PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Modchip Coming in Memory Card Form

JKKDARK
August 21st, 2007, 03:41
via Gizmondo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/ps2-modchip-coming-in-memory-card-form-291310.php)

No longer are you forced to break open a PS2 to solder a modchip in or swap off the top for the disc switching method to play "homebrew" games on Sony's previous-gen console. The Vast memory card modchip, coming in two weeks, is a plug-and-play only device that lets you bypass the PlayStation 2's security by just sticking it into the memory card slot. The OS boots any PS2, and then launches your copied homebrew games after.

Harshboy
August 21st, 2007, 04:02
This might just give me a reason to dust off my PS2 hiding under my bed :D

SnoopKatt
August 21st, 2007, 04:06
Awesome, sounds like the best mod around since it's easier to do than a softmod and it's just as effective as a chip :)

NSCXP2005
August 21st, 2007, 09:29
I'm just wondering, will this let you play your own backups?

SnoopKatt
August 21st, 2007, 10:04
It should, if it can boot unsigned code then it should boot backups which are also unsigned code. I'm definately picking this up if it's less than $30.

ngin.small
August 21st, 2007, 12:08
this is good and bad timing at the same time. I just broke my ps2 installing a modchip but now this is coming out, it looks like i have to buy another ps2 :)

mcdougall57
August 21st, 2007, 14:18
might have 2 have a look at one of these

Balthasar00
August 21st, 2007, 15:25
compatible with pstwo models ? still I think that independence exploit combined with a fat ps2 with HDD is the best option. Playing backups harm the dvd laser quite fast and those laser optic are more and more expensive. If this Memory modchip can send me directly to the elf launcher app without using a trigger psx disc.. I may buy one! It would mean that even a old ps2 with a dead laser optic could load ps2 game with out problems! promising..

Gunnex
August 21st, 2007, 15:28
I am just about to order HDAdvance. This will definitely go with it. What's even better is the fact is I now have a DVD burner and can copy friend's games too.

Balthasar00
August 21st, 2007, 15:42
I am just about to order HDAdvance. This will definitely go with it. What's even better is the fact is I now have a DVD burner and can copy friend's games too.

Wait, you don't have to buy this, there is a free and improved version of HDloader (HD advance is only a clone of the original HDLoader). PM me if you need further information.

This memchip definitely looks good! Especially for older models of the ps2 with damaged optics or broken tray.. They are selling like 15-20 $ on ebay. According that this memchip don't need assistance of the dvd to launch himself, you could launch and elf program like elflauncher or HDloader (free version) from the Mem os with the ''launch program'' option then load ps2 game from the HDD.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1048/ps2memchipgn4.jpg

grudge1981
August 24th, 2007, 00:52
i read on another forum that this will require you to patch your backups before it will run them, not a big deal tho as patchin a ps2 game takes seconds, and if you have so many that it would cost you a fortune to reburn you prolly already have an onboard mod

Zin0099
August 24th, 2007, 06:12
want one because ps2 was on the brink of death but it cheated 3times and now the controller/memory card port doesn't work at all i guess i will buy another fat or try to fix it myself

runejayce
August 24th, 2007, 11:05
This sounds promising but I'm concerned about having to patch the backups if it's true as I have a shitload of backups and I don't want to redo them all over again as a result... If it's just a rumor, I may consider buying this device but if it's not a rumor then I'll get a modchip and a spare PS2...

carlitx
August 24th, 2007, 17:59
sweet, now to hopefully be able to buy one :P

mavsman4457
August 24th, 2007, 20:11
That would be sweet if we could use this with the memory card converter on PS3 but I'm not gonna hold my breath haha.

Llarreggub
August 31st, 2007, 18:48
I'm just praying it'll let me play imported NTSC Dual Layer games (specifically Xenosaga I) on my PAL PS2.

If it can, then this will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.