View Full Version : Michael Bay responds to Paramount's abandonment of Blu-ray: "No Transformers 2 for me

wraggster
August 21st, 2007, 15:35
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/michael-bay-responds-to-paramounts-abandonment-of-blu-ray-no-t/)

So by now you've heard that Paramount has dropped support for Blu-ray right? Good, so has a notable Hollywood director. Michael Bay -- the man behind "Transformers," "Bad Boys," "Pear Harbor," etc. -- just threw down with Paramount in his personal blog. In a forum post titled "Paramount pisses me off!", he states, "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!" That's right Mike, aim your PS3 right at their coffers!

DPyro
August 21st, 2007, 15:39
Shows them right for being stupid and taking the $150M bribe.

gdf
August 21st, 2007, 16:05
no transformers 2? GOOD.

Elven6
August 21st, 2007, 16:36
This guy is full of himself, a majority of Blu Ray movies aren't even encoded in full HD! And the Blu Ray people can't even agree on a right production plan, half the players on the market are missing things like Ethernet and what not. So in a way HD DVD is a better format, because everything is their and people aren't gonna feel cheated into buying a updated player.

mnuhaily22
August 21st, 2007, 16:45
This guy is full of himself, a majority of Blu Ray movies aren't even encoded in full HD! And the Blu Ray people can't even agree on a right production plan, half the players on the market are missing things like Ethernet and what not. So in a way HD DVD is a better format, because everything is their and people aren't gonna feel cheated into buying a updated player.
lemme guess, u don't own a blu-ray player, and you own an xbox-360 and you are willing on spending 200 dollars on an HD-DVD player add-on...

Elven6
August 21st, 2007, 16:54
lemme guess, u don't own a blu-ray player, and you own an xbox-360 and you are willing on spending 200 dollars on an HD-DVD player add-on...

Yea, and I see you own a PS3, so since we both spent money on something we would be defending our purchase.

Darksaviour69
August 21st, 2007, 16:55
Shows them right for being stupid and taking the $150M bribe.

there was no proof that was true, someone just made that up. I was reading comments from some high ups from paramount and they give the reason why, and there were quite a few good reasons.

jerrt
August 21st, 2007, 19:05
there was no proof that was true, someone just made that up. I was reading comments from some high ups from paramount and they give the reason why, and there were quite a few good reasons.

the new york times, among others, is making it seem like more truth than fiction.

read link as noted by gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/formart-wars/-291760.php)

it may not have been a bribe in the traditional sense, but that is still a lot of money that seems to have very little validity otherwise. that being said, i'm sure we would all be sick in seeing all the monetary transactions that probably pass around corporate america on such things as this.

can you link to what the executives were saying, i've been looking for that info and haven't been able to find much about it.

Darksaviour69
August 21st, 2007, 19:22
yeah here was the link
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33722

"Why would PARAMOUNT/DREAMWORKS choose the allegedly losing format in this format war?"

Rob responded that the keyword there was "Allegedly". It seems that according to their studies, the people that buy stand alone players - buy more dedicated film product... so, due to Toshiba's commitment to getting quality equipment at the under $300 barrier - means to the execs at Paramount, that this is the format to support.

It's not just a matter of the amount of space that one format has over another. That's a gross simplification between the two formats. You see, HD DVD was built upon... not just the technology of DVD, but the programming software and other aspects. When we began talking about the cost issues - Alan stated it's very very complex, but that the replication facilities that have been built for the mass production of DVD - it's much cheaper and simpler to convert for HD DVD mass production.

I found these 2 parts pretty interesting. People for get, just because blu-ray is selling better than HD-DVD does not mean its making the company more money, because of higher costs.

Still i'm not saying HD-DVD have the upper hand and/or its the better format. I think its to close to call at this early stage

jerrt
August 21st, 2007, 19:54
thanks for the links! [:

Basil Zero
August 21st, 2007, 21:26
I can see why he's angry and all, but to not to make a transformers 2 0_o....