input and have a nice day. :D

using cfw 3.52-m33-3

Some plugins may cause the MapThis to lock up, try diabling it, and extract your own .prx files and you should be good to go.

Take a peek at my guides for some tips and tricks :)

nuclear_j
August 21st, 2007, 23:03
3.40OE is working really well with Mapthis v.5 and PSP-290 (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-sc4-71-bh-49-en-84-j-70-1mij.html)

I have ran it for 80 minutes on a trip a it did not crash once!! I never lost connection to satellite and was zooming in and out many times too

AND IT WAS RAINING TOO :thumbup:
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4053/dsc00283th4.th.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00283th4.jpg)

What! No night mode at night! What is the world coming to?

ruspa
August 21st, 2007, 23:28
I've got my psp290 yesterday and it works good. In the past sometimes I've driven with my Hp pavillion and a crappy-noname gps-mousem, usb (cp2102 circuit) and with Microsoft Autoroute. That was FAR MORE precise and responsive. No need of satellite locking, supersharp positioning..
But we know, psp is a TOY computer, we cannot expect too much!
Anyway, just because I'm of the kind that pretend the best out of my devices, I noticed that if you isolate somehow the psp290 and the psp (with your hands, with some cds, with a block of lead or a faraday cage... whatever haha!) satellite locking time decrease dramatically, from more than TEN minutes waiting mapthis to start working... to less than 30 seconds!!
This means that the psp emits a LOT of radio interference that the psp290 gps gets all in his .. back.
Maybe it can help putting a foil of something between, or rebuilding the plastic of the gps with metal... Just try and you'll see that if you isolate someway the two things the perfomances will increase a lot.
I'll have to try with a mini-usb cable just to have the psp290 far from the psp.
If someone got a nice solution, please post ;)

yenracer
August 22nd, 2007, 05:05
eeeeee next time try spacing when you write buddy, anywho, i think i'm gonna drop that psp 290 and get the holux gpslim 240.

the 290 freezes too damn much and with the waiting time already for the sat to lock, it pisses me off even more wen i run it and the stupid thing crashes.

deniska
August 22nd, 2007, 05:32
I've got my psp290 yesterday and it works good. In the past sometimes I've driven with my Hp pavillion and a crappy-noname gps-mousem, usb (cp2102 circuit) and with Microsoft Autoroute. That was FAR MORE precise and responsive. No need of satellite locking, supersharp positioning..
But we know, psp is a TOY computer, we cannot expect too much!
Anyway, just because I'm of the kind that pretend the best out of my devices, I noticed that if you isolate somehow the psp290 and the psp (with your hands, with some cds, with a block of lead or a faraday cage... whatever haha!) satellite locking time decrease dramatically, from more than TEN minutes waiting mapthis to start working... to less than 30 seconds!!
This means that the psp emits a LOT of radio interference that the psp290 gps gets all in his .. back.
Maybe it can help putting a foil of something between, or rebuilding the plastic of the gps with metal... Just try and you'll see that if you isolate someway the two things the perfomances will increase a lot.
I'll have to try with a mini-usb cable just to have the psp290 far from the psp.
If someone got a nice solution, please post ;)
There is a thread, covering this.. i think it's called : psp290 tips and tricks..
there is also a premade extension cable for psp-290...
imho, holux2xx sirfIII modules are much better

yenracer
August 22nd, 2007, 05:47
hey deniska, i was wondering which gpslim do you use? i was thinking of the 240?

PDG
August 22nd, 2007, 08:51
eeeeee next time try spacing when you write buddy, anywho, i think i'm gonna drop that psp 290 and get the holux gpslim 240.

the 290 freezes too damn much and with the waiting time already for the sat to lock, it pisses me off even more wen i run it and the stupid thing crashes.

If the 290 freezes its almost 100% some Plugins that does this.

Disable any plugin like Popstation etc and try again.

ruspa
August 22nd, 2007, 13:35
I've got a TA82 psp with 3.52-M33-3 with video capture plugin and that popstation plugin, the psp290 and mapthis05.. it crashed me only 1 time, when tried to zoom to the closest level (the very first time I ran the prog), then never crashed again anymore no matter zoom levels!

As I wrote, I know that the most of other gps are better ;) but psp 290 is just too good lookin (very small, white, on a ceramic white psp ... ^__^ )