PDA

View Full Version : Pandora Battery - Unbrick & Downgrade any PSP!

Pages : [1] 2

Wally
August 23rd, 2007, 02:07
Team C&D have done it again,

A dream becomes a reality, we can now downgrade to any firmware version from any firmware :D

Here is the Content

We told you that we'd be releasing an unbricker for the M33 bricks. But then we got to thinking, maybe that just wouldn't be exciting enough. Would you like a super special surprise bonus? How about an unbricker for ALL PSPs? Yep, you read that right. We call it "Pandora's Battery".
There's a larger story behind this unbricker, though, and it deserves to be told. It's the culmination of years of behind-the-scenes research and development by some of the top names in PSP hacking, under the name of the Prometheus project. This group of people, from various development teams, was dedicated to developing and releasing PSP hacks and exploits, with the aim of improving the status of PSP homebrew, and making sure that it was kept alive.
For some time this project was highly successful - many releases from Noobz, C+D and others were direct results of this work. The zenith of this success was the development of this unbricker - which required some amazing technical leaps, including:
Reverse engineering of the service (unbrick) mode
Development of a technique to change an ordinary battery into a service mode trigger battery (and back)
Development of custom IPL code along with a technique to sign that code as authentic.
Even more impressive is that all of the above was achieved without any access to the official hardware or software. With careful nurturing, this unbricker and custom IPL was to become the foundation of a whole new homebrew environment. Unfortunately something happened to shatter the idyll. Somehow, the unbricker was leaked into the wider world before it was ready to be released. Whether this was deliberate, by one of the team members, or accidental via a security breach is still unclear. The fact is that this unbricker appeared on the black market, being sold for huge prices. As far as we know, it is probably very close to the same software that appears in at least some of the 'magic unbricker'/'jigkick' videos.
So, although the time was not right to release this (it would have been wise to wait at least until the PSP Slim release), our hand has been forced. In order to prevent small fortunes being made by leeches, we are giving this unbricker away for free. So - let it be known - if you have paid for an unbricker, then you have been ripped off. I suggest that you take up your grievances with the seller - it should never have been sold. And if you're unhappy about this being released before PSP Slim - then blame whoever it was that leaked or stole it.
It's unclear whether or not this is the end for the Prometheus project - hopefully not, but that is undecided so far. In case it is the end, it is worth a quick roll of honour. In alphabetical order:
Adrahil, Booster, Cswindle, Dark_AleX, Ditlew, Fanjita, Joek2100, Jim, Mathieulh, Nem, Psp250, Skylark, TyRaNiD.
And here are their respective C+D (Create and Destroy) nicknames.

Mathieulh = WiseFellow
Tyranid = bockscar
Fanjita = FullerMonty
Joek = CosmicOverSoul
Dark_Alex = Malyot
Chris = Caretaker
Adrahil = VoidPointer
nem = h1ckeyph0rce

Anyway - make sure to read the readme.txt in this release for how to use it, but in brief it works like this:
You run a program on a homebrew-enabled PSP that will convert a standard PSP battery into a jigkick battery. Note that you can't then use that battery normally - so you should use a spare one.
You run a program to generate the unbricker memory stick image, built from the v1.5 update EBOOT (note that this, and the custom IPL, means the release is completely free of Sony copyright materials).
You run some programs on a PC to install the image to your memory stick.
Now, you have a battery/memory stick pair that works just like the famous jigkick combination (but better) - just insert them into any PSP (even a brick) and the PSP will be reinstalled with the v1.5 firmware. As far as we know, this will continue to work for all future firmwares.
Enjoy! And remember - if you find this useful, please donate to the original developers - it's a lot cheaper than paying £1500 for it on the black market... Donations via paypal please via this Link:
http://paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=ig390%40msn%2ecom

[adrahil] A note about Pandora's Battery: It does not allow IDStorage restore, so don't go erasing your whole NAND without making a backup!

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Pandora_Battery_Unbrick_any_PSP)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Pandora_Battery_Unbrick_any_PSP

Download and discuss via Comments

Note:

If you only have one battery and want to unbrick your PSP, you can.

1) Convert your battery into a jigkick one using "Pandora's Battery Creator", but before you press X, press TRIANGLE to backup your battery's EEPROM to ms0:/eeprom.bin
2) Unbrick your PSP as normal
3) When you are done unbricking, take out the battery and the magic memory stick. Start up the PSP using the AC adaptor (do not try to use a USB charger, it will not start up)
4) Insert the magic memory stick and the magic battery
5) Run "Pandora's Battery Creator" again
6) Press L+R to restore the ms0:/eeprom.bin to your battery

NOTE: You can also restore a battery without having made a backup, by pressing SQUARE at step 6. This will generate a fake serial for your battery (0x12345678) which allows it to work normally, but there could be side-effects.

Have fun, and thanks to everyone in the Prometheus/C+D team.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

V3N0M
August 23rd, 2007, 02:18
I knew that a reverse engineering would be a possibility but being able to make this work without a special battery is just.. Insane. Excellent work!

ICE
August 23rd, 2007, 02:18
Wow this is crazy.

Nocuddle
August 23rd, 2007, 02:22
Now its time to buy cheap bricked PSPs. :D

DPyro
August 23rd, 2007, 02:22
Cool, too bad I don't have a spare PSP to test this out with.

FlyingMojo
August 23rd, 2007, 02:27
Now its time to buy cheap bricked PSPs. :D

My thoughts exactly...

ICE
August 23rd, 2007, 02:28
so let me get this straight. all i need is a spare battery and i can unbrick any psp?

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 02:31
crazy indeed.. time to try this on my fully bricked 3.03 OE-C ~!!!!!!

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 02:32
oh my ****ing god.bricked my old psp ages ago an brought a new 1.time to unbrick!!!thank u so much team c and d!!

kiore
August 23rd, 2007, 02:32
you have made a lot of people very happy

SnoopKatt
August 23rd, 2007, 02:35
Wow, someone please report their results!
Wait, so could this possibly downgrade a 3.52 if it can overwrite ANYTHING?

mfz64
August 23rd, 2007, 02:35
so if you brick once, then unbrick it, brick again.....can you use the same battery you used for the other to unbrick it again?

mike03$$$
August 23rd, 2007, 02:37
COOL so all i have to do is brick my friends psp on purpose then unbrick but for people firmware that is 3.51 and over that dont have have access to keneral it wouldn't be possible to brick unless one of mike03$$$ ideas come in i say run a update then shut the psp off on purpose then you have a bricked psp

Chameleon
August 23rd, 2007, 02:39
can this be upgraded to a custom firmware? or is it stuck on 1.5?

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 02:39
does this **** up your memory card as i only have 1!

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 02:41
OMG IT ACTUALLY WORKS I JUST UNBRICKED 2 PSPs!!!!! THANKS TEAM C+D!!!!!!!!

mike03$$$
August 23rd, 2007, 02:41
they shouldve waited to psp slim then hit sony with the homemade jigkick

Nocuddle
August 23rd, 2007, 02:42
So ANY batteries will do, even the shitty fake chinese made?

DPyro
August 23rd, 2007, 02:43
they shouldve waited to psp slim then hit sony with the homemade jigkick

The PSP Phat battery's don't work with the slims...at least their too big for the slims.

mike03$$$
August 23rd, 2007, 02:45
The PSP Phat battery's don't work with the slims...at least their too big for the slims.

they do work with slim psp's

schluptnut
August 23rd, 2007, 02:45
No reason for me not to try and mess with homebrew on my psp now. Plus I could even begin making my own firmwares and homebrew without worry

MicroNut
August 23rd, 2007, 02:46
Freaking AWESOME!

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 02:46
I just tested that pandora thing and I unbricked my long lost 3.03 OE-C and now it is 1.50. Can I upgrade to CFW?

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 02:47
please someone tell me will i be able to use my memory stick as normal after unbricking?

schluptnut
August 23rd, 2007, 02:48
You bet your a$$ you can!!!!!!!!!

schluptnut
August 23rd, 2007, 02:48
Answered both......

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 02:49
yes

DPyro
August 23rd, 2007, 02:50
Ok, does anyone want to sell me a bricked PSP for cheap? :p

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 02:51
lol

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 02:52
can I modify 3.50 with this?

Safari Al
August 23rd, 2007, 02:52
wow amazing so all you need is a battery, a bricked psp and this????!?!

`The0n3
August 23rd, 2007, 02:54
You All Are God +2 -1!!!!!

SnoopKatt
August 23rd, 2007, 02:54
Well you'll need a PSP capable of playing homebrew to make the battery. I have a feeling that we're gonna see a lot of these batteries on eBay...

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 02:56
After I use This can I use the MS used to install this thing again? Like for homebrew,music,videos etc.

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 02:58
u dont even need a bricked psp do get it to 1.50. all you need is a homebrew able psp to install the jigkick and the memory stick install thing then u can use both on a normally working psp to downgrade it.

SnoopKatt
August 23rd, 2007, 02:59
If you just reformat the MS it should work. However, I haven't tried this yet as my PSP works fine, so I could be wrong, but there's no reason that it wouldn't work after a reformat.

mike03$$$
August 23rd, 2007, 03:01
it would be nice to see these group of people on the ps3

ICE
August 23rd, 2007, 03:03
got 3.52? brick it then use this ;)

mike03$$$
August 23rd, 2007, 03:08

your not able to brick a 3.52 unless kernal access is able or a future firmware comes out were you can turn off when installing

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 03:08
wait it says Only Memory Stick Pro Duo are compatible so can u use Sandisk 512 MB MS? Or not

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 03:10
can i use Memory Stick Pro Duo HIGH SPEED 1GB?

DPyro
It has to say pro duo on the memstick.

pimp12
ok

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 03:11

u dont even need to brick, just put the battery in and then it will load straight to the menu of the unbricker.

SnoopKatt
August 23rd, 2007, 03:11
Well it says it'll boot up in any PSP so it should downgrade a 3.52. However, I read the readme and it says it installs a very basic version of 1.5, so upgrading to 3.52 M33 might not work...

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 03:13
can i use the magic MS for my saves and all

mike03$$$
August 23rd, 2007, 03:13
oh it goes straight to menu cool i thought you had to brick it on purpose forget my idea

Aryn
August 23rd, 2007, 03:15
This is awesome news. In one fell swoop, the people responsible for this software have allowed all PSP owners to unbrick their systems, given people the ability to install any firmware version they desire even if the firmware has no downgrader, made all web sites safer by rendering bricker programs nothing more than a minor annoyance, and (at least for now) made SONY's code blocking firmware updates far less effective.

Now, if only I could find some discarded bricked PSP systems to test this on...

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 03:15
can i use the magic MS for my saves and all (PLZ ANSWER)

Safari Al
August 23rd, 2007, 03:17
I was at first lost and now i get it. About the u need a homebrew enabled psp. Do you have to have a brick or can you just pop the battery into a working one and it will work for lets say a downgrade?

penileartery
August 23rd, 2007, 03:17
damnit, i have 3 bricked psps but i never bought a 4th...well. looks like ill have to find someone thatll let me use theirs haa

Veskgar
August 23rd, 2007, 03:18

Yup, PSP Phat batteries do indeed work on PSP Slim. Maybe SONY will change that now. PSP Slim also uses memory stick PRO Duo.

Man, this should have waited until the release of the PSP Slim. The amount of people actually buying these "leaked" packages was probably very minimal. More likely, shops were probably set up to offer downgrade/unbricking services using this or a similar technique.

Don't get me wrong, All of the talented coders involved in this are far wiser than me and I respect this work tremendously.

I just can't stand how stuff like this is always released right before major firmware updates (3.60 for PSP Slim)

This is good for people who have already bricked. But for those who haven't and are planning on getting a PSP Slim, this maybe could have been 1000 times more useful.

But still, thanks to all for all of the brilliant work put forth to make this happen.

This is something big... well enormous, hope sony doesnt do somekind of countermeasure though
Of course they will put in countermeasures. That's what disappoints me so much. I know the brilliance of the PSP homebrew scene coders can NEVER be underestimated, but how long can we keep this streak going before SONY finds a way to really put a stop to homebrew hopes for future PSP's.

saocore
August 23rd, 2007, 03:21
This is something big... well enormous, hope sony doesnt do somekind of countermeasure though

Bigboi
August 23rd, 2007, 03:23
Ok, so. I have 2 PSPs. One is 3.52 M33, other is just 3.50. Has anyone tried 'unbricking' a PSP that is not bricked to update it to a CFW, so I know it is safe for me to?

Gold Line
August 23rd, 2007, 03:24
WOW!!!

any psp can be turned into a beautiful 1.50! a 3.52 psp, a bricked psp hell even a 2.71 psp :p

ExcruciationX
August 23rd, 2007, 03:26
Oh my ****ing god...

We've won for now.

burrito
August 23rd, 2007, 03:26
This is so amazing that I might brick my psp for fun!

Tesseract
August 23rd, 2007, 03:27
From what I understand, this changes your battery into the magical unbricker, but then it doesn't function as a regular battery, correct? Can you un-do the magic after you're done unbricking a PSP to return the battery to its original usage, or should a second battery be used?

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 03:27
PLEASE SUM1 HELP!ive done everything in the readme the only thing i dont understand is "Connect the Memory Stick again via the USB connection of the PSP.
- Execute "msipl" application on the PC with the msipl.bin to write
the IPL to memory stick". what msipl application do i execute to write the ipl?

supergenius0000
August 23rd, 2007, 03:34
would this work on a psp where the green light does not come on at all? Because i have a friend whos psp i might purchase if I am sure it is a brick. Basically the unit doesn't have the yellow charge light come on or the green light, so i was wondering basically if anyone tried this battery thing on a unit like this

Sp3ct0r
August 23rd, 2007, 03:37
Freekin Sweet!! :D

burrito
August 23rd, 2007, 03:38
Dax is back!!

ICE
August 23rd, 2007, 03:38
this renders the battery useless as a battery right?

scarph
August 23rd, 2007, 03:39
mod chip owners are feeling increasingly dumb

urherenow
August 23rd, 2007, 03:41
I can't believe how people are confused... Perhaps they don't bother reading the whole thread before asking questions. I dunno... anyway here is the whole story for those too lazy to look at everything.

1) Follow the readme to the letter, using a homebrew capeable psp. This will set up you magic memory stick, AND set up your battery.

2) Once you have those 2, you put them in ANY PSP (this means broken or not, whatever firmware you can think of) and it will work.

Now... 2 things that haven't been answered yet.

1) Has anyone installed 3.52 m33 after using this? IT was mentioned that it is a minimal 1.50 that's installed and some things may not work.

2) Exactly how was this done? Please I'm just dying to know because it absolutely blowes my mind. I'm referring to the battery. What exactly is done to the battery, and how the heck is it done with software? My brain is having a complete meltdown here!!!

Squidman
August 23rd, 2007, 03:42
Epic Win

now i just need to tell my friends to forget the box codes and just get the damned thing with an extra battery! haha! :D
excellent freakn' job guys for this is pwnage on an entirely new level.

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 03:43
does not work for me

THERE IS NO "MSIPL" APPLICATION TO EXECUTE THE MSIPL.BIN!!!

Tesseract
August 23rd, 2007, 03:44
Heh... I'd check the README, but my curiosity compelled me to post before I could leave work ;) They don't take kindly to downloading files on work machines...

ICE
August 23rd, 2007, 03:45
Dax is back!!

he never really left?

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 03:45
Sweet zombie Jesus...incredible...going to test it now on my recent brickage.

Words cannot describe the sheer awesomeness of the fantastic work you all have done!

Thank you very much!

V3N0M
August 23rd, 2007, 03:46
I'm curious if you were to "Upgrade" a 3.51 PSP to 3.52 and pull the battery out in-between the upgrade would you essentially be able to downgrade your bricked PSP to say 1.5? Or better yet does it load on a 3.5+ PSPs? I see real potential in this..

Safari Al
August 23rd, 2007, 03:46
man i'm just so hyped. I have two homebrew capable psp's so if one bricks, BAM i'm alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup: Thanks you C+D, Noobz!!
Edit: I think it works wether you bricked it or not V3N0M. So if you load it on a nonbricked one you can dg. I hope

ExcruciationX
August 23rd, 2007, 03:47
I can't believe how people are confused... Perhaps they don't bother reading the whole thread before asking questions. I dunno... anyway here is the whole story for those too lazy to look at everything.

1) Follow the readme to the letter, using a homebrew capeable psp. This will set up you magic memory stick, AND set up your battery.

2) Once you have those 2, you put them in ANY PSP (this means broken or not, whatever firmware you can think of) and it will work.

Now... 2 things that haven't been answered yet.

1) Has anyone installed 3.52 m33 after using this? IT was mentioned that it is a minimal 1.50 that's installed and some things may not work.

2) Exactly how was this done? Please I'm just dying to know because it absolutely blowes my mind. I'm referring to the battery. What exactly is done to the battery, and how the heck is it done with software? My brain is having a complete meltdown here!!!
I'm wondering the same thing.

How can a battery be changed through software? There must be something in the battery or on the connections.

And, I'm guessing that the IDStorage doesn't need to be corrupted for the IPL to load. Incredible. :eek:

Nocuddle
August 23rd, 2007, 03:47
N00bz, DA, C+D, others devs... even u r not gods, I still give u my bow.
The impossible now is possible. Now I just hope the slim can be done too.

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 03:48
if it can only run minimal things then y not run an official sony updater to version 2.71 then use the downgrader to have the full 1.50 version then u can install custom firmware. that should work.

luis_05
August 23rd, 2007, 03:48
damn, i bircked my psp 3 weeks ago, and i was gonna send it to a shop to get it restored, 70 bucks!! but now i can do it for free? thank you team C+D!! this is just to good to be true!!

Tesseract
August 23rd, 2007, 03:49
I'm wondering the same thing.

How can a battery be changed through software? There must be something in the battery or on the connections.

The Battery has an on-board chip that tells the PSP how much power it has, etc. My guess is that this applet just adds some instructions to a part of the chip that was placed there by SONY to unbrick PSPs in-house.

EDIT: If this is the case, then it's quite likely 3rd-party batteries wouldn't work. Has anyone tested this yet?

urherenow
August 23rd, 2007, 03:50
another question... I have 2 PSPs (because I bricked one a couple of years ago, then replaced the motherboard myself) so anyway, I have 2 32MB memory sticks I don't really use. is a 32MB stick too small for this?

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 03:52
does not work for me

thats wat caught my eye. i was looking for msipl. maybe its on your memory stick? idk..

ICE
August 23rd, 2007, 03:55
I'm curious if you were to "Upgrade" a 3.51 PSP to 3.52 and pull the battery out in-between the upgrade would you essentially be able to downgrade your bricked PSP to say 1.5? Or better yet does it load on a 3.5+ PSPs? I see real potential in this..

yeah i jokingly said people with 3.52 should just brick and use this but then someone said something back about not having flash access in 3.52.. irrelevant.. anywho i bet you can ;)

Alucardmoon
August 23rd, 2007, 03:56
the theme song for a bricked psp should be what ive done by linkin park but for the recovery should be bring me to life by evinesence yeah i mispelled it on porpuse

Gold Line
cant we just update to 2.71 after unbricking? that way we would have a full 2.71 insted of a dogey 1.50

xg917
has anyone managed use this yet.. because i cant find msipl application..

Sterist
August 23rd, 2007, 03:59
im stickin this baby on my flash3 :)

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 04:01
what exactly r u putting in flash 3?

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 04:01
woah... i got a few bricks, lol I'll be trying this out now :)

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 04:02
also it doesnt say whether we need to have the charger plugged in on our psps in the process of the jigkick installer..

Auriman1
August 23rd, 2007, 04:03
This may have solidified my decision to buy a 2200nmh battery. After all, there's a good chance I'll be turning my 1800nmh into a Pandora battery now :D

On a different note, hope the upcoming psp slim doesn't jam this. But honestly, how many slims would Sony need to re-process to remove such a vulnerability, especially if it's basically a built-in hardware ability of the psp? Such modifications would be time-consuming and expensive. And if they do stop it, how would they officially unbrick PSPs at their factory? It may already be too late for them to stop this, at least in the first batch of psp slims. Who knows, though? They had really jumped on the 3.50 downgrader. Only time will tell, I guess.

Uberman
August 23rd, 2007, 04:07
Fantastic job, guys!! Kudos!! :thumbup:

Squidman
August 23rd, 2007, 04:13
another question... I have 2 PSPs (because I bricked one a couple of years ago, then replaced the motherboard myself) so anyway, I have 2 32MB memory sticks I don't really use. is a 32MB stick too small for this?

clearly states in the readme that the 32mb stick does NOT work and can NOT be used at all during the process, a 256mb stick would suffice [and i have one :P ] lol

chris151
August 23rd, 2007, 04:13
Noob question:

when i try to run mspformat it opens my CMD window for a split second, appears to do nothing and closes. Any advice?

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 04:17
Does Not Work!!there Is No Msipl Application Ive Been Trying Now For Bout Half Hour Plus!!

Lodis
August 23rd, 2007, 04:18
does not work for me

They made a mistake, the application you need to use is called ''msinst.exe''.

I have just tried this and it works fine, your Psp does not need to be bricked to use it and it should unbrick any ''soft'' brick. Think of it as rebooting your messed up Windows XP PC by using a bootable Floppy Disk to bypass the Operating system and to access a subset that has just enough code to launch a recovery.

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 04:19
Noob question:

when i try to run mspformat it opens my CMD window for a split second, appears to do nothing and closes. Any advice?

You need to run it through the command prompt and specify the drive letter your psp is currently occupying.

Now I have a question...
This step here:
"Run "installer" through the firmware on the PSP. This application will create the firmware files on the root of the Memory Stick, as well as msipl.bin."

I get into the XMB (assuming that's what they mean by "through the firmware") and all I get is corrupted data...

Any thoughts? Am I just missing something obvious?

EDIT: Never mind...I r dumb...I should have moved the contents of those folders...not the actual folders themselves.

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 04:24
poo... the msinst exe dosent seem to work well with vista

Lodis
August 23rd, 2007, 04:25
[QUOTE<--snip-->
Now I have a question...
This step here:
"Run "installer" through the firmware on the PSP. This application will create the firmware files on the root of the Memory Stick, as well as msipl.bin."

I get into the XMB (assuming that's what they mean by "through the firmware") and all I get is corrupted data...

Any thoughts? Am I just missing something obvious?[/QUOTE]

Put all of the installer and battery files inside of the GAME and make sure the kernel is set to GAME 1.5 from the recovery menu. If you are running this from 1.5 then I don't know why it is not working.

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 04:27
what application do i use to format the memory stick before the magic memory stick preperation?

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 04:30
[QUOTE=armyStrong;500177]You need to run it through the command prompt and specify the drive letter your psp is currently occupying.

how do you run through command prompt?

dankbeats
August 23rd, 2007, 04:32
Another noob question: Is an unbricked psp in any way "tainted" and less reliable than one that has never been bricked? Similar to what i've heard about refurbished consoles are more likely to fail. I assume since all the bricks software related therefore it should be fine kinda like restarting a frozen computer. Can someone help me answer this?

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 04:32
Can Someone Please Answer This Question? If I obtain this "magic memory stick" Will i be able to use it for my saves and stuff?

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 04:36
[QUOTE=armyStrong;500177]You need to run it through the command prompt and specify the drive letter your psp is currently occupying.

how do you run through command prompt?

StartMenu, Run, type CMD...

cd to the directory where you saved the program.

type the name of the program and then the drive letter.

supergenius0000
August 23rd, 2007, 04:38
Noob Question: what common psp conditions can be cured by this, i know everyone is saying a brick, but like does a situation in which the light turns on then off after 15 seconds get fixed, what about one that the light does not turn on at all? What exactly warrants a brick that this battery can fix?

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 04:40
Oh and cant you format the MS manually like going into USB Mode and deleting everything?

burrito
August 23rd, 2007, 04:40
Does this work on TA-082?
Is it possible to change an unbricking battery into a normal battery?

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 04:41
So, I just caught the IDStorage clause now...

I assume the IDStorage is in flash0, and if I previously deleted everything in flash0 while messing around with custom theme stuff, then there's no hope for my poor brick?

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 04:45
I obtain this "magic memory stick" Will I still be able to use it for my saves and stuff? And This is good for all motherboards (Including TA-082!)

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 04:45
So, I just caught the IDStorage clause now...

I assume the IDStorage is in flash0, and if I previously deleted everything in flash0 while messing around with custom theme stuff, then there's no hope for my poor brick?

same here.. damit!

yo pimp just format ur memory stick after using it as the magic memory stick and it should work.

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 04:46
Oh and cant you format the MS manually like going into USB Mode and deleting everything???? Please Reply

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 04:47
??????

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 04:48
Almost ironically enough, I was planning on stealing the lcd screen off of the brick for my good one tonight...then I read this and was like, "Oh man! Money in the bank!"

I'll probably still go ahead and make the battery to have on hand, but still sad if I cannot in fact fix the brick because of an idiotic mistake.

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 04:48
Thank You

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 04:54
any1 who has done this can you please help me on remote assistance on msn i have already done the battery just need to sort out the mem stick my addy is [email protected]

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 04:59
k so now i kno that this cannot unbrick any psp.. only psps that have their idstorage intact..

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 05:02
anyone know how to run the msinst.exe with command prompt on vista?

nvm, derp :)

Emeriastone
August 23rd, 2007, 05:03
Awesome! All bad things in the history of PSP have been UNDONE.

It's a like a clean slate...

I can remove those things in my signature now... :)

siulmagic
omg this is insane omg i ahv no words this is to much

omg thanku so much

luis_05
where is the idstorage? flash 0 or flash 1

usp8riot
August 23rd, 2007, 05:04
Cool, on digg now:

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Pandora_s_Battery_Software_to_un_brick_downgrade_E VERY_PSP

I hate to post links but the coders deserve the attention it gets.

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 05:06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any1 who has done this can you please help me on remote assistance on msn i have already done the battery just need to sort out the mem stick my addy is [email protected]

ICE
August 23rd, 2007, 05:07
where is the idstorage? flash 0 or flash 1

its on the battery isnt it?

tanukikun
August 23rd, 2007, 05:10
Noob Question: what common psp conditions can be cured by this, i know everyone is saying a brick, but like does a situation in which the light turns on then off after 15 seconds get fixed...

Yes, This is what a bricked PSP with a bad flash does. This problem is what this project was originally targeted at. It's a happy coincidence that this will also work as a downgrader.

As to questions regarding the "stripped-down 1.5 firmware", If you want to keep a full 1.5 firmware, just upgrade to 2.71 and then downgrade to a full 1.5.

If you want to run a CFW, then either use the method above to get a full 1.5 install to upgrade or you can probably just install the CFW on top of the stripped 1.5, just as you are doing with any firmware upgrade.

Disclaimer: I've yet to actually test this myself, as I am still at work (I will be doing a ton of testing when I get home...) I am basing these suggestions on previous posts. (PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD!!!) Sorry, didn't really mean to go off there...

Just reading the thread and using a little thought will answer most of the posted questions.

And as to the 32MB card questions: Which is more expensive, a 256MB Pro Duo card or a new PSP?

And yes, when you're through unbricking your PSP, just reformat it to use with your saves.

I'll shut up now...

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 05:12
C:\Users/masamune\Desktop\msinst.exe
PSP MS IPL Installer
usage: msinst.exe driveletter ipl_block_file

what the hell does that mean, lol
how do I specify the drive?

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 05:12

Not sure...but it would be nice to figure out...If I can indeed restore my brick, despite the flash0 being totally gone, that'd be great.

luis_05
August 23rd, 2007, 05:13
if thats the case then it does not matter cuz i can get a new battery and thats it. cuz some ppl are saying that u need it to be intact in order to downgrade

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 05:15
**** it I give up...

dgbbad
August 23rd, 2007, 05:16
umm, i was doin this...and i got up to where i run the installer on the memory stick....and now my psp wont recognize that the memory stick is even in it.. the red light just flashes. it will in fact recognize my other memory stick tho...soo does this mean it screwed up my memory stick?

Kamichu
August 23rd, 2007, 05:21
Is this some elaborate trolling opration? I just gave you 4/10 on your mininova torrent, but after seeing this chaos I can say you deserve much more than that. Even GNAA would be proud.

There's no way to read/write data on battery. Don't run executables if you value your psp.

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 05:24
can any1 confirm that this works?

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 05:26
is there any website that can help with this? lol

shaunix
August 23rd, 2007, 05:27
does this work with a psp without Flash0?
What happens to the battery and memory card?

can someone reply ASAP?

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 05:30
@ shaunix
it doesn't seem that anyone here understands this either...

kjetil1991
August 23rd, 2007, 05:33
ooh yeah time to unbrick my old psp =)

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 05:33
straight forward guide on how to install this from QJ: http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-hacks-9/t-guide-unbrick-any-psp-using-the-pandora-battery-118789.html

unfortunately this wont work for psps that have idstorage issues.. if only there was a way to regenerate the idstorage right on boot up. my psp is a FULL brick (and by full, i mean the backlight wont go on, umd wouldnt spin on start up, the memory stick wont be read if one inserted) aka absolutely nothing works. so i highly doubt this can fix my bricked psp. i would try to unbrick it but its not worth it at the moment unless i am sure it will work on it. u catch my drift?

mike_jmg
August 23rd, 2007, 05:34
Holly shaitz, this is simply awesome, i'll have to get my hands on a spare battery and a smaller memory stick, but hell yeah, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen

pkmaximum
August 23rd, 2007, 05:37
Wow this is incredibly great to hear, I'm very excited to have my own PANDORA battery lol, I'm going to make one just for keep sake. Also should you have second memory card for this, or should it be fine on the same memory stick no one actually clarified this. I already know having a second battery is a must =)

jamotto
August 23rd, 2007, 05:42
C:\Users/masamune\Desktop\msinst.exe
PSP MS IPL Installer

what the hell does that mean, lol
how do I specify the drive?

assuming that your psp is drive letter H, I think it would look like this at the

msinst.exe H: msipl.bin

you might have to specify where on the memory stick msipl.bin is located at for example msinst.exe H: H:\psp\game\msipl.bin

It is not on the battery, it's somewhere in nand.

jvabbdac
August 23rd, 2007, 05:43
What is spare battery !? And why !!!! WHY !!!! DONT'T WAIT A COUPLE DAYS FOR PSP SLIM !!!??? WHY !!! I CANT'T UNDERSTAND !

dgbbad
August 23rd, 2007, 05:47
im pretty sure this effed up my memory stick. i put it in and the red light just flashes. i tried it in my other psp...same thing...says there is no memory stick inserted...so yeh, now i have an unuseable 512 memory stick.....huzzah....if there is any way to fix this...it would be awesome... cuz the only other memory sticks i have are a 4gb and a 1gb...and i dont wanna risk screwin up my 1gb stick...

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 05:50
this is bull man im cant get this thing to work im goin sleep check back later

edwinerzz
August 23rd, 2007, 05:51
lol i jsut read all 14 pages of comments and no exact confirmation of dis working no screenshots and such a good tutorial but the tutorial needs screen shots. so i have a firmware 3.03 all i need to do is follow instruction than shut down my psp than it should go to 1.5

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 05:51
assuming that your psp is drive letter H, I think it would look like this at the

msinst.exe H: msipl.bin

you might have to specify where on the memory stick msipl.bin is located at for example msinst.exe H: H:\psp\game\msipl.bin

It is not on the battery, it's somewhere in nand.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\masamune>cd desktop

C:\Users\masamune\Desktop>msinst.exe J: msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer

C:\Users\masamune\Desktop>msinst.exe j msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
241664 bytes(59 block) readed

Target DRIVE is 5
Check partation Sector
Cannot open device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE5
Can't read partation sector

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 05:54
dgbbad! take your memory stick out, go to system settings and go to format memory stick, press x on it and choose yes to format memory stick, insert memory stick in your psp and choose yes again then it should fix your memory stick, hopefully..

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 05:56
For what it may or may not be worth, a few people over at PSP Hacks have said that they've gotten it to work even with fully-deleted flash0...

I think the problems I'm having are probably related to the non-Sony memory stick I've been using...

I'll run out tomorrow morning and pick up a cheap, official pro duo and see if I can't get this to work correctly...*crosses fingers*

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 05:59
can someone who has successfully ran the msinst.exe just email me the files lol... I can't get this thing to work on vista... not sure if that legal or not if not its cool don't worry bout it...

anyway my email is [email protected]

edwinerzz
August 23rd, 2007, 06:01
any screenshots what so ever and a new tutorial with screenshots to help out im more of a visuall person i have 3psp 3 2gb memory sticks with one 1gig one bricked psp another 3.03 psp ant antoher 3.04oe-a

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 06:04
im sure there will be a video up on youtube in a few days.

edwinerzz
August 23rd, 2007, 06:06
kk so if im correct i can downgrade my 3.03 and my friends 3.52 and unbrick my old psps that was a 1.5 than bricked goin throught 3.52m33

neomechasonic
August 23rd, 2007, 06:07
C:\Documents and Settings\Geno\Desktop\pandora\msinst>msinst.exe d msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
Can't open msipl.bin

Is there any reason for me not being able to get past this point? =(

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 06:09
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
Can't open msipl.bin

i cant seem to get any further either

not sure why... lol

neomechasonic
August 23rd, 2007, 06:10
nvm i got it >_< had to copy teh ipl to the directory with the exe

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 06:11
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
Can't open msipl.bin

I'm running into the same problem, and it sounds like the problem stems from our not using official Sony Pro Duo memory sticks (ie: SanDisk like in my case)

If you are in fact using a sony pro duo, then I have no idea, heh...

Adamuko
August 23rd, 2007, 06:13
That's not the problem armystrong, it's becuase you have to show where the msipl.bin is. Such as D:\msipl.bin and not just msipl.bin.

Also this doesn't work on my PSP. It get the the recovery but when I press X to refortmat nothing happens, I believe it is because this doesn't work on psps that have no Flash0. This does not work "On any psp" it clearly states in the readme that psps that don't have the IDStorage on there psp anymore can not be recovered (Such as mine)

NeoXCS
August 23rd, 2007, 06:15
On qj someone has said that it is possible to return your jigkick back to normal. I'll paste the steps from there.

- Take the battery out
- Plug in the AC adapter
- Turn on the PSP
- Put the battery in
- Load the battery changer
- Hit the button for "change it to a normal battery"

neomechasonic
August 23rd, 2007, 06:15
i just copied the msipl to the msinst directory (and left a copy in the root directory) ran the same command line, and it worked

mexicansnake
August 23rd, 2007, 06:16
Wow!!!.

DarthPaul
August 23rd, 2007, 06:16
OMFG!!!!!!!
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! NOW MY BRICKED PSP WILL COME BACK TO LIFE WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!

THIS IS MADNESS!
No... THIS! IS! HOMEBREW!!!

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 06:20
On qj someone has said that it is possible to return your jigkick back to normal. I'll paste the steps from there.

- Take the battery out
- Plug in the AC adapter
- Turn on the PSP
- Put the battery in
- Load the battery changer

is that a joke? wat the fuk is the button to change it back to normal?

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 06:20
Could someone please explain the difference between the NAND, IDStorage, and the various flash#'s please?

Emeriastone
August 23rd, 2007, 06:24
Anyone having issues with loading the IPL?

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 06:28
i just need the ipl file... why does it have to be so fudge'n hard to do...

Sterist
August 23rd, 2007, 06:30
what exactly r u putting in flash 3?

this zip package. it's only 200kb and i wont be needing it for anything in the coming decade lol if/when i do, i can just boot recovery and retrieve it. besides, i'd like to get as much use out of my battery before ruining it. in addition, it can't be good for a battery to hold its charge for years to come

my psp was an original japan 1.00 which i bought a week after release (thank you ebay!) and i've never bricked before in any way shape or form :cool:

about your post after that quote, the readme says remove power cord ;)

Adamuko
August 23rd, 2007, 06:30
People, this is not hard to do.
If you're getting the
"PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
Can't open msipl.bin"

It's because you're messing up, my post above says why you're getting this message and how to fix it.

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 06:31
heres a video of the unbricker in action :) not upped by me, someone on qj posted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwxq1mJZ2G4

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 23rd, 2007, 13:18
This is insane!!!!!!!! thx guys, even though i don't have a bricked psp.........

Sonicboy 101
August 23rd, 2007, 13:21
Man, this is really good news for the community
Im so exited
Thank you sooo much!

royvedas
August 23rd, 2007, 13:35
Have nothing interesting to add, just needed to be in this thread and express my: "AWESOME".

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 13:45
People, this is not hard to do.
If you're getting the
"PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
Can't open msipl.bin"

It's because you're messing up, my post above says why you're getting this message and how to fix it.

actually that is not why it doesn't work for everyone...

IndianCheese
August 23rd, 2007, 13:55
This is the biggest thing that has ever happened in the PSP scene ever.

usp8riot
August 23rd, 2007, 13:57
Thinking of getting another battery for this. I've googled and haven't found an online retailer selling the extended life batteries I've heard someone mention. Anyone got a link?

pt9087
August 23rd, 2007, 14:02
This is great! I may personally brick my PSP to try this out!

Ok im gonna brick now! i will update to M33 and pull the battery out! whooooop! :thumbup:

Sonicboy 101
August 23rd, 2007, 14:03

Yep, It sure is!
Stick THAT in yer pipe and smoke it, sony!

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 14:11
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\masamune\Desktop>msinst.exe i msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin

Target DRIVE is 4
Check partation Sector
Cannot open device \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4
Can't read partation sector

-----------------------------

can anyone guess whats going wrong here?

KaliKot
August 23rd, 2007, 14:14
So anybody know how to revert the battery to normal after downgrade?

P.S. anybody know where to get bricked PSPs here in the philippines? :D

nofx_sk8
August 23rd, 2007, 14:16

as far as i know its possible and says - "flash" and "convert"

emuking
August 23rd, 2007, 14:21
****1ng incredible, im going to go buy a brand new psp to try this shit out

Malksta
August 23rd, 2007, 14:35
Even though how much great news this is, I would of prefered it to be released privately rather pubicly (someone should of told me this was coming out, all Bricked PSP's on eBay are now going to be way overpriced)

sebbe
August 23rd, 2007, 14:38
this is crazy! just to be shure, can anyone confirm this working? and after you have converted the battery, will it work as normal? or can it just be used to unbrick?

burrito
August 23rd, 2007, 14:40
HOW-TO: Restore a battery used for unbricking - unbrick without buying a spare!

If you only have one battery and want to unbrick your PSP, you can.

1) Convert your battery into a jigkick one using "Pandora's Battery Creator", but before you press X, press TRIANGLE to backup your battery's EEPROM to ms0:/eeprom.bin
2) Unbrick your PSP as normal
3) When you are done unbricking, take out the battery and the magic memory stick. Start up the PSP using the AC adaptor (do not try to use a USB charger, it will not start up)
4) Insert the magic memory stick and the magic battery
5) Run "Pandora's Battery Creator" again
6) Press L+R to restore the ms0:/eeprom.bin to your battery

NOTE: You can also restore a battery without having made a backup, by pressing SQUARE at step 6. This will generate a fake serial for your battery (0x12345678) which allows it to work normally, but there could be side-effects.

Have fun, and thanks to everyone in the Prometheus/C+D team.
Source: http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=646846&postcount=1

Wally or a mod should move this to the first post.

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 14:41
oooo I got it :)

edit:
just one more question... when it writes the ipl to the ms to you see it... cause when I look in the files on my ms it doesn't show up...

heres what I got...

C:\Users\masamune\Desktop>msinst.exe i msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin

Target DRIVE is 4
Check partation Sector
boot status 0x80
start head 0x12
start sec/cyl 0x0010
partation type 0x06
last head 0x2F
last sec/cyl 0x52F0
abs sector 0x0000036F
ttl sector 0x001DE791
signature 0xAA55
Check BPB Sector
signature AA55
Check free reserved sector:OK
Write ABS Sector 0x10 to 0x1E7
Are You Sure ?[Y]y

Write MS BOOT CODE

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 15:01
holy hell it worked!! lol my brick LIVES!!

Also I think you can convert the battery back, because in the battery flasher thing it has the option to do so... as well as many others...

YAY!!! :)

sebbe
August 23rd, 2007, 15:03
sweet, my friend has a bricked psp, i guess he will be happy to fix it and sell it :P

mnuhaily22
August 23rd, 2007, 15:03
IT WORKED!! I downgraded my 3.50 using this.....OMG I still cant beleive it...this is so awesome!!!

Accordion
August 23rd, 2007, 15:06
if this works on PSP-2000 i think hardware sales will be very high.

gr42178
August 23rd, 2007, 15:08
if this works on PSP-2000 i think hardware sales will be very high.

Wouldnt the new PSP features (viedeo out, more memory) be crippled by doing that?

P.S. Nice Job, I bet this thread crashes the server!!!

aadhu
August 23rd, 2007, 15:11
there's someone already trying to sell this on ebay for $120.. the nerve.. after all the hardwork done by great coders... link is here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PSP-Unbricking-Kit-FIX-YOUR-BRICKED-PSPs_W0QQitemZ120154261390QQihZ002QQcategoryZ12251 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Accordion
August 23rd, 2007, 15:15
Wouldnt the new PSP features (viedeo out, more memory) be crippled by doing that?

P.S. Nice Job, I bet this thread crashes the server!!!

While the firmware would disable the current method of video-out , the functionality is still there, and if this battery allows full lash access is a firmware rip completely out of the question?

i dont see how the extra ram can be locked away by firmware either.

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 15:17
I just wonder whats going on in sonys mind now... lol, it sucks cause the brick I fixed has no analog and the face plate is all messed up and keeps falling off, I needed the spare parts months ago

Welshboy
August 23rd, 2007, 15:18
Do you think there's a man who's in charge of PSP security and his soul is gently weeping? right now? at this very minute?

acn010
August 23rd, 2007, 15:18
jdgafbljesg;bfjadbs'fwa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
wow.... this is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you !!!!!!!! now i have like three motherboads that are bricked and ill unbricked them soon!!!! thanks!!!

masamune
August 23rd, 2007, 15:28
there's someone already trying to sell this on ebay for $120.. the nerve.. after all the hardwork done by great coders... link is here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PSP-Unbricking-Kit-FIX-YOUR-BRICKED-PSPs_W0QQitemZ120154261390QQihZ002QQcategoryZ12251 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

:eek: wow that quick... jeez, what an ass. Ah well I don't think there will be any bids, at least I hope not...

damn a homebrew scene with no fear... its wonderful:thumbup:

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 15:40
please can someone help me with [email protected]

ssnake
August 23rd, 2007, 15:48
:eek:
*Crying*
You've just made my day...
All right, now I can unbrick my psp :D
It's been like 3 months ago...
wow, very nice.

*donating*

AuroEdge
August 23rd, 2007, 15:52
Will this only work with Sony batteries?

mcdougall57
August 23rd, 2007, 15:59
man wish this came out earlier......

acn010
August 23rd, 2007, 16:03
man wish this came out earlier......

its ok, i make you cheer up...click on my spoiler on my sig :rofl:

armyStrong
August 23rd, 2007, 16:04
AH! It works!

I used the following under the following conditions:
1. SanDisk 1.0 GB Pro Duo
2. Original Sony Battery
3. My flash0 was completely gone thanks to a stupid mistake I made while messing around with custom themes...

Don't restore the NAND if you're also missing flash0...just hit X when the menu comes up and downgrade...works one hundred percent!

I used this tutorial (http://f6y.ath.cx/pspdev/PandoraGuide.html)posted on maxconsole or psphacks, I forget specifically...

Thank you so much for all your work everyone!

Gizmo356
August 23rd, 2007, 16:05
I just unbricked my friends psp it was easy :)

hack.fool
August 23rd, 2007, 16:09
so now we can downgrade even a psp-2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all the thanks in the world wouldn't be enough!!!

a donation you shall have!!!
Thank you

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 16:10
glad to see it works guys. im going to try it myself right now :)

blackrave
August 23rd, 2007, 16:10
Fantastically awesome news. Definitely one of the biggest things to ever happen in the history of the PSP. Congratulations, Team C&D!

If this will work on the slim PSPs, could you install 1.50 and custom firmware on them, perhaps? :eek:
It uses a smaller battery, though. We can only wait and see.

:)

Gizmo356
August 23rd, 2007, 16:12
No I read that its the same shape but thinner and you can use it on the slim psp but it sticks out and you can't put the battery cover on

noeleyc
August 23rd, 2007, 16:18
am trying to perform this on my first psp, but can't even get past formating the memory stick properly! every time I use the mspformat tool, it gives me a write error...any ideas?

jurkevicz
August 23rd, 2007, 16:18
I guess I'll be buying a PSP Slim after all, if the extra RAM will help Homebrew. And if it cam be Downgraded now that the Unbricker has been released. THanks team C+D!

Kramer
August 23rd, 2007, 16:21
Wow!!!

I never even knew this would be possible.

If they get this working on the new PSP ill be buying it the day it comes out.

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 16:33
please please please someone help me with this i dont know what to type in the command window

acn010
August 23rd, 2007, 16:34
will work on the slim too??? wow then im defenitly gonna buy the slim no questions asked

Ihavenolife
August 23rd, 2007, 16:46

I think the biggest was when homebrew was first enabled. Without it, you wouldn't have to worry about bricks much.

However, the discovery of an unbricker rocks (Less fear when I flash anything) and Sony can't really complain much about this program considering their battery sales will likely increase 1000%.

Kramer
August 23rd, 2007, 16:48
I think the biggest was when homebrew was first enabled. Without it, you wouldn't have to worry about bricks much.

However, the discovery of an unbricker rocks (Less fear when I flash anything) and Sony can't really complain much about this program considering their battery sales will likely increase 1000%.

But piracy will increase alot too....

Ihavenolife
August 23rd, 2007, 16:52
But piracy will increase alot too....

How? I'm saying that, although Sony might be a little upset that people can now use more systems for possibly piracy, all THEY get is a fatter wallet.

zx-81
August 23rd, 2007, 16:54
Sony can't really complain much about this program considering their battery sales will likely increase 1000%.

You need not to buy a new battery, you can put your battery in "service" mode, unbrick or downgrade, and then put it back in "normal" mode. So $ony won't sell more battery.

Ihavenolife
August 23rd, 2007, 16:57
You need not to buy a new battery, you can put your battery in "service" mode, unbrick or downgrade, and then put it back in "normal" mode. So $ony won't sell more battery.

According to the coders statement, once you use the special battery to unbrick, that battery becomes useless for normal operation. So, if that is true, then yes, it would require two batteries to use.

felonyr301
August 23rd, 2007, 16:59
Damn so many comments lol.... this might make me buy the psp slim only if homebrew will take advantage of the extra ram if not what's the point.

Get your batteries while they still cost normal haha....

zx-81
August 23rd, 2007, 17:02
According to the coders statement, once you use the special battery to unbrick, that battery becomes useless for normal operation. So, if that is true, then yes, it would require two batteries to use.

I've just done it on my battery ;). What you have to do to put your battery back to normal mode is to remove the battery from your PSP, and boot your PSP using only AC.

Then when your PSP is started you can put back your battery, and using the pandora battery homebrew, put it back to "normal" mode.

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 17:04
im having a problem, when i try using mspformat in command promp it gives me a message saying "Logical drive has more than a physical drive. Cannot handle it." i did all the steps before that.. maybe its because i am using virtual PC to run windows on mac? ill try it on my friends XP later then..

Ihavenolife
August 23rd, 2007, 17:10
I've just done it on my battery ;). What you have to do to put your battery back to normal mode is to remove the battery from your PSP, and boot your PSP using only AC.

Then when your PSP is started you can put back your battery, and using the pandora battery homebrew, put it back to "normal" mode.

Firstly, you are right.

Secondly, thank you as I wouldn't have thought of that solution myself. High-Five!

dgbbad
August 23rd, 2007, 17:21
xg917 i tried your advice on fixin my memory stick, didnt work, said there is no memory stick inserted. if anyone else has happened to screw up their memory stick to where the psp wont read it, and they figured out a way to fix it...plz lemmie know. i now have a useless 512 memory stick.....

gusgus
August 23rd, 2007, 17:22
i just sh!t my pants...

zx-81
August 23rd, 2007, 17:24
Firstly, you are right.

Secondly, thank you as I wouldn't have thought of that solution myself. High-Five!

another thing, don't forget to unplug and plug the battery every time you change its state (normal / service).

Shantou
August 23rd, 2007, 17:26
See there is a GOD bricked my sons PSP yesterday was gonna post it off and pay to be repaired but will save the money and donate a good portion of it to this if it works.

THANK YOU TO ALL INVOLVED IN BRINGING THIS ABOUT.

tophead420
August 23rd, 2007, 17:35
So does this mean what I think it means? No more perma bricks that can't be fixed with out a mod chip? This is by far the greatest day in homebrew for the PSP if i had a back up battery I would so brick my psp just to try this out lol. But I think I'll wait till that day comes on it's own. Nice work guys and hope to see more crazy releases

Kvonx
August 23rd, 2007, 17:39
Sony iz screwed on bigger grounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSS

mavsman4457
August 23rd, 2007, 17:43
A glorious day in the history of homebrew, especially if this will work on all firmwares to come in the future. Simply amazing. Now hopefully there will be more support to the homebrew scene since anyone can join if they just want to put some effort into downgrading and learning the ways of the PSP.

ian h
August 23rd, 2007, 17:46
if any1 can help me with unbricking please please please email me or chat on msn my addy is [email protected]

edwinerzz
August 23rd, 2007, 18:03
kk today at my place 12am im goin to try unbricking my psp that got bricked goin to m33 and donwgrade my 3.52 psp hope it works thx for the creators

jerrt
August 23rd, 2007, 18:06
this is probably news of the year. great work, and i will donate to this. i agree that this should have waited till the slim hit the street, but if it had to be done to save countless scams, so be it.

is calling them the 13 apostles a bit too much?

tophead420
August 23rd, 2007, 18:08
this is probably news of the year. great work, and i will donate to this. i agree that this should have waited till the slim hit the street, but if it had to be done to save countless scams, so be it.

is calling them the 13 apostles a bit too much?
LOl maybe a bit. So has anyone had any luck unbricking?

acn010
August 23rd, 2007, 18:17
towards sony:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/acn010/Owned-ShavedKitten.jpg
lmao

Sonicboy 101
August 23rd, 2007, 18:19
You and your pics acn. :D

xg917
August 23rd, 2007, 18:20
i just unbricked. yes! lol. time to put my firmware history down in my sig again.

and i just figured something out. as long as you boot your psp with out the memory stick inserted, the unbricker wont be triggered and u can use it as a normal battery.

acn010
August 23rd, 2007, 18:25
You and your pics acn. :D

lol i have so many pics that i want to just express with it. a picture says many words in many languages:rofl:
and that pic shows how sony looks like right now lmao!!!

burrito
August 23rd, 2007, 18:35
if any1 can help me with unbricking please please please email me or chat on msn my addy is [email protected]
http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=107068

tgm123
August 23rd, 2007, 18:49
can someone tell me how to make this work on windows vista?

im fine with command prompts but i get a write error when i try and format the memory stick

tophead420
August 23rd, 2007, 18:57
Who in the hell shaves a cat? Thats just inhuman man lol. Well I see this actually works guess i need to buy an extra battery for the day i may brick my psp.

usp8riot
August 23rd, 2007, 19:02
I was thinking another battery also but apparently you can flash your original back to normal while using the charger.

edwinerzz
August 23rd, 2007, 19:07
kk i need help plz ive done all the steps when it says final steps i disconnect usb cable and charger insert the magic memory stick and the pandora battery it says a screen should pop out all i see is a black screen ive click on the screen button to see if my psp was asleep but back light is still on any ideas help would be appreciated

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 19:28
can I downgrade a 3.50 psp with this?

StreetRacerTPSPL
August 23rd, 2007, 19:31
These guys are amazing. Unbrick a PSP without Sony's magic battery. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING :thumbup: :thumbup:
You Guys Rulez, Congratulations From Costa Rica :thumbup: :thumbup:

tgm123
August 23rd, 2007, 19:37
please Help Me Make The Exe Programs Work In Vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pimp12
August 23rd, 2007, 19:39
I already have a 2nd homebrew psp and installed everything but will it work on a 3.50

urherenow
August 23rd, 2007, 19:44
Some people here are still having trouble so here's a guide I wrote last night but couldn't post here because the site went down. Pay very close attention to how I made mstinst work.

1. unzip pandora.zip , keeping the directory structure intact.
2. Insert pro duo in PSP (homebrew compatible), and start USB mode from XMB
**My PSP is the I:\ drive on my computer. Replace "i" with yours in the following steps**

3. Right click on START, then click explore, Right click on i:\ and select format.
4. Click start ->> run --> and type cmd and hit enter.
5. go to the directory with mspformat.exe, (ex. C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop\pspRecover\mspformat)
6. type "mspformat i" then press enter (no you don't type i:\ for some odd reasom)
7. When that is done, go to i:\ and create directory PSP and PSP\GAME
***note: if you're using custom firmware be sure to set GAME to kernal 1.50 in the recovery mode***
8. Copy the 1.50 update to i:\update.pbp
9. in your pandora directories that you extracted, click on battery and copy the 2 directories to i:\PSP\GAME
10. Do the same for both directories within installer
11. With psp, exit USB mode and go to games... now run the installer
12. when that is complete, go back to USB mode
13. in your command prompt (if you left it open) type "cd.." then enter, then "cd msinst" and enter
14. type "mstinst i i:\msipl.bin" and press enter. folow prompts...
15. Now exit USB and run Pandora's Battery Creator from the PSP.

Your memory stick and battery are now set up!!!

You should be able to follow directions after that. But when it tells you to press X to shutdown, you MUST put in a normal battery before restarting. In fact... (assuming you're doing this with a power cord the whole time) as soon as you get to the unbricker menu, you can pull out pandora's battery and put the original back.

My Observations so far:
To use, place battery and stick in PSP WITHOUT IT PLUGGED IN. If it is plugged in, it *might* just boot normally (if you put it in sleep move vice a full shutdown)

I saw an option to copy the battery's eeprom in the pandora's battery creator so I did it. Then I used the program and started it up with only a power cord. After I was in the XMB, I put my Pandora's battery in and fired up Pandora's battery creator again and used the command to reflash the eeprom using the file I dumped in the previous step. Actually I tried it twice because both times I got the error: "error writing at address 0x14".

BUT.... It works as a normal battery now! (simply inserting the battery at any point seems to trigger the 'unbricker' mode and you won't realize it until a cold reboot, so my advise is that after you convret your battery back to normal, fully shut down and reboot with a DIFFERENT battery just to be sure, then you can use your original again and you can do whatever you want with the memory stick, including adding games and stuff and leave the formatting alone)

As for people asking about working with a formatted flash 0... sorry but I'm not brave enough to try that! If you live around Lemoore, Visalia, Fresno, or Hanford California then PM me and I'll be happy to give it a shot on yours but I'm not about to format a flash 0 on purpose!

As the readme says, Memory stick Duo will not work. ONly Pro Duos. with that said... if you do the above and wind up with a memory stick that only makes your PSP memory access light up(blinking)... then you tried using a 32MB stick or your pro duo is a fake. The only way to fix that memory stick is to format it through windows using a card reader (hey at least it can be fixed).

Another update: Apparantly I've had to use my spare battery to get out of service mode because I'm just using a USB Data/Charger cable. I Guess pulling pandora's battery and a cold reset with the A/C adapter also works so everything can be safely done with only 1 battery.

edwinerzz
August 23rd, 2007, 19:55
haha i did it and u can return ur battery back to normal i just donwgraded all 3 of my psp but the magic batter has to be charged 50% or higher

zx-81
August 23rd, 2007, 19:58
... Actually I tried it twice because both times I got the error: "error writing at address 0x14".

Same for me, but the battery id seems ok.

I Guess pulling pandora's battery and a cold reset with the A/C adapter also works so everything can be safely done with only 1 battery.

That's what i've tested and it works fine using AC adapter and using only one battery.

Johnny Rash
August 23rd, 2007, 20:16
Just used it and although I can't be trusted by the masses...I can confirm it working. I would post screenshots but I doubt that would be convincing. All I can say is that the C+D Team are geniuses in their prime! And the battery CAN be converted back using the same application that turned it into a jigkick.

FOL
August 23rd, 2007, 20:17
Same for me, but the battery id seems ok.

That's what i've tested and it works fine using AC adapter and using only one battery.

Aye, can confirm all regard battery. Error at 14, but seems to work fine.

Only other problem I had, was that a dumped my 3.52 M33-4 nand, but it said bad sector while backing up. It still gave me 33MB nand dump.

Anyone know if that means, my flash is iffy or does this pandora throw out random errors, like with the battery?

Anyways, this is great.

Congrats to all involved.

Qmark
August 23rd, 2007, 20:33
There is no reason for anyone to not have an unlocked PSP anymore, give or take IDStorage mangling.

On that note, what happens when the NAND is pulled while the PSP is powered on? It may be possible to boot up a working unit, swap NANDs, then restore a IDStorage from a backup or something.

FOL
August 23rd, 2007, 20:40
There is no reason for anyone to not have an unlocked PSP anymore, give or take IDStorage mangling.

On that note, what happens when the NAND is pulled while the PSP is powered on? It may be possible to boot up a working unit, swap NANDs, then restore a IDStorage from a backup or something.

Errrm, how would that work, be hard to unsolder the nand while its on, you would end up shorting it out.

On another note, my battery is screwed now, everytime i fully turn off. and turn back on it goes into service mode. I have tried writing my backedup battery eprom data back to it and it wont stop doing it, :(.

penileartery
August 23rd, 2007, 20:46
well, my only problem is, does this screw up your memory stick, i read on this tread that someone couldnt use their 512, well i only have my 2 gig high speed, and i dont wanna screw it up, but i have 3 bricked psps that ive gotten from people. but i dont have a working one either. sooooo this is gonna kinda suck. haha a friend of mine has a homebrew capable psp, but i cant get ahold of him. i hope i can still get this working,

--i have 4 psp batteries. the whole extra battery isnt a problem, the only thing im worried about is the memory stick

can someone answer this?

The EX
August 23rd, 2007, 20:46
Errrm, how would that work, be hard to unsolder the nand while its on, you would end up shorting it out.

On another note, my battery is screwed now, everytime i fully turn off. and turn back on it goes into service mode. I have tried writing my backedup battery eprom data back to it and it wont stop doing it, :(.

http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-homebrew-and-hacks-help-21/t-pandora-battery-can-be-normalized-read-118831.html#post1751446

Safari Al
August 23rd, 2007, 21:11
Can anyone confirm this working without having a brick for 3.52 (just wondering i have m33)

The EX
August 23rd, 2007, 21:12
I can. I have 3.52M33, and it boots perfect.