PDA

View Full Version : BioShock Installs a Rootkit

wraggster
August 26th, 2007, 01:19
via slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/24/213256)

Sony (the owner of SecureROM copy protection) is still up to its old tricks. One would think that they would have learned their lesson after the music CD DRM fiasco, which cost them millions. However, they have now started infesting PC gaming with their invasive DRM. Facts have surfaced that show that the recently released PC game BioShock installs a rootkit, which embeds itself into Explorer, as part of its SecureROM copy-protection scheme. Not only that, but just installing the demo infects your system with the rootkit. This begs the question: Since when did demos need copy protection?

bowmessage
August 26th, 2007, 03:03
That. Sucks. I want to play bioshock.. lol... But I might not get it because of this.. Is there a way to remove the rootkit?

DCergo
August 26th, 2007, 03:24
Securom does NOT install a rootkit, this has been debunked as FUD. A rootkit detector generated a false positive because of an asterisk in the registry for the Securom entries (you couldn't delete them without taking some extra steps).

Again, Securom does not install a rootkit.

From the blog author's site where this originated, in his own words:
I don't care if it is one or not. My point of this article is that the SecuROM service doesn't need to be included in the demo if we don't have to activate it.

Using "rootkit" brings in the traffic. The retard later retracts his story:

*REFERENCES TO ROOTKIT HAVE BEEN REMOVED, FURTHER INVESTIGATION HAS REVEALED A MISUNDERSTANDING IN THE THE SECUROM SERVICE (http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo/)

Lastly, 2K games website details that the Securom protection is not a rootkit (http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/pc_faq.html).

pibs
August 26th, 2007, 04:16
I also heard on Attack of the Show that the actual game can only be installed twice because of some anti-piracy software on it.

DCergo
August 26th, 2007, 04:28
I also heard on Attack of the Show that the actual game can only be installed twice because of some anti-piracy software on it.

The Securom protection limits the installs to 2 machines, but 2K games have been getting so much shit about that, they're increasing the limit to 5 machines.

To be clear, it means you can install it on 2 machines at a time. You can uninstall from one machine, then install on another.

Shadowblind
August 26th, 2007, 05:15
That. Sucks. I want to play bioshock.. lol... But I might not get it because of this.. Is there a way to remove the rootkit?

Extremely easy (I think) you might be able to take the folder that installs, since the update happens after the installation, (the Bioshock folder in program files) and copy it. Then put it somewhere else. When you press "cancel" to the update, just move the folder back into Program files. Voila!

mcdougall57
August 26th, 2007, 14:26
im sure well se a cracked version on torrents soon