PDA

View Full Version : Lets Not Go Down the Wrong Path - Keep Brickers Out of Homebrew

wraggster
August 20th, 2007, 18:13
Yesterdays release of the rather excellent M33 Custom Firmware was overshadowed somewhat by talk later in the day that the release itself would brick PSP Consoles who go to a certain site (not this one).

A little history lesson is needed here, one of the DS Scenes best hackers himself released a bricker some time ago that did indeed brick some consoles, the worldwide anger against the hacker was in my opinion well justified, you dont post releases to destroy others consoles, simple as that. Now he had his reasons but the quickest way to harm homebrew is to release brickers its as simple as that.

Now back to yesterdays release. I personally agree with Team M33 that the site they hate are the worst scum in the scene, they did the same in the PS2 scene too. But under no circumstances do you release anything that could brick consoles just because they visit that site.

Im sure that as a scene of Coders, Webmasters, Staff and Homebrewers we can ignore those sites who do harm to the scene but we dont want to hurt homebrewers like us.

I do hope that Team M33 and others dont take me the wrong way but theres always another way of skinning a cat :)

Thoughts Via Comments and How Would You rid the scene of the Scum Sites ?

Spread The Word (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Keep_Brickers_Out_of_Homebrew)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Keep_Brickers_Out_of_Homebrew

Sonicboy 101
August 20th, 2007, 18:17
I agree
Going against the site is all good and that, but deliberately bricking consoles is not the way to go.

ICE
August 20th, 2007, 18:19
yup they took it too far. i agree completely.

mavsman4457
August 20th, 2007, 18:21
What was the site that made it brick, sorry I missed it. Why didn't they just permanently block the site on the PSP?

thefanaticgamer
August 20th, 2007, 18:34
After all they had done for the psp scene i thought they were great, but after an act like this i cant help but lose respect for the m33 team in my mind this is even worse than just putting brickers out there.... but to gain our trust and then take advantage of that... thats low, even if it was only intended to hurt a site now it will hurt all members of the psp community who brick along with those who would one day gain our admiration... will we always have to watch our back now?

Balthasar00
August 20th, 2007, 18:35
Thats quite stupid.. It serve nobody. Even if the site concerned is bad for the scene, I won't hate them as mush as those responsible for making my psp useless premeditatedly..

zoson
August 20th, 2007, 18:37
PSP1: Upgraded to M33-3 NO PROBLEMS
PSP2: BRICKED by the very same file that upgraded PSP1.

The file was obtained HERE at dcemu. Both PSP's were running the EXACT(and I mean EXACT) configuration of software/homebrew.

Finally, I have _never_ visited the ps3 site that is so taboo here. Flat out, M33 screwed up. Big time. If the bricker did what it was supposed to do, fine. But it's not, it's hurting people who think they are safe from harm. Personally, I'll never touch another M33 piece of software again, I'm already back running 3.40OE on my surviving PSP. A $170 brick is more than enough reason for me to ignore their existence, and tell everyone their software is garbage that shouldn't be touched.

This is bullshit M33. Your firmware is great, but an intentional brick is stooping to a level lower than plaguarism.

Immitation is the highest form of flattery, M33. Learn the meaning of this saying.

Airdevil
August 20th, 2007, 18:45
Has there actually been any real reports of this actually bricking psps?

I mean, i just thought that warning was just there to scare people into not going the site, cause they hated it for some reason. Not that it was actually going to do some actual damage.

Ive never been to that site, and im not necessarily planning on ever going there. Surely some evil people would use this to their advantage and send some new scene members who dont know what they are doing that website as something to visit for a new amazing homebrew or something..... then what happens to their psps? If this was true. Unintenstional visits are not the users fault.

blackthief
August 20th, 2007, 18:50
i also updated to the latest m33 ( downloaded from this site!) and it seems that my psp is bricked, it wont load :(....someone could help me? i can go into the recovery menu, how can i unbrick my psp? i dont know where i could find help instead of this site, pls help me :(
i am just a sad homebrew user -.-

PSP-1412
August 20th, 2007, 18:56
no no way this is horrible HORRIBLE!!!!........................o well dats life

Bestwick
August 20th, 2007, 18:56
I smell bullsh1t. I have a PS3News account and visit their site every now and then. I also downloaded the new firmware from there as it I happened to be browsing at the time that the news post came through.

The result? Nothing. My PSP is now running 3.52 M33-3.

Secondly have you people actually realised what they are claiming will happen is a physical impossibility? At no time can a ZIP file i downloaded from a site EVER modify itself without my knowledge especially when the contents are NEVER EXECUTED ON THE PC, and thus have no idea of my internet browsing history.

@zoson: Yes, I'm calling bullsh1t on your story.
@M33: You are going through a lot of trouble to claim D_A's work as your exclusive property which in itself is bad enough. How about concentrating on putting out the best possible firmware for the community rather than wasting time trying to win a pissing contest against other groups also engaging in this legally-grey area (reference to your laughable legal.txt file)

Finally I pray this news post is not an attempt by DCEmu staff, who are fully aware of the above, to take a jab at PS3News. I'm not taking sides...just calling it as I see it.

LilSwish722
August 20th, 2007, 18:58
Wait...would it REALLY brick the console? And if so, how would that work?

blackthief
August 20th, 2007, 18:58
there is no chance to unbrick? o.0

Buddy4point0
August 20th, 2007, 19:02
wrag, not sure you shoulda posted this. we all feel it but its going to bring about alot of flaming and hate. also liars just looking for some attention.

The file was obtained HERE at dcemu. Both PSP's were running the EXACT(and I mean EXACT) configuration of software/homebrew.

Finally, I have _never_ visited the ps3 site that is so taboo here. Flat out, M33 screwed up. Big time. If the bricker did what it was supposed to do, fine. But it's not, it's hurting people who think they are safe from harm. Personally, I'll never touch another M33 piece of software again, I'm already back running 3.40OE on my surviving PSP. A $170 brick is more than enough reason for me to ignore their existence, and tell everyone their software is garbage that shouldn't be touched.

This is bullshit M33. Your firmware is great, but an intentional brick is stooping to a level lower than plaguarism.

Immitation is the highest form of flattery, M33. Learn the meaning of this saying.
i completely dont belive you. if youve never visited the site then it would not brick your psp. it was prolly something you did like running youselft out of flash space from flash 0.

yea m33 shouldnt have done that, im sure they'll take it out and just like block it in future realises. this is kinda like fighting fire with fire.
if you see a guy pickpocket someone, and you pull out a gun and shoot him in the face, whos the one going to jail... this is the same man.

Jelly4000
August 20th, 2007, 19:17
I am with bestwick on this one. How can the firmware file change itself when the exectutable isn't even executed on the hardware that is supposed to "detect" whether you have been on a certain site.

Bullshit methinks.

When i got it, i thought it was a joke. I'm still sure it is. People are overreacting and making up stories, or attributing random bricks to this joke.

If someone can show a video of them downloading a file being downloaded from this site, then used on a psp, then it bricking, while the same file downloaded from the same site does not brick an identical psp, then i will believe them. But that is to put it bluntly - not possible.

The ONLY way this could even be remotely true is if M33 uploaded themselves a bricking version of the file to that site, and uploaded the normal file to the other sites. But i REALLY doubt that. The "bad" file would have spread as other sites mirror it, and M33 wouldn't be stupid enough to rule that out.

cory1492
August 20th, 2007, 19:18
First (and this is aimed mainly to you Buddy4point0), EVERY time you change files on flash0 you are risking a brick, especially the more sensitive files that any CFW updater will update (and especially if you have a custom theme that uses it's own edited prx's to work). I'm sure it doesn't happen often as these things are fairly well tested, but... if you don't want to risk a brick, do like $ony says and DONT RUN UNAUTHORIZED CODE, USE OFFICIAL UPDATES ONLY. Simple, no?

blackthief: your psp is not bricked. You probably have a custom theme or something that when the updater replaced the 5 files it updates, broke it. If so, use recovery to reapply your theme, or use the /PSP/RECOVERY/eboot.pbp option to reinstall a full firmware, be it m33 or other.
------
Now, it is true. Certain data in the eboot, if modified from original content, will screw up something so 2 files will wind up corrupt from what they should be to work. The site in question is known to hex edit credits out of programs, which in this case directly affects the updater. Whoever edited it, saw the warning in license (see #2), ignored it, deleted it, then hex edited it (and likely posted it up without seeing if it would hurt anyone).

I confirmed twice yesterday with that site's edited file, it DOES brick, the only thing that was edited out was 90% of the text on the opening screen. I also posted around some md5's of the untampered with updater.
eboot.pbp
md5:B20E264B1E2042BE87EE361FE9DD8EBF
crc32:0B473377

Do I agree with hurting other people's investment while trying to protect your own and take a stand? In some ways yes, in most ways no. As I see it, there are three types this update were aimed to wake up, though...
1 - those who hex edit others work to claim it as their own (and other dirtier things besides which have hurt many)
2 - those who distribute "ready to install" packs with pics/icons changed to their own.
3 - those who aren't even slightly grateful for getting the use of (for free) likely hundreds of man hours spent in creating these hacks and testing them.

I know I for one would never want to see any other app produced with the free toolchains on an antivirus list. Brickers only justify $ony's and other's stance that homebrew should be pretty much illegal.

cyclonus002
August 20th, 2007, 19:20
WTF...? yeah...hold on, it's TALK at this point, right? or can it be confirmed?

zoson
August 20th, 2007, 19:22
wrag, not sure you shoulda posted this. we all feel it but its going to bring about alot of flaming and hate. also liars just looking for some attention.

i completely dont belive you. if youve never visited the site then it would not brick your psp. it was prolly something you did like running youselft out of flash space from flash 0.

yea m33 shouldnt have done that, im sure they'll take it out and just like block it in future realises. this is kinda like fighting fire with fire.
if you see a guy pickpocket someone, and you pull out a gun and shoot him in the face, whos the one going to jail... this is the same man.

I'll post shots tonight then. with my perfectly working clear case psp running m33-3 and my psp that turns on, and goes to a blank screen, then proceeding to do nothing.

If you look at my past postings, none of it is bs. If you read my post on this thread too, you'll see it's purely objective.

Finally, I work at a software company. I know how files and filesystems work. My point was there was no change in the file, it was bricking either randomly, or based on some other condition. Both PSP's were on M33-2 with the Applecor theme. Aside from the theme, there were no other flash0 mods.

The only thing worth noting is that one of the psp's is a ta-079 and the other is a ta-082, and it was the ta-082 that bricked.

blackthief
August 20th, 2007, 19:22
oh, much thanks ;)....i will try it, i dont know exactly how, but its good for me that u confirmed that my psp is not bricked:D

thefanaticgamer
August 20th, 2007, 19:24

i agree this thread is definately going to bring about a lot of flaming and lieing

Veskgar
August 20th, 2007, 19:24
I can't help to think that people are using this thread to cause even more scare mongering. For the most part, we are all anonymous and its not at all unlikely that fans/members of the lame site in question are coming here to spread rumors and BS.

I have come to terms with the 3.52 M33-3 release but still have minor worries. I'm already updated fine with no brick. I can understand and maybe even accept that if using an unauthorized edited version of the update, my PSP could brick.

However, once you are already updated, is there any chance that something might trigger a brick? Or is it basically, once you've updated, your good and no possible brick should ever arise?

But as I said in the previous thread, SONY is loving this. This gives them more credit for their placing such strict limits on the PSP. SONY is probably having a good time seeing all of the rumors about homebrew and CFW causing bricks.

Homebrew, especially custom firmware should be worry free like it has always been for the most part. We shouldn't need to be paranoid about certain triggers causing bricks.

John Vattic
August 20th, 2007, 19:40
It would have been better to just put a gameboot that said "ps3news sucks" or somekind of repeat voice in the firmware. Or even password the rar with "ps3news must die".

Even sony doesn't brick psp's when people steal their software.

M33 please keep up the good work, we love everything you do for us. But this was a good idea executed badly. And tragic for alot of newbies.

And i bet those ps3lamers didn't even get a brick.

cory1492
August 20th, 2007, 19:40
However, once you are already updated, is there any chance that something might trigger a brick? Or is it basically, once you've updated, your good and no possible brick should ever arise?
Seems to be the nature of the hardware, but PSP owners have had their PSP's randomly brick on official firmwares while playing a game.

John Vattic: ironically the password on the original download from m33's site is "_M33_Hate_And_Ban_Leakers_And_Thieves_333_"

scarph
August 20th, 2007, 20:00
This is awful and immoral.

I went to the "taboo site."

I had no warning that the release would brick my psp.

Luckily it did not, but for those who visit that site, and don't know of its evils, its gonna hurt people.

M.H.A.Q.S.
August 20th, 2007, 20:05
ps3news is a lame site and a sad purpose for the homebrew community. i updated to m33-3 too without hasitating, although i visit ps3news at times but the bricking part is out of question.

I hope m33-4 gets that out of the CFW. Yay to Dark_Alex, who was kind enough for the community and never let any of this bullshit get in his way, and I think this goes for all great homebrewers.

To people who think their PSP will stop working, you can simply connect the psp to the PC in recovery mode and open the memory stick in USB mode. delete the browser cache (if the rumor is true) and get teh m33-3 working again, or simple enough stay on m33-2 :D.

thefanaticgamer
August 20th, 2007, 20:07
This will even hurt people who do not go to said site.... for example I often go over my friends house and if an update comes out i will update over there because he has the files on his computer... how am i supposed to know whether or not he goes there? i dont luckily i didnt brick because i didnt update... and after this stunt im not sure if i will... i cant see myself ever supporting m33 again unless you release a public apology of sorts

gamesquest1
August 20th, 2007, 20:17
im not f'in happy abar this my disabled brothers psp has been bricked by the tw*ts that fing means the world to my bro an now its been fu*cke by sum stupid BASTA*DS who have sum issue with sum site if anybody has any way of fixin these could they please contact me he is devastated and he hasnt got enuf money to go buying a new one, if anybody would be able to fix it or would want to buy it for parts so i could try to get money to get him another one thanks ppl and i think i might just have lost faith in this wonderful homebrew scene

mauro2029
August 20th, 2007, 20:19
Shit.... a friend of mine bricked his psp apparently with this update..... Is there anything he can do??

Emeriastone
August 20th, 2007, 20:31
I absolutely agree, it's wary enough just upgrading to the next firmware and avoiding a brick, knowing that just because you've visited said website will brick your PSP is a little obsessive. I understand the scum is intolerable and I understand precautions, but if this continues to be the case I don't think I will upgrade M33's firmware anymore. Plain and simple, brickers should not be released under ANY circumstance.

Anonymous D
August 20th, 2007, 21:04
so is there actually any danger to those succesefully on the latest m33 f/w?

-Xandu-
August 20th, 2007, 21:08
Another reason to stay at Open Edition..

Thomly
August 20th, 2007, 21:28
I just upgraded from 3.40 OE to 3.52 M33 when i saw this... This is a sad day for this community. Till now, only people without honesty released brickers. Now, even custom firmware creators release brickers. M33 has my trust no more. I would like to go back to 3.40 OE, but i have one problem... how do i do that? :)

Anonymous D
August 20th, 2007, 21:31
id go back to 1.5 thern up, but rely is there any need is there an actual bricking ode in m33s f/w nothing ive seen so far prioves thier is

edit: im doing it now ill report back.
edit2:succesfully recovered back to 1.5, wow 1.5...its been a while

-Xandu-
August 20th, 2007, 21:31
I just upgraded from 3.40 OE to 3.52 M33 when i saw this... This is a sad day for this community. Till now, only people without honesty released brickers. Now, even custom firmware creators release brickers. M33 has my trust no more. I would like to go back to 3.40 OE, but i have one problem... how do i do that? :)
A bit off topic but, you can go back to 1.50 using RECOVERY and update again to 3.40.

shadow11
August 20th, 2007, 21:35
3.40 oe is the best

plus when i used their firmware i had a bad feeling
about it and it was true so i headed back to 3.40 oe

thats why i am sticking to 3.40 oe and thats it until dark alex returns i hope so

Sterist
August 20th, 2007, 21:45
yup they took it too far. i agree completely.

took it too far -- in the sense that the gun is on the wrong consoles, but the concept is straight and true.

i am with M33 fully, as well as DCEMU. i am on both sides equally and at the same time NOT neutral.

the viewers and users of those sites are just as bad for knowingly supporting their site by using it AND following their overly dictated forum rules which have been adapted to always benefit the site to the fullest under any circumstance

dcemu has a very good point, as there is definately a better way to deal with these pethetic excuses for "scene sites" but i feel that they are fully justified in what they're doing, taking into account that they DID NOT INCLUDE MALICIOUS CODE

gamefreak199101
August 20th, 2007, 21:54
ive had no problems with this upgrade and its working fine

and thanx alot to the M33 team!!

keep up the good job

nilspe_80
August 20th, 2007, 21:55
I'm curious tho.

The bricking was probably meant for ps3*** to brick their testing/development psp for whatever reason.

As i see it ps3*** probably got their psp bricked and decided to rally up trouble for m33 by deleberatly posting a bricker on their site and then hiding every evidence that the download actually bricked psp.

IMO its bad that somone includes a bricking 'feature' in any release, but then also is there any difference in bad hex editing that will dump corrupt files?

As i see it from what i read of various comments here and there it seems that ps3*** indeed deleberatly posted a bricker download, and then kept covering up comments and post on their site to get more ppl to download the bricker.

IndianCheese
August 20th, 2007, 21:58
I think I missed something...what did ps3news do again?

hodgy100
August 20th, 2007, 22:04
when the original M33 update came out i downloaded it from qj.net installed it and my psp was fine, then i saw that update thingy for homebrew wifi, so i installed that aswell, my PSP seemed fine as it then let me play games emulators ect, i then turned it off and came back to it later to find that it had bricked. this is true as i posted on these forums about it. but i got it replacd for £65 from sony and i now have 3.52 so nome more homebrew for me for a while! boo hoo!!

it seems that i was just unlucky.

thefanaticgamer
August 20th, 2007, 22:19
took it too far -- in the sense that the gun is on the wrong consoles, but the concept is straight and true.

i am with M33 fully, as well as DCEMU. i am on both sides equally and at the same time NOT neutral.

the viewers and users of those sites are just as bad for knowingly supporting their site by using it AND following their overly dictated forum rules which have been adapted to always benefit the site to the fullest under any circumstance

dcemu has a very good point, as there is definately a better way to deal with these pethetic excuses for "scene sites" but i feel that they are fully justified in what they're doing, taking into account that they DID NOT INCLUDE MALICIOUS CODE

M33 was in no way justified in doing what they did.
you can not justify them by saying the the viewers and users of those sites are bad and deserve it.... did you ever consider that maybe not everyone was aware of the doings of these sites?

not only will this effect users of this site but it will effect anyone who downloads these files from say a torrent.

and as for there being no malicious code.... youre right. putting code into a program that will permenantly brick a PSP but lies dormant until turned on isnt malicolus. especially not if you put it there being well aware that it will be turned on.

IM back!
August 20th, 2007, 22:20
brickers are allways bad. i want awnsers m33!

Emeriastone
August 20th, 2007, 22:26
After second thought, perhaps it is best to return to the Open Edition. At least there I knew where I stood with risk and all else. Perhaps I will just stay with 3.40 OE until something better comes along--or until the legend returns.

Clearly the M33 firmwares are not for everyone. If the things I am hearing are true, then M33 has become malicious and therefore should be regarded with some suspicion.

No coder or group, even those with the best intentions such as M33, should be responsible for releasing an application that could brick in any possible way. Such a thing is immoral and irresponsible and puts a dark light on the entirety of PSP homebrew and homebrew in general.

I've decided that I will boycott any release from M33 until they understand that while they are providing a great service and contribution to the homebrew community, their attempts to squash an enemy has put a number of innocents in the line of fire.

thefanaticgamer
August 20th, 2007, 22:27
i am with you in the boycott.... i want a formal apopolgy

Basil Zero
August 20th, 2007, 22:28
hmmmmmm

this is an exact reason why i'm still on 3.40 OE-A

to do something so low, thats just wrong, dont they know its regular psp users that are suffering the most 0_o

Fanjita
August 20th, 2007, 22:53
So. Let's look at some facts before we get caught up in the indignant reaction, shall we?

Bricking with that release has nothing to do with what sites you visit. That would be crazy. Simply, the code seems to rely upon integrity of the original data, with the decoding algorithm based upon that assumption. The documentation contains warnings not to mess with the code, if it is then tampered with then that does not seem to be the fault of the original author. Seems that certain sites would do well to avoid tampering with code that they don't understand.

Note that the facts above are not simple hearsay - they're based upon analysis of the code, coupled with bothering to make the effort to discuss it with the authors.

Personally, I'm not affiliated with M33 in any way, but I don't agree with vilifying them over this. The documentation contains sufficient warnings, and the sites in question have both ignored those warnings, and continued to host dangerously-modified files and to attempt to cover it up, even when they know there's a problem. Let that be an indication of their true nature and contempt for the public.

mavsman4457
August 20th, 2007, 22:59
So has someone, or will someone come out with a version of this firmware that does not include the bricker? I don't want to have any chance of bricking, even if I don't go to PS3News.

jerrt
August 20th, 2007, 23:02
making a piece of software that causes a brick intentionally is bad. no matter how you shake it.

i've heard from a few people on the post about the release of v3 that m33 had actually just made it so it detected a hex edit, which sounds like a pretty smart way to ensure quality, but it should have just outputed an error, not caused any bricks [some say it didn't brick anything, it just wouldn't load]

flashing to memory can cause bricks, sadly these truly bad flashes are now being covered in this 'sugar' coating, so no progress can be made in helping figure out any true problems.

i like the m33 firmware, and i thought about updating, but instead, i'm going to wait until this gets figured out. i want to take as few risks as possible. sorry. [i shouldn't be sorry] they can do what they feel is necessary to prevent a website that they feel has rightfully wronged them, but the public shouldn't be punished. they didn't even say anything, they just let the internet explode with allegations. now i'm not capable of following all posts on all websites that have this topic as active, but m33 shouldn't have said that by being a member of said site, or by visiting their site would cause problems unless it was true, and they told everyone the particulars up front.

even this site commented about flushing internet caches on both the pc and psp to ensure a proper flash. turns out that might not have been necessary [not that a flush is a bad thing, but if by saying it, and it not really helping, you are hurting more than you are really helping.]

i have nothing against this site [great news, fair reporting from my experiences, like to cover all angles as this post is trying to do], and i have been shown that some websites have agenda's that others do not like, but i still feel that at no time should those that these groups aim to help be punished for something they didn't directly do.

Nikolaos
August 20th, 2007, 23:05
You guys are idiots, if PSP's were really bricked because of this M33 shit it is because it was poorly coded and was not properly tested. Shame on you M33. There is no possible way to pin-point people who visit a specific site and them download a specific file or the file modify itself based on if you visited a certain site or not. Like some of the people here say, they have not visited the site and still got a bricked PSP, yet some have a PSP running the firmware on it. Conclusion......... THE FIRMWARE WAS BADLY CODED AND DID NOT TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS TO PREVENT BRICKING, this is not so user-friendly as you guys thought it would have been.

thefanaticgamer
August 20th, 2007, 23:06
a lot of people know about these site.... we simply avoid them... however a lot of people dont... m33 may have warned about tampering with their code, however some sites hosting the installer removed that warning. surely m33 knew the code would be tampered with, as sad as that is, however they still had there code protection. I am not saying the sites were right, however i am saying that they exist . m33 knew this would brick psps however they still released it. but with a warning. is it really fair to all the people who bricked that they got caught in this battler between coder and site? just because they may support a site does that mean they deserve this? its not like the site tampered with the code to make it brick, m33 made it so it would brick if anyone tried to change it then released it to the public knowing some people may download and tampered bricking version.

I am not saying it is not the sites fault, without a doubt they are to blame for a lot... all i am saying is m33 should be better than that being a coder is tough especially in homebrew people stealing your work and taking credit and not being able to deal with it but its just somthing you have to deal with you cant go and do somthing that will end up hurting the community.

dejkirkby
August 20th, 2007, 23:12
I was very vocal about this subject yesterday and my current view on it is that M33 have every right to defend their firmware from sites like ps3news, but I don't agree punishing users for going to that site, or even telling users that they can't go there.
M33, as good as their firmware is, are not the Homebrew Scene Police.
I don't say this to offend Team M33, but to let them know that they don't control the scene.
Compare this to releases by DA.
He took more shit that M33 ever has, and never retaliated like that.
Do the right thing, M33, and don't code this bricker into the next update.

Nikolaos
August 20th, 2007, 23:16
I was very vocal about this subject yesterday and my current view on it is that M33 have every right to defend their firmware from sites like ps3news, but I don't agree punishing users for going to that site, or even telling users that they can't go there.
M33, as good as their firmware is, are not the Homebrew Scene Police.
I don't say this to offend Team M33, but to let them know that they don't control the scene.
Compare this to releases by DA.
He took more shit that M33 ever has, and never retaliated like that.
Do the right thing, M33, and don't code this bricker into the next update.

Stop sugar coating the situation, what M33 did was wrong, we don't need a team of coders like them, all their respect imo is gone, we can do without them, they won't and can never replace mr dark alex. I will always stay with 3.40 OE-A, no need to get greedy because stuff like this happens, down with M33.

dejkirkby
August 20th, 2007, 23:20
Stop sugar coating the situation, what M33 did was wrong, we don't need a team of coders like them, all their respect imo is gone, we can do without them, they won't and can never replace mr dark alex. I will always stay with 3.40 OE-A, no need to get greedy because stuff like this happens, down with M33.

Woah, I aint sugar-coating anything!
Read my previous posts on this if you don't believe me!
But there are always two sides to a tale. I have read psot after post, on forum after forum on this and M33 while not being blameless, are only defending their property. I think they went about it the wrong way, but I'm not M33!

zoson
August 20th, 2007, 23:35
I have two psp's
as of yesterday, both were on 3.52 M33-2 running applecor.
neither had ANY differences in their flash other than those attributed to one psp being ta-079 and the other being ta-082.
PSP1: successfully upgraded
PSP2: with same memory stick used to upgrade PSP1 BRICKED.

nuff said. It can upgrade one psp, and then brick another on the same memory stick. there's something more broken than a mere CRC check.

xg917
August 21st, 2007, 00:00
i think u should only use the update once to avoid any problems. if u wanted to update the other psp u shouldve just transfered the update to your memory stick again. i updated my psp which was ta-082 and it updated successfully :)

zoson
August 21st, 2007, 00:03
i think u should only use the update once to avoid any problems. if u wanted to update the other psp u shouldve just transfered the update to your memory stick again. i updated my psp which was ta-082 and it updated successfully :)

I've continually updated both of my psp's using one memory stick in this fashion since dax's 3.02OE... Besides, I didn't write anything to the stick. The file should not have changed at all.

Shrygue
August 21st, 2007, 00:12
I have used the one stick with the update data to update my two PSP units. Both used the same one and had encountered no bricks from them....

pibs
August 21st, 2007, 00:57
Glad I stayed on OE. If this is true, thats pretty fvcked up, its gona take sometime for the HB community to build trust for its coders again.

linkboy
August 21st, 2007, 12:27
Fanjita is right on how the bricking code works (the actual eboot is the key and if its changed, the code kicks in).

As for M33, I partly agree with why they did it and I partly disagree.

However, in the latest release M33-4, they fixed it by making it semi-brick instead of fully brick (included with the update is the ability to recover).

I updated my PSP twice using the same update file and I had no problem (need to downgrade to fix a problem with my photo menu freezing after deleting a picture).

Potat4o
August 21st, 2007, 13:28

Exactly what happened to me, One PSP upgraded fine, the other Bricked :mad:

jxx2005
August 21st, 2007, 14:44
i'm glad i decided not to update my psp

Prasoc
August 21st, 2007, 16:09
whos to say that m33 might add a "logic bomb" to their code, so at like... dec 25 it deletes recovery.prx and vshmain.prx, or if you run a certain h/b it bricks?

oe ftw atm.

4luc42d
August 22nd, 2007, 00:15
well ive benn using dark alex's 3.40 oe and (thinking) about upgradeing to one of m33's firmwares but this is one reason i will NEVER EVER EVER use an m33 firmware id rather just buy a 2nd psp just for real games and keep my 3.40 oe for emu and hacks

murgero1
August 26th, 2007, 15:45
Go to there official site!!!! some people here like 3.50 hacker, will change files to make it brick you.