PDA

View Full Version : PlayTV: View, Record & Rewind TV

wraggster
August 22nd, 2007, 18:42
http://www.threespeech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/PlayTV_SonyBrandEnvironment1.1.jpg

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/playstation_3/PlayTV_View_Record_Rewind_TV)

http://digg.com/playstation_3/PlayTV_View_Record_Rewind_TV

PLAYTV UNLOCKS FREE DIGITAL TV ON PLAYSTATION 3
Watch, record and replay TV shows on demand

Turn PS3 into a digital personal video recorder and record programmes to watch anytime, anywhere

Leipzig, 22 August 2007. At Games Convention today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced the introduction of PlayTV - the software that turns PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) into a Personal Video Recorder (PVR). PlayTV will be available in UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain early in 2008, with other PAL territories to follow in due course.

With the ability to watch, pause and record live TV from a huge range of free channels, PlayTV reinforces PS3’s rightful place in the Living Room at the heart of the family’s entertainment needs. Whether it is recording a programme whilst watching another, simply recording a entire series1 at the touch of a button or for watching programmes on the go via remote play on PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable), PlayTV offers a simple solution to it all.

“The introduction of PlayTV really will extend the already broad entertainment credentials of PS3, and makes it an exceptionally attractive proposition for the whole family,” said David Reeves, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “PS3 already provides High Definition gaming, Blu-ray Disc movies, music, video, photo album, web browsing and PLAYSTATION Network support. With the introduction of PlayTV’s state of the art TV tuner and PVR functionality, PS3 is now the best choice of home entertainment hub for the whole family.”

PlayTV provides the sort of features you’ll only find on the most expensive PVRs:

* Two High Definition-ready TV tuners: both able to view, record and play TV in High Definition as well as standard definition.

* Electronic Programme Guide2: an incredibly user-friendly, seven-day interface, that provides the navigation for programming the PVR features of PlayTV – it’s fast and simple to use with either PS3’s SIXAXIS™ controller or the Blu-ray Remote Control.

* Compatibility: PlayTV operates on the widely available Digital Video Broadcasting – Terrestrial (DVB-T) format.

* Easy to use: Intuitive controls, single button help features, tutorial videos and simple navigation make PlayTV a joy to use compared with the complex navigation of other PVR models.

Optional on-screen graphical display provides a wealth of information about the status of PlayTV and provides quick access to programme information, stored TV programmes and the controls to pause or record live TV.

PlayTV will also set the correct interface for either Standard Definition or High Definition displays automatically for a hassle-free viewing experience.

* Portable viewing with PSP: Seamless PSP connectivity allows you to set recordings, watch Live TV and recorded TV programmes remotely on the PSP via a WiFi connection (using Remote Play feature) – or you can transfer video files to your PSP via USB cable.

* It’s future-proof: PlayTV will evolve with time – with new features added and updated via the PLAYSTATION®Network.

PLAYSTATION 3 was already more than a games console; now, it’s a TV tuner as well – PlayTV is one more reason why PS3 should be right at the centre of the living room.

1. Series recording currently only available in the UK.
2. Subject to availability, country dependent.

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/playstation_3/PlayTV_View_Record_Rewind_TV)

http://digg.com/playstation_3/PlayTV_View_Record_Rewind_TV

gamefreak199101
August 22nd, 2007, 20:19
this is ill!!!

kidSN
August 22nd, 2007, 20:22
its Over!
Sony and the PS3 have won. this is a killer release and as said
PlayTV reinforces PS3’s rightful place in the Living Room
END-OF
include the future games and the ps3's power..

x360, wiiiiiii sorry

xg917
August 22nd, 2007, 20:26
o shyt this is one of the best reasons to have a ps3. although i have a DVR so this isnt useful to me..

mcdougall57
August 22nd, 2007, 20:46
i have sky plus so i wont be needing this, good concept though

acn010
August 22nd, 2007, 20:49
basically is gonna be like TiVo...sadly enough its not for the us

Airdevil
August 22nd, 2007, 22:06
Since when did a psps firmware look like that lol :)

mavsman4457
August 22nd, 2007, 22:27
Wow, now I know what the Europeans feel like to get shafted by Sony. Everything that was in this press conference, the DVR, the messaging on the PSP, and whatever else there was, is just for Europe. I sure hope this will work if I import it because if it does then I'm buying it.

Zargon
August 22nd, 2007, 23:58
Crossing my fingers for future US version:rolleyes:

sonofsamus
August 23rd, 2007, 00:00
Leipzig, 22 August 2007. At Games Convention today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced the introduction of PlayTV - the software that turns PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) into a Personal Video Recorder (PVR).
I'm pretty sure that should read "hardware." I don't know of any algorithm that will let the PS3 magically absorb HD TV signals. Something tells me this is going to be priced pretty close to a regular TV tuner, since it's going to require the hardware.

goity
August 23rd, 2007, 13:46
But are there any HD ready channels on DVB-T anywhere? There aren't going to be any here until at least 2011.

mavsman4457
August 23rd, 2007, 17:48
I'm still confused on the concept of DVB-T. Does that mean that it is like an antenna and the signal is received through the air? Isn't there any cable or satellite at all in Europe?

Mr.Denny
August 23rd, 2007, 18:23
Looks pretty neat but still nothing there to warrant buying a PS3 with it's current price in my opinion.

Accordion
August 23rd, 2007, 18:43
I'm still confused on the concept of DVB-T. Does that mean that it is like an antenna and the signal is received through the air? Isn't there any cable or satellite at all in Europe?

In the Uk we have what's called "Freeview" [though a tv license is required so it is not free at all.] There is national government run digital broadcasting, which all DVB-T aerials accept.

Additionally there are subscription services available such as Virgin Media, BT, and SKY. these require extra hardware, BT and Virgin using cable, and SKY using satellite.

This device is a dual TV tuner which enables recording of the free* to air "freeview" service, it is not an addition to current receivers, but a receiver itself; meaning it wont record from other sources.

mavsman4457
August 23rd, 2007, 19:19
In the Uk we have what's called "Freeview" [though a tv license is required so it is not free at all.] There is national government run digital broadcasting, which all DVB-T aerials accept.

Additionally there are subscription services available such as Virgin Media, BT, and SKY. these require extra hardware, BT and Virgin using cable, and SKY using satellite.

This device is a dual TV tuner which enables recording of the free* to air "freeview" service, it is not an addition to current receivers, but a receiver itself; meaning it wont record from other sources.

Oh I see now thank you. But that kind of sucks that it only tunes to Freeview channels. Also, are there any HD channels?

Accordion
August 23rd, 2007, 21:13
Oh I see now thank you. But that kind of sucks that it only tunes to Freeview channels. Also, are there any HD channels?

no, and not for a long time either.

we still have analogue broadcasting [5 channels], in addition to the digital broadcast [30+ channels].
The BBC claims there isnt enough bandwidth in the air, at least until the analogue switch off [2009 i think?] And by that time i would guess the number of SD digital channels will increase…

As stated in the ps3 forum thread im a little concerned over optimum picture quality for SD input, most HDTVs require vastly different settings to view SD footage in good quality than the settings required for HD sources…

acn010
August 23rd, 2007, 21:24
in new york theres like 4 channels that are HD channels for free

mavsman4457
August 23rd, 2007, 21:39
no, and not for a long time either.

we still have analogue broadcasting [5 channels], in addition to the digital broadcast [30+ channels].
The BBC claims there isnt enough bandwidth in the air, at least until the analogue switch off [2009 i think?] And by that time i would guess the number of SD digital channels will increase…

As stated in the ps3 forum thread im a little concerned over optimum picture quality for SD input, most HDTVs require vastly different settings to view SD footage in good quality than the settings required for HD sources…

Oh man that sucks. I feel so lucky to receive TV the way I do but I still have a few questions haha. People still have DVR's right? Also, do you have to pay a monthly fee for your TV or do you just buy the hardware to receive the signal and that's it. How many channels do you get in total? And if you don't get any HD channels then PS3 would be the only reason to have an HDTV? And, for some reason I thought that America was switching to DVB-T at some point but now I'm second guessing myself. Is America going to switch and if so why would it? DVB-C and S sound so much better than T.

Edit: Oh yah and also, do you have to use an antenna to receive DVB-T signals? Are there any positives to DVB-T over DVB-S or C that you know of? Sorry I looked this stuff up on google and wikipedia and can't find an easy to understand explanation.

Basil Zero
August 23rd, 2007, 22:05
wow

looks like Sony's making a media comeback xD