PDA

View Full Version : New extension cable from pc-mobile.net

deniska
August 20th, 2007, 15:24
pc-mobile.net just came up with a new extension cable for PSP-290 GPS unit, which improves gps reception, especially for "in-car" setup.
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/usb_cable.jpg

more details and pricing @ http://pc-mobile.net/pspue1.htm

hiddensphinx
August 20th, 2007, 15:34
thats awesome news!!!

Do they ship to Australia?

nikkinguyen
August 20th, 2007, 15:47
thanks for the info. Too bad this wire does not have the screw lock. I can forsee that eventually the gps-290 will fall off (with overuse).

Airdevil
August 20th, 2007, 15:54
thanks for the info. Too bad this wire does not have the screw lock. I can forsee that eventually the gps-290 will fall off (with overuse).

Perhaps, but your hardly swinging the cable are you if its prob going to be stuck to the inside of the car someplace?

If its stuck securely im sure it would be fine.

harryohh
August 20th, 2007, 18:38
How much does it improve your reception by?The PSP-290 is poor at locking on and I would like to know does this make much of a difference?

Gene
August 20th, 2007, 19:29
Actually with the newest release of Mapthis! my 290 has found and locked to at least 4 sats, in as little as 30 seconds, indoors. so I really don't think i need a cable like this anymore.

SoCalSRH
August 20th, 2007, 21:14
Actually with the newest release of Mapthis! my 290 has found and locked to at least 4 sats, in as little as 30 seconds, indoors. so I really don't think i need a cable like this anymore.

i've noticed this too and there's no need for extra wires if ya ask me...got too many as it is.

goliath182
August 20th, 2007, 22:09
would this be compatible with the go!cam!?

Mew
August 20th, 2007, 22:59
would this be compatible with the go!cam!?

hehe I was wondering the same and I think it will work.. why not? It's the same port! :)

deniska
August 20th, 2007, 23:24
yes you an use it with the psp camera

Codaz
August 21st, 2007, 00:44
Deniska says that the cable improves the psp-290's reception a lot so let's hope this applies to all of us :)

Because psp's differ. Motherboards, versions (1000 and 1004 etc).

ae92gtz
August 23rd, 2007, 01:33
for those that run their GPS receivers with a cable, where do you usually place the receiver in the car? Do you just sit it on the dash?

Art
August 23rd, 2007, 06:18
Yes, under the windscreen is ok.

An0nJ0hn
August 29th, 2007, 06:22
Wow, I haven't been here in ages. I just got version .5 and it is stunning. I was pretty happy with the last version but now Map this is awesome.

Anyhow, to those that asked about this cables effectiveness (my homemade cable is essentially a less attractive version of this new cable) I would have to say that it is extremely effective. I lock on to way more satellites while using my cable (at times 10 or more, seriously) and it locks on faster than when not using it.

I usually lay my cable over the passenger seat's sun visor as my dash will not hold it. When I can afford to buy one of these I'll figure something better out (suction cup/s attached to cable maybe).

Assuming the Mini USB cable is the same as the one I bought from them it fits very snug and has never detached from my PSP or the PSP-290 at all. It is a very good fit.

deniska
August 29th, 2007, 06:25
got my cable from pc-mobile.net yesterday and did 2 test drives - yesterday and today.
So far, I had no problems locking on to satellites: both times it was under 1 minute, provided that the car was standing. It took a couple more minutes to get the fix (from scratch) while on the move..

Normally, if would take me ~2-3 minutes (sometimes never) to get a lock on satellites w/o the cable...

Suprisingly, the cable connectors seem to provide un-interrupted connection. This was alway a huge problem with my DYI version of this cable, which would loose connection everytime the car hits a pothole..

sleekyboy24
September 4th, 2007, 01:21
just got my extension cable for my psp290 and tested it on the long weekend and it works great.
i tried turning the gps mode on the highway it took me 5 mins. to lock in, usually take me 20 mins. to an hour just to lock in.

deniska
September 5th, 2007, 05:48
it really helps if you stand still during initial aquisition.. most portable gps chipsets suck at looking for satellites while you move..

sleekyboy24
September 5th, 2007, 23:44
i know the only thing is I always go on a long drive and i end up using my psp to play movies. I usually turn the gps on half an hour before the exit.:D

Codaz
September 12th, 2007, 13:25
Ha ! My extension cable shipped today from Hong Kong, it should arrive in a week i think.

I will post pictures and a mini review of it when i got it in my hands :)

Too bad there is no track and trace for the Netherlands available.

The cable costs me about 16 euro's. Not cheap but getting all those spare parts from all over the world will cost me much more and much more time, which i don't want to spend on it. Maybe i screw up trying to make a cable myself :D

Now it's done for me :) Pc-mobile has a little amount of readymade cables in stock so order now :)

Codaz
September 21st, 2007, 15:16
I got the cable :D

Bless PC-Mobile for the manufacturing, it works supertastic. Much and much better than PSP-290 alone.

I was in the woods yesterday between many large trees and i still got 5 bars signal, so 9 sats fixed !!

Now i only have to buy a car mount and i'm ready :)

Also a little suction cup to mount the psp290 to the windscreen.

Nieko has it too now and reports the same good results.

PDG
September 21st, 2007, 15:52
I got the cable :D
Bless PC-Mobile for the manufacturing, it works supertastic. Much and much better than PSP-290 alone.
I was in the woods yesterday between many large trees and i still got 5 bars signal, so 9 sats fixed !!
Now i only have to buy a car mount and i'm ready :)
Also a little suction cup to mount the psp290 to the windscreen.
Nieko has it too now and reports the same good results.

I got an Extentioncable from http://www.pc-mobile.net/pspgps.htm and a Holux cable for my M1000 unit and both works like a charm :thumbup:

Very good cables and fast shipping (4-7 days) and i strolgly recommend them :thumbup:

harryk
September 28th, 2007, 21:19
I'm not typically one to disagree with anyone, but I bought 2 of these cables, 1 for me and for a friend.

These cables are shit, or atleast the 2 I got are. The spring loaded positive terminal on the PSP side of the cable is either grounding out on the psp case, or is making the worst possible connection. I have to forcibly hold the cable in place in order for it to power the gps unit, as soon as I let go, the cable shifts back to 'normal' position and the GPS de-activates.

I'm pretty sure the issue is that the positive lead is not making good connection. I'd rather keep the cable than have to pay shipping to get it back, anyone think of a better idea to help the positive connection?

On a good note, the contact for the pc-mobile company did offer a refund, but I'd rather have a working cable than my money back.

:mad:
harryk

PDG
September 29th, 2007, 17:03
I'm not typically one to disagree with anyone, but I bought 2 of these cables, 1 for me and for a friend.

These cables are shit, or atleast the 2 I got are. The spring loaded positive terminal on the PSP side of the cable is either grounding out on the psp case, or is making the worst possible connection. I have to forcibly hold the cable in place in order for it to power the gps unit, as soon as I let go, the cable shifts back to 'normal' position and the GPS de-activates.

I'm pretty sure the issue is that the positive lead is not making good connection. I'd rather keep the cable than have to pay shipping to get it back, anyone think of a better idea to help the positive connection?

On a good note, the contact for the pc-mobile company did offer a refund, but I'd rather have a working cable than my money back.

harryk

Sad to hear you got a faulty cable, but just ask them if they could send you a new cable instead on money back and when you get the cable just put it in a envelope and post it back by regular mail ;)
Its not that hard or expensive :)

I havent had any problems with my cables i ordered from them at all.
But everyone makes misstakes sometimes :) Were all human after all.

deniska
September 29th, 2007, 19:27

harryk
This is the only hand made cable that they offer..
So I guess there is a possibility for human error.
Again I had no problems (yet) with mine, so perhaps, trying exchanging those cables can help...