atari800
August 23rd, 2007, 04:31
My RANT!!!

Ok - as some of you know - I lost my PSP
but I have been keeping up on the development

A couple of things...
#1 Everyone kept asking "where is it, where is it?"
Well it did show up....and the delay?
Think about it...there are a zillion questions and "oh, I want to go back to .499999" and "I cant do this or that"...
Just think...if you said this 1-2 months before - the birth of .5 wouldnt be here

#2 "I want it to draw a chart from where I am to were I want to go without GMDL"
Think about this...if this was currently doable...do you thing in7ane would make onlya Windows version? Maybe...possibly...aMAPTHIS and GMDL and a 10 mgb download does not have the capability to do this. Maybe...just maybe it was thought out that this might be a great idea but unfeasible?

#3 My PSP take <insert value here> minutes to coonect if ever - why?
Come on....Its not the program...there are not 23 variants of the same thing (unless I make another Unofficial version...which isnt likely until I get some money and...blah blah blah)

#4 Performance is slow
ok...you got what you paid for...there are the previous versions put there...you can always revert....like I did with Vista

#5 Can you make this read addresses in Romania, Antarctica, Johannesburg, etc
...not yet.... it is what the region gives you through the internet that is decryptable that in7ane can figure out

#6 Why does this hang on me when I....
ok...good question but think of it this way...
Say you have a computer...a weird one but powerful...that can read/write/delete stuff and show pictures.
Now...Introduce MIB.42 and Deniska
They make a program that needs to look at a lot of data but only a segment at a time. Well...that gigantic book of "Weird Computer..it's underlying code Volume 1" although it is right there for the Googling ....well being sarcastic...it doesnt...
So they go on what is available
The stuff they code makes sense however Sony wont release their developers notes or environment to the public.
*personally - I think the file i/o needs to be examined...or slow/speed the threads up...again no psp at the moment...but I did stablize my build a bit by reduce the mp3 buffer...nuff said

#6 I cant make it work with my psp
...like everyone else?...Do you think that maybe you might have plugins or some special thing that makes your cooler that they are not developing on?

Work with these guys....dont DOWN them
Try a smaller map
Try a different mem stick
Try giving psp time to discover without moving around

Here was something I did that made me get a lock in 18-53 second almost all of the time...
a) set it to 222 (based on .499) and walk our front door
b) stand in front of truck and face at an almost 2 oclock position at neighbors house
c) wait
d) LOCK

Personally I think their walls and my carport (almost like a box) and truck front (triangular shaped in nature if you think about it) must have the best satellite acoustics to "hit the birds"

If .5 isn't working for you quite right....ok revert back
GMDL still works - uncheck the sound option

Or better yet....find time to read the source code..Deniska is proud enough to reveal it, MIB.42 and in7sane ...when they have time will explain their contributions and the flow
google is a wicked resource on understanding C

And there maybe a Neiko that can do external cool sh!t to give tools to make it better

I see a lot of praises in his thread...and also a lot of anchors...

make a thread of complaints....
make a thread of compliments...
make a thread of "wishes"

I am not part of that crew...but it does 'irk me when I see..."hurry up!!" and "this sucks" in 1 thread

From my non-psp point of view...it is fantastic...
and if I had one again...I would contribute with an example of how "my problem" could be resolved

/|\ t a r i
*Thanks Deniska, MIB.42,In7ane,Neiko, et al
**even though I am psp-less

If anyone has a negative or positive to say...please do

platinumdragon
August 23rd, 2007, 15:06
As a person who has posted about having issues with #6 and #6 part 2; sometimes a guy just needs a little help. The people who replied to me helped me get back on track and I am now enjoying this wonderful product (v0.5 on M33 3.52 firmware). That's what message boards are for.

I have no complaints about the features since it's a lot better than unfolding a real map while I'm driving.

But, was it really necessary to do that much whining about other people whining?

deniska
August 23rd, 2007, 15:45
Or better yet....find time to read the source code..Deniska is proud enough to reveal it, MIB.42 and in7sane ...when they have time will explain their contributions and the flow
google is a wicked resource on understanding C

LOL, I am not really proud of the source code - it's a mess... but I believe that people have a right to know what exactly they are running on their hardware and have an option to tweak it in case they want it...

Codaz
August 24th, 2007, 00:05
Atari800, too bad people have to ask questions.

But STILL it is so that there are gazillions of variations in GPS use.

This PSP (US EU or JAP) with this mobo with this psp battery with this batteryload with this receiver with that cable etc etc.

There are SO MANY variations, and the most important part of it, Deniska has to know all of them.

Accidents occur, things won't work out perfectly etc.

Also some people are just too stupid to install the GPS, sorry i have to say that.

Manuals are provided, a LOT of help is there on the forums but you will always keep "noobs".

And youre right, if it sucks, revert.

Hope you get yourself a psp soon. Get a bricked one for cheap and unbrick it with a jigkick ;)

atari800
August 24th, 2007, 00:15
@Deniska -
"LOL, I am not really proud of the source code - it's a mess... but I believe that people have a right to know what exactly they are running on their hardware and have an option to tweak it in case they want it..."
Maybe true - but when I was messing around with .4999 I went through your eentire code and rearranged it to make sense. This helped out a lot to get an understanding of what your program does. You could say you subliminally did that to get people like me to try to learn C

@Codaz -
Hope you get yourself a psp soon. Get a bricked one for cheap and unbrick it with a jigkick
I'd like to JIGKICK the @sshole that stole my psp....grrrr:mad:

@platinumdragon - you're right, sometimes people do need help but some people just come off as jerks and complain like they just got ripped off $450...IMO

Yeah - I want my PSP back for sure

Russoxley187
August 24th, 2007, 11:12
I totally agree with you.
People need to realize that he is doing this for free...
I have been watching this programm since virtually day one... I love this programm.
My .5 does not work for me because everytime I try to run it with the cable connected it freezes up oin me. You dont hear me crying about it...

PDG
August 24th, 2007, 12:30
I have been watching this programm since virtually day one... I love this programm.
My .5 does not work for me because everytime I try to run it with the cable connected it freezes up oin me. You dont hear me crying about it...

I havend had any time to try the .5 either and im not crying about that either :)

Im looking for a Holux 1000 unit now and a cable for that and after that arrives ill test it on .499 then when i get that working ill jump on the .50 one :thumbup:

Writing some guides and so on for Holux owners :D

deniska
August 24th, 2007, 15:56

strange - I had no crushes with the generic version for quite awhile...
Can you spare the details?

sin22eze
August 30th, 2007, 10:40
.5 has been running near perfect for me... only got my gps 3days ago and everything is running smoothly... gps locks on quick, about a min if that.. maps are great, with the poi and point to point directions was easy to install afterwards.. icons show up perfect... i think it was the best choice to buy the holux instead of the offcial gps..

the only thing so far is, can't get the startupmap option to load up the map and startupscreenmode to load option 1 or 2.. the rest of the options are loading up nicely.. i had a problem with the frequency, but that was due to my game150 plugins...

when i set it at 111 and exit .5 i return back to xmb, no problems, but if i set it up on 222, 6 out of 10 times it'll shut the psp off completely... 333 crashes once in a while when i zoom out from a map..

but all these problems are just minor hindrance i can live with.. goin skiing in 2 weeks.. 5hrs drive so this is my perfect companion for not gettin lost.. YEA!!

i'm on 352m33-4 with holux 240 using mapthis!0.5

thanks for a excellent program denskia... it took me this long to get set up, was because i couldnt get my mind made up, which gps to buy... winks

PDG
August 30th, 2007, 13:48
I got a Crash too today on MapThis v0.5 as a matter of fact ;)

Im running a PSP with Ta-082 mobo and Fw 3.52 M33-4 with my PSP-290 unit and my own .prx files from my own guides *Lol*

I downed in7anes latest GDML and genetated a smaller map over my locakl area where i work so i could test it.
All seemed to work fine untill i started to zoom then it locked up and shut down my PSP.

Ill try the same Ms on my other PSP units with older mobos later today.