PDA

View Full Version : MasterBoy 2.0a - Game Boy, Sega Master and Game Gear Emulator for the PSP

wraggster
August 23rd, 2007, 17:57
Brunni (http://brunni.dev-fr.org/index.php?page=pspsoft_masterboy) has released a new version of his Game Boy, Sega Master and Game Gear Emulator for the PSP:

It features a skinnable interface with nice effects and quite a lot of options.

You can also listen to your favorite VGM and GYM files with the included music player.

Doesnt say whats new with release, most likely a bugfix release.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

bah
August 23rd, 2007, 19:26
For the Master System emulation alone Masterboy rocks.

MMSplus has been the best SMS emu since the first release IMO, more than enough reason for people to check out the release with its optimized SMS emulation.

That, and the UI carried over from MMSplus has to be the nicest I've seen in an emulator on the PSP.

The colorized (for lack of knowledge of the non-American spelling) gameboy games is an (great) added bonus. :)

Thanks Brunni.

Robert de Clair
August 23rd, 2007, 19:52
Old News :)

But emulator is awesome :) IMO
Many options and 2(or three) platform in one emu and music player :)

im throwing out rhin from my card.

drock82
August 23rd, 2007, 20:26
somebody seriously needs to take on the nes emulator-fceultra v2 for psp is far the best the only thing that needs tweaking is the sound-the compatibilty is far the best compare to ruka nes

Qmark
August 23rd, 2007, 20:30
How's the compatability?

drock82
August 23rd, 2007, 22:57
ruka most recent emulator i think is 60% compatibilty as for fce ultra v2 i give it 95% compatabilty-such titles wasnt able to play on ruka emulator such as karate champ,ice climber,lite force,metal gear solid-its amazing no one updated the nes emulator yet:mad:

I WANT A BETTER NES EMULATOR-WHOS WITH ME

usp8riot
August 23rd, 2007, 23:19
I"m with ya. NES needs more attention. I can feel it crying in the corner.

JKKDARK
August 23rd, 2007, 23:30
somebody seriously needs to take on the nes emulator-fceultra v2 for psp is far the best the only thing that needs tweaking is the sound-the compatibilty is far the best compare to ruka nes

hey this is a SMS/GG amulator thread, not NES :)

Jimmy_Nixon
August 23rd, 2007, 23:37
Anyone managed to colour any GBO roms? Tried Babelfish to translate the french instructions into english, but they don't make that much sense:(

Tesseract
August 24th, 2007, 00:00
The bug I spoke on in another thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=499396&postcount=14) regarding MasterBoy losing the ability to communicate with the Memory stick still seems to be happening in the updated version. I'm an old hand at emulation, so I'm generally pretty easygoing about bugs, but this one's kind of severe.

Hope Brunni patches this up so I can enjoy this smashing emulator for more than ten minutes at a time!

O-bake
August 24th, 2007, 00:36
I agree. No savestates are fatal for mobile gaming :(
And this emulator is by far the best the GB emulation has seen on the PSP for years!

Tesseract
August 24th, 2007, 00:45
Heh... It's not even just savestates. No SRAM, and no loading new ROMS (without restarting the emulator) after the bug manifests itself. That's fatal for ANY emulator.

Even so, it's far better than the bug RIN has with not properly auto detecting ROM type and being cranky with setting it manually. At least MasterBoy hasn't outright CRASHED on me! ^^

To duplicate this error, just go into a game (GB/GG/SMS) and plink around, saving and loading state as you go. After a number of save/loads, you'll notice that the confirmation in the lower left doesn't come up. You can switch and save state to RAM, but that won't do any good in the long term. If you dip back out to the Menu and select 'Load ROM', the text will fade but the directory structure will not display. Pressing Circle will back you up to the menu again, though.

T'be honest though, how the emulator handles this bug is a strange sort of testiment to how robust it is.... It doesn't even crash when tries but can't read form the MS anymore!

GrizzlY_lbc
August 24th, 2007, 00:59
Thanks for the emu this is cool.

andwhyisit
August 24th, 2007, 02:31
The colorized (for lack of knowledge of the non-American spelling) gameboy games is an (great) added bonus. :)

The non-american way to spell it (american spelling is color) is COLOUR.
The american way to spell it is COLOR.

Tesseract
August 24th, 2007, 02:54
Not to mention 'colourised' as opposed to 'colorized'. ;)

'course, I tend to be a hybrid freak and would normally type 'colorised'. :D

andwhyisit
August 24th, 2007, 04:59
Not to mention 'colourised' as opposed to 'colorized'. ;)

'course, I tend to be a hybrid freak and would normally type 'colorised'. :D
Another hybrid: colourized
but that is usually a misspelling of the word colourised.

Don't you just hate how most spell checkers use the american spelling.

bah
August 24th, 2007, 08:50
andwhyisit: I'm aware how to spell colour :)

Its just that most online dictionaries are American as you say, and the only confirmed spelling of it that I could find quickly was the American 'colorized'.
I thought it would probably be colourised or less likely colourized but really wasn't sure.

I really don't think it matters that much.

Has anyone else had Tesseract's problem?

drock82
August 24th, 2007, 15:27
now the only emulator that will make this combination complete is NES-but with better compatibilty!:thumbup:

bah
August 24th, 2007, 18:45
Tesseract: I just finished using this emu for a little over an hour playing wonder boy 1 for about 45 mins and alex kid for 20 or so.

I was using ram save often and the first memory stick slot occasionally with no problems. I tried quickly loading a few other roms before quitting and they worked fine.

I started playing wonder boy where I left off with my save from MMSplus by just renaming and moving it as the readme pdf says.

I'm running firmware 1.5 and have a 4gb sandisk ultra II card. Perhaps this issue is something to do with your PSP's setup rather than the emu?

Unless someone else can confirm they are having the same problem...

Tesseract
August 24th, 2007, 19:45
I'm using 3.52m33-3 with a SanDisk 2GB card. I've never had this problem with any other emulators, either... Is there perhaps a firmware compatibility issue?

Also, it doesn't seem to be a timed thing, rather a number-of-save-and-load thing. Try saving state and reloading state every few minutes or so.

I've played for a fairly long time on games without having the problem when I'm not using the Save state as often, but then I can re-create the bug quite reliably when I save/load state every 30-60 seconds.

Ziim
August 25th, 2007, 02:55
Is there anywhere to download color pack's that people have done? Super Mario Land is only colored for the first 2 worlds, than back to black and white. I think a place for peoples submissions would be grand.

Qmark
August 25th, 2007, 04:27
The problem with colorizing is that each tile needs its own codes, and a GB rom will have roughly 200-1000 tiles.

The process is fairly straighforeward, but it's just a huge pile of effort.

bah
August 25th, 2007, 15:25
...Also, it doesn't seem to be a timed thing, rather a number-of-save-and-load thing. Try saving state and reloading state every few minutes or so.

I've played for a fairly long time on games without having the problem when I'm not using the Save state as often, but then I can re-create the bug quite reliably when I save/load state every 30-60 seconds.

I was playing the later levels of wonder boy after a few beers, trust me I was saving/loading states quite frequently :)

Mostly using the ram save though, although I did use the first mstick slot a fair few times after reading your post and all worked fine.

I did manage to make the game crash once, I think I may have caused it by either going into/out of the menu or saving state while it was in the in-between level screen counting your score.
The emulator itself remained stable and I was able to enter the menu and reset the game, which is certainly on the minor end of the crash scale.
The ram state slot was fine and loaded straight back into the game again.

Have you had this issue with master system/game gear games or only gameboy ones? Perhaps it is an issue solely with the gameboy emulation part of the emu?

Hope you can get it sorted, this is a great app.

mcdougall57
August 25th, 2007, 15:36
very nice emulator

Tesseract
August 25th, 2007, 19:49
I'd thought of that, actually, and I was able to duplicate the bug with an SMS game (I think I was trying Aztec Adventure...)

Heh... Yeah, it IS a great app, which is why I'm still using it over RIN despite the problems I'm having. ;)

xg917
August 25th, 2007, 20:17
if it had multiplayer support then i would use it over RIN..

Tesseract
August 26th, 2007, 00:08
xg917: Oooooh... Multiplayer would definitely be on my wishlist, too!

bah: On a hunch, I moved the MasterBoy folder to the GAME folder as opposed to the GAME352 folder. No dice. Tried it with Sonic Chaos (GG), and still ran into the error.

On another test, I removed the DEFAULT.INI file and fired it up again. This time with Prince of Persia (SMS). Still couldn't savestate after a few successful saves/loads.

Heh... I'm running out of tricks. I don't have another PSP to test this on, unfortunately.

As for your crash, maybe Brunni installed a Breathalyser into the MasterBoy code. Things have just never been the same in Monsterland since Prohibition....

Brunni
August 26th, 2007, 20:40
Thanks for your compliments :)

The bug I spoke on in another thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=499396&postcount=14) regarding MasterBoy losing the ability to communicate with the Memory stick still seems to be happening in the updated version. I'm an old hand at emulation, so I'm generally pretty easygoing about bugs, but this one's kind of severe.

Hope Brunni patches this up so I can enjoy this smashing emulator for more than ten minutes at a time!
I can't reproduce this problem. I tried to save and load a hundred times, and no problem. After about how many saves exactly does this happen?
The only reason I see it could happen is by failing to open a file. Does this happen with RIN too? And what about other emus?

Heh... It's not even just savestates. No SRAM, and no loading new ROMS (without restarting the emulator) after the bug manifests itself. That's fatal for ANY emulator.
That's effectively fatal, but you know I would never have released it if it had this problem ;) And believe me, you are only the second one to report this. Please tell me which plugins or other tweaks you have on your PSP. Try to disable all plugins to see if the problem continues.

You can switch and save state to RAM, but that won't do any good in the long term. If you dip back out to the Menu and select 'Load ROM', the text will fade but the directory structure will not display. Pressing Circle will back you up to the menu again, though.
Seems like you ran out of RAM. I'd like to do more testing, can you add me to MSN? You can get my address on my site (http://brunni.dev-fr.org) (the last option "Contact me").

Note that another version which will NOT fix this bug will be released in between. It will include an english documentation about colorization ;)

Thanks

sasukexiii
August 27th, 2007, 04:35
For some reason, when I save pokemon crystal, and not by savestates but by the game itself, and I exit the emulator when I go back to play it I have to start a new game...Any one know why? doesnt this emulator support in-game saving?

EDIT: nvm just realised that you cant exit throught the home button, when I exit throught the emulator I dont get my save messed up

bah
August 27th, 2007, 08:34
Thanks for the excellent emu Brunni :)

Brunni
August 27th, 2007, 11:23
For some reason, when I save pokemon crystal, and not by savestates but by the game itself, and I exit the emulator when I go back to play it I have to start a new game...Any one know why? doesnt this emulator support in-game saving?

EDIT: nvm just realised that you cant exit throught the home button, when I exit throught the emulator I dont get my save messed up
Grr... it should work, there's no reason :/
I really don't know what is happening to a few PSP, I suppose you're in 3.52 M33 too? :(
Do you have plugins enabled?

Tesseract
August 28th, 2007, 04:53
Thanks for your compliments :)

Credit where credit is due, my friend. I hate pointing out a problem without making it clear that it's the exception from the whole.

I can't reproduce this problem. I tried to save and load a hundred times, and no problem. After about how many saves exactly does this happen?
The only reason I see it could happen is by failing to open a file. Does this happen with RIN too? And what about other emus?

Nope... This is the first and only time I've had a problem like this. I'm a habitual save-state user, too, so if any other Emulator gave me this problem, I'd have noticed it by now ;)

It happens after about 10-15 saves, but I never actually counted I'm afraid. The Only version of RIN I used was the one with the Reverse/Rewind mode on it, and I just played Picross, so SaveState wasn't as necessary.

That's effectively fatal, but you know I would never have released it if it had this problem ;) And believe me, you are only the second one to report this. Please tell me which plugins or other tweaks you have on your PSP. Try to disable all plugins to see if the problem continues.

I dislike using plugins, so nothing to worry about there. I have a custom XMB, but that's about it.

Seems like you ran out of RAM. I'd like to do more testing, can you add me to MSN? You can get my address on my site (http://brunni.dev-fr.org) (the last option "Contact me").

Heh... Only IM-type thing I use is GTalk. Swore off most IMs years ago after getting too stressed out over problems that other people had that had nothing to do with me. If you're on GMail, lemme know. If not, I can invite you if you like, or we can just continue here.

Note that another version which will NOT fix this bug will be released in between. It will include an english documentation about colorization ;)

Thanks

Excellent... I got that, and will play around with the Kernel mode tonight to see if I can get a diagnosis. I'm not really high enough level to attempt the colorising ( ;) ), but it's a nifty trick that is quite unique.

Don't suppose you could tack on that spiffy Rewind trick that so many Emu's have been sprouting lately....?

(Since The 2.01 release was designed to help diagnose this issue, I'm going to post my results there (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72300).)