PDA

View Full Version : PAX: Not A PSP To Be Found

wraggster
August 26th, 2007, 19:00
via wired (http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/08/pax-not-a-psp-t.html)

When you're waiting for a panel to begin at PAX, or hanging around the beanbag chairs that litter the hallways, you notice something: practically everyone here has a handheld video game system. This is impressive enough, to turn on your DS and notice that every Pictochat room is full. But soon you notice something else: there's not a single PSP here. Eventually, after looking really really hard and finally asking somebody, I saw one solitary PSP at PAX.

What on earth happened? How did Sony manage to not even convert the hardest of the hardcore gamers? I imagine many of these people actually own a PSP. I just don't think they actually sit around and play it. It's really stunning to see.

Safari Al
August 26th, 2007, 19:04
wow same, never noticed that

Cokemusic
August 26th, 2007, 19:13
Is PAX an american thing , what is PAX lol ?

Ant-i
August 26th, 2007, 20:49
I think Penny Arcade Expo

burrito
August 26th, 2007, 20:57
psp has no pictochat, maybe that's why.

gusgus
August 26th, 2007, 21:03
That's the truth. I have a PSP and a DS and I play my PSP alot more. Just at the conventions I go to, I use my DS more because of PictoChat.

Broadus
August 26th, 2007, 21:23
What's this article for? What's PAX supposed to be? "Penny Arcade Expo"? What the hell is that? And really, who cares if a bunch of people who go to some place and call themselves "hardcore gamers" are only playing DSs? I play video games all the time, but I'm not enough of a loser about it to label myself with the term "gamer".
Perhaps Pictochat would be appealing, but the only time I've ever used Pictochat on my DS was with my girlfriend.

Veskgar
August 27th, 2007, 00:06
Well I say it all the time and I'll say it again. Its SONY's fault for not utilizing the wifi capabilities of the PSP to the fullest. Some sort of social netowrking with pspcam/mic over wifi would be a huge selling point. Not just for the PSP but for the extra hardware.

I guess this is coming soon supposedly and probably only for PSP Slim.

The more I think about it, it seems SONY just released the PSP without really knowing what the hell they were going to do or where they were going to go. And as a result they have been playing catch-up ever since.

Thank goodness there are some great 3rd party developers making really good games for the PSP.

xg917
August 27th, 2007, 01:09
sony was prolly high

Squidman
August 27th, 2007, 01:13
The more I think about it, it seems SONY just released the PSP without really knowing what the hell they were going to do or where they were going to go. And as a result they have been playing catch-up ever since.

well of course, this is their first gaming handheld, and this is Nintendo's 8th[?] hand-held console and now that the technology is out, they knew what they wanted to do. so basically, lets hope that they release some stuff to do with the PSPhat or [and] the Pandora battery works with the PSPSlim

Safari Al
August 27th, 2007, 01:25
Yeah sony needs to stop wimping out on wifi and use it more

VFerg
August 27th, 2007, 05:17
The 1 convention I attend a year that has a lot of people with hand helds has been the same result for me as well. For 3 years now I have been watching and seeing what people have and almost always the DS wins.

3 years ago was the first summer that psp was around and because of how new it was and even the DS at the time there were only a small group of people with any of them but at that time I would say the PSP had the upper hand beating out the DS 3 to 1.

2 years ago I pretty much didnt see a PSP in site anymore and DS was everywhere. I wasnt even trying to notice that the DS was everywhere but it just was. I could say that out of 100 people with DS's there may have been 2 or 3 people with PSP's. It was a pretty sad site.

This year it seems like both sides pretty much died down. DS had a decent size group and the psp had a really small group. Overall though DS still beat out the PSP about 10 to 1 which was what I expected.

As for me I carried my PSP around the first year I went since it was so new and wanted to see others with it as well. On top of that it was the first weekend the first true exploit came out with the memory card swap trick and everybody was doing so much with the system at the time. I woul imagine that others think that the PSP is more personal and not as easy to pull out in public places to start using as much as a DS is. I feel that I rarely bring my PSP out anymore but it doesnt mean I dont use it in the house a lot.

kjetil1991
August 27th, 2007, 18:49
yeah why havent noone making a chatclient on psp? i bet it would have own picto chat so bad

nakko
August 27th, 2007, 23:24
Yet in a newer thread some guy talks about how they had PSP girls roaming around, with PSP's tethered to belts around women hired for this purpose (just like they had at the last "real" E3 for example).

Inaccurate!! Didn't look hard enough! wtflol, etc.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72356

Shadowblind
August 27th, 2007, 23:26
I sure do use my PSP more!

But its not really because of the crap Sony sends out for it. Homebrew, thats it. The PSP, not homebrewed, is for the light gamer only. Emphasis on light.