PDA

View Full Version : Research firm still predicts Blu-ray high-def winner

wraggster
August 23rd, 2007, 18:30
Research firm Understanding & Solutions reiterated its stance that Blu-ray Disc will prove victorious in the high-definition format war, despite Paramount Home Entertainment's and DreamWorks Animation's move to back rival HD DVD exclusively.

During a breakfast update on consumer downloading and high-definition issues here Wednesday, U&S director Jim Bottoms cited as reason the larger number of studio titles produced exclusively for Blu-ray. Also, the Paramount/DreamWorks move to HD DVD exclusivity did not add any new titles to that side, he noted, since the studios until this week supported both formats.

Bottoms broke down studio market share within Blu-ray-exclusive studios, showing that Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment commands a 14% piece; 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, 16%; Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 18%; MGM Home Entertainment, 3%; and Lionsgate, 7%.
The HD DVD-only side accounts for 23% of the market, including 10% from Universal Studios Home Entertainment share and 13% from Paramount Home Entertainment.
Warner Home Video, producing in both HD DVD and Blu-ray, accounts for 19% of the high-def market.

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6471109

ElRazur
August 23rd, 2007, 19:34
The break down of those values and reason kinda makes sense. Whether, those factor would really hand it to blu ray is a different matter. However, time would tell.

Basil Zero
August 23rd, 2007, 22:19
Time will tell indeed, hopefully their right too :)

acn010
August 23rd, 2007, 22:23
blue ray is better..... i know,, and it will!!!!!

mavsman4457
August 24th, 2007, 17:56
I really would not care about this format war because it seems kinda dumb but I do already own Bluray movies and I've already got a bluray player in my PS3.

ElRazur
August 24th, 2007, 18:05
^^^ You should, there is a potential that your collection might become the losing format over time.

mavsman4457
August 24th, 2007, 18:12
^^^ You should, there is a potential that your collection might become the losing format over time.

Ya I'm saying I do care because I don't want to have to buy an HDDVD player. Of course this might be the last format of movies that we have before we just have them all in file format and ready for download. Who knows?