PDA

View Full Version : Total Wii sales surpass the Xbox 360 worldwide?

wraggster
August 23rd, 2007, 17:11
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/23/total-wii-sales-surpass-the-xbox-360-worldwide/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/08/console-sales-august.jpg

The idea of Wii sales passing up the Xbox 360 has seemed almost inevitable in the past months, as its motion-sensing gameplay and lovable pricetag have found plenty of fans in the Americas, Europe and especially in the Wii's native Japan. So far no official numbers have hit that have the Wii past its Microsoft rival, but Vgchartz.com's own homebrew numbers, gleaned from retailers worldwide, project the Wii is slightly ahead at 10.57 million consoles sold, compared to the 360's 10.51 million. These numbers are meant to project consoles sold, not consoles shipped, which gives the sold out Wii a slight edge. There's no telling when we'll get official numbers to know all this for sure, and the 360 still has a comfortable lead over the Wii in both Europe and the States, but it's looking like we'll have a new market leader in town soon enough

mcdougall57
August 23rd, 2007, 17:16
apparently nexgenwars.com doesnt agree

HaloJ
August 23rd, 2007, 17:58
Isn't nexgenwars just a fanboy fueling site?

They state that their figures are not accurate.

"The console sales numbers you see on the front page of NexGen Wars are estimates, and are not intended to represent exact, down to the minute sales as only Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony know the exact sales figures of their respective consoles. What we do here at NexGen Wars is compile numbers from NPD, Media Create, ChartTrack, as well as various other sources. We then take these numbers and, based on past sales trends, extrapolate the numbers out to give as close to real-time estimates as possible. Again, these are only estimates, but we are confident in our ability to bring you accurate and unbiased sales figures. Not only do we extrapolate the numbers out so they don't lag months behind with the official sales numbers, but we also update the numbers when new official numbers have been released to keep our estimates as accurate as possible."

10shu
August 23rd, 2007, 18:04
would be interesting to know how games sell do??
after all that where microsoft and co make there money...

Personnally, I own a wii and a 360 but i barely switch on my wii anymore. I own 3 wii games and about 20 360 games...

seem all the hot games I am looking for are on the 360 or the ps3...

ICE
August 23rd, 2007, 18:59
Isn't nexgenwars just a fanboy fueling site?

They state that their figures are not accurate.

"The console sales numbers you see on the front page of NexGen Wars are estimates, and are not intended to represent exact, down to the minute sales as only Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony know the exact sales figures of their respective consoles. What we do here at NexGen Wars is compile numbers from NPD, Media Create, ChartTrack, as well as various other sources. We then take these numbers and, based on past sales trends, extrapolate the numbers out to give as close to real-time estimates as possible. Again, these are only estimates, but we are confident in our ability to bring you accurate and unbiased sales figures. Not only do we extrapolate the numbers out so they don't lag months behind with the official sales numbers, but we also update the numbers when new official numbers have been released to keep our estimates as accurate as possible."

of course their numbers arent exact.. are you saying that the wii isnt outselling the 360? if not what exactly is your point?

Gold Line
August 23rd, 2007, 19:20

What about

Metroid prime 3, RE4 wii ed, Zelda TP, wario ware, Pokemon Battle Rev, Mario Strikers Charged, Super Smash bros, Mario galaxy ect.

I heart Nintendo
August 23rd, 2007, 19:47
All the hot games I need are on Wii. There's no game on the 360 that's out or forthcoming that makes me want to buy one. Couple that with the horrendous failure rate...

Robert de Clair
August 23rd, 2007, 19:57
almost offtopic and almost joke ;)

Nissan Micra 200.000...... cars saled
Ferrari testarossa 100 cars saled

so Nissan Micra is best than Ferrari Testarossa?

:) its only my own conclusion

emuking
August 23rd, 2007, 20:04
well there's bioshock and gears of war but those are coming to pc so yeah i have no point in getting a 360 as long as i upgrade my computer, here is hoping to a pc port of mass effect :)

10shu
August 23rd, 2007, 20:18
What about

Metroid prime 3, RE4 wii ed, Zelda TP, wario ware, Pokemon Battle Rev, Mario Strikers Charged, Super Smash bros, Mario galaxy ect.

well I am not really looking for any of thoses game

RE4 i got it on the gamecube...
Pokemon, super smash bro...hum I am 30 year old...

Zelda...why not
Mario galaxy...probably get this one...

It s just than i find more appealing action game with a more mature content...
I waiting for game such as RE5, Dark sector, ninja gaiden 2, DMC4, etc...

Gold Line
August 23rd, 2007, 20:32
well I am not really looking for any of thoses game

RE4 i got it on the gamecube...
Pokemon, super smash bro...hum I am 30 year old...

Zelda...why not
Mario galaxy...probably get this one...

It s just than i find more appealing action game with a more mature content...
I waiting for game such as RE5, Dark sector, ninja gaiden 2, DMC4, etc...

super smash bros is not really a kids game.

Yes pokemon is very childish but there very good games just try playing a pokemon game (on the gamboy or ds) you might like it. But don't expect the story to blow you away.

All the hot games I need are on Wii. There's no game on the 360 that's out or forthcoming that makes me want to buy one. Couple that with the horrendous failure rate...

what about?

GTA4, Gears of War, Halo 3, Devil May cry 4, Dead or Alive 4 ect

kjetil1991
August 23rd, 2007, 21:45
im just playing game cube lol! works for me but wii has owned the list for a long time now or what =)

Basil Zero
August 23rd, 2007, 21:51
NextGen I dont trust their numbers, I rather go to the other site that which the above statistics state.

devdj
August 23rd, 2007, 22:51
ha i new that the wii would outsell the xbox 360 and it was only a matter of months rather then years that this would occur. it looks like the xbox 360 failure rate is getting higher my 360 crashed on me a while ago.

gdf
August 23rd, 2007, 23:23
hey i posted the same story from a different website yesterday and it got chucked in the wii discussion forum!

ish420ism
August 24th, 2007, 00:20
I think the BIG KILLER for MicroSoft is that the reports of broken down 360's have scared consumers into not purchasing a potentially deffective product. To be honest, that is the main reason why I have not purchased one myself

MoForce
August 24th, 2007, 06:36

EXACTLY! People go for the cheap stuff!

Wait until Halo 3 comes out...

Red-M
August 24th, 2007, 07:48
Not surprised at the figures, tbh I never bothered with consoles since I had a snes, saw xbox have a ps2 but got that for kids last christmas, but the wii's motion controls are clever and make simple games much better like wii sports etc..
I played the godfather, call of duty 3 on wii recently and there's nothing comes close on a console for controls and immersion.
Only the pc with mouse and keyboard is better for fps. Pads just don't cut it for me.. Anyway, yea get a pc, then a wii :) and look forward to mario galaxy and mario kart and get ya friends round and enjoy more gaming with the wife (or girlfriend) too ;) get godfather, zelda, cod3, rayman rabbids and trauma centre now to keep yourself going until they come out and play world of warcraft on the pc for your hard core on your own sessions, oh and enjoy the virtual console like I do .. Glad to see the big N kicking ass again but they seriously need to sort online out cos it's kak.

sappo
August 24th, 2007, 20:30

Stupidest thing ever.

See until no games will be out for your system.

Wii Wiill own ALL.

Gold Line
August 24th, 2007, 21:54

thats stupid halo 3 wont change anything what makes you so sure that halo will out shine super smash bros, gta4, mario galaxy, MGS4 ect. 1 game wont make anything different (unless the other consoles don't have any big games) anyway the only reason the wii is beating the 360 is because or the terrible sales in japan.

DSR4
August 25th, 2007, 02:02

It is a good conclusion but sorry it does not work like that.

In system wars only numbers tell who is the winner.

it will be like this...
You have the best console but your console sold little so what does that mean?

The Nintendo Wii will not reach 10m if it will not rely on games so why is the Wii on top?

It is because they have the best games right now.

The Nintendo Wii is the cheapest console and it is a great marketing strategy.

Shadowblind
August 25th, 2007, 02:41
would be interesting to know how games sell do??
after all that where microsoft and co make there money...

Personnally, I own a wii and a 360 but i barely switch on my wii anymore. I own 3 wii games and about 20 360 games...

Same here, except for the PS3 part. Im sad that there really isnt any real amazing quality games on the Wii yet. Truely, most games just, well haven't been very good. Compared to the 360s library of truly award winning quality games, the Wii looks like a DOS game.

BUT!

The Wii still is an amazing console and for the most part, I believe that the 360 and Wii are both winners! :D

Broadus
August 25th, 2007, 07:09
Cheap consoles sell better than consoles that cost twice as much.

VampDude
August 25th, 2007, 08:03
The Wii is awesome, it has the Virtual Console! (which every Wii owner will back me up and say VC is the best) :p

slappy1
August 26th, 2007, 05:23
thats stupid halo 3 wont change anything what makes you so sure that halo will out shine super smash bros, gta4, mario galaxy, MGS4 ect. 1 game wont make anything different (unless the other consoles don't have any big games) anyway the only reason the wii is beating the 360 is because or the terrible sales in japan.

Here is the issue. Halo 3 has online multiplayer, smash bros. doesn't.

Wii has a low attach rate, about 1 or 2 games a system last I heard. This is because people are modding there wii and copying borrowed games.

If someone copies Halo 3, they can't play it online because there console will be banned.

The Nintendo Wii has a huge piracy battle. I'm am certain people will rent Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros, etc and just copy them with their special LG drive, burn them, and play them on a modded Wii.

Online Play detects copied games, Nintendo needs to make games connect online automatically or not let the game be playable. Personally, I think they have problems here.

If I were a third party developer, I wouldn't develop sh*t for the Wii. Unless it was some stupid kids game, like boogie. Who would copy that crap that knows how to? Maybe thats why the wii is plagued with kids games.

Thanatos 2.0
August 26th, 2007, 06:58

You kinda missed the part where in a year or 2 I can play Halo 2 on my computer I don't think a year or two is worth 599 + it might be a defective one

Wii has a low attach rate, about 1 or 2 games a system last I heard. This is because people are modding there wii and copying borrowed games.

The beautiful thing about this is, alot of people who have a Wii know absolutely nothing about modding, and probably couldn't be bothered to learn and find out how to set it up

Online Play detects copied games, Nintendo needs to make games connect online automatically or not let the game be playable. Personally, I think they have problems here.

That there is the gold in the rough, a decent piece of advice, which Nintendo should do, but probably won't.

If I were a third party developer, I wouldn't develop sh*t for the Wii. Unless it was some stupid kids game, like boogie. Who would copy that crap that knows how to? Maybe thats why the wii is plagued with kids games.

Why wouldn't you develop for the Wii? whatever you put out there is more likely to be bough due to the large numbers of Cosumers who bought a Wii knowing next to nothing about gaming.

And anyways you proved my point when you said "who would copy that crap that knows how to?" how many people do you think know how to?

and Do not take your estimation from an online communities are they usually consist of gamers who know something about modding or have at least heard of it. (Espsically this site)

That being said, a 360 looks good, as I already have a Wii, and the high defective rate is what is staying my hand in buying one now.

Shadowblind
August 26th, 2007, 14:42
super smash bros is not really a kids game.

Yes pokemon is very childish but there very good games just try playing a pokemon game (on the gamboy or ds) you might like it. But don't expect the story to blow you away.

GTA4, Gears of War, Halo 3, Devil May cry 4, Dead or Alive 4 ect

...BioShock, Blacksite Area 51, DMC4. Fable 2, Postal 3, Too Human, Mass effect, ect....

VC= XBLA Apprentice

Wiiconnect= Nice excuse for XBL

PSN= Pathetic exuse for XBL

Thanatos 2.0
August 26th, 2007, 17:34
VC= XBLA Apprentice

Wiiconnect= Nice excuse for XBL

PSN= Pathetic exuse for XBL

It's always going to seem like that because Microsoft had it out first and had alot of time to refine it, not to mention Nintendo does not seem too interested in online, Playstation just started their service, being on the PS2 was just a free connection as long as you had the equipment. (I'm talking the old fat PS2)

Also don't forget Microsoft is actually charging people money, where as the others are free.

Anyways again, I really don't feel the need to play online on my console, as I can just do that on my PC.

Gold Line
August 27th, 2007, 03:00

If someone copies Halo 3, they can't play it online because there console will be banned.

The Nintendo Wii has a huge piracy battle. I'm am certain people will rent Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros, etc and just copy them with their special LG drive, burn them, and play them on a modded Wii.

all i said was halo wont do much since the wii and ps3 has great games coming out.

i never said anything about 1 game being better than the other.

and wii modding is not even popular and the wii = kids games argument is stupid please provide good reasons next time you try and bash a console.

i dont get why xbox's online play is so great you have to pay for it but the wii (when they finaly make online games) and the ps3's online is 100% free

Shadowblind
August 27th, 2007, 04:16
Nah, Halo is gonna sell tons and millions of 360s. But thats really only for the casual gamers and hardcore gamers. Ans GL, trust me I had no clue why XBL was so good/ but then I played it....wow....its like a whole 'nother vitrual world :D
But as for the Halo thing, Theres so many insane other games on 360. Im not gonna lie...I got my Wii for one game: SSBB.
Heck yeah thats gonna be a hel*uva game!