PDA

View Full Version : GP2X F-200 Announced

wraggster
August 26th, 2007, 18:13
http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/new_gp.jpg

Gameparks Linux Based GP2X Console has been out since November 2005 boasting a fully homebrew orientated system and it has been a success with hundreds of emulators and games (http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/), applications and Demos released including the only handheld Sega 32X emulator.

Only a few days ago came word of a new revision of the GP2X dubbed F-200 which has a better shell, built in games, a Dpad instead of a joystick and best of all a Touchscreen.

Heres the listing of whats shipped with the console:

features
Color: White
All new touch screen interface
New and improced 8-way digital pad
Comes with various in-built games: Blocked, GhostPix, Cavestory, Phishy, Ruck-Man, SQdef
5 new game titels available at launch
Multi-tasking functionality: enjoy music while reading e-books or browsing photos
3.5 inch LCD screen with 320*240 (30 frames) resolution
Simple and convenient e-book viewer

More details on the GP2X can be found at GP2X Store (http://www.gp2xstore.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=101)/Play Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-d1-49-en-84-j-70-277b.html) with preorders opening soon.

Can the new look GP2X rival the PSP (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/) and Nintendo DS (http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/) for Homebrew and Emulation and even more into commercial gaming, that we will have to see. The touchscreen should make an interesting addition.

Anonymous D
August 26th, 2007, 18:14
if they increase the internal storage to, and a nice port of luaplayer *hopes* id be considering re buying this. i had one of the mk1 ones but i got it from a bad seeller so sent it back because of faults.

hadrian
August 26th, 2007, 18:22
GP2X pisses on the DS emulation and homebrew wise. PSP however is slowly taking over from it.

I won't buy another GP2X just for touchscreen.

Volsfan91
August 26th, 2007, 20:56
GP2X pisses on the DS emulation and homebrew wise. PSP however is slowly taking over from it.

I won't buy another GP2X just for touchscreen.Slowly nothing... it has had the edge for months, if not a year at least.

DarthPaul
August 26th, 2007, 22:30
Hey look a DS with homebrew! Wow,they can't be original...

parkermauney
August 26th, 2007, 22:38
This
Is
The
Best
Awesome
Rad
I've
Ever
Seen

Anonymous D
August 26th, 2007, 23:02
it is sort of liek that DarthPaul, when i had one of the mk1s it was liek this is almost a psp but not quite as good, and in fact in the end i got a psp.

chipan
August 26th, 2007, 23:24
The 2D emulators and 2D homebrew works a lot better on GP2X than works on a PSP.
Of course, The GP2X doesn't have dedicated 3D hardware nor a Playstation emu made by professionals; but it has more RAM, various legal Devkits and a group of sceners that works to improve the emus (while the psp developers only promove piracy).

the_eternal_dark
August 26th, 2007, 23:32

Lol, speaking of "original" remember all of the other people wanted to build a "touchscreen" for the psp?

And who is being original, the psp? They had to "shrink" it to try to boost sales (but unlike nintendo, sony won't see a huge sales increase), I'm willing to bet there will be a jump in psp sales for up to a month, then there will be a big problem with it and it will drop like a rock (how much you wanna bet that flimsy looking umd door gets the first problem??).

This version of the GP2x will open more homebrew capabilities than the psp or the ds will be able to see just because of the touch interface, power it can deliver, and the ease of development for it. Also, Linux... It was built for homebrew.

And for the record, I know that the PSP is more powerful in processing and rendering etc, so don't start the "GP2X blows teh nuts cuz it cain't does what ma PSP do, like playz PSP isoez or play teh oober 3d games!!11!!!1!one1!". Who cares, as I am getting less interested in power and focusing on the fun of games/applications made. I'm also talking in a sense of the ease to develop for the platform as power.

I know I'll be getting one of these, I sold my old GP2x before my move and have been regretting it ever since.

the_eternal_dark
August 26th, 2007, 23:38
The 2D emulators and 2D homebrew works a lot better on GP2X than works on a PSP.
Of course, The GP2X doesn't have dedicated 3D hardware nor a Playstation emu made by professionals; but it has more RAM, various legal Devkits and a group of sceners that works to improve the emus (while the psp developers only promove piracy).

I agree with you for the most part.

As for the developers promoting piracy, it may be true to some extent, but it's kinda like a 5 year old watching an NC-17 movie and having the parents bitch at the studios. You can't get mad at the studios for making the movie, just as you can't hold developers accountable for the choices of others, who do pirate, it should be up to the user (and in the child's case, the parent) to choose what is right and wrong.

DarthPaul
August 27th, 2007, 00:19
And who is being original, the psp? They had to "shrink" it to try to boost sales (but unlike nintendo, sony won't see a huge sales increase)

Ehm... don't you remember?
So Sony copied Nintendo because they released a lite PSP? What about the PSOne and PS2 Slim? Did they copy that too?

classicgmr
August 27th, 2007, 00:53
I owned a GP2X and every emulator of note ran fullspeed - at the time I sold mine they were just starting to port gPSP to the 2X so that may have been the exception - and the homebrew was absolutely incredible. The PSP cannot handle SNES emulation yet the GP2X and GP32 do it flawlessly. The PSP also can't even come close to touching the GP2X MAME emulation.

I sold my GP2X for one reason - I came to hate the joystick. I have no idea what they plan to do for the joystick click(if GPH even cares about backwards compatibility for it) but I would buy it for the D-Pad no question.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for this new release and I will buy one as soon as I can. This is great news. :)

osgeld
August 27th, 2007, 01:19
Ehm... don't you remember?
So Sony copied Nintendo because they released a lite PSP? What about the PSOne and PS2 Slim? Did they copy that too?

what about the second nes and snes, howabout the master system II, or the genesis II, or even the woodgrain vs chrome atari 2600?

so and so copied blah D blah because they made theirs smaller first is a retarded argument, its just the nature of electronics, as time progresses electronics get more powerful, and their predicesors get smaller

Junixx
August 27th, 2007, 01:53
what about the second nes and snes, howabout the master system II, or the genesis II, or even the woodgrain vs chrome atari 2600?

so and so copied blah D blah because they made theirs smaller first is a retarded argument, its just the nature of electronics, as time progresses electronics get more powerful, and their predicesors get smaller

I agree with you there, and don't forget the Genesis III :)

Whenever I get the money I will definatly be buying this..... I wanted to get a GP2X a while back but now it looks so much more inviting, the new GUI looks very nice along with the white color :thumbup:

luxoflux
August 27th, 2007, 02:05
I hope this time they didnt forget a type of gfx card because thats what stopped me from buying the
gp2x otherwise it woulda been a perfect handheld.

JKKDARK
August 27th, 2007, 02:49
Nintendo didn't make the touchscreen idea

andwhyisit
August 27th, 2007, 03:07
Inbuilt Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari)?
Did they get permission from Pixel for that?

mcdougall57
August 27th, 2007, 04:00
may buy this because it is a totally dedicated homebrew machine without limits

Thanatos 2.0
August 27th, 2007, 05:13
very nice, I am looking to get this or the PSP, but when this releases I'm probably going to go for this.

KaliKot
August 27th, 2007, 09:37

yeah but they took, ran and came away successful with it

yakumo
August 27th, 2007, 11:20
Will it be fully compatible with previous GP2X?

XioN980
August 27th, 2007, 14:43
Darthmaul: The psp wasn't the first console with homebrew, not buy a longshot, so how can the ds be blamed for unoriginality because it uses homebrew you silly little girl :(

I think this console has the potential to go places provided you can still use that wikid dock and the old brew for it.

The psp homebrew scene is nothing special, its blown way out of proportion and if anything is like the black album for metallica: Nothing special but popularized something

argor
August 27th, 2007, 16:59
Will it be fully compatible with previous GP2X?
as the built in games are made for gp2x f-100 mk 1-2 and internally thinks havenīt chance
so it suite be able to play all gp2x f-100 homebrew:cool:

DarthPaul
August 27th, 2007, 20:04

Yeah but those are whole new systems. What Sony did,was to release the same consoles smaller,that's all. Not calling it PSP2 or PS2 just because it was smaller.

On the video-gaming community,they did.

Darthmaul: The psp wasn't the first console with homebrew, not buy a longshot, so how can the ds be blamed for unoriginality because it uses homebrew you silly little girl :(

I think this console has the potential to go places provided you can still use that wikid dock and the old brew for it.

The psp homebrew scene is nothing special, its blown way out of proportion and if anything is like the black album for metallica: Nothing special but popularized something

The name's DarthPaul..:p And I know the PSP wasn't the first console with homebrew,but the DS was the first one with Touch-screen,that's what I meant you silly little cutie boy. Hey and don't mess with Metallica! They are the awesomeness,and yes,the Black Album was great. I love it,as well as all others. It has Sad but True! Enter the Sandman,Of wolf and man,etc... Metallica 4 Life!

osgeld
August 28th, 2007, 00:17
Yeah but those are whole new systems. What Sony did,was to release the same consoles smaller,that's all. Not calling it PSP2 or PS2 just because it was smaller.

no they are the exact same old systems in a smaller form factor, and the name addons were in house only

if you went out in 1986 and bought a nes you got a grey and black box, if you went out in 1991 and bought a nes you got a smaller white box, modeled to take after the super nintendo, but they were both called the
Nintendo Entertainment System, and there was no hardware changes

atari 2600? if you bought one in 1978 you got a rather large black and woodgrianed box, in 1982 (?) you got a black and chome box roughly half the size

master system? in 86 you got a maroon and black box, in 90 you got one half the size looking like the genesis, even further they shrank it down to a handheld

genesis in 1989 you got the one with the circle on top and maroon accents, by 94 you had one about 25% smaller, also with the sega cd addon went from the size of a VCR to a large diskman, then even further they shrank it down to a handheld

all of these are not new systems, just new form factors as time shrank components

yaustar
August 28th, 2007, 00:55
Too little too late really. The 'upgrade' is not buying another GP2X for. There is another handheld due for release next year with projected specs that look to be much better then this: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38044

geise69
August 28th, 2007, 01:42
Too little too late really. The 'upgrade' is not buying another GP2X for. There is another handheld due for release next year with projected specs that look to be much better then this: http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=38044

I've been following that thread for the past couple weeks. It really is sounding like it's going to be the homebrew handheld to be waiting for. This IS too little too late for GPH. I love my GP2X, but there were some issues, overall though I have been very pleased. Sega CD on the go and MAME, I love it. Plus all kinds of amazing homebrew games, and apps. A lot of people here should check out that thread Yaustar posted. It's going to be a nice handheld that some devs in the GP2X/GP32 scene have already been collaborating to help develop.