PDA

View Full Version : NeoGeo cd and Msx Emulator tutorials.

shizzle
June 25th, 2005, 13:39
A lot of people are simply ignoring these emulators befcause they are too complicated to set up. Plus loads of people ask for help and get ignored. Can some one post what needs to go where in the case of both emulators, for 1.0 and 1.5 if possible and then can it be stickyed please?

SHIM
June 25th, 2005, 15:18
Yeah I second that,,is there a playable list for neo geo cd emu???

shizzle
June 26th, 2005, 12:03
So im guessing no-one here has an fmsx emu or we are all just ignorant and would rather reminisence about posibillities of n64 emulators or 1.52 or pehaps something random about memory sitcks. This place used to help and get things done, now it's just full of n00bs who post the same thing constantly. Making decent discusions get put down and out of sight.

ArugulaZ
June 26th, 2005, 17:05
Well, it would certainly help if these emulators came with English instructions. You can't glean much from a text file full of gibberish.

I imagine that you'd need the BIOS files to run the MSX emulator. I may play around with it later today, even though the MSX computer was never my cup of tea.

JR

nexis2600
June 26th, 2005, 17:20
I'm personaly not a fan of MSX. Never got into that system really (even though its the only one with MG2).

Neo CD is my favorite atm. I just wish the author would update it with sound & 333Mhz Suport. It should be perfect then.

slayer2psp
June 26th, 2005, 17:21
ive tried every thing i know to get the neo geo cd emu to work but i cant get it to work and yes i have the cd bios but it just kicks it back to the main screen i followed the instructions but it just doesnt work for me sorry i cant help as far as getting it to work i think the the roms are the problem but cant be sure

ArugulaZ
June 26th, 2005, 17:40
Here's the scoop on fMSX. Just install it to your PSP using any KX-Exploit tool (my favorite is SeiPSPTool), then download the "MSX.ROM" BIOS from your favorite emulation site. Create a BIOS folder where fMSX resides (ms0:/PSP/GAME/MSX) and drop MSX.ROM there. You'll also need to download some games (you'll need to locate these on your own... try a Google search). Now disconnect your PSP from your computer and start fMSX as you would any other emulator.

The emulator's interface is very similar to PSP PCE's. Just highlight the menu option "ROM 1", then press O. Select the game you wish to play and press O. Now highlight the menu option "POWER" and press O. The game should begin!

Note that this is for MSX1 games only. You'll need more BIOS files for MSX2 and MSX2+ games, but I haven't yet determined which ROMs are necessary to emulate these computers. The MSX1 is a pretty weak machine; with hardware similar to the ancient ColecoVision game system. It's the MSX2 that runs the truly complex and exciting games like Metal Gear 2.

I hope that helps. And oh yeah, if anyone has any problems with the size of this post, uh, bite me.

JR

ArugulaZ
June 26th, 2005, 18:05
I'm able to get the Neo-Geo CD emulator to boot, which is a start. You've got to have the following files in the NeoGeoCD folder on your PSP:

EBOOT.PBP (well, obviously!)
STARTUP.BIN
LOADING.BMP
NEOCD.BIN
NEOCD.ZIP (this is where the CD files are placed)

Here's my problem, though. What format should I use to save the CD files? Should they be in a BIN/CUE format, or should I use ISOs, MP3s, and a table of contents like I did with PCE PSP? Nexis, it sounds like you know what you're doing... how should the Neo-Geo CD files be formatted? I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

JR

nexis2600
June 26th, 2005, 18:58
I'm able to get the Neo-Geo CD emulator to boot, which is a start. You've got to have the following files in the NeoGeoCD folder on your PSP:

EBOOT.PBP (well, obviously!)
STARTUP.BIN
LOADING.BMP
NEOCD.BIN
NEOCD.ZIP (this is where the CD files are placed)

Here's my problem, though. What format should I use to save the CD files? Should they be in a BIN/CUE format, or should I use ISOs, MP3s, and a table of contents like I did with PCE PSP? Nexis, it sounds like you know what you're doing... how should the Neo-Geo CD files be formatted? I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

JR

Simple.
Pop the Neo Geo CD into your CD Drive. Open up the CD like you would your C (hard) drive. Once there select all the files and add them to a .zip archive with no directory structure. Name that NEOCD.ZIP and put it in the NEOCD folder on your psp.

The emu does not suport CD Audio yet so ripping the music is a waste of time.

ArugulaZ
June 26th, 2005, 20:29
Thanks! I'm downloading a handful of Neo-Geo CD images right now. I'll let you know if I have any success running the games.

JR

Magician
June 26th, 2005, 21:11
I must be one of the few MSX fans still around. I've been running FMSX on my n-gage, among other devices for quite a few. For bios..

MSX1 = msx.rom
MSX2 = msx2.rom and msx2ext.rom
MSX2+ = msx2p.rom and msx2pext.rom
For disks = disk.rom
To run MSX-DOS2 = msxdos22.rom
There are other features on most Fmsx versions (like kaniji support). You'll need a seperate rom for those.
I haven't tryed the psp version since i did my msx nostaliga on the QD.

SoQb0nc5r
June 26th, 2005, 21:15
btw where u get neogeocd roms from :S

No asking for commercial roms

(wraggster)

Shannon
June 27th, 2005, 02:19
Simple.
Pop the Neo Geo CD into your CD Drive. Open up the CD like you would your C (hard) drive. Once there select all the files and add them to a .zip archive with no directory structure. Name that NEOCD.ZIP and put it in the NEOCD folder on your psp.

The emu does not suport CD Audio yet so ripping the music is a waste of time.

Wow... that's misleading. It is actually reading the files instead of an ISO image. :lol:

I'll have to give that a shot. What is really annoying about this is the only advantage of playing neogeo CD is for the audio tracks. :lol:

It's like why go to the trouble when a ROM emulator is probably more practical.

nexis2600
June 27th, 2005, 02:41
Wow... that's misleading. It is actually reading the files instead of an ISO image. :lol:

I'll have to give that a shot. What is really annoying about this is the only advantage of playing neogeo CD is for the audio tracks. :lol:

It's like why go to the trouble when a ROM emulator is probably more practical.

That was because I listed instructions for how to do it if you legaly own the game and not be a rom kiddy. :mad:

ArugulaZ
June 27th, 2005, 03:15
Oh, blah. You could always take the ISO file and burn it to disc, then take the extracted files and put them in a ZIP file. Rom junkies like myself will find this to be a minor inconvenience at best.

JR

bakwardbob
June 27th, 2005, 03:37
ArugulaZ, why don't you insult the author some more. When you turned 16 and your dad let you use his car, did you turn around and kick him in the nuts?

If you have comments like this, it is best if you keep them to yourself. What you are doing is illegal. Enough said.

BlingShyne2 TAA
June 27th, 2005, 04:13
So im guessing no-one here has an fmsx emu or we are all just ignorant and would rather reminisence about posibillities of n64 emulators or 1.52 or pehaps something random about memory sitcks. This place used to help and get things done, now it's just full of n00bs who post the same thing constantly. Making decent discusions get put down and out of sight.

Dude, I can honestly say, that 95% of your posts are just you bitching about people making repeated posts.

nexis2600
June 27th, 2005, 04:49
ArugulaZ, why don't you insult the author some more. When you turned 16 and your dad let you use his car, did you turn around and kick him in the nuts?

If you have comments like this, it is best if you keep them to yourself. What you are doing is illegal. Enough said.

I thank you but I am the author of the other neo project (the Neo Geo Pocket handheld and not Neo Geo CD).

Anyways my take is this. If you want to be a pirate then do it on your own and quit being a lame child asking for people to do it for you. I have no problem helping people out who want to do legal things but if you're going to do illegal things then figure it out yourself.

shizzle
June 27th, 2005, 07:35
why don't you add it up blingshine, i mean although i'm hypocritical now my bitchin in this instance, 99.9% of your posts are incorrect.

ArugulaZ
June 27th, 2005, 09:12

How can you possibly interpret what I said as an insult? Talk about touchy. All I said was that anyone who wants the games can find them and convert them to a PSP-friendly format. I didn't insult anyone. I didn't beg for ROMs. I didn't ask a question that's been answered a dozen times before. So just calm down, count to ten, and set the gun down before somebody gets hurt.

This is the second time I've been attacked here. Considering all the help and suggestions I've offered, you'd think I would be treated with more respect. Or should I expect to be dogpiled by the members of this forum every time my posts are too long or I express a differing opinion? If that's the way things are done around here, don't expect this to become a popular place.

JR

shizzle
June 28th, 2005, 19:27
what did he saywrong, and how does it compare to nut kicking??

shizzle
June 28th, 2005, 19:37
oh yeah and has anyone got a better tutorial to post on fmsx, i actually just cant get it to work,